Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

flakeloaf posted:

Just as context, "rebuke in presence of subordinate" is liable to get you charged in the military, constitutes a leadership failure for an officer, and is just generally really fuckin rude and a great way to lose the handle on your troops. The police aren't the military, but many of them think they are and there are more than a few vets in the mix, so pulling poo poo like this is an absolutely fantastic way to discard any excess credibility that might be a burden to your plan to flush your reputation.

it's a 21st century fragging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Poilievre surrounding himself with failures would be on brand.

I’m a Poilievre constituent who can’t get him to write us back about threats against healthcare worker family members, and he went on a podcast about bitcoin recently where he talked about how much time he spends listening to Bitcoin podcasts.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/DavidWCochrane/status/1493590811719745537

https://twitter.com/bleasdalefamily/status/1493450320428646400

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Piquai Souban posted:

I’m a Poilievre constituent who can’t get him to write us back about threats against healthcare worker family members, and he went on a podcast about bitcoin yesterday where he talked about how much time he spends listening to Bitcoin podcasts.

gently caress lol, he’s gonna win and we will have a bitcoin leader of the opposition

If he becomes PM we are so hosed

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Pierre Pollievre is not gonna win CPC leadership lol. It's Dougie's for the taking though

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Edit: Jesus, that article throws the blame all over the place. If anything, it's clear that the OPS is completely disorganized at this point.

They're disorganized because they want to be disorganized. If the protests were remotely left leaning they'd look like the most efficient and organized force on the planet in a matter of seconds.

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012
Judy Trinh has a good thread:

https://twitter.com/judyatrinh/status/1493625336541679617?s=20&t=a58NN9VUVgL4SM85xClY8Q

And here's a good take from a local activist who herself was harassed by cops on social media when she started pushing back against some corruption stuff earlier in the year:

https://twitter.com/mandi_pn/status/1493633195321012225?s=20&t=ogmOq0HXcljCuseGthIi-g

I'm not happy to see a black chief being forced out by a bunch of white-nationalist protesters. I'm not surprised to hear he was at ends with senior-management, because they all seem absolutely paralysed and don't seem to be doing their jobs. This means that Deputy Chief Steve Bell will probably be stepping in to replace him, and he's definitely got that old guard feel to him. Trish Ferguson is only acting because the deputy chief she's replacing is awaiting trial for sexually harassing a bunch of officers, and some other charges that showed up when he was working in Peel.

People have said cops are standing with the protesters, but I'm inclined to lean towards Just Ling's thread that was posted earlier. Morale has always been low in OPS, and now it's probably the lowest it has ever been amongst regular patrol officers in the face of paralysed leadership.

OPS has a problem keeping "talent", i.e. skilled officers. A lot of people have left because of the toxic work environment and the lovely culture. On top of that, the hiring process for OPS is one of the slowest in the country. My personal hypothesis is that any hiring process that takes a long time will result in the least qualified applicants actually being hired. At the end of a year-long competition, most qualified applicants have already accepted jobs elsewhere. The only people left in the hiring pool are ones who couldn't get hired elsewhere. Naturally, these are the only people who remain when it comes to assigning senior members into leadership positions. All the good people have left the city, and all that's left in the senior ranks are absolute idiots.

The idea now that leadership is falling to people who are in these senior positions at OPS does not sit well with me, nor does it bode well for the service. The police board needs to replace all of them. Bring in some radical new person from outside the city.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

leftist heap posted:

It's Dougie's for the taking though

In what universe is a not-particularly-socon premier of Ontario who's kept his province under COVID restrictions of some sort for nearly two years electable as the head of today's CPC?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Marty Crane posted:

The idea now that leadership is falling to people who are in these senior positions at OPS does not sit well with me, nor does it bode well for the service. The police board needs to replace all of them. Bring in some radical new person from outside the city.

No real disagreement with the rest of your post, but ... uh.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

tagesschau posted:

In what universe is a not-particularly-socon premier of Ontario who's kept his province under COVID restrictions of some sort for nearly two years electable as the head of today's CPC?

CPC voters don't live in reality.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/judyatrinh/status/1493651326068211720?s=20&t=s3PS67suaY0bfXfWZqlktg

If they collected the jerry cans, then the protestors would have had to go home and the cops wouldn't be able to stand around and collect overtime.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jordan7hm posted:

No real disagreement with the rest of your post, but ... uh.

No, listen, maybe it will work this time

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/curryb/status/1493671175205101574

Wanting to overthrow a democratically elected government because you don't like it is unacceptable yes. Also it's not the "views" that being punished, it's the attempted implementation of said views.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

https://twitter.com/gray_mackenzie/status/1493667929988157455?s=21

shut the gently caress up bergen

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/BlockbusterPlus/status/1489243115189944321?s=20&t=54dFtJxlATVoBxDMC2i7jA

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

no gently caress it keep going - this stupidity must keep growing and the cpc must fade into obscurity

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Slotducks posted:

this stupidity must keep growing and the cpc must fade into obscurity

That not how this works, unfortunately.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CPC: Why won't the prime minister do something to end these evil blockades that we supported two days ago? Why is he hiding and not doing a damned thing?

CPC: Why is the prime minister doing something to end these beautiful patriotic blockades that we have always supported? Why is out here being a tyrant?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Madkal posted:

CPC: Why won't the prime minister do something to end these evil blockades that we supported two days ago? Why is he hiding and not doing a damned thing?

CPC: Why is the prime minister doing something to end these beautiful patriotic blockades that we have always supported? Why is out here being a tyrant?

Well, you see, the thing he needed to do was resign and dissolve parliament, apparently. Finding some way to use his democratic mandate to continue to govern wasn't what they had in mind.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

infernal machines posted:

That not how this works, unfortunately.

Can I dream a bit?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Slotducks posted:

no gently caress it keep going - this stupidity must keep growing and the cpc must fade into obscurity

I can assure you that this isn't going to go as you hope

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Madkal posted:

The CPC can't be this petty and dumb can they?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

stab posted:

The CPC can't be this petty and dumb can they?

They're not dumb, just malicious. They're perfectly aware of what they're doing.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Unprecedented? Lol

My grandparents who had to endure military checkpoints and the threat of random arrest during the october crisis would probably disagree with that one.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

they're loving with the mail boxes now

https://twitter.com/AnnieClaireBO/status/1493709262593433606?s=20&t=rr9y-VlkrnNuTEL2qQtaOQ

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Isn't loving with the mail a serious no no legally speaking

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Probably fortifying their barricades. Are the police even monitoring or are they too busy guarding the empty trucks for them?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Tighclops posted:

seems like a great time+place to do it then!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Tighclops posted:

Starks posted:

seems like a great time+place to do it then!
:laffo:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Tighclops posted:

It is if there is someone enforcing the rules

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 7, 2023

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

https://twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/1493720631644467202?t=tYfVJmrcIHwkbf6yglrVOA&s=19

TABARNAK oh gently caress I'm mad now

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Everyone in charge is astoundingly stupid.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lol Canada effortlessly crumbling before a nacent fascist movement

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

LMAO.

loving top tier talent here. No wonder these clowns managed a two and a half week occupation with less than no opposition.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tighclops posted:

I don't know if I'd call the cops nascent...

Development
Jun 2, 2016

https://twitter.com/EvanLSolomon/status/1493722435069399042?s=20&t=Phs3ny-B2JcK4DlyHpCtxA

:rubby:

edit:

https://twitter.com/EvanLSolomon/status/1493731850363224065

Development fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 16, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tighclops posted:

The people of Ottawa were more than enough to stop the trucker hordes in their ambitions. Stop your hyperbole.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

jettisonedstuff posted:

Everyone in charge is astoundingly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Senior staffer to the Solicitor General on the givesendgo donor list. https://www.qpbriefing.com/2022/02/15/senior-staffer-of-solicitor-general-out-of-job-after-donating-to-freedom-convoy/