Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

khwarezm posted:

Wasn't he 11 when he killed Cell?

They said that in a filler episode, but that'd make him 18 starting high school in the Buu Saga. That wouldn't fly on children's TV in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

TheHan posted:

spopovich is the one worst character because he isn’t fun and his only fight is unwatchable.

Spopovich was the one whose neck Videl totally would've snapped if he wasn't juiced on magic, right? I always thought that one moment was cool, even if everything after it sucked.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

TwoPair posted:

Spopovich was the one whose neck Videl totally would've snapped if he wasn't juiced on magic, right? I always thought that one moment was cool, even if everything after it sucked.

Yeah, Videl was outfighting him for a minute, before plot dictated that she get the poo poo beat out of her so Gohan would get mad.

I know we've all complained about how Videl gets turned into a domesticated wife after the Buu arc, but the aftermath of that fight was such a wasted moment of character development for her. It could have easily been a moment for her to go "gently caress, I'm never going to let myself be put in that kind of situation ever again," and have it become motivation for her to either train her rear end off to become a formidable fighter OR decide that fighting isn't for her after all, and justify her decision to become the character we see in Super

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The epic Gohan meme

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Siegkrow posted:

You know, I feel like way too many people give Piccolo a pass for kidnapping and abandoning gohan in the wilderness for 6 months, then spending another 6 months beating the poo poo out of a 5 year old.

He probably thought it was fine, he made a stab at world conquest before his 3rd birthday after all.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Captain Baal posted:

I'm sorry for the blunt response, but when you type an essay at me about all of the poo poo Gohan goes through in a really weird retort to my statement I find it difficult to approach this with charitability. Capping it off with minimizing all of the hosed up poo poo that happens to Goku because DB is partially a comedy also feels like a weird way to internalize what happened to Goku when you so strongly respond to what Gohan has to deal with.

Its not 'weird', Dragonball and DBZ have a considerably different tone which reflects on Goku and Gohan. In Dragonball most of the first half of the series is lighthearted adventure where Goku does things like fight magic rabbits and a ninja who gets his pole stuck up his rear end, and its reflected in Goku's sunny, positive disposition. It's only really when Tao Pai Pai appears that the stakes get raised but even there Goku getting knocked out by Tao's Dodon beam doesn't quite have the visceral nature of Gohan on the ground paralyzed after Recoome breaks his neck. Personally, I'd say that its the King Piccolo saga which signals a more permanent change into weightier events and stakes with major characters dying. In comparison Gohan is in the deep end from pretty much his first appearance.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dragonball and Dragonball z are fundamentally not real and it’s very odd to be speculating on gohans mental health imo.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

They should have let Gohan stick a pole up friezas rear end

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Namtab posted:

Dragonball and Dragonball z are fundamentally not real and it’s very odd to be speculating on gohans mental health imo.

Gohan goes to therapy arc, we can finally put an end to the fan debates about whether or not the Great Saiyaman is an expression of his Ginyu force related trauma.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Gohan goes to therapy arc, we can finally put an end to the fan debates about whether or not the Great Saiyaman is an expression of his Ginyu force related trauma.

Now that’s good television!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Namtab posted:

Yeah, like it's a shonen adventure show lol I don't really want to see realistic depictions of long term trauma and PTSD I want to see some cool punchies and beams and some silly comic relief inbetween

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Look, I'm not actually asking for the show to start getting ultra serious about PTSD or something I'm just saying that a lot of the things that happen to Gohan are hard to stomach and go quite a bit beyond silly punchman stuff.

And the franchise actually does sometimes examine the longer term ways this stuff effects the characters, there's a variety of things with Future Trunks but I'm particularly thinking about the couple of episodes where Krillin goes to the forest of terror and has to grapple with all the trauma from all of his fights and multiple deaths over the years.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The bit where he knocks off friezas face to reveal his own face was epic, and a subtle nod that krillin should not pursue power at all costs

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
When Goku saw someone get murdered in front of him, he did a short training arc, effortlessly beat the killer, and then went and destroyed an entire army as payback

The first time Gohan saw someone murdered in front of him, he was kidnapped by the murderer. The second and third time Gohan saw someone murdered in front of him, the murderer beat him up and then Goku effortlessly beat the killer. The fourth time Gohan saw someone murdered in front of him, it was part of the genocide of the Namekians and Gohan saved a grand total of one person in that entire arc, which he did by grabbing them and running away really fast and hiding. And so on. Gohan has seen a lot of people murdered in front of him!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Namtab posted:

Dragonball and Dragonball z are fundamentally not real
there's nothing more real than Goku

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Its not even that he doesn't want to fight! Being the Great Saiyaman was his choice! He's just tired of constantly being in high stakes deathmatches when instead he can goof around, do some good in his local area, and kiss his wife.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

the concept of wife kissing is utterly alien and terrifying to toriyama-sensei

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Youtube just recommended me this, is this real?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxifdhr-Ma8

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Vegeta kisses his wife.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

That is real, but it's a Funimation invention.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Some Numbers posted:

That is real, but it's a Funimation invention.

I figured if it's real it's something Funi made up. I just can't get over how it sounds or how Frieza moves.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Its pretty cringe in execution but I kind of like the idea, it makes Frieza seem a bit more mysterious.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Frieza got a lot of weird lines in early dubs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd6vi_AM7nk

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Frieza got a lot of weird lines in early dubs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd6vi_AM7nk

hosed up they left in 9000 but left this out

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
gohan is a well adjusted adult who loves his wife and child and just isnt interested in fighting

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

projecthalaxy posted:

Plus Frieza's dub actor killed it, as usual

Really interested to see the re-cast of the dub VA. :(

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think they’ve been using an understudy for the games and Super, I don’t think Chris Ayres had the stamina for extended sessions for a while since he mentioned doing Broly with 10% lung capacity.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Webbeh posted:

Really interested to see the re-cast of the dub VA. :(

Doesn't Greg Ayers play Frieza now?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Don't worry, considering the endless hiatus on the anime and the fact that Frieza hasn't even shown up in the comic in forever, even for an arc where he should be ostensibly a major player, we won't have to worry about a new dub VA for at least another decade.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah i figure they would use Damian Mills. He did a pretty good job in DBFZ Hes also the understudy of Ayers

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Doesn't Greg Ayers play Frieza now?

He passed away a few months ago, sadly.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Last Celebration posted:

He passed away a few months ago, sadly.

You're thinking of Chris Ayres, I think Greg is his brother and he did the voice for Frost.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

gohan is a well adjusted adult who loves his wife and child and just isnt interested in fighting

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

khwarezm posted:

I would watch this.

Bonus points if we occasionally get cuts to Goku and Vegeta doing a normal DBZ arc that we only get to see snippets of.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Daman Mills had voiced Frieza for the majority of DBS and every game that's come out since Chris Ayres was hospitalized. So it's safe to say he's the permanent English voice of Frieza going forward now that Ayres has unfortunately passed away.

khwarezm posted:

You're thinking of Chris Ayres, I think Greg is his brother and he did the voice for Frost.

Yeah, this is the case and was a way cooler decision than just getting Nakao to do a shittier voice for a Frieza pastiche for the second time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't have minded them getting Linda Young for Frost

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It'd be fun to watch a tongue-in-cheek parody long-episode of Gohan and Videl in therapy talking over their nutty lives and dealing with being Half-Saiyan

and yes you have frequent cuts while Gohan is talking serious to stuff like Vegeta pointing to himself, and then the cut after that is Vegeta being kicked in the ribs so hard he crumples like a dead spider

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Yeah but DBZ's not that kind of world so he should probably spend an hour a day in the hyperbolic time chamber for his family's health

Dads go to the gym and work out, it's a normal thing

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Videl should be the one up at 5am every morning to kick Gohan out of bed and tell him to stop being a NEEEEEEEEERD and go on a 20,000 mile flight-jog and spar before breakfast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gohan, through speaking through dirt and grit as God Emperor Platinum Frieza grinds his face into the ground: I'm a well adjusted family man who doesn't like fighting