Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Whether it's smug moralizing or Les' triumph, Funky is going to be absolutely insufferable; worse than the kid gloves treatment of Wilbur.

It occurs to me that Batiuk is somewhat similar to Scott Adams: both received a lot of praise back in the day for their cartooning - Adams for capturing corporate bullshit so well in Dilbert, and Baituk for handling a difficult subject like cancer with sensitivity. Both allowed that praise to go to their heads, but that's where the similarities end. As far as I know, Batiuk isn't a smug chud who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, but he is completely up his own rear end with the interminable "comic book inside baseball" and "Les wallowing in self-pity" story lines.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Good Innvandrer

TegneHanne

Fantus is a character from tv show for kids in Norway:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
There's no world where it gets a surprise nomination though, where it wasn't on the SAG award list first.

Also, it either has an Oscar nomination or is up for an Oscar. Every film that was produced in the year is 'up for an Oscar nomination'.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Alhazred posted:

The Good Innvandrer

I'd be grateful if you didn't call me out quite this hard.

quote:

TegneHanne

This strip isn't pulling its punches, goddamn.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "35 - Jucika has a Cold"

"36 - Jucika's Heating Test"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Green Intern posted:

So we either get Les Moore's greatest triumph, having his wife immortalized in cinema forever, or a lot of smug moralizing after the fact when this lady is passed over for some other less-worthy performance.

I’m leaning towards both actually: she won’t get the award BUT she’ll stop Les as he’s huffing and puffing about it to give him a personal speech of what she WOULD have said if she won. Which is all about him and Lisa, ofc.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "35 - Jucika has a Cold"

Jucika attending Cyrano de Bergerac? Cultured!

Also, stay safe Norwegian baby.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'm assuming this was a The Passion of the Christ joke (the "zombie movie" would be the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead).

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

As someone who had to have lifesaving surgery as a baby: I identify with this.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I can't believe the answer really was "the window is closed." That's dumb even by EB standards. Or maybe I am not remembering the old stories as well as I think.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (April 6, 2010)

This is the same one you posted the other day. It's reruns so it doesn't really matter, but I thought I'd let you know.

JethroMcB posted:

It's almost certainly going the smug moralizing route, though I could also see the outcome where she wins and spends her entire speech (which takes a week of strips) thanking Lisa for literally saving her life while Les Moore sits in the audience making the same goddamn "smug, but depressed" expression he always does.
Ghost Lisa behind him in the audience, also smug but depressed.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: La Machine

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

:lol:

I'm picturing a TV show where Foob and Family Circus swap kids for a week, and before the week's over, Lynn has drowned them all in the bath tub.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 16, 1949)

Aleta intended to put a stop to this nonsense.

Narrator: And she did!

I'm down with this idea.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Why do I feel like this version of Moz's fanfic is just going to result in Kit handing her a gun when he breaks her out of jail and telling her where the man who ruined life is?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
"You were nominated for best supporting actress."
"But I was the central character!"
"No, everyone from the production we spoke to agreed that was the ghost, who was probably just possessing your body anyway. Your nomination is mostly a test case for if a deepfake face and voice on an another actor's body was nominated for an award - largely for the physical performance - who would win?"

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Still getting shot.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Julet Esqu posted:

This week Luann moves back into modern times:

My mom decided to bake some treats for the family dog once. Made the whole house smell like liver.
Yeah but what's that deformed hamster doing in the third panel?
Oh god my childhood.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ghostlight posted:

shout out to vincent price's theatre of blood

The critic with the two toy poodles? drat!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Those Phantom strips look cool arranged below each other like that, this is turning out into a rad spread of a split second moment.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Haifisch posted:

I'm down with this idea.
Yeah I legitimately like this.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tackling the difficult issues of the youth with the understanding of a boomer.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Comics Kingdom just isn't gonna update my comics today, huh?

Daddy Daze via ArcaMax

Take It From the Tinkersons via ArcaMax

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

They should let the spiders sitting on the red seat have a donut too.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Night Visitors

"Seventeen" is a ubiquitous brand of vending-machine ice cream.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
what can i say, it was valentine's

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
This sentient creature we mutated against its will and forced into servitude and constantly belittle is giving me attitude, do something about it you horrible alchemist reality pervert

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online Asphyxiation

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Do the creators of The Phantom miss the old days when comics artists had space and time to create, before the comics page was 18 shrunk-down strips on one page?

Or is their contract up when this storyline ends, and they're pulling some Arabian Nights shenanigans?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

You won't see as beautiful a fish anywhere else in comics. Look at the colours they've got.

Yep, this was discussed. He thinks that as he's giving it away for free, DC won't bother about it. If he does get a cease and desist, the plan is to redraw it all to make it a comic about Garfieldman.

Who, or what, is Garfieldman?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

Who, or what, is Garfieldman?

Imagine a wealthy man sitting in a high-backed chair wearing a smoking jacket and reading a newspaper near a large window, when suddenly one of those plastic garfield phones crashes through the glass.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

So we're all on the same page that it's Nathan Mazri then.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 6, 2000)

You'd use hydrogen peroxide for this, for the record.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Cobalt-60 posted:

Do the creators of The Phantom miss the old days when comics artists had space and time to create, before the comics page was 18 shrunk-down strips on one page?

Or is their contract up when this storyline ends, and they're pulling some Arabian Nights shenanigans?

I think DePaul likes to troll his readers/syndicate from time to time. He's pulled this poo poo before with e.g. the "Phantom gets locked in a cage with a lion" storyline and the "Phantom gives some lady a tour of his treasure cave" storyline.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 20-21, 1953)

I like how out of context this reads like an incomprehensibly wholesome Tom the Dancing Bug parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before I'm Just Going To Duck Behind This Blast Barrier For A Second

Skippy (May 26 and 28, 1934)

Peanuts (February 14-15, 1975)

You already saw Funky, so let's move on to Crankshaft!

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 15-16, 1938)

Out Our Way (March 31-April 2, 1938)

Toonerville Folks (September 26-28, 1918)

Dok's "If You Can't Beat 'Em..." Duck (December 23, 1913)

And a little something to send us home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lms5OxZlGBw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIynquvm0sA

Little Lefty (February 3-5, 1936)

Lefty's filling out a sign-up form for "Jimmy Collins Eaglets", an aviation column for the kids that ran in the Sunday Worker, combining the post-Lindbergh national enthusiasm for aviation with CPUSA-compatible advice to letter writers like "As for joining the air force--well, think it over carefully."

The club's namesake was a WW1 aviator/writer had lost his life in '35 during a test flight.

Blondie (Without The Zero), because Chic Young has started toying with the idea of what this strip would be like without Dagwood. (August 27-29, 1931)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 16, 2022