Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Donovan Trip posted:

hi guys, i haven't posted since december 2020 in this very thread. Since then I turned 8k into enough for a new car, a house, a restaurant, to start a family, and built a huge network leading me to take my first role at a crypto company in April. I hope you all had as great a time as I did!
Congrats! My lotto ticket didn't pan out but I'm glad yours did.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Sorry, I wish I had the financial stability of both being invested in crypto and owning a restaurant, both very well know financially prudent "investments" with regular predictable returns and near zero catastrophic liability potential.

LOL

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Donovan Trip posted:

hi guys, i haven't posted since december 2020 in this very thread. Since then I turned 8k into enough for a new car, a house, a restaurant, to start a family, and built a huge network leading me to take my first role at a crypto company in April. I hope you all had as great a time as I did!

The Herbalife people told me the same.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Intel announced some mining hardware: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-announces-bitcoin-mining-initiative-bonanza-mine-chips-ship-this-year

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Donovan Trip posted:

I have two six figure salaries, your bragging ain't gonna work on me, dawg.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Oh gently caress you intel. You should be designing CPUs that combust when it detects mining activity, not promoting this poo poo

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

Oh gently caress you intel. You should be designing CPUs that combust when it detects mining activity, not promoting this poo poo

Eh, these look like custom chips designed to compete with other ASIC mining hardware. Nothing of interest for anyone else. What's annoying is the bit at the end:

quote:

Intel will also not limit the mining performance of its standard Arc Alchemist GPUs that will come to market soon, allowing it to compete with its old rivals AMD and Nvidia in other types of cryptocurrency mining (like Ethereum).

So more GPUs that will be nearly impossible to find and price-gouged when available :toot:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The_Franz posted:

Eh, these look like custom chips designed to compete with other ASIC mining hardware. Nothing of interest for anyone else. What's annoying is the bit at the end:

So more GPUs that will be nearly impossible to find and price-gouged when available :toot:

Intel is in the rare position of actually being able to pick and choose what a large amount of silicon foundries are spending time and resources on. Allocating any of it to stuff that can only be use for mining is absolutely reprehensible.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
On the other hand, Intel jumping in on it means crypto will be dead within 24 months :haw:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

On the other hand, Intel jumping in on it means crypto will be dead within 24 months :haw:

I've seen "all of this is gonna be gone in two years" from multiple sources now. At this point I think I believe that. Maybe it could have gone to the moon- not that the whales could have survived that- but it overplayed its hand and now we are in the collapse phase. Big companies providing hardware for your sneaky moneymaking trick is them selling the picks and shovels, which indicates that the gold just isn't worth digging for.

The real question is, who's gonna build the last miner and how much will they lose doing it?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

On the one hand I’m concerned about the world burning up, but hey! this probably means more bonuses for me, since I work for a company making semiconductor testing equipment.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Somfin posted:

I've seen "all of this is gonna be gone in two years" from multiple sources now. At this point I think I believe that. Maybe it could have gone to the moon- not that the whales could have survived that- but it overplayed its hand and now we are in the collapse phase. Big companies providing hardware for your sneaky moneymaking trick is them selling the picks and shovels, which indicates that the gold just isn't worth digging for.

The real question is, who's gonna build the last miner and how much will they lose doing it?

Yah my silly statement was more a slam on intel and their trend following ways rather than a prediction, but I hope it is also correct.

The picks and shovels thing is very apt. It’s interesting because an industrial electric supply and installation company I sometimes see pop up on my linkedin because a mutal is friends with the owner is now making containerized bitcoin farms which are being shipped down south to be put on barges around louisiana. I don’t know what to make of that other than where they are being made has some of the cheapest electricity in North America and I can’t see how electricity is cheaper where they are going. Struck me as odd.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Donovan Trip posted:

LMAO your MineCraft RP Server achievements don't count.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Crain posted:

LMAO your MineCraft RP Server achievements don't count.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

HolHorsejob posted:

Yes, of course I'd like to put my life savings into this haphazard, immature financial system that suffers from major heists every few months days due to poorly-deployed security industrywide.

Fixed that for you. If you remove major, it drops to hourly.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Just wanna say this for any other goons who may lurk this thread holding bitcoin or other monopoly money who don't wanna come forward and get eviscerated: I will take great pleasure when your pyramid scheme collapses and you get left holding your worthless string of numbers in your worthless virtual bank. Your forthcoming hardship and sorrow keeps me in good spirits and gives me something to look forward to!

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
You are but the grease for the wheels of his rule.
What are people's thoughts on USDC? They seem to have almost entirely replaced Tether in terms of stablecoin printing lately and are already up to 52 billion "dollars." AFAIK they've never been properly audited and it seems likely their backing is just as flimsy as Tether's, but they're not getting much attention and I'm not really sure why.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tiax Rules All posted:

What are people's thoughts on USDC? They seem to have almost entirely replaced Tether in terms of stablecoin printing lately and are already up to 52 billion "dollars." AFAIK they've never been properly audited and it seems likely their backing is just as flimsy as Tether's, but they're not getting much attention and I'm not really sure why.

I think they are poo poo, OP.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Tiax Rules All posted:

I think they do a better job of handling PR and marketing such that they seem to have less dirt on them than Tether, but that's all irrelevant because there's not really any legitimate use case for dollar-backed stablecoins, the only reason for them to exist (e: from their customers' standpoint) is to evade banking and securities laws/regulations. What's the point getting into the weeds on how legitimate this particular issuer of a fundamentally-illegitimate thing is? tl;dr:

Paladinus posted:

I think they are poo poo, OP.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/12/...%20and%20Design

quote:

Felix Xu started his NFT art collection by purchasing a Chromie Squiggle, generated by an algorithm. Today, Xu, a 29-year-old Chinese tech executive, has more than 3,000 blockchain-based collectibles. But there is a hole burning in his crypto wallet that he would like to fill with real paintings. His budget stretches toward $500,000 and he is already on the wait-list for in-demand artists who use paint and moving brushes like Zhang Zipiao.

So in December, Xu, a founder and chief executive of the start-ups Arpa and Bella Protocol, ventured through the gallery booths of Art Basel Miami Beach, where dealers from David Zwirner and Pace Gallery tried bending his ear toward the contemporary art market. He was looking for an education; they were looking for a sale.

“I was really amazed with all the sculptures and paintings,” Xu said in an interview, crediting the fair with expanding his interest from blue-chip modernists like Picasso toward living artists like Nigel Cooke and Jessie Makinson.

Xu is among the increasing number of NFT collectors looking to invest their cryptocurrency in something tangible: a traditional art collection, starting with the painting he bought in January by Renqian Yang, a Chinese artist living in New York.

The crypto NFT whales are selling their crypto and buying actual valuable art in a shocking turn about for people absolutely not looking to offload their crypto NFTs into an actual assets.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Diamond hands indeed.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Three Olives posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/12/...%20and%20Design

The crypto NFT whales are selling their crypto and buying actual valuable art in a shocking turn about for people absolutely not looking to offload their crypto NFTs into an actual assets.

Sounds like FUD he's NGMI

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i need to know what ja thinks about NFTs...

https://twitter.com/jarule/status/1492843150620168196

.. :ohdear:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
. oops

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

NFTs are the FYRE festival of financial decisions.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/xenxra/status/1493597560283533315

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

:golfclap:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/polearmguy/status/1493583435767685126

lmaooo

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

This all continues to remind me about how it was widely reported that Mark Cuban (BTW, an idiot), was the first person to buy a private jet via the internet in the Dotcom bubble, like he just put it on his debit card and the dropped it off at the airport two days later with a FedEX pilot flying the thing and a barcode slapped on the side. Netjets does not have a checkout button today.

Web3, Crypto, Meta, anyone over the age of 40 knows this disaster first hand, it loving ruined people, they took their lives over Beenz, it's simply remarkable to watch.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tiax Rules All posted:

They've printed over $10bn USDC so far this year, and claim to be fully backed, meaning they'd have to have taken in that much in deposits in the last six weeks. $10bn in yearly deposits would put them in the top 150 banks in the US by deposit volume. ~$86bn, which is where that would put them in a year, would land them at ~30.

How likely do you think that actually is?

https://twitter.com/usdcoinprinter

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 16, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

holy poo poo LOL!!!!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ah yes grow A single weed with your pringles/fleshlight sized deviced.

jesus gently caress are nft bagholders stupid as gently caress. like i hope the personthat made the render got a standard pay.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It makes me think, have all the kickstarter grifters moved to nft/crypto bullshit now?

They were probably ready to drop the renders on kickstarter and thought oh poo poo slap some crypto on it instead

e: also this is good for bitcoin...?

https://twitter.com/TheRegister/status/1493827370758905856

priznat fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 16, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
also I love the incel Hikikomori energy.

"grow your own one weed from your bed room."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I remember that graph, seems more like it coincides extremely well with more the 08 crash and subsequent not-really-recovery meaning a generation of young people suddenly have no opportunities and no hope to ever move out of their parents' house.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Donovan Trip posted:

im a social worker making like 20k a year and cant afford speculative investments but you can send me some money if you want

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

finally, a chart in this thread that makes sense.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

How does the weed have anything to do with NFT? :psyduck:

edit:

quote:

Banning any use of community created NFTs related to Magic is like banning any other group of technologies outright - it unfairly discriminates against web3 tech and web3 communities.
:allears:

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

The graph title draws the wrong conclusion from the data. The method of measurement makes it clear that Bitcoin is actually turning dudes gay, which is the first good thing to come out of Bitcoin.