Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

indigi posted:

this mf said

Mao stepped in his swamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
you see donkey, communists are like onions, they come in Layers and each layer hates the other over trivial bullshit.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 17:48 on Feb 15, 2022

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

pissinthewind posted:

anyways im curious as to how much collaboration between russia and us there was for biden's domestic power up points. my guess is it wasn't 0.

Not sure about that. The US isn't really a monolith and Biden said very explicitly that the US would do gently caress all if Russia really invaded. I'm sure there was a faction that was trying to get Kiev to do something stupid so they'd have a bloody shirt to wave at people, but they weren't very good at pretending there would be substantial support

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

quote:

I'm glad for the United States to rebuff Russia or China at the costs spent so far.

lmao. also I'm grateful for my parents keeping me safe from the boogie man. oh and I can't possibly thank Santa Claus enough for all the wonderful gifts he's given me over the years.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

thatfatkid posted:

lmao. also I'm grateful for my parents keeping me safe from the boogie man. oh and I can't possibly thank Santa Claus enough for all the wonderful gifts he's given me over the years.

The phrasing really gave away the game that it isn't about defending Ukraine but is about checking other great powers imo. Like I'll gladly pay as long as I get the psychic benefits of being the world's greatest power.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

tbh I am also glad that US is destroying its navy and screwing over allies because of China and Russia.

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Lostconfused posted:

You got some shiny new western looking storefronts that look entirely out of place next to everything else.

While across the street you have

Buildings in the city center look a lot nicer, like they've got a fresh coat of paint. Also new churches, and old ones got a facelift.

But the housing is still soviet era poo poo, families living in the same apartment for generations. Roads all hosed up.

And that's the big cities, the small ones barely look any different. Now than they probably did back in the days of USSR.

All of that was just an example though, this isn't Kiev.

Ok so this looks pretty much similar to what I saw everywhere in the larger cities when I trekked there for 6 months in 2001.

Lmao at presenting this as proof of the hopeless decrepit state of a nation though (although tbf, I'm not sure this was OP intent).

I guess from my anecdotal pov, these images do infer some credence of long term stagnation wrt urban development, but I've seen so much worse during my years.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I'm still pretty incensed at CZS saying that his countrymen died in Iraq on my behalf as a burn when they ran out of other poo poo to say

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

TipTow posted:

I'm still pretty incensed at CZS saying that his countrymen died in Iraq on my behalf as a burn when they ran out of other poo poo to say

they died for nothing and deserved it. gently caress them.

people who took part in the mass murder that was the invasion and occupation of iraq don’t deserve any sympathy

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

TipTow posted:

yeah i dont think anyone dying in iraq did gently caress all for any american citizen, otherwise they would have been no need to create the huge propaganda campaign of "defending our freedoms" that is so well known today its become an eponymous form of mockery

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

TipTow posted:

He's a typical amerikkkan pro war liberal. worships the US military, defends any and every US foreign policy decision no matter how flagrantly aggressive and neocolonialist it is and most importantly considers any criticism of the US and its fascist nature as a personal assault on himself and responds in kind.

I wish them nothing but ill will and misery in all their endeavours in life.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

two-time fee posted:

I guess from my anecdotal pov, these images do infer some credence of long term stagnation wrt urban development, but I've seen so much worse during my years.

maybe the insides are different but those houses and streets don’t look different than where I grew up in Philadelphia

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HiroProtagonist posted:

yeah i dont think anyone dying in iraq did gently caress all for any american citizen, otherwise they would have been no need to create the huge propaganda campaign of "defending our freedoms" that is so well known today its become an eponymous form of mockery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPquarz16wQ

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TipTow posted:

Not that I'm inclined to do that idiot any favors, but I think the generous interpretation is that they were trying to say 'we earned our right to hide under your security umbrella because that's what your country asked for us to do at the time.' The poo poo about go tell the father of our war dead that they died for nothing or whatever was ridiculous though.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

thatfatkid posted:

He's a typical amerikkkan pro war liberal. worships the US military, defends any and every US foreign policy decision no matter how flagrantly aggressive and neocolonialist it is and most importantly considers any criticism of the US and its fascist nature as a personal assault on himself and responds in kind.

I wish them nothing but ill will and misery in all their endeavours in life.

I believe he's from the Baltics.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Latvia yeah

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Conspiratiorist posted:

I believe he's from the Baltics.

He's latvian.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Can’t wait for the media today to be all tuxedo masking about how the west stop evil Russias invasion

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/1493515518837411844?s=20&t=O4WySIpU2lLYWmDqyIvSaw

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

imagine being Latvian then dying like a chump in iraq like a loser instead of wearing adidas and partying to nice techno music with hot ladies on a sunset seaside Baltic Dacha lol

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 18:14 on Feb 15, 2022

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1493562547810746370

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

lotta folks taking victory laps itt when we don’t have clean satellite photos yet!!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/mkpetkova/status/1493614827197054979?s=20&t=O4WySIpU2lLYWmDqyIvSaw

Putin won't recognize the separatist republics as sovereign, even though he says a genocide is happening.
https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1493593679071698956?s=20&t=O4WySIpU2lLYWmDqyIvSaw

Also 5 Eyes are pretending they found a new pro-Russian coup plot
https://twitter.com/valentinapop/status/1493522358082191363?s=20&t=O4WySIpU2lLYWmDqyIvSaw

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

two-time fee posted:

Ok so this looks pretty much similar to what I saw everywhere in the larger cities when I trekked there for 6 months in 2001.
Yeah that was pretty much my point. It looked like that in the 90s, the 00s, and 2018.

Edit: Also that money was spent on commercial development and stuff like the national bank branch and regional philharmonic in the city center.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Feb 15, 2022

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol the US is going to pretend Zero Hedge is to blame for this whole thing
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1493601284695412745?s=20&t=O4WySIpU2lLYWmDqyIvSaw

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Tyler Durden would never do that!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Atrocious Joe posted:

lol the US is going to pretend Zero Hedge is to blame for this whole thing
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1493601284695412745?s=20&t=O4WySIpU2lLYWmDqyIvSaw

Zerohedge is great. The guy who runs it is a lunatic, but he posts internal Goldman Sachs data.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

Zerohedge is great. The guy who runs it is a lunatic, but he posts internal Goldman Sachs data.

you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

can't wait to have 2022 in this pic

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

anyhow can’t wait for the d&d brainless squad to learn literally nothing from this whole farce

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's infuriating how easy it is for them to repress any kind of cognitive dissonance based on a single headline. If I could never doubt anything that easily I'd have a much happier life.

Brown Moses at least gets paid to be a dumbass. Those losers do it for their posting bros.

wow biden strong!! what a tough leader

Mr Hootington posted:

America and d&d still has time to send a goon to their death

some poor gullible goon who actually believed the propaganda is probably flying into ukraine right now, not realizing they're in more danger from their nazi militia bros than the russians

Frosted Flake posted:

also lol at the dastardly NVA increasing harvests while the ARVN caused food shortages in the countryside by taking all the young men.

one hell of a good effortpost, tyvm and please post more. I've been listening to the inward empire episodes on Diem, and it's fascinating in a train wreck kind of way. I didn't realize their denounce communists campaign was so successful (temporarily) in the south, or just how much of a loving nutjob Diem was. just totally detached from reality and insulated in a bubble of corruption, yes-men, and US advisors. lol that the advisors kept saying "compromise with other factions, build a coalition" while Diem just 100% refused to bend or stop stabbing his own potential allies (or potential rivals for leadership, tbf) in the back. deranged incel scorpion-man in a sharkskin suit.

this dumb mf actually trusted ed lansdale smdh

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Some Guy TT posted:

so ukraine has a nazi insurgent restaurant a pogrom theme restaurant and a stereotypical jewish restaurant are we sure their entire economy isnt just based around weird novelty restaurants

is there a combination of all of these like there’s Magic Time Machine restaurants in the US???

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Remember when Zero Hedge got banned from twitter in Jan 2020 because they were posting COVID is a bioengineered virus

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

gradenko_2000 posted:

Remember when Zero Hedge got banned from twitter in Jan 2020 because they were posting COVID is a bioengineered virus

and now you get banned from SA if you say it isn't

marty4286
Jan 27, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

They cannot be separated, which - parenthetically - is why the ARVN and ANA failed: you cannot “copy” an army divorced from social context. Give a Vietnamese soldier an American rifle, place him in an American uniform and American style platoon, and he will still want to go back to his home village to bring in the harvest.

This is something that also happened to Italy in WW1. Southern Italians seemed to desert in droves, but they always came back--they were just going home to help with the harvest. This was always met with the harshest punishments anyway, and that's how you set yourself up for Caporetto.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

thatfatkid posted:

So is nordstream 2 operational and pumping gas to germany now or what? surely theres no point not taking the gas from russia if they arent the blood sucking monsters craving the flesh of ukrainian virgins the western media would have had us believe

No. No gas or oil is flowing through Nordstream 2 at this time.

The pipeline was completed in September 2021, but certification by German regulators was suspended in November until a subsidiary headquartered in German is set up. This has recently occurred, but the certification process won't resume until the transfer of assets and personal.

Uniper expects Nordstream 2 to be available for gas transport in October.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Feb 15, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Plenty of time to organize another war scare before then.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Vietnam is an interesting study for an American Way of War because in theory all of these lessons were learned:

- Don’t prop up a corrupt urban regime just because they seem the most “Westernized”, you’ll lose the countryside.

- Build a real economy instead of handing money to the corrupt government.

- As any government built from the tiny core of “Westernized” people willing to work with you is corrupt, unpopular, and unable to create legitimacy, you’ll be trapped into buying off the warlords that creates outside of the capital.

- When you devote all of your efforts towards this urban, educated population because you find them those most palatable, you’ll not only continue to be estranged from the rest of the population, you also further estrange the rest of the population from them.

- Don’t rely on firepower, that will turn the population against you. Turning to this because you’re outnumbered by an increasingly hostile population, and the army you created is unable or unwilling to fight, is a signal that you’ve already lost.

There was an entire industry writing books, teaching courses, presenting papers with all of these lessons learned between 1975-2001. People made their careers in the Pentagon by proposing detailed reforms and studying these failures. It was a whole big thing. Petraeus made his career by publishing the first US Counterinsurgency Manual since Vietnam. I should also mention that between 1999-2001 several books and papers came out saying the US was deluding itself by thinking airpower or technology could win, or even decisively influence wars.

As soon as the task of setting up the “New” Iraq and Afghanistan started, all of this went out the window. I’m inclined to think the political dimension came first, and their desire for the kinds of governments they wanted to establish dictated that they would be unpopular, lavishly equip armies that wouldn’t fight, and thus rely on firepower and control of Baghdad/Kabul alone - so lose the war.

The Iraqi government that beat ISIS is one that has reasserted itself and is not stuck acting at the US’ behest. Hell, they beat ISIS because they turned to Iran and used Shia militias - obviously not the American Way of War which had created the Mechanized division routed at Mosul.

I realize the US relationship with Kiev is not the same, but I also think it’s why letting Canadian emigre ghouls de collectivize agriculture and write the constitution doomed them. The ideological project came first, all of the money and resources aren’t going to make it popular, the military aid won’t matter because you can’t turn them into the US Army so you’ll just have unmotivated Ukrainian conscripts with M4s, and girls’ robotics teams and NGOs in Kiev while everybody else is poor and angry.

I don’t know what this says about the culture of the US military, other than it falls into the same pitfalls built into it as the IJA and Wehrmacht, and is doomed to repeat mistakes.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:23 on Feb 15, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1479377517316382723

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

one big reason why america didn’t internalize the lessons of the Vietnam war was because the 1990 gulf war blowout happened.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

The charts are good.

Anyway
https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1493625235731623937?t=O3uJ6xsd7yIIth2fTtIWXw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Lol how do you look at Russia parking 60% of their active military on Ukraine's border after 8 years of war and go "Hmm yes, this is America's fault!" as if Russia has no agency of its own and everything is the doing of those perfidious Americans. Brains completely frictionless, spinning around in their skulls at increasing speed as they work to figure out how 400+ years of strained and hostile historical Russian-Ukrainian relationships are actually the fault of the American military industrial complex