Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Randarkman posted:

This may have changed in the editions, and I mostly just played in 5th and 6th (and a little bit at the start of 7th) but I remember dispelling being an "army" thing not tied to a specifc one of your caster, they just generated the magic dice, whcih could be allocated for either casting or dispelling (or were they separate?). That's also how Dwarf magic resistance worked out, they couldn't cast spells, but they could dispel and several of their characters (and possibly even units) did generate magic dice (runesmiths with anvils generating the most of all), which would naturally all be used for dispelling.

I may be wrong about characters not dispelling now that I think about it, I at least remember items like dispel scrolls and such that could be used to automatically dispel a spell and things like that were equipped on individual characters.

This is correct, I just mis-remembered and thought power dice and dispel dice were separate things. Forgot they drew from the same pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

This is correct, I just mis-remembered and thought power dice and dispel dice were separate things. Forgot they drew from the same pool.

Okay. In general I think the basic idea of the system was kind of interesting from a flavor perspective, as it basically encouraged you to bring lower level wizards alongside your primary higher-level wizard. WIth the primary wizard essentially being the one to cast the important spells, and the other ones there could essentially be thought of as "channeling" magic for that primary spell-caster and to provide additional defense, allowing you to cast at full power while still leaving you some dice to defend yourself with. Slann also had an interesting mechanic with the Skink-priests in that they could cast their spells through the skink priests wherever they were on the table, drawing LOS and range from them instead of the Slann.

In practice I think and sort of remember the magic system mostly being clunky and pretty prone to 1) going into battle with spells that weren't what you needed and 2) those spells just failing.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Question, is it too late to pre-order this game, or can I do so up to February 16th, 11:59 p.m.?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Question, is it too late to pre-order this game, or can I do so up to February 16th, 11:59 p.m.?

You still get the Ogres from buying it after release for about a week or so.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
There is some interesting lore tidbits realeased on total war access :

- Mentions of "Ungol riders"
- Kostaltyn is literally on a witch hunt against the Hags.
- Yuri and Katarin are childhood friends and ended up becoming lovers.
- Mother Ostankya is no myth and neither are her "shadow creatures".
- The Ungols are protecting the Hags.
- Grand Citadel guards, the guardians of the religious sites of Kislev, think of Vatican Guards, possible DLC?
- Kostaltyn seems to want to replace the monarchy with a theocracy "led by by the faithful".

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I hope if they do Ungol they are more than just shirtless light cavalry. We've got enough marauder cavalry as it is. Make them interesing and unique, base them off the Xiongnu or something.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dramicus posted:

I hope if they do Ungol they are more than just shirtless light cavalry. We've got enough marauder cavalry as it is. Make them interesing and unique, base them off the Xiongnu or something.

Why would you base them off an ancient empire on the border of China instead of the various Turkic peoples that interacted (and importantly also mixed with, alot of the early Cossacks as well as some noble families were of Tatar descent) with Russia and the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth and even their predecessors? If you are to actually stick to the the Tatar/Siberian/Kazakh* thing that was kind of set up in the RPG sourcebook (though also giving them elements from Russian folklore like the baba yaga stuff), then they should draw visually from that (and no, those were not shirtless light cavalry), not the Xiongnu.

*Though to be honest there's elements from the prologue, and that short story which make me apprehensive about this and it's possible they may have decided to drop that aspect of it and characterize them more as distinctly Slavic Cossacks. Though we'll see when it actually comes time, I just hope it doesn't end up like that.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 15, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

Why would you base them off an ancient empire on the border of China instead of the various Turkic peoples that interacted (and importantly also mixed with, alot of the early Cossacks as well as some noble families were of Tatar descent) with Russia and the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth and even their predecessors. If you are to actually stick to the the Tatar/Siberian/Kazakh* thing that was kind of set up in the RPG sourcebook (though also giving them elements from Russian folklore like the baba yaga stuff), then they should draw visually from that (and no, those were not shirtless light cavalry), not the Xiongnu.

*Though to be honest there's elements from the prologue, and that short story which make me apprehensive about this and it's possible they may have decided to drop that aspect of it and characterize them more as distinctly Slavic Cossacks. Though we'll see when it actually comes time, I just hope it doesn't end up like that.

Whatever they base them off of, I just hope we don't get more shirtless light cav. I picked Xiongnu because they have cool armor and cool hats.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I look forward to the inevitable Nutcracker DLC pitting Kislev against the Skaven.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Randarkman posted:

In practice I think and sort of remember the magic system mostly being clunky and pretty prone to 1) going into battle with spells that weren't what you needed and 2) those spells just failing.

Yeah, magic was devastating to your enemy if you could cast it, but was rather difficult to get off for full effect. I think they did a good job of translating it into a video game, tbh. Pendulum deleting units that get hit might be a little much, but it would be a little disappointing if I managed to manifest a giant bladed pendulum for a direct hit on chaff infantry and didn't wreck them. I am a little miffed that the dreaded thirteenth spell is just a summon, but I guess I can live with that.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

I look forward to the inevitable Nutcracker DLC pitting Kislev against the Skaven.

be still my beating heart

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Whatever they base them off of, I just hope we don't get more shirtless light cav. I picked Xiongnu because they have cool armor and cool hats.

I mean essentially what you would do is start with some stuff like illustrations and such of what Tatar warriors and such looked like. What they wore and what weapons they used, say in the early modern era, which would be the most appropriate for Kislev and Warhammer in general, go a bit earlier if you need armor as well.

Then you identify some kind of unique things about them and flanderize the gently caress out of that, like they did for Kislev with the ice and bear motif. Like here something you might do is proliferate the poo poo out of something like the Turko-Mongol Tug horse (or yak) hair standard, not necessarily as a standard but the general idea of the design.

Or take and exaggerate the practice and aesthetics of falconry, which was very popular among steppe nomads (and still is a popular pasttime/sport in places like Mongolia and Kazakhstan)

e: Or take inspiration from the dress of shamans in traditional Siberian religion.

Then you can add more overtly fantastical and folkloric elements like hags and whatever else. I do hope they go for that kind of flavor and not just make them Cossacks, who are indeed pretty cool (and actually draw from alot of the same fashions and military styles), but I feel like it won't be as unique nor will it emphasize the multiethnic nature of Kislev or its IRL historical influences as effectively if that is what they end up doing.

Chakan posted:

Yeah, magic was devastating to your enemy if you could cast it, but was rather difficult to get off for full effect. I think they did a good job of translating it into a video game, tbh. Pendulum deleting units that get hit might be a little much, but it would be a little disappointing if I managed to manifest a giant bladed pendulum for a direct hit on chaff infantry and didn't wreck them. I am a little miffed that the dreaded thirteenth spell is just a summon, but I guess I can live with that.

Pendulum just being utterly ridiculous now feels like it has to be a mistake somewhere IMO, like somone put in wrong numbers, other wind spells in the game aren't close to as devastating (though they still are effective enough, it's just in comparison to pendulum that they suffer). Also regarding the dreaded 13th, while it is indeed a summon, unlike other summons it actually does a good deal of damage if you cast it on top of an enemy unit.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 15, 2022

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This poor horse has seen some poo poo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You could add more eastern style steppe units to Cathay.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You could add more eastern style steppe units to Cathay.

I feel like we could get something like that, given that there is a Cathay sub faction called something like "Burning Winds Nomads".

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 15, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

all these posts

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

In tabletop what makes a legendary caster powerful? They cast the same spells as a basic wizard right?

Basically, how a normal caster works is like this:
- At the start of the battle, you roll randomly what spells they know. Normal mages usually know between one and two spells of the single lore they're devoted to
- Each magic phase, you get a random number of magic dice, and each caster has a chance of manifesting an extra die
- To cast a spell, you pick a a spell and a number of dice, roll them, and try to get a result higher than whatever the spell demands. If you beat the spell score the spell works, if not it fails. More powerful (or boosted) spells usually need higher results.
- Opposing mages can then try to dispell your spell by beating your roll
- Here's where it gets spicy: If you roll 2 or more sixes on that roll, you get what's called irresistible force. The spell goes off irrespective of overall result and cannot be dispelled, but afterwards Bad Things happen to your mage, ranging from forgetting the spell they just used to outright exploding.

Now, let's look at Teclis, high elf rear end in a top hat magician extraordinaire, and see how he breaks all these rules:
- Teclis knows all spells from any lore he likes.
- Teclis gets up to three free magic dice each turn
- Teclis casts with irresistible force any time he rolls any double, not just sixes
- Teclis can ignore the Bad Things that happen from an irresistible force result
- When an opposing mage tries to cast a spell, Teclis can decide that Actually No They Didn't and even make that mage forget the spell they attempted on top of it

Ordinarily, magic in the tabletop is a bit of a balancing act. It's got huge destructive potential, but it's also unreliable. You try to thread the needle where you put enough power into your spells to get them to go off, but not so much that you blow yourself up. As a result, magic tends to be quite swingy: Sometimes your mage annihilates the enemy's most important units, sometimes they don't cast a single successful spell all battle, sometimes they manage to blow up both the enemy front line as well as your own, sometimes they simply don't get the right spells for the job.

The big advantage of legendary mages is usually that they remove a lot of the randomness in your favour. Look at Teclis up there: He always knows the exact spells you need for a given opponent, he's borderline guaranteed to successfully cast at least one spell each turn (including the most expensive/powerful ones), and he can pretty much decide that you opponent doesn't get to do magic at all.

e: beaten as badly as a level 1 fire mage facing Teclis

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 15, 2022

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Weve already seen some changes on stream. Heroes get arcane conduit, which increases Winds recharge passively. But lords get Greater Arcane Conduit, which also boosts spell intensity. A lord casting a spell is going to be more powerful than a hero in 3. Not sure why it hasn't gotten more attention this seems like a big change

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Teclis in late WHFB was one of the first named guys to not be overpriced. He was a flat upgrade and in basically every meta army. Broken fucker.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Twigand Berries posted:

all these posts
:hmmyes:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

112gb preload is up

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol at Turin dominating the ai with a full stack of Kislev light sleds. No army can stand against them.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

112gb preload is up

Glad I decided to get an additional SSD for this.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Thanquol's particular bonus was great. Normal Skaven casters could pay to bring warpstone tokens, which let them throw additional power dice for every one they chose to eat when they cast a spell - but if they rolled 1 on the warpstone token dice it would hurt them. Thanquol was so used to inhaling infinite amounts of magic rat cocaine that he bypassed this penalty altogether.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I have 118GB free on my work laptop's SSD, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth preloading and risking that the day one patch will be too big, or if I'm better off only playing it on my beefier home computer when I can.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Teclis in late WHFB was one of the first named guys to not be overpriced. He was a flat upgrade and in basically every meta army. Broken fucker.

Oh man, Teclis was great. I've always loved the character, and he formed the centerpiece of most of my armies. But when they released the latest book, he went from "One of the few named characters who isn't horrible" to "My god, this guy is OP". Then they released the End Times Magic System and he got even more ridiculous

(In the End Times Magic System, if you know any spell from a lore, you know every spell from a lore. Teclis had a special rule where he could know one spell from each of the main 8 lores, letting him hit the table with every spell from all 8 base lores. It also increased the number of magic dice you have considerably, and added in some epic level super spells)

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Fresh out of the realm of Slaanesh.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
empire wizards were fun too. not so much for the casting but as a ginger cruise missile armed with the van horstmann speculum and hoping for the best.

sorta like old school catachan devils.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I feel like people are being too pessimistic with regards to the combined map. Mortal Empires came out nearly a month after Warhammer 2 was released. I feel like CA is very aware of how much their community wants it. There's no way they haven't been working on it in tandem with the rest of the game. But we'll know for sure when they put out the roadmap.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
One way they could make Caster LL's a little more interesting would be to follow from AoS's paradigm and give named casters a unique signature spell, like Nagash's "Hand of Dust". Even if its just an overtuned version of a regular spell it'd go a way in at least making Caster LL's feel more than just a geared out Wizard.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sasgrillo posted:

I feel like people are being too pessimistic with regards to the combined map. Mortal Empires came out nearly a month after Warhammer 2 was released. I feel like CA is very aware of how much their community wants it. There's no way they haven't been working on it in tandem with the rest of the game. But we'll know for sure when they put out the roadmap.
Yeah if I remember correctly, they've acknowledged that after ME came out, like 90% of all new games started were ME instead of WH2's Vortex map. Part of that is that the Vortex race blows rear end but part of it is there are a lot of people with brainworms that love big grand campaign maps

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sasgrillo posted:

I think the main reason for pessimism is that there are streamers saying stuff like the game should have been delayed a second time, and it makes it feel like they probably pushed out the most essential stuff first and will get to post-release content later. I don't think it'll be like late summer when it comes out, but I don't think it'll be in a month or two either.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Legend was just asked what the most he's leveled up in one battle is, and he said ten :drat:

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
The huge map with all the factions on it is a big factor for ME's success, but also the fact that it's free-form and doesn't try and keep you on rails like the vortex and the chaos realm campaigns do. If they released the vortex map without the actual vortex mechanics, it would be a more popular selection though still a distant second to ME. The fact that CA doesn't appear to be very good at doing the story campaigns doesn't help, though everyone is praising the prologue campaign, so who knows.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Thé non-vortex vortex campaigns are pretty well regarded at least

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Besides the ton of potential mortal lords for the Chaos factions, what units are there? I’m seeing the Mutalith Vortex Beast, Chaos Warshrine, Chaos Ogres and the Slaughterbrute on a list of 8th edition WoC units. There are a few god-aligned Nurgle and Khorne models, but they were introduced in the End Times, and I don’t think CA has been clear how they’ll handle that. They could always add specific god-flavored WoC and Norse units to each god’s roster. There have been plenty of dlc units that were relatively boring but filled a role on certain underpopulated rungs of the tech ladder, but they’ll want to add some flashy stuff too.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 15, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I'm honestly waiting for my own take on the campaign with the added bonus of all this "boring" stuff has also been described as the coolest looking

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I'm computer dumb why is my preload only like 65 gigs

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Twigand Berries posted:

I'm computer dumb why is my preload only like 65 gigs

Compressed, mine is the same.

Either that or we've got another 40 odd gigs to look forward to on unlock day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Thé non-vortex vortex campaigns are pretty well regarded at least

This time around it'd be kind of hard to not relate a new faction's campaign to the main mechanic though, since the rifts apparently pop up all over the map. So even if, say, Chaos Dwarves have a campaign that doesn't care about Ursun, their campaign would still have to deal with the rift issue and its corruption plus army spawns. In Vortex that wasn't an issue, since nothing involved in that race actually effected the main game map (with the exception of spawned Chaos armies getting stuck in your territory, which is just a bug).