Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

LLSix posted:

That sounds cool. And oh, neat, it started out as a minecraft mod but is now running on their own homebrewed engine.

It only being on itch.io (and humble?) makes the :20bux: price tag hard to swallow. Do you know what the gamepad support is like?

How discoverable is it? Is it like factorio where you can pretty much figure things out from what the game tells you? Or is it more like Don't Starve where you're pretty much stuck playing with a wiki open?

No idea about gamepad support, sorry. I know the devs have been rather adamant about keeping it off steam, but I think in some of their recent interactions they implied they were coming around on that. And yeah the game running on its own engine makes things go much more smoothly, I struggled playing with a pretty modest modpack on MC but VS has way more content than that and it's never given me trouble.

There's an in-game guidebook that has simple pages and recipes for every item, plus short guides for getting started and for some of the more elaborate mechanics, like smithing or raising animals. Those, coupled with the general interface, overall do a good enough job of providing you with the basic knowledge, but there are a few topics where you'll be better off looking for video tutorials or asking around in the official forums or discord (the Survival Games megathread over here also has some VS players, if you have a quick question or want more opinions on the game). One topic that most early players have trouble with is the ore finding mechanic, for example.

First thing you need to know when starting the game is to get the hell out of forests because wolves WILL kill you (the only reliable way to escape wolves once they're chasing you is to run into water, since they're pretty poor swimmers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
doubleposting because I forgot I came here looking for a game rec :sweatdrop:

Okay, so I received a Steam gift card from a contest and I'm trying to decide how to spend it. My back-up plan is to get the full Civ 6 pack (full-ish, I guess? the biggest one) since it's currently on sale, but alternatively I'm looking for one or several of any of the following:

- A management / city build sim that looks pretty and gives you plenty of cosmetic options
- A chill adventure/exploration game, like Sable (loved it, but it was rather buggy)
- A simulator (business, cooking, etc) that has a proper story and characters rather than just set dressing for the menus
- A visual novel with good art and writing that is ideally neither anime nor horny (I've enjoyed laid-back stuff like Coffee Talk and heavier ones like We Know The Devil, but I found both a bit on the short side, so something that could last me more than a few sittings would be best, though I know the genre generally goes for bite-sized)
- A fun game with dogfighting (planes going pew pew at each other, not actual dogs fighting), ideally more on the arcade than realistic side of things. (I already have LUFTRAUSERS)
- Good detective/mystery games! I already played Disco Elysium and have no illusions of finding another game like it, but a nice point-and-click that lasts for a good while, has interesting characters and doesn't pull the final act out of its rear end would be good enough for me. I've generally liked the Wadjet Eye games + similar recent graphic adventures, but they're usually too short.

Ideally all recs should be able to run on a crap computer, so don't be afraid of suggesting older games

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

SexyBlindfold posted:

- Good detective/mystery games! I already played Disco Elysium and have no illusions of finding another game like it, but a nice point-and-click that lasts for a good while, has interesting characters and doesn't pull the final act out of its rear end would be good enough for me. I've generally liked the Wadjet Eye games + similar recent graphic adventures, but they're usually too short.

Ideally all recs should be able to run on a crap computer, so don't be afraid of suggesting older games

Return of the Obra Dinn?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SexyBlindfold posted:

- A visual novel with good art and writing that is ideally neither anime nor horny (I've enjoyed laid-back stuff like Coffee Talk and heavier ones like We Know The Devil, but I found both a bit on the short side, so something that could last me more than a few sittings would be best, though I know the genre generally goes for bite-sized)

428 Shibuya Scramble

quote:

- A fun game with dogfighting (planes going pew pew at each other, not actual dogs fighting), ideally more on the arcade than realistic side of things. (I already have LUFTRAUSERS)

Jet Lancer

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sobatchja Morda posted:

You probably played it, but House of the Dying Sun is magnificent and has a cool story. And Star Wars: Squadrons is awesome if you're looking for something like Tie Fighter.
I remember checking it out and being really disappointed with how they completely do not care about HOTAS support. :(

EDIT: What's most disappointing about it, is that they have some noting of close-to-6DoF, but insist that dual-stick or mouse+keyboard is the only way to accomplish that.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 13, 2022

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I remember checking it out and being really disappointed with how they completely do not care about HOTAS support. :(

EDIT: What's most disappointing about it, is that they have some noting of close-to-6DoF, but insist that dual-stick or mouse+keyboard is the only way to accomplish that.

It’s because it’s an incredibly arcadey flight game designed with the spacing of controller buttons in mind. Playing it with a joystick is a miserable experience, worse than playing Ace Combat with one. Not all space or flight games are best played with a HOTAS.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Ace Combat 7 with a stick was loving awesome though??

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Honestly I don't feel like Squadrons was great with a stick either, it's OK but gamepad is easier and it's clearly designed for the latter first

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Squadrons was okay, but it was also pretty clearly created to be a competitive online game first and foremost, and the single player campaign is just a fairly shallow showcasing of things (although with cinematics out the wazoo to try to cover up the lack of gameplay depth). For some reason it also really wants to test your ability to fly obstacle courses too, which first person perspectives will always be worse for precisely maneuvering around a three dimensional world.

The spacefighting game I keep hearing about but haven't had the chance to play is Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, which is apparently more in the vein of Freelancer. It also has some features to help inexperienced players. If you want more on the simulation side of things, there's also the X games.

SexyBlindfold posted:

doubleposting because I forgot I came here looking for a game rec :sweatdrop:

Okay, so I received a Steam gift card from a contest and I'm trying to decide how to spend it. My back-up plan is to get the full Civ 6 pack (full-ish, I guess? the biggest one) since it's currently on sale, but alternatively I'm looking for one or several of any of the following:

- A management / city build sim that looks pretty and gives you plenty of cosmetic options
- A chill adventure/exploration game, like Sable (loved it, but it was rather buggy)
- A simulator (business, cooking, etc) that has a proper story and characters rather than just set dressing for the menus

For chill exploration, I'd recommend A Short Hike, Spiritfarer, or anything by Thatgamecompany.

For a visual novel, I'd say you've got to play VA-11 Hall-A, mainly because I think that's where the inspiration for Coffee Talk came from. It may be a bit more anime (not actually japanese though, just written by Venezuelan weebs), but it's also in a cyberpunk bar. There's also the Phoenix Wright series, which I guess there's no way around it being anime, but it's not horny I guess. There's mystery solving there.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is good fun, it's 100% a gamepad game if that matters though, and while I got an enjoyable 15 or so hours out of it it ended up feeling a mile wide but an inch deep - what you're doing from the start is basically exactly what you'll be doing for the rest of the game and it's not very varied. Worth playing with those caveats

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It’s because it’s an incredibly arcadey flight game designed with the spacing of controller buttons in mind. Playing it with a joystick is a miserable experience, worse than playing Ace Combat with one. Not all space or flight games are best played with a HOTAS.
I don't get the obsession with arcadey space flight mechanics - why is that what's suddenly popular?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

I don't get the obsession with arcadey space flight mechanics - why is that what's suddenly popular?

Because people are endlessly nostalgic for x-wing vs tie fighter, and trying to sell a game just to people with flightsticks is probably gonna be a loser so controller-based spaceflight will be much more popular for fast dogfighting.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Joysticks are expensive, have a fairly narrow range of uses, and require the development of new motor skills, as opposed to controllers that most people already have the motor skills for and can be used for many, many games. Although for some reason everybody has to do first person instead of doing it like Rogue Squadron.

I dunno what else you mean by "arcadey" mechanics because the days when arcades were big and the days when flight sims were big were both a million years ago.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Captain Beans posted:

Return of the Obra Dinn?

Obra Dinn is incredibly cool but too difficult for me.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Joysticks are expensive, have a fairly narrow range of uses, and require the development of new motor skills, as opposed to controllers that most people already have the motor skills for and can be used for many, many games. Although for some reason everybody has to do first person instead of doing it like Rogue Squadron.

I dunno what else you mean by "arcadey" mechanics because the days when arcades were big and the days when flight sims were big were both a million years ago.
Arcadey in terms of spaceflight in videogames typically means the games physics engine is made for the developer thinks feels cool to fly.
The opposite would be how some games simulate some level of Newtonian physics - which is more accurate to how it would be to fly a real spaceship, if we had the kind of engines that exist in videogames (obviously we don't).

The way I use it isn't meant to be a value judgement - I actually like some forms of arcadey spaceflight mechanics, but I just wish there were more of the other one, too.
As to whether it's more difficult and/or require a new development of motor skills, I'm not sure about that - most people can intuit how VTOL in regular flight simulators with HOTAS work.

And as for the price, they're not nearly as expensive as people think - the entry-level-but-decent T.Flight Hotas X is $60, which I'm fairly sure is about the same as a modern controller - and if you wanna go a step up from that, the T.16000M FCS Hotas can often be found on sale for only about double that and as low as $99.

EDIT: You have to get pretty far down the rabbit hole before things like build-quality, Hall sensors, custom-controller software, multi-stage trigger, controller modes and all the other things you're really paying for with X52 Pro or the X55 start mattering.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 13, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SexyBlindfold posted:

Chorvs. Although one of the special abilities you get teleports you immediately behind an enemy. I thought it was cool, but it could see a flight sim person not liking it. The story is a lot of fun too.

Check the system specs. They're pretty low for a modern game, but I don't know what your system can handle.

Golden Treasure of the Great Green is a fantastic computer CYOA and Open Sourcery is very clever if Indie art. Neither are exactly visual novels, though.

John Rando
Nov 29, 2013

SexyBlindfold posted:

Eastshade is a very chill exploration game that I really enjoyed. It's often compared to Morrowind which is apt when it comes to the vibe of the island, but there's no combat, just exploring, painting, and drinking psychedelic tea with animal people. A bit buggy but not as bad as Sable.

Sky Rogue is a light, fun dogfighter. I probably wouldn't get it at full price but if you picked up either of those giant itch.io charity bundles you already have it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Eastshade was probably the most chill, relaxing game I've ever played and yeah it's entirely about exploring, with game mechanics that support looking for cool vistas and neat tucked-away places for nothing but the sake of finding them pretty and painting pictures of them.

You are a bear who is a painter and I honestly forget what the main crux of the story is but you wander around an island full of NPCs, talk to them, do quests, find and paint specific things for them, paint landscapes along the way, you get a penny-farthing bicycle too

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Thanks for the recs, y'all! In the end I ended up going with the Civ6 pack since I am a slave to bargains, but my wishlist also got a lot bigger.

Captain Beans posted:

Return of the Obra Dinn?

I said detective game, not insurance agent game :colbert: (already got it, beat it, loved it, particularly liked the music and visuals)

Hwurmp posted:

428 Shibuya Scramble

A bit pricey, but the mascot sold me! Wishlisted.

Hwurmp posted:

Jet Lancer

Seems very "what if luftrausers but more", right up my alley! Wishlisted.

SlothfulCobra posted:

For chill exploration, I'd recommend A Short Hike, Spiritfarer, or anything by Thatgamecompany.

For a visual novel, I'd say you've got to play VA-11 Hall-A, mainly because I think that's where the inspiration for Coffee Talk came from. It may be a bit more anime (not actually japanese though, just written by Venezuelan weebs), but it's also in a cyberpunk bar. There's also the Phoenix Wright series, which I guess there's no way around it being anime, but it's not horny I guess. There's mystery solving there.

Wow, I'd forgotten to wishlist Spiritfarer and Journey when they first came out. The other tgc games don't quite grab me, but I went on a wishlisting rampage on Annapurna titles while I was at it.
This also reminded me that I hadn't gotten around to installing A Short Hike from an old bundle, so I'll play it soon.

Already beat and enjoyed Va11HallA, though I think I liked Coffee Talk a bit more (or I would have if my loving latte art didn't keep looking like rear end :argh:). I feel like Va11HallA tried to cast a wider net with its target audience ("can we appeal to both 4chan and tumblr", to put it a certain way), and overall it wasn't a problem, but it makes for some weird tonal shifts and a couple of characters that rubbed me the wrong way. Coffe Talk feels a bit saccharine in comparison, but it has a more consistent vibe. Still looking forward to both sequels!

I got really into the first few Ace Attorney games, but eventually they started running out of ideas for cases, characters and teenage sidekicks, so I lost interest. I stopped playing just short of the jump to 3D, I think, and I've been meaning to pick the series back up eventually, but I'm not sure which of the new installments are worth playing. They're kind of pricey, too.

LLSix posted:

Chorvs. Although one of the special abilities you get teleports you immediately behind an enemy. I thought it was cool, but it could see a flight sim person not liking it. The story is a lot of fun too.

Check the system specs. They're pretty low for a modern game, but I don't know what your system can handle.

Golden Treasure of the Great Green is a fantastic computer CYOA and Open Sourcery is very clever if Indie art. Neither are exactly visual novels, though.

Chorvs looks great and the story seems interesting, but it will absolutely not run on my laptop. Golden Treasure seems nice but nature themes don't really grab my attention. But OpenSorcery looks interesting and is pretty cheap, so I got it as a little extra!

Not the Bees posted:

Eastshade is a very chill exploration game that I really enjoyed. It's often compared to Morrowind which is apt when it comes to the vibe of the island, but there's no combat, just exploring, painting, and drinking psychedelic tea with animal people. A bit buggy but not as bad as Sable.

Sky Rogue is a light, fun dogfighter. I probably wouldn't get it at full price but if you picked up either of those giant itch.io charity bundles you already have it.

I've had my eye on Eastshade for a while - concept is right up my alley, but the specs would really be pushing my machine to the limit, so I've been holding out for a sale. Its price history suggest I might be waiting for a while, though, but it's definitely high on my priority list. (I came pretty close to getting it once but got the also paint-related Behind the Frame instead, which ended up being a mistake since even for indie point and click standards it was extremely short)

I dared to browse my itch.io library (I *really* wish they'd add a search function in there) and I indeed have Sky Rogue, so it's up on the installing queue.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 15, 2022

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

People who loved Battlestar Galactica's Vipers, Babylon 5's Starfuries and all that other good poo poo have been louder thanks to the Star Wars sequels doing similar poo poo with X-Wings and the TIE Silencer, plus the releases of Ace Combat 7 and Project Wingman over the last few years for silly fun arcade flight combat with normal planes.

House of the Dying Sun specifically came from a former Bungie goon who wanted to make the Warthog drift from Halo, but in space.

People love doing cool rear end poo poo and do not much care for learning about deep systems interaction, generally. I wish more had come out of Rogue System, the space DCS style game.

Also, in terms of joysticks, TM and the X-52s have gone out of fashion. VKB's Gladiator NXT is the new hotness for the budget side, offering far more for far less than the others. Got mine the other day and it's a 10/10 recommendation.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Paradise Killer is super good. Mid-length

Obduction is more of a Myst-like puzzle game, but it's decently long and super good.

I liked The Council - it's an rpg-ish (there's stats and skill checks, so you won't do everything possible in one run) adventure with slightly branching storyline. It does get a bit weak in the last act, but it's deece enough

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

grate deceiver posted:

I liked The Council - it's an rpg-ish (there's stats and skill checks, so you won't do everything possible in one run) adventure with slightly branching storyline. It does get a bit weak in the last act, but it's deece enough
This is worth experiencing just for how incredibly stupid the story gets.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Yeah, I would not put it even within a light year of something like Disco Elysium, but it's entertaining at least. And I will give bonus points to any game that actually attempts to have branching storylines, even if in the end it does not amount to much.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SexyBlindfold posted:

The Last Express! It's an all-time favorite. You play as a man who sneaks into the Orient Express to meet up with a friend. poo poo goes very south, and you have unravel a mystery wrapped around pre-WW1 European politics, anarchy, arms deals, espionage, so on and so forth.

It's superbly acted, including the physical performances, which were rotoscoped, i.e. they traced recorded live film performances and colored them in, so the posing and facial expressions are very genuine. While it got some flack for its graphics at the time, it has aged far better than many of the FMV and early 3D games of the period.

Being a 90s adventure game, it does have some "90s adventure game puzzle tropes," but nothing "rubber duck in The Longest Journey" tier. There are some "you've already lost, but don't know it" situations, but the way you meet your end gives you a good idea of what you missed, and it doesn't do the Sierra bit of dragging the game or for hours without telling you. Usually it's just a few minutes, and you can rewind the game anytime to try something else. You don't have to do the Sierra "make a unique save every 5 minutes, just in case" bit.

One of these surprise games overs is the best "everything is fine; jk you're dead" fakeout in gaming history, involving some dynamite ("what dynamite?").

The game clock runs in accelerated real time, so the characters have their own schedules, and will go about their business accomplishing whatever they need to accomplish, unless you intervene. You get a subtle audio/visual cue whenever some key event is about to happen, and the music gets suspenseful if you're in danger. Half of the fun is simply eavesdropping on everybody to hear what they're discussing with a colleague and sussing out what they're up to. Also, there's an LGBTQ couple :).

The final act is the best part of the game, easily. All of the political poo poo comes to a head, all hell breaks loose, and it's immensely satisfying to play it out. It's one of those rare adventures where the ending is far and away the best part. It makes everything you've done feel like it matters.

If you're not into the gameplay, then here's a great Let's Play:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm7qUgRque8pp9zJqS1hqXDmi25TRJ7Tl
He runs two games at once. One has a more cautious approach (yellow subtitles) and the other more reckless (red subtitles).

Shine fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 16, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Chorus is a fantastic arcadey dogfighting game, as long as you don't mind that it's space ships and not planes. They're basically planes though.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Play posted:

Chorus is a fantastic arcadey dogfighting game, as long as you don't mind that it's space ships and not planes. They're basically planes though.

Uhhh it has a drift button :colbert:

It's actually double dash in space.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

External Organs posted:

Uhhh it has a drift button :colbert:

Just think of the drift button like a dorsal gunner on your plane, so you can shoot contrary to the direction of travel.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
In the past year, I've played hundreds of hours Cyberpunk 2077, Witcher 3 and RDR2.

Can the thread rec a PC, single player, open world game that's a little less dark and dramatic, and doesn't have a downer ending? (W3 has non-downer endings, but I just finished RDR2 this month and still a little down after saying goodbye to Arthur.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Filox posted:

Can the thread rec a PC, single player, open world game that's a little less dark and dramatic, and doesn't have a downer ending? (W3 has non-downer endings, but I just finished RDR2 this month and still a little down after saying goodbye to Arthur.)

Yakuza 0

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Filox posted:

In the past year, I've played hundreds of hours Cyberpunk 2077, Witcher 3 and RDR2.

Metal Gear Solid 5 contrasts its serious tone with things like "distract a guard with porn and then tie them to a balloon." And no worries about a downer ending, because they ran over budget and didn't make an ending.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Filox posted:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey? Not everyone loves Ubisoft "ten million icons on your map" open world games but I thought AC: Odyssey was by far the best one of those yet.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

gohuskies posted:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey? Not everyone loves Ubisoft "ten million icons on your map" open world games but I thought AC: Odyssey was by far the best one of those yet.

I second this

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Filox posted:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is the only other game I know that hits the same triggers as Cyberpunk and RDR2 for me. AC: Odyssey is good too but doesn't quite feel the same.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Voyeur posted:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is the only other game I know that hits the same triggers as Cyberpunk and RDR2 for me. AC: Odyssey is good too but doesn't quite feel the same.

Doesn't that kind of end on a bit of a downer note where the main villain just leaves and the game decides to end there

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.
Yeah, it doesn't exactly provide a fulfilling sense of closure... but there's a lot of chill vibes before that.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Filox posted:

Just Cause 3 is good fun. Played it recently and the plot is incredibly goofy but the open world and blowing stuff up is a very fun time. There's also JC4, but I haven't played that so don't know if it's as good.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Doesn't that kind of end on a bit of a downer note where the main villain just leaves and the game decides to end there

You still do a big siege and battle before that so it didn't feel very disappointing for me. Besides, the real plot of the game is all the hijinks you get up to with Hans Capon.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Bully is the happiest overarching story of any Open World game I've played that's available on PC. Just a kid working his way up from being total poo poo to something better. Sleeping Dogs also has a nice ending, but it gets pretty serious on the way to getting there. A lot of games want to follow the pattern of showing you how fun organized crime can be only for the characters to get destroyed by it in the end. Melancholy and sad stories tend to get a lot more critical recognition.

I guess a lot of Assassin's Creeds end up kinda upbeat (aside from all the betrayal twists), but that might be more from not being written well rather than being happy stories. AC4 and AC3 end kinda sad and Origins is a bit melancholy. Shadow of Mordor's story is really thin, but it's sorta upbeat towards the end after you've freed most of the human slaves.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Bully is the happiest overarching story of any Open World game I've played that's available on PC. Just a kid working his way up from being total poo poo to something better. Sleeping Dogs also has a nice ending, but it gets pretty serious on the way to getting there. A lot of games want to follow the pattern of showing you how fun organized crime can be only for the characters to get destroyed by it in the end. Melancholy and sad stories tend to get a lot more critical recognition.

I guess a lot of Assassin's Creeds end up kinda upbeat (aside from all the betrayal twists), but that might be more from not being written well rather than being happy stories. AC4 and AC3 end kinda sad and Origins is a bit melancholy. Shadow of Mordor's story is really thin, but it's sorta upbeat towards the end after you've freed most of the human slaves.

Lego City Undercover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Filox posted:

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot if you want to get somewhat creative with the 'open world' definition. Fun game with DBZ style fighting that is actually a drat good time.

Breath of the Wild, I easily played it to completion on a Switch emulator on my PC.

I never finished Immortals: Fenyx Rising (gently caress me what an awful name) but based on the tone it probably doesn't have a downer ending. And it's a pretty solid open world game with combat, puzzles, upgrades, challenges, etc. I keep meaning to go back to it but it just never enters my mind when I'm choosing out of the hundreds of games I'm trying to finish or at least advance.