Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Sam Waterston teases "wonderful surprise" return on Law & Order: "She's one of my favorite people"

quote:

“There is a person coming back in the first show, one of my favorite people on Earth. I’m not allowed to tell who that is, but you’ll be glad when you see her.”

Showrunner Rick Eid adds of the returning stars, “I’m sure we could have done the show without them, but we didn’t want to.”

So, who might be that actor coming back, who’s a favorite of Waterston’s? With 20 seasons worth of “Law & Order” episodes, there are plenty of options — but some fan-favorites may be unavailable, due to their current positions elsewhere in Dick Wolf’s universe. Specifically, the character to appear on “Law & Order” the most, starring in 391 episodes, was Lieutenant Anita Van Buren, played by S. Epatha Merkerson. Unfortunately, the four-time NAACP Image Award winner moved on to another show in the same fictional world and has been part of “SVU” spinoff “Chicago Med” as Sharon Goodwin since its 2015 debut.

She’s not the only “Law & Order” alum who, if returned, would raise fans’ eyebrows. Alana De La Garza joined the procedural in Season 16 as Assistant District Attorney Connie Rubirosa, and was still part of the team when it came to an end in 2010. In 2018, she was announced as part of the cast of “FBI,” playing Special Agent in Charge Isobel Castille — a role she remains in today.

Over the nearly 500 episodes, dozens of women appeared on the flagship series and could still return. Leslie Hendrix played medical examiner Elizabeth Rodgers for 143 episodes; Carolyn McCormick portrayed Dr. Elizabeth Olivet in 85 episodes; Elisabeth Röhm played A.D.A. Serena Southerlyn for 85 episodes; Angie Harmon starred as A.D.A. Abbie Carmichael in 72 episodes; and Carey Lowell portrayed A.D.A. Jamie Ross in 49 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
First, it's really weird they cast Merkerson in a different role in the L&O world after having played Anita for years and years.

If I had to guess, I'd say Carey Lowell? McCoy and Ross were friends.

Either that or zombie Claire Kincaid.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

My guess would be Olivet or the medical examiner.

But zombie Claire Kincaid would certainly be a choice.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

howe_sam posted:

My guess would be Olivet or the medical examiner.

But zombie Claire Kincaid would certainly be a choice.

Does Olivet or Rodgers (the ME) show up in SVU, OC, or any of those other L&O universe shows? I don't watch them.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 10, 2022

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Detective Nina Cassidy's comin' back, baby

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
If Rodgers isn’t in every other or third episode like the old days, they’ve failed

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Danielle Mellnick better be raising hell this year

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's Benson, she's just all over this show too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

First, it's really weird they cast Merkerson in a different role in the L&O world after having played Anita for years and years.

If I had to guess, I'd say Carey Lowell? McCoy and Ross were friends.

Either that or zombie Claire Kincaid.

Angie Harmon as Abbie would be good. Her and Waterston had fun chemistry together.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Angie Harmon as Abbie would be good. Her and Waterston had fun chemistry together.

I thought about her but she's probably back in Texas working for Governor Abbot or the RNC on some anti-vax poo poo or making voting more difficult for minorities.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 11, 2022

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

New promo!!! :neckbeard:

https://youtu.be/87h6LkJMIjY

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Jeffrey Donovan as a junior detective is the best casting.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

MJeff posted:

It's Benson, she's just all over this show too.

I hate you

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Jeffrey Donovan as a junior detective is the best casting.

While Law & Order has often played fast and loose with reality, this has always ticked me off. There's no such thing as a "junior detective" or a "senior detective." In the NYPD, there's detective 3rd grade, detective 2nd grade and detective 1st grade.

Oddly, SVU gets this correct (I recall one bit in which Cragen busts Amaro's balls and says something like, "You ever want to make it past 2nd grade, lose the attitude," and Rollins at one point bitches about how she'll never make 1st grade because of her addiction history), but Vanilla never did anything like that.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 14, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Also, I'm guessing it's a return from Tovah Feldshuh as Danielle Melnick.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Timby posted:

While Law & Order has often played fast and loose with reality, this has always ticked me off. There's no such thing as a "junior detective" or a "senior detective." In the NYPD, there's detective 3rd grade, detective 2nd grade and detective 1st grade.

Oddly, SVU gets this correct (I recall one bit in which Cragen busts Amaro's balls and says something like, "You ever want to make it past 2nd grade, lose the attitude," and Rollins at one point bitches about how she'll never make 1st grade because of her addiction history), but Vanilla never did anything like that.

Did they ever say junior/senior detective on screen in Vanilla, or was it just a production/storytelling description of the characters?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arivia posted:

Did they ever say junior/senior detective on screen in Vanilla, or was it just a production/storytelling description of the characters?

My memory isn't encyclopedic, but I know that it's brought up when Casady meets Van Buren in the first episode of Season 17. Van Buren says she had a hand-picked replacement for Fontana as "senior detective" but Casady was forced upon the 27 by the higher-ups because she was pretty and had solved a high-profile murder, got press for being a "supermodel detective" or something like that.

Timby fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 14, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Timby posted:

My memory isn't encyclopedic, but I know that it's brought up when Casady meets Van Buren in the first episode of Season 17. Van Buren says she had a hand-picked replacement for Fontana as "senior detective" but Casady was forced upon the 27 by the higher-ups because she was pretty and had solved a high-profile murder, got press for being a "supermodel detective" or something like that.

if you have ever rewatched season 17 you have a much stronger stomach than I

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Timby posted:

I think it’s more of a seniority distinction/date of rank sort of thing rather than actual grades. IIRC, the thing about actual detective grades comes up in one of the episodes where one of Briscoe’s old friends is corrupt (The Sarno one). In the early years it didn’t matter since the leader of the pair was a Sergeant, and most of the other seasons treat the two detectives as equal ranks but one usually being more experienced than the other.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arivia posted:

if you have ever rewatched season 17 you have a much stronger stomach than I

WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU

Christ, that was a miserable year and it's a miracle the show didn't get canceled after it. Thankfully the budget got cut, forcing Dick Wolf & Co. to get creative and re-tool the show. Seasons 18 - 20 are a revelation and up there with the heyday of, what, 6 - 10?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah it was really refreshing for me, I was getting real worn down by my series binge (even skipping a number of episodes) then the last couple seasons really held strong and it was a delight.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen much of the later seasons of original L&O - what was wrong with Season 17, exactly?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The new junior detective that season was really bad, and I think it was a plot point that she only got there as a PR move because she looked pretty. I think they were trying to go for having an actual rookie detective instead of someone who already had a baseline level of experience, but they made her so incompetent that she was constantly stepping on rakes every episode.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
There's a really weird meta level to "this person sucks rear end but the people in charge want someone hot" being made internal to the plot.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

DaveWoo posted:

I haven't seen much of the later seasons of original L&O - what was wrong with Season 17, exactly?

The main issue as others have said is the new detective, Nina Cassady. From the minute she's introduced, it's made clear within the show that she got the role over more experienced detectives because she'd been involved in a shootout previously and it's good PR for the NYPD that she's being made a detective. The show had previously had younger detectives around, Rey Curtis was said to be relatively new and made some rookie mistakes for example, and I think Mike Logan kinda falls into that area as well early on, but as Coxswain Balls noted everyone before Cassady had a much higher base level of competency that she never displays. The whole season she's making mistakes, frequently driving Lt. Van Buren (And probably longtime viewers) mad, and only infrequently showing any growth out of it before making some other mistake the next episode. Making matters worse, Milena Govich is a fairly limited actress and really never had much chemistry with anyone else, so just it didn't work.

Now, some of that is on the writing, since they never really do anything with the character (Poor acting + poor writing is a bad combo), and the season overall isn't anything special. Other than the last episode of the season (Which notably includes Jeremy Sisto as a defense attorney, before he replaced Govich as detective the next season, so in syndication those episodes air back to back), most of them are fairly bland and I don't think any of the others are particularly memorable in anyway. This was also the final season with Fred Dalton Thompson as Arthur Branch, and I think his character had become worn out as well. The previous two seasons had been kinda hit and miss as well, certainly more so than any others in the shows run up to that point, hence why season 17 is frequently considered as the low point of the show.

A lot of this becomes pretty clear from the first episode of season 18. Cyrus Lupo is given more depth in his introductory episode than Cassady got in her entire season, and the character works very well from the gate. Helping that season was moving McCoy to DA, adding Michael Cutter, and the relationship between those two characters, which really reinvigorates that whole half of the show. This cast works out really well, and stays that way when Anthony Anderson joins the show halfway through season 18. That cast would remain intact for the whole rest of the show's original run, which wound up being the longest such run during the show (49 episodes over 2 and half seasons, slightly beating out the seasons 13-14 cast). I don't know if the episodes themselves are as well written as the peak years, there's some odd ones in there, but the chemistry of the cast goes a long way into making 18-20 as well regarded as they are.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Even though the writing wasn't as good as in its prime I wish we had more time with Cutter and McCoy. They played so well together, especially because McCoy was around long enough that you could see how he's all "Jesus Christ, is this what Schiff had to put up with".

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

fartknocker posted:

Season 17 stuff

It's been years since I have revisited that era of Law and Order but I also think the writing cracks finally ripped apart that season too. I remember the Dennis Farina years being ok despite a decent cast but I remember the format wearing a bit thin and quite frankly probably too influenced by SVU. season 18 - 20 was more true to form, maybe a bit simplistic and not as blatant ripped from the headlines.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

Even though the writing wasn't as good as in its prime I wish we had more time with Cutter and McCoy. They played so well together, especially because McCoy was around long enough that you could see how he's all "Jesus Christ, is this what Schiff had to put up with".

I feel like the whole plot with the governor definitely makes Cutter/McCoy a great Order setup with some fun stuff going on. When I think about the EADA and the DA being at loggerheads because the EADA is going stupid crazy I'm thinking Schiff and Stone in "American Dream," McCoy and Schiff in "Gunshow", and then Cutter and McCoy in "Excalibur" totally fits with that. It's certainly in the highest tier of the show's writing and performances in that aspect, and I wish we'd had more of it (just to see what McCoy's response was if he ever found out what Cutter did to the governor even.)

e:

Mooseontheloose posted:

It's been years since I have revisited that era of Law and Order but I also think the writing cracks finally ripped apart that season too. I remember the Dennis Farina years being ok despite a decent cast but I remember the format wearing a bit thin and quite frankly probably too influenced by SVU. season 18 - 20 was more true to form, maybe a bit simplistic and not as blatant ripped from the headlines.

And yeah, this was my feeling too. It wasn't just Govich, although she was a big part, but Thompson was tired and the show was just going nowhere fast. This is why the only episode I can even really remember let alone think about positively is "In Vino Veritas" where Chevy Chase just acts his rear end off as the guest star. Season 18 put it back in gear and it was actually exciting again.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 16, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

The stuff with Dennis Farina was weird because his entire thing was basically "crooked cop" but they never really went into it.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Cutter was fun because it was basically the writers going "Hey, remember firebrand Jack McCoy? What if we just do that again with a new character?"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think with Cassady they wanted to show growth, but it was too little too late. In the finale, she really screws up and Van Buren goes off on her, but later in the episode, she does very well on the witness stand and doesn't go for Defense Attorney Sisto's bait and even gets an atta'girl from Connie, but like. It's the finale. Too little too late.

Cutter was a huge shot in the arm for the show because it had the side-effect of kicking Arthur Branch out (I know it technically happened in reverse with Thompson loving off into politics, but you know what I mean). As good of a dynamic as Jack, Cutter and Connie had, holy poo poo did the Branch/Serena shtick suck the air out of that side of the show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeG4SBqFZCM
This is a little self-aggrandizing by the production designer, the last what seven seasons were shown in HD, and weren't the original sets in NY too? But that being said, it's cool that they're keeping that continuity and not pretending the precinct and DA's office got remodeled in the intervening years.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

howe_sam posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeG4SBqFZCM
This is a little self-aggrandizing by the production designer, the last what seven seasons were shown in HD, and weren't the original sets in NY too? But that being said, it's cool that they're keeping that continuity and not pretending the precinct and DA's office got remodeled in the intervening years.

I think they’re saying the sets were made in LA then shipped up to NY, because yes, L&O was shot in New York proper (and so is SVU and I’m guessing OC is too).

The whole series was shot on film, not tape, so it was relatively easy to do the HD release of going all the way back to season 1. However, for many years they weren’t shooting expecting people to watch the show in HD, so some tricks could be used. The point is that they have to up their game for Season 21 because it’s specifically being shot for HD from the get go.

I see at least one difference in that video: it looks like the “cage” in the squad room is gone, but they hadn’t used that thing in 10 seasons anyway so no big loss. I think small updates to acknowledge it has been 15 years would be good (fix the drink machines in the precinct, swap out the cigarette machine in the DA’s office).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I don't know about SVU or the other shows, but vanilla was originally shot in both LA and NYC. Exteriors were all shot on location in NYC and the interiors were in LA. That's what they meant in the video when they talked about the original sets being built in LA. This made the show somewhat more expensive to make because they'd have to fly the relevant cast and crew back and forth for filming.

I'm guessing at this point in time it's cheaper to build the sets in LA and ship them to NYC and film it all there.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

17 is just a weird season. I genuinely don't think there is a bad season of L&O just some with better casting than others. Clearly the prime window of 6-11 or so is the best, but its all good until Lenny goes then it just feels off until 18 when Lupo and Bernard really get to run with it.

My biggest issue with the later seasons is that they throw in the politics seasons long sparring with the corrupt governor, and that they increasingly had Cutter or McCoy go for absurd insane legal strategies that start of feel out of character even for those two by the last half of 19 and 20.

I really got the impression they just kinda burned out on the OG. I hope that it also sticks to the original format. I want both LAW and ORDER. SVU never had enough order and has mostly abandoned it at this point.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know about SVU or the other shows, but vanilla was originally shot in both LA and NYC. Exteriors were all shot on location in NYC and the interiors were in LA. That's what they meant in the video when they talked about the original sets being built in LA. This made the show somewhat more expensive to make because they'd have to fly the relevant cast and crew back and forth for filming.

I'm guessing at this point in time it's cheaper to build the sets in LA and ship them to NYC and film it all there.

Do you have a source for this? Everything I've ever heard was that L&O was shot completely in NYC, which was very unusual at the time (and still kind of is). I remember when season 20 was winding up there was an article in the NYT talking about wrapping up the sets, but I might be wrong.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Arivia posted:

Do you have a source for this? Everything I've ever heard was that L&O was shot completely in NYC, which was very unusual at the time (and still kind of is). I remember when season 20 was winding up there was an article in the NYT talking about wrapping up the sets, but I might be wrong.

I have tried some quick google searching and I can't find anything so I could be wrong. It would have to be some sort of false memory because I swear to god I read that a few times in poo poo like TV guide. I even recall that being a thing when Law and Order Los Angeles was in the works. The thinking was that it would be a cheaper show because they wouldn't have to fly back and forth anything to film it.

If that's not correct, I'm sorry.

edit: I'm sure someone like Timby will come in tell us everything we ever wanted to know about the production of Law and Order.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The new sets are built in NYC and I know people in NY who worked on the original sets too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have tried some quick google searching and I can't find anything so I could be wrong. It would have to be some sort of false memory because I swear to god I read that a few times in poo poo like TV guide. I even recall that being a thing when Law and Order Los Angeles was in the works. The thinking was that it would be a cheaper show because they wouldn't have to fly back and forth anything to film it.

If that's not correct, I'm sorry.

edit: I'm sure someone like Timby will come in tell us everything we ever wanted to know about the production of Law and Order.

Prior to Los Angeles' short-lived run, every Law & Order show was / has been filmed on-location in New York City, and the standing sets like the squad room and the courtroom were also in New York. (This is why the Hollywood three-parter in Season 7 was such a huge deal; it was, "Holy poo poo! Law & Order is traveling!" It was a ratings blockbuster at the time so NBC told Dick Wolf & Co. they could spend the money.) Post-production of Vanilla was also primarily based in New York.

This is why basically every working stage actor off-Broadway has been seen on one of the Law & Order shows, often multiple times in different roles. (I've mentioned Michael O'Keefe, Denis O'Hare and Bruce MacVittie; Tom Riis Farrell, Jack Gilpin, Bruce Altman and Nick Chinlund come to mind, too.)

Edit:

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I really got the impression they just kinda burned out on the OG. I hope that it also sticks to the original format. I want both LAW and ORDER. SVU never had enough order and has mostly abandoned it at this point.

A lot of the core writing staff and senior producers had their priorities focused on SVU and Criminal Intent during the last few seasons of Vanilla.

And, yeah, agreed about SVU. I still can't buy Carisi as the ADA (and it feels like the writers can't, either, since half the time he's still acting as a cop, just without the badge).

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 18, 2022

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Speaking of sets etc. The tour Brisco did backstage was always cool.
https://youtu.be/UWAmIk4RpVk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Timby posted:

Prior to Los Angeles' short-lived run, every Law & Order show was / has been filmed on-location in New York City, and the standing sets like the squad room and the courtroom were also in New York. (This is why the Hollywood three-parter in Season 7 was such a huge deal; it was, "Holy poo poo! Law & Order is traveling!" It was a ratings blockbuster at the time so NBC told Dick Wolf & Co. they could spend the money.) Post-production of Vanilla was also primarily based in New York.

This is why basically every working stage actor off-Broadway has been seen on one of the Law & Order shows, often multiple times in different roles. (I've mentioned Michael O'Keefe, Denis O'Hare and Bruce MacVittie; Tom Riis Farrell, Jack Gilpin, Bruce Altman and Nick Chinlund come to mind, too.)

Edit:

A lot of the core writing staff and senior producers had their priorities focused on SVU and Criminal Intent during the last few seasons of Vanilla.

And, yeah, agreed about SVU. I still can't buy Carisi as the ADA (and it feels like the writers can't, either, since half the time he's still acting as a cop, just without the badge).

Thanks dude. Sorry about my stupid fuckin brain.