Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Prequel dialogue >>>>>>>> anything disney has done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The idea of a bunch of cutthroat rebel commandos hot dropping into imperial strongholds to murk everybody in insanely, collateral damagey fashion is good. Its too bad Carrano hosed up - that would be a fun short series. 6 episodes of just star wars ripping off The Raid or Dirty Dozen or whatever,.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just get literally anyone else to do it. Isn't Michelle Rodriguez available?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Haha just say "hey look everyone it's cara dune" and then it's just some other person who can actually act. They could have done this with Luke too of course.

The pseudo-religious tradcath vibe has always been there, but disney is really running with it. Made the dusty old blue lightsaber into a holy relic and the falcon into a pilgrimage site. Now mark hamill's dead skin mask is stretched over a puppet like a bejeweled martyr

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 15, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Sith #1 Recruitment Tool: "the Jedi took you away from your parents and siblings"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2j-fpQgGQM

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ah. Well, nevertheless,

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Jerkface posted:

The idea of a bunch of cutthroat rebel commandos hot dropping into imperial strongholds to murk everybody in insanely, collateral damagey fashion is good. Its too bad Carrano hosed up - that would be a fun short series. 6 episodes of just star wars ripping off The Raid or Dirty Dozen or whatever,.

I mentioned this in TVIV, but I had the rather unrealistic hope that the Book of Boba Fett was going to be "Goodfellas in Space" with a lot of nasty criminals killing each other in inventive and sneaky ways, It would tie in to Boba's path as a former bounty hunter looking to step up in the world and also tell us more about how the underworld would operate in the shadow of the Empire. Looking back on it, I forgot how this was a Disney+ show with a large children's audience.

I didn't mind it and I enjoyed certain moments, but it felt like a wasted opportunity. (Like many Star Wars properties.)

Star Wars riffs on other genres could be fun. Rogue One had some spy movie elements and it would neat to see a sabotage thriller... but in space!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gonz posted:

Everybody is gonna go wild once Plo Koon shows up, having miraculously survived being exploded.

I wouldn't put it past Lucas to have it been part of the sale to Disney that Plo couldn't come back, just to gently caress with Dave.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Sam Jackson coming back in Obi seems too obvious but I'm not sure if "too obvious" exists any more

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Disney Star Wars shows peaked right at the beginning with the space flute, it’s been diminishing returns since.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ruddiger posted:

The Disney Star Wars shows peaked right at the beginning with the space flute, it’s been diminishing returns since.

That was Prometheus.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

In space no one can hear you toot

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Eric Cantonese posted:

I mentioned this in TVIV, but I had the rather unrealistic hope that the Book of Boba Fett was going to be "Goodfellas in Space" with a lot of nasty criminals killing each other in inventive and sneaky ways, It would tie in to Boba's path as a former bounty hunter looking to step up in the world and also tell us more about how the underworld would operate in the shadow of the Empire. Looking back on it, I forgot how this was a Disney+ show with a large children's audience.

I didn't mind it and I enjoyed certain moments, but it felt like a wasted opportunity. (Like many Star Wars properties.)

The Boba show is a narrative trash-fire on par with Episode 9 and Solo.

Child-friendliness has nothing to do with it; it’s edited like poo poo and reeks of massive production troubles. Knowing that it started pre-production as a feature film explains a good chunk of it, but not everything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The worst thing to happen to The Mandalorian was to become the standard bearer after the sequel trilogy crashed and burned. It was like when Homer had his own cake to ruin.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The worst thing to happen to The Mandalorian was to become the standard bearer after the sequel trilogy crashed and burned. It was like when Homer had his own cake to ruin.

Mandalorian is a lot like DS9 in how it was allowed to be good because the execs were all busy ruining something else (The ST/Voyager) that they forgot about it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think there's that much of a sharp division; I expected a big shift in quality from word-of-mouth, but Season 1 and Season 2 are both generally "aight".

The actual trouble begins with Boba Book - which very, very obviously began production as a Yojimbo narrative where a vengeful Boba plays a fool to trick all the gangsters of Tatooine into killing eachother. Disney edited out the 'vengeful trickster' part so that Boba is just a clumsy-but-benevolent feudal lord who beats drugs through the power of friendship.

It's exactly the same as how they edited the jokes out of Solo - but worsened by the decision to extend the runtime by grafting on a Mandalorian plotline with zero relevance to the actual narrative.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 16, 2022

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/michael_j_conte/status/1493773598657429509?s=20&t=75tt097lKr7bfXDwbXnMxQ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I don't think there's that much of a sharp division; I expected a big shift in quality from word-of-mouth, but Season 1 and Season 2 are both generally "aight".

The actual trouble begins with Boba Book - which very, very obviously began production as a Yojimbo narrative where a vengeful Boba plays a fool to trick all the gangsters of Tatooine into killing eachother. Disney edited out the 'vengeful trickster' part so that Boba is just a clumsy-but-benevolent feudal lord who beats drugs through the power of friendship.

It's exactly the same as how they edited the jokes out of Solo - but worsened by the decision to extend the runtime by grafting on a Mandalorian plotline with zero relevance to the actual narrative.

Yeah, I imagine S2 was completed or at least already being made by the time TRoS was crashing and burning. Had a feeling that now they've got nothing else to distract them Disney's suits are going to descend on the one thing that people like and begin throwing their poo poo at it presuming they can Make It Better.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Mando S2 was released a year after TRoS, plenty of time for meddling

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, I imagine S2 was completed or at least already being made by the time TRoS was crashing and burning. Had a feeling that now they've got nothing else to distract them Disney's suits are going to descend on the one thing that people like and begin throwing their poo poo at it presuming they can Make It Better.

People generally liked Rogue One too. Obviously not as much as Mando and it definitely has some haters with legit criticisms, but it was more or less well received. Though since the ST hadn’t crashed and burned yet, it didn’t have that “Star Wars is good again” cultural moment. So Disney didn’t know they would soon desperately need non-sequel content to hawk.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Does anyone actually like the Amy Sedaris character?

She is grating. She is terrible. She seems to be self-aware she is in a Star Wars movie but not in a good way. I have never once laughed at her lines. She is less funny than a barely animate puppet. She reminds me of a family guy joke.

The Boba show is pretty bad but everytime I saw Poochy Sedaris I was just wishing anyone else was on screen.

Who was the Boba show for? It was interesting in that Star Wars is often so ridiculously hugely scaled but Boba's criminal empire is 2 orcs and a couple troubled teens. They don't actually do any crime stuff like selling drugs or assassinations.

The most laughable part of the show (there were lots) was when Boba's sidekick told the infamous gun for hire that they could use money to hire guns as if it was a revelation. Then they go and try to hire some farmers? Did we not drive into our loving heads that Mos Eisely is a hive of scum blah blah blah and there should be loads of interesting greasy gangster aliens to hire. Did not a war just end and there should be fuckloads of unemployed mercenaries and ex-soldiers everywhere?

No. We shall take over the city with farmers and lame teens.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 17, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you talking from the mandalorian ?

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

euphronius posted:

Are you talking from the mandalorian ?

She is in both Mandalorian and Boba show, but I suppose she is much more annoying in the Boba show because we see her more often, or maybe because the rest of the show is also bad so she just adds to the bad soup. In the Mandalorian she doesn't show up too often and thankfully disappears quickly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I didn’t watch boba after the first episode which was dire. I can see her character wearing thin past them supporting character role in Mando

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like that she IS a character, which is more than I can say for Cara Dune, Fennec, most of the other Mandalorians on the show, the Mods, pretty much anyone else in BoBF, etc.

The bar is reaaaallly low on these shows for characters who have anything more to them than a costume and a scowl. Sure, Sedaris may be a bit goofy, but she feels like she fits right in with the other goofy characters in the series.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Her worst bit was the unnecessary comedy during Mando's fight with the Rancor.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think the character itself is fine (not funny but fine) - the problem for me is the performance. She plays like a pantomime sidekick or something from a theme park ride, there's nothing convincing about it at all.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mr. Grapes! posted:

She is grating. She is terrible. She seems to be self-aware she is in a Star Wars movie but not in a good way. I have never once laughed at her lines. She is less funny than a barely animate puppet. She reminds me of a family guy joke.

The Boba show is pretty bad but everytime I saw Poochy Sedaris I was just wishing anyone else was on screen.

Who was the Boba show for? It was interesting in that Star Wars is often so ridiculously hugely scaled but Boba's criminal empire is 2 orcs and a couple troubled teens. They don't actually do any crime stuff like selling drugs or assassinations.

The most laughable part of the show (there were lots) was when Boba's sidekick told the infamous gun for hire that they could use money to hire guns as if it was a revelation. Then they go and try to hire some farmers? Did we not drive into our loving heads that Mos Eisely is a hive of scum blah blah blah and there should be loads of interesting greasy gangster aliens to hire. Did not a war just end and there should be fuckloads of unemployed mercenaries and ex-soldiers everywhere?

I agree

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Sounds like Disney is reluctant on letting Boba Fett be the dangerous Bounty Hunter everything else built him up to be.

I've only just met Cara Dune, but other than her introduction (which involved Mando forgetting he was a seasoned bounty hunter so she could get the jump on him), she was fine.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Her worst bit was the unnecessary comedy during Mando's fight with the Rancor.

Admittedly, I was mashing "skip ahead" for most of that episode, and especially that fight.

e: Also, rewatched the AotC Jango fight scene after BoBF ended. Could not have been more of a contrast to anything Boba did in the show with the same weapons, armor, and I suppose DNA. I'm not somebody who has a big built-up headcanon around Boba Fett being the ultimate badass, but yeesh.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 17, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

Sounds like Disney is reluctant on letting Boba Fett be the dangerous Bounty Hunter everything else built him up to be.

I've only just met Cara Dune, but other than her introduction (which involved Mando forgetting he was a seasoned bounty hunter so she could get the jump on him), she was fine.

Amusingly reminded of how Nintendo was weirded out when Retro wanted to have Samus actually hunt bounties in a Metroid game.

Clearly worth waiting to see what else they were making while Boba Fett was the second cake for Disney execs to ruin.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Amusingly reminded of how Nintendo was weirded out when Retro wanted to have Samus actually hunt bounties in a Metroid game.

Clearly worth waiting to see what else they were making while Boba Fett was the second cake for Disney execs to ruin.

To me the problem is this: if they wanted to tell the story they told, it didn't need to be Boba Fett, it could be a new character. It could be Cobb Vanth. It could have been the fat rancor trainer. It doesn't matter.

But to take Boba Fett, who we've already seen as a cool-headed operator in the Mandolorian (not just nonsense headcanon), and then make a story about him going straight and soft, it just doesn't make sense and screams of Disney using whatever "cool" characters they can.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darth TNT posted:

I know it's a kids show but Boba doing so little himself really did stun me. The show obviously had some problems because of how janky it is but it did give the vibe of like it maybe originally being made to have him do more and then Disney Creative or whoever being like no wait Boba's a good guy now why would he hurt people and trying to make that fit at the last second

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pook Good Mook posted:

It could be Cobb Vanth

That... could actually have worked really well. As far as I know he was one of the more popular Mando side characters, and the plot beats would feel a lot more natural coming from him. You'd just need an excuse to get him to Mos Espa, and presumably he'd be there to dismantle the crime ring rather than 'lead' it. Hell Boba could have been the antagonist, having taken over Jabba's crew and wanting to cling on to his scrap of power while Cobb tries to bring him down. That would have been much more interesting than the loving Pyke syndicate.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

stev posted:

That... could actually have worked really well. As far as I know he was one of the more popular Mando side characters, and the plot beats would feel a lot more natural coming from him. You'd just need an excuse to get him to Mos Espa, and presumably he'd be there to dismantle the crime ring rather than 'lead' it. Hell Boba could have been the antagonist, having taken over Jabba's crew and wanting to cling on to his scrap of power while Cobb tries to bring him down. That would have been much more interesting than the loving Pyke syndicate.

Yeowch. That's so vastly better than what we got that it bummed me out.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I don't mind Amy Sedaris' character, but I just like Amy Sedaris. I think she's supposed to be a little bit irritating, not that it's a good idea to make intentionally irritating characters. I saw her as the opposite of Mando, since he's quiet and strong while she won't shut the gently caress up and is sorta frail.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neo Rasa posted:

it did give the vibe of like it maybe originally being made to have him do more and then Disney Creative or whoever being like no wait Boba's a good guy now why would he hurt people and trying to make that fit at the last second.

A really huge issue is that events are presented in the 'wrong' order.

Cad Bane is the actual antagonist of the show, but he's introduced in episode 4.5 out of five (if you ignore the gratuitous baby yoda stuff). Boba announced his intention to take the throne in a postcredits teaser before the show even begins, but is only given official ownership of the castle by Jabba's relatives in episode 3 of five. He then only sits down to talk with all the various gangs about forming an alliance in episode 4 of five.

So here's the issue: this is all first-act stuff!

The narrative should go like:

-Boba kills Bib Fortuna and announces that he wants to run Jabba's old territory.
-Jabba's family is like "yeah good luck with that", then abandons the planet because they're scared of something.
-Boba sits down and negotiates an alliance with the existing gangs.
-Cad Bane shows up and starts murdering people.

Then you have a slowly escalating conflict with the fishmen in act 2, followed by an act 3 reveal: Boba's plan, all along, was not to secure a territory but to obliterate all the gangsters as revenge for the death of his family.

A side-effect of loving up this narrative structure is that events that ought to be taking place over maybe a few days end up seeming like months have passed. So it looks like Boba's been running a whole criminal empire, for nearly a year, with only like three dudes - and no crimes.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 17, 2022

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There was just too much time wasted in those first two episodes because they needed that Boba in the desert story to justify why he's changed as a character. Basically an entire episode(i.e. half of each of the first two episodes) was dedicated to that and it's time that could've been very valuable for giving the actual main story room to breathe a little bit.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

There was just too much time wasted in those first two episodes because they needed that Boba in the desert story to justify why he's changed as a character. Basically an entire episode(i.e. half of each of the first two episodes) was dedicated to that and it's time that could've been very valuable for giving the actual main story room to breathe a little bit.

It's more than that; in restructuring things so that the narrative is frontloaded with flashbacks, Disney eliminated the mystery element. The proper way to tell the story is to have Boba show up like a 'badass', and then appear increasingly 'in over his head' as the story progresses. Has he 'gone soft'? Throw in a few flashbacks to show that maybe he's changed too much. Then you have the reveal that, no, he's just gonna murder everyone.

On top of just being less narratively satisfying, the show has a very blatant ideological problem: the hero is literally a feudal lord who openly announces his intention to collect tithes. Fans scoffed when I described Disney's Resistance as neo-feudal, and now: lol.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

My understanding is boba is in the main an aspiring boomer landlord who wants to complain to the manager of crime. So yeah feudalism is as apt a match as any