Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The World Inferno posted:

The entitlement from that "New MTG Project" is bewildering. It's so wild to see someone blatantly say: hey I'm going to try to make a profit off a major corp's IP, and then act disappointed when said major corp slaps them down.

Heck, their site openly flaunts the idea that they'd make enough $$ off this to buy Magic from Wizards of the Coast.

Yes, I'm sure Hasbro will be eager to sell their cash cow, given how profitable it has been in 2021...

https://mtgrocks.com/2021-is-the-best-selling-year-ever-for-mtg-beating-2020-records/

quote:

2021 is the Best Selling Year Ever for MTG, Beating 2020 Records
Emma Partlow
28, OCT, 21

Magic: The Gathering has broken revenue records for the second year in a row.

Hasbro has announced that MTG has already beaten its record-breaking 2020, with 2021 already being the game’s best year ever even with the release of Innistrad: Crimson Vow coming in November.

On the quarterly earnings call, the three sets Modern Horizons 2, Strixhaven: School of Mages, and D&D: Adventure in the Forgotten Realms all performed above expectations. With D&D Adventure in the Forgotten Realms, it is on track to be the best-selling summer set of all time, beating Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths which came out last year.

This may not come as a surprise since Adventure in the Forgotten Realms offers a crossover between D&D and MTG, merging two of the most popular Wizards of the Coast’s IPs in an expansion set. This will set a trend over the next few years with Universes Beyond offering collaborations with Games Worksop, Netflix, and Capcom, so expect profits to rise over this time.

Within the call, Hasbro also discussed how MTG Arena performed this year so far, with an emphasis on the digital client being a “critical source of new players to the game”. Wizards of the Coasts‘s CEO Chris Cocks said that MTG Arena was not removing the player base, but growing on the existing ecosystem and making a case that players were migrating from to and from tabletop through MTG Arena.

It was also confirmed that at the end of Q3, 2021 had taken over 2020 as being the game’s most profitable year ever. This includes products that just came out such as Innistrad: Midnight Hunt, and the Pioneer Challenger Decks 2021 which are yet to have official revenue numbers.

Overall, Hasbro are happy with Wizards of the Coast‘s performance, saying that the company are on track to double its 2018 revenue by the end of 2021, which is two years ahead of schedule. Even with the good news, Hasbro mentioned that they lost $100 million due to supply chain issues in the US, making stock demands tricky to meet. With that, these issues are still ongoing with Innistrad: Crimson Vow Set Boosters unlikely to be available for its release next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

rickiep00h posted:

The most incredible thing about hype/con men is that they all have the same bullshit speech about how revolutionary their *extremely stupid* project with obvious flaws will be. Every single one.

A Cambrian explosion of the metagame. loving lol.

dan olsen talks in his video about how most nft/dao projects these days basically leave the "point" of the nft offering "up to the community to decide." usually that means like "let them decide if their apes will be in a comic book or an mmo" (which as we all know, will never happen). but it's extra funny here with mtgdao because there's no actual upfront vision for the format! like why would you even want in the first place to buy into this format when you have no idea what it's even going to be on the most basic and fundamental levels!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Strong Sauce posted:

if you watched dan olsen's "line goes up" video.. he talks about a coin called inuyasha coin using the name and art from the manga.. when an interviewer asks him basically the same question, "how do you think this is legal to do" the guy basically just mumbles that he didn't create the art and since its already been used and put onto the blockchain there's nothing that can be done about the illegal copyright theft.
i've marked the section. 2:06:02 if it doesn't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g&t=7562s

edit: the point being these dummies think they can just steal content because of blockchain
Inuyasha Coin is currently trading to be roughly 2% of a penny

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Froghammer posted:

Inuyasha Coin is currently trading to be roughly 2% of a penny

so its the perfect time to buy in, is what you're telling me?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
The gf and I enjoy cracking packs, and have opened two neon kamigawa set booster boxes so far, slapping decks together as we go. Greasefang hoverbike gang with various mechs is definitely my favorite thing right now. We've got a draft with some friends set up for this weekend, it's gonna be dope.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The other day I learned that replicated shattering spree gets around chalice of the void, I guess because the copied spell isn't being cast

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Chun seems nuts, right? Cast Time Warp every turn?

Gief seems cool and would be an awesome stax commander if he had better colours. It seems like there has to be some way to bust Blanka. The rest aren't particularly good commanders IMO. Honda is a joke and who gives a poo poo about anything Guile is doing. I hope at least some of these guys are Legacy playable.

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 15, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The other day I learned that replicated shattering spree gets around chalice of the void, I guess because the copied spell isn't being cast

The copy doesn't haver a cmc of 1

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Chun Li has multickicker. Mission accomplished.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sim has Reach too lol, and Guile is in Jeskai colours.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Maybe this is a take people will disagree with, but I wish they committed to push all the cross branded SL stuff to make them very playable/strong. We're never going to get an E. Honda card again so why blow it on some crap?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

fadam posted:

Gief seems cool and would be an awesome stax commander if he had better colours. It seems like there has to be some way to bust Blanka. The rest aren't particularly good commanders IMO. Honda is a joke and who gives a poo poo about anything Guile is doing. I hope at least some of these guys are Legacy playable.

Chun is instants only so no Time Warp shenanigans but she still seems very powerful for casual play.

fadam posted:

Maybe this is a take people will disagree with, but I wish they committed to push all the cross branded SL stuff to make them very playable/strong. We're never going to get an E. Honda card again so why blow it on some crap?

They make so many of these that pushing them all would be supremely hosed up.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
SMDH if yall thought Guile was gonna be anything other than red, white, and blue.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

LeafHouse posted:

Chun is instants only so no Time Warp shenanigans but she still seems very powerful for casual play.

Oh you're totally right, I misread that. I guess you can cast Nexus every turn a bit earlier!

LeafHouse posted:

They make so many of these that pushing them all would be supremely hosed up.

Would it? Does the game get worse if the number of CEDH viable commanders goes up by sub double digits every few months? I guess the chances of accidentally printing something busted might be way too high. I just love Street Fighter and it sucks how weak a lot of these guys are.

Reynold posted:

SMDH if yall thought Guile was gonna be anything other than red, white, and blue.

It's awesome that he's Jeskai, I just wish he did more than bolt something every other turn.

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 15, 2022

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I like Gief because he's Jund but doing something different, I like Jund but I don't really like the Jund commanders

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

I like Gief because he's Jund but doing something different, I like Jund but I don't really like the Jund commanders

Yeah, I also like the idea of putting lure effects on him and just owning a whole board of dorks + rocks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

No it does. They were right: Chalice triggers when you cast a spell. Copying that spell won't 'cast' the copy. The copy will just appear on the stack asking politely if it its turn to resolve.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

No it does. They were right: Chalice triggers when you cast a spell. Copying that spell won't 'cast' the copy. The copy will just appear on the stack asking politely if it its turn to resolve.

Yeah

707.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object’s characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The copiable values are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by its face-down status, and by “as . . . enters the battlefield” and “as . . . is turned face up” abilities that set power and toughness (and may also set additional characteristics). Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Is Pact of Negation a LOT worse in modern than force of negation? I suppose it depends on if you're shutting down someone else's gamewinning combo, allowing you to win on the next turn, vs stopping someone shutting down YOUR gamewinning combo, letting you win on the spot.

But for things like Living End, I'm not sure. Lets say in the unlikely situation where you don't have ~$300 to drop on a set of forces, what's a good substitute? What are you normally countering with them and how early? I see most lists run them maindeck, so is it to protect yourself while you go off, or is it just that good against every deck?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

A Moose posted:

Lets say in the unlikely situation where you don't have ~$300 to drop on a set of forces, what's a good substitute?

four pieces of paper each with "force of negation" scrawled in crayon

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A Moose posted:

Is Pact of Negation a LOT worse in modern than force of negation? I suppose it depends on if you're shutting down someone else's gamewinning combo, allowing you to win on the next turn, vs stopping someone shutting down YOUR gamewinning combo, letting you win on the spot.

But for things like Living End, I'm not sure. Lets say in the unlikely situation where you don't have ~$300 to drop on a set of forces, what's a good substitute? What are you normally countering with them and how early? I see most lists run them maindeck, so is it to protect yourself while you go off, or is it just that good against every deck?

I have frequently cast FoN without having enough mana to pay the Pact cost. I think it has its place in Modern but it's a lot worse than FoN. Pact is better in decks that want to protect their own combos obviously.

Living End I think you want FoN for sure. If you (rightly) don't want to spend that kind of money I'd look into alternative card sources.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

For stuff like Living End or other decks that work off Cascade you can also try to prevent them from being able to cast it with stuff like Void Mirror or Teferi Time Raveler.

EDIT: Oh for playing IN Living End. Lol

Pablo Nergigante fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 15, 2022

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Sickening posted:

Yes it does. It doesn’t get countered because copies of spells are not cast.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A Moose posted:

So here's the issue with Pact in living end: It costs 5 mana.
Which means you can't cast outburst on 3 on the opponenet's turn and protect it with pact because you'll untap with 3 lands and be unable to pay.

E: Ad Naus and infect probably care less since you're ending the game right then and there. Or belcher where you can untap and kill them before the trigger resolves.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

fadam posted:

Would it? Does the game get worse if the number of CEDH viable commanders goes up by sub double digits every few months? I guess the chances of accidentally printing something busted might be way too high. I just love Street Fighter and it sucks how weak a lot of these guys are.

I think a drop of 10 cEDH level commanders would be horrible. There’s a wide gulf between good/interesting and cEDH viable. I’d rather see their effects tuned up so they’re playable but not to the point that they become staples at the highest level of what’s generally a casual format.

I’m no cEDH expert but there are what, 25ish viable commanders at that level? Dumping 10 more into that pool every few months seems problematic, especially since these cards will be used outside the command zone. Magic is already too focused on the short term and power creep would get insane after a few years of this.

Of course this is all setting aside how much I would personally hate to have to face constant Universes Beyond decks. Also ignoring the economic aspects of locking cEDH power cards in secret lairs (until their eventual non-UB printing).

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 15, 2022

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

So here's the issue with Pact in living end: It costs 5 mana.
Which means you can't cast outburst on 3 on the opponenet's turn and protect it with pact because you'll untap with 3 lands and be unable to pay.

E: Ad Naus and infect probably care less since you're ending the game right then and there. Or belcher where you can untap and kill them before the trigger resolves.

Is ad nauseum still a deck after the Lightning storm + Simian Spirit Guide plan got banned? I used to play that one a bit on MTGO and it was kinda fun, but I can't imagine ever casting Ad Nauseum + Angel's Grace + a wincon with how much more powerful every other deck got since like, 7 or 8 years ago

A Moose fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 15, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A Moose posted:

Is ad nauseum still a deck after the Lightning storm + Simian Spirit Guide plan got banned? I used to play that one a bit on MTGO and it was kinda fun, but I can't imagine ever casting Ad Nauseum + Angel's Grace + a wincon with how much more powerful every other deck got since like, 7 or 8 years ago

It's not seeing much play, but it pops up from time to time.
Currently you play Thasia's Oracle to win after resolving Ad Naus or Spoils of the Vault. It was happy to get Profane Tutor out of MH2 even if right now modern is dominated by MH2's one drops.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

LeafHouse posted:

I think a drop of 10 cEDH level commanders would be horrible. There’s a wide gulf between good/interesting and cEDH viable. I’d rather see their effects tuned up so they’re playable but not to the point that they become staples at the highest level of what’s generally a casual format.

I’m no cEDH expert but there are what, 25ish viable commanders at that level? Dumping 10 more into that pool every few months seems problematic, especially since these cards will be used outside the command zone. Magic is already too focused on the short term and power creep would get insane after a few years of this.

Of course this is all setting aside how much I would personally hate to have to face constant Universes Beyond decks. Also ignoring the economic aspects of locking cEDH power cards in secret lairs (until their eventual non-UB printing).

There's way more than that if you count all the fringe stuff, but fair points. Sorry Honda fans, this is all you get.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There just aren't a lot of straight up combo decks in modern right now. Sure you've got Hammer or Goblins but these decks have fully functional game plans when they're not combing off. It's not like they have 20 lands, 8 combo pieces and then 32 cantrips with the ability to devote 4 slots to a free combo spell.
Living End is probably the last one that can only win via combo and sees signifigant play. It's just not worth it to play a t4 combo deck like Pif/Twiddle Storm when Ragavan and and a Murktide can kill you at the same speed and hold up a counterspell.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

fadam posted:

ken looks like the strongest of the bunch by a longshot. ryuchads... we lost... again...
i like the cards, tho. their fun to read and thats all that matters 2 me.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

reading magic cards is fun smile

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

It's pretty hilarious that Ryu's Hadouken has an untap symbol in its cost (since that's the joystick input required)

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

fadam posted:

who gives a poo poo about anything Guile is doing
They literally made Guile red white and blue

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I can’t read any of them

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

uggy posted:

I can’t read any of them

had the same problem. this was a leak and the tweet got deleted. i resized it and its slightly more readable.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

cnp from a reddit post

E. Honda, Sumo Champion - 4WW

Legendary Creature - Human Warrior

Sumo Spirit - As long as it's your turn, each creature assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.
Hundred Hand Slap - Whenever ~ attacks, up to one hundred creatures each get +0/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of cards in your hand.

0/7

Ryu, World Warrior - 2W

Training
Hadoken - 4R, Untap, Discard a card: ~ deals damage equal to his power to any target. If excess damage was dealt to a creature this way, draw a card.

2/4

Ken, Burning Brawler - 1RR

Prowess

R/W: Ken gains first strike until end of turn.

Shoryuken - Whenever ~ deals combat damage, you may cast a sorcery spell from your hand with mana value less then or equal to that damage without paying its mana cost.

4/2

Blanka, Ferocious Friend - 3RG

Legendary Creature - Human Beast Warrior

Haste
Rolling Attack - ~ has trample as long as you've cast three or more spells this turn.
Electric Thunder - Whenever ~ becomes the target of a spell, he gets +2/+2 until end of turn and deals 2 damage to each opponent.

5/5

Chun-Li, Countless Kicks - 1WU

Multikicker W/U
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile up to X target instant cards from your graveyard, where X is the number of times ~ was kicked. Put a kick counter on each of them.
Lightning Kick - Whenever ~ attacks copy each exiled card you own with a kick counter on it. You may cast the copies.

3/3

Dhalsim, Pliable Pacifist - 2GW

Legendary Creature - Human Monk

Reach
Teleport - ~ has hexproof unless he's attacking.
Whenever a creature you control with reach attacks, untap it and it can't be blocked by creatures with greater power this combat.
Fierce Punch - Whenever one or more creatures you control deal combat damage to a player, draw a card.

1/3

Guile, Sonic Soldier - 1URW

Legendary Creature - Human Soldier

Whenever ~ enters the battlefield or attacks, put a charge counter on him or remove one from him. When you remove a counter this way, choose one -
Sonic Boom - ~ deals ??? damage to any target.
insert ability here - ~ gains ?? and indestructible until end of turn.

4/4

Zangief, the Red Cyclone - 2BRG

~ must be blocked if able
Iron Muscle - As long as it's your turn, ~ has indestructible.
Spinning Piledriver - Whenever ~ deals damage to a creature, if that creature was dealt excess damage this turn, that creature's controller sacrifices a noncreature, nonland permanent.

7/?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Froghammer posted:

They literally made Guile red white and blue

That's cool, I can't wait to make a whole deck around a commander that does damage to a target every other turn.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hehe they gave Chun-Li multikicker.
Also lol at E Honda

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

IMO it's a huge flavour fail that Guile gets the charge counters from attacking. He should get them for not attacking or blocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lets Pickle posted:

It's pretty hilarious that Ryu's Hadouken has an untap symbol in its cost (since that's the joystick input required)

Ok that's awesome