Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

selec posted:

He’s getting gassed up by Mencius Moldbug and is obviously hot on the idea of creating a Balkanized internet for dudes who can’t bear to see pronouns or pink hair.

Which is all the weirder considering the first time I was aware he had truly turned to the dark side was him destroying gawker for outing him as gay.

Bankrolling the people that would put him in a camp to own the libs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Mellow Seas posted:

It's not "haggling over precise wording". It's pointing out the actual, unambiguous definition of words.

I don't think you're intentionally being a loving dipshit about this, but here we are.

We're not "financing a war". Russia (allegedly) wants to start a war. We are trying to prevent one. And considering the vast, vast difference in the danger to American lives and the expenditure of American wealth, as well as our actual culpability in starting the conflict, what we are doing is not a difference in degree but in kind from "starting a war". Of course, everybody knows that, so I don't even know why I'm arguing with you and your indefensible position.

If Russia feels that her soldiers are threatened by American-supplied arms, then I would suggest the following course of action: Don't invade and attempt to conquer a sovereign nation.

I hope America doesn't start a war in your house

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is what a dying empire looks like.

It can't be swift and brutal enough

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is what a dying empire looks like.

Not as apocalyptic as that one time

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Lol how do you look at Russia parking 60% of their active military on Ukraine's border after 8 years of war and go "Hmm yes, this is America's fault!" as if Russia has no agency of its own and everything is the doing of those perfidious Americans. Brains completely frictionless, spinning around in their skulls at increasing speed as they work to figure out how 400+ years of strained and hostile historical Russian-Ukrainian relationships are actually the fault of the American military industrial complex

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Not as apocalyptic as that one time

Ask anyone living in Northern California if the last few years have been apocalyptic enough yet.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

Lol how do you look at Russia parking 60% of their active military on Ukraine's border after 8 years of war and go "Hmm yes, this is America's fault!" as if Russia has no agency of its own and everything is the doing of those perfidious Americans. Brains completely frictionless, spinning around in their skulls at increasing speed as they work to figure out how 400+ years of strained and hostile historical Russian-Ukrainian relationships are actually the fault of the American military industrial complex

There are wars going on in Colombia, Ethiopia, Somalia, Uganda, Nigeria, The Congo, Algeria, Chad, Libya, Niger, Suda, Rwanda, South Sudan, and Mozambique just to name a few countries. Ukraine has extremely rich and complementary mineral resources in high concentrations and close proximity to each other. The country has abundant reserves of coal, iron ore, natural gas, manganese, salt, oil, graphite, sulfur, kaolin, titanium, nickel, magnesium, timber, and mercury. Why are we getting involved specifically in Ukraine?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

Russia definitely has agency, and was the primary bad actor in this episode. The reason why people are also assigning blame to the U.S. is that our government and media hyped this up as the prelude to war, even while the Ukrainian government insisted this was not the case and asked us to please stop doing that. The Ukrainian economy is taking a hit because of this, and the panic-mongering has not helped.

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009

Blindeye posted:

Which is all the weirder considering the first time I was aware he had truly turned to the dark side was him destroying gawker for outing him as gay.

Bankrolling the people that would put him in a camp to own the libs.

Modern fascism doesn't care if you're gay if you're rich enough. He'll be the one putting people in camps, that's why he's bankrolling the American right.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Majorian posted:

The reason why people are also assigning blame to the U.S. is that our government and media hyped this up as the prelude to war, even while the Ukrainian government insisted this was not the case and asked us to please stop doing that. The Ukrainian economy is taking a hit because of this, and the panic-mongering has not helped.

Yes, this is dead on, and it's exactly what the US State Department and its allies in the media deserve criticism for. But there are people here pretending that much, much larger sins are being committed - sins of military aggression on par with Russia's. And in this particular case, it's just nonsense.

e: And when I say "particular case," that's a recognition of the context that could lead somebody to a different conclusion. But to me, the facts (and the realities of M.A.D.) are telling a different story.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 15, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Facebook's "News Feed" feature was fairly lucrative for them because they partnered with a bunch of high-traffic right wing pages (like Dan Bongino, Ben Shapiro, etc.)

They can under scrutiny and criticism for promoting these pages, which included many verifiably false claims about vaccines, the 2020 election, and critical race theory, on their "News Feed."

They figured out a solution that would allow them to keep the money and avoid misinforming people who are looking for news on the "News Feed."

https://twitter.com/facebookapp/status/1493633545444675589

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

The New Yorker wrote an interesting profile of Franken in 2019.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/07/29/the-case-of-al-franken

His main accuser, Leeann Tweeden is a right-wing radio personality, and clearly lied about or misremembered many things in her accusation. Of course, the situation is very much complicated by the existence of other accusers. I'm not telling anybody what to think about Franken - I was a fan of his from a very, very young age, so I have a hard time being unbiased - but I think the New Yorker piece is a good read.
Wow this article is super disgusting

quote:

Some people saw the photograph as a mere gag. Emily Yoffe, writing in The Atlantic, called the image “an inoffensive burlesque of a burlesque.” Yoffe, who has argued that men accused of sexual misdeeds deserve more due process, noted that Franken and Tweeden were “on a U.S.O. tour, which is a raunchy vaudeville throwback.”

quote:

It’s understandable that Tweeden objected to Franken’s having reënacted the gag for a photograph while she was asleep. But when she wrote, “How dare anyone grab my breasts like this and think it’s funny?,” she omitted the fact that she had performed the “breast exam” bit multiple times.
:chloe:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

There are wars going on in Colombia, Ethiopia, Somalia, Uganda, Nigeria, The Congo, Algeria, Chad, Libya, Niger, Suda, Rwanda, South Sudan, and Mozambique just to name a few countries. Ukraine has extremely rich and complementary mineral resources in high concentrations and close proximity to each other. The country has abundant reserves of coal, iron ore, natural gas, manganese, salt, oil, graphite, sulfur, kaolin, titanium, nickel, magnesium, timber, and mercury. Why are we getting involved specifically in Ukraine?

I mean, for one aren't all of those civil wars? And most of those countries also have raw resources we'd like to have. A lot of EV material comes from Africa.

I am unsure what you arguing anymore. I think you are trying to fit AMERICA BAD into an argument where we haven't really done much other than say to Russia please don't invade a sovereign nation. OK, yes,

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

UP AND ADAM posted:

It can't be swift and brutal enough

Why would you wish for brutality?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't even know what Peter Thiel is doing with his life anymore.

Much like Mike Lindell, mostly copious, literally mind-blowing amounts of drugs.

Lib and let die posted:

How many of those countries border NATO countries?

How are u posted:

I mean probably because of...all the brutality committed by American Empire, I guess

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 15, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

How are u posted:

Please don't stir this pot.

Probably Magic posted:

The problem with this thinking is that Vietnam and Syria were also situations that started off as simply American supply missions, and at some point we become more and more involved until, oops, we're in a war. This is how American wars start far more often than something like Shock and Awe.

Here's some comments from Barack Obama about how we would never put boots on the ground in Syria: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2015/10/30/16-times-obama-said-there-would-no-boots-ground-syria/74869884/. We had 2000 troops in Syria by the end of 2017. All "advisory."

I think assuming that America does not want Russia to invade and therefore insure a hefty investment in the military-industrial complex runs counter to America's recent history in world conflict. America wants conflict. Even more so than protecting its allies, it wants a reason to protect its allies.

Kind of? There was a whole issue with the French Occupation and us basically being unwilling to keep our promises to Ho Chi Minh for his backing during World War 2 against the Japanese. There's a deeper problem that led to Vietnam than just "We were supplying them and BAM we're involved." Plus the lovely idea of Domino theory. Its not the same as what is occurring in Ukraine.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 15, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

"Bad guy with a gun" attempts armed robbery of man at ATM.

Fortunately, the victim was a "good guy with a gun" and he defended himself with his gun. They exchanged gunfire and neither the robber nor the victim hit each other, but the victim managed to hit a 9-year old girl in a car nearby.

Another "good guy with a gun" success story.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1493658851920560129

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Just unbelievable blatant age discrimination going on at IBM for over a decade:

quote:

“We discussed the fact that our millennial population trails competitors,” says one email from a top executive at the time. “The data below is very sensitive — not to be shared — but wanted to make sure you have it. You will see that while Accenture is 72% millennial we are at 42% with a wide range and many units falling well below that average. Speaks to the need to hire early professionals.”

“Early professionals” was the company’s term for a role that required little prior experience.

Another email by a top executive, appearing to refer to older workers, mentions a plan to “accelerate change by inviting the ‘dinobabies’ (new species) to leave” and make them an “extinct species.”

A third email refers to IBM’s “dated maternal workforce,” an apparent allusion to older women, and says: “This is what must change. They really don’t understand social or engagement. Not digital natives. A real threat for us.”

Both earlier legal filings and the newly unsealed documents contend that IBM sought to hire about 25,000 workers who typically had little experience during the 2010s. At the same time, “a comparable number of older, non-Millennial workers needed to be let go,” concluded a passage in one of the newly unsealed documents, a ruling in a private arbitration initiated by a former IBM employee.

Similarly, the E.E.O.C.’s letter summarizing its investigation of IBM found that older workers made up over 85 percent of the group whom the company viewed as candidates for layoffs, though the agency did not specify what it considered “older.”

The newly unsealed documents suggest that IBM sought to carry out its strategy in a variety of ways, including a policy that no “early professional hire” can be included in a mass layoff in the employee’s first 12 months at the company. “We are not making the progress we need to make demographically, and we are squandering our investment in talent acquisition and training,” an internal email states.

The lawsuit also argues that IBM sought to eliminate older workers by requiring them to move to a different part of the country to keep their jobs, assuming that most would decline to move. One internal email stated that the “typical relo accept rate is 8-10%,” while another said that the company would need to find work for those who accepted, suggesting that there was not a business rationale for asking employees to relocate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lib and let die posted:

Moose beat me to part of my argument (what, Libya, the Congo, and Ethiopia don't have natural resources?) but:

- nobody in the West pays attention to sub-Saharan Africa, even the dnd thread is tragically underappreciated
- civil wars are boring
- long-lasting wars are boring, see: coverage of major US invasions with actual boots on the ground simmering down when they entered forever-war stage. Heck, coverage of the initial definitely-not-a-Russian-invasion of Crimea and Donbas went down when Crimea was solidly taken and Donbas became something resembling a long-lasting civil war.

Current-Ukraine, meanwhile, is a large-ish, developed-ish, :siren:European:siren: nation currently being actively threatened by a gigantic military buildup by a major regional power. That would get clicks without any sort of nefarious American intent.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

None of the wars in countries you've named are a threat to Europe and the western security apparatus, what is even the point of gish-galloping irrelevant countries and their resources at me as if it matters at all? We don't care about Ukrainian natural resources. We do care about Russia being able to bully their neighbors with impunity up to and including annexing chunks of their territory, many of whom are in our strategic defensive military alliance. Is this a joke post?

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 15, 2022

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Huh weird that the only one of those countries with resources we care about is the one where Russia might gain control of those resources. :thunk:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

fart_man_69 posted:

Modern fascism doesn't care if you're gay if you're rich enough. He'll be the one putting people in camps, that's why he's bankrolling the American right.

No, just like 30s fascism, being gay is perfectly fine until your usefulness has run out. Just look at who they killed off in the night of the long knives. Thiel just thinks he's too rich and powerful to repeat history perfectly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

Huh weird that the only one of those countries with resources we care about is the one where Russia might gain control of those resources. :thunk:

The point of those resources is to sell them on the global market. Unless the United States government was going to seize all Ukrainian minerals personally and deposit all the proceeds directly into the treasury, then it doesn't really matter who puts the resources on the market. Minerals are fungible and not unique.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The point of those resources is to sell them on the global market. Unless the United States government was going to seize all Ukrainian minerals personally and deposit all the proceeds directly into the treasury, then it doesn't really matter who puts the resources on the market. Minerals are fungible and not unique.

You cannot possibly believe US planners think this way

What have we been doing in the Middle East for the last century if it "doesn't matter" who sells the oil on the global market because it's all fungible anyway

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

There is a frankly insane amount of private US money tied up in ensuring that Ukraine, and not Russia, control who and when those deposits are sold to. Without putting myself at actual, grave professional risk, I literally can not tell you how much and who is invested in it, but I've seen at least a dozen 501c3 orgs with big money being funneled into them aiming for "economic development" (read: neocolonialism) in Ukraine, and those tax havens all fall to poo poo if Russia controls Ukraine.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

There is a frankly insane amount of private US money tied up in ensuring that Ukraine, and not Russia, control who and when those deposits are sold to. Without putting myself at actual, grave professional risk, I literally can not tell you how much and who is invested in it, but I've seen at least a dozen 501c3 orgs with big money being funneled into them aiming for "economic development" (read: neocolonialism) in Ukraine, and those tax havens all fall to poo poo if Russia controls Ukraine.

My guess is there lots of American 501c3s in numerous countries. This doesn't mean anything. Also are tax havens in Ukraine or the 501c3s?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

You cannot possibly believe US planners think this way

What have we been doing in the Middle East for the last century if it "doesn't matter" who sells the oil on the global market because it's all fungible anyway

Not doing a good job since China and France got all of the contracts for oil and gas extraction with the Ministry of Oil in Iraq.

Lib and let die posted:

A 501(c)3 is not necessary for a tax haven and foreign charities aren't tax-deductible. The E.U. and NATO aren't going to base their entire Ukraine policy around people donating to U.S. charities operating in Ukraine to evade U.S. income taxes. Russia controlling Ukraine doesn't change the IRS designation of a 501(c)3 organization.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

My guess is there lots of American 501c3s in numerous countries. This doesn't mean anything. Also are tax havens in Ukraine or the 501c3s?

Your first line isn't the "gotcha" you think it is - since I started working in nonprofits I've grown more, not less dubious of the intentiojs of NGOs that operate outside domestic borders. (As a minor aside, it's an irony not lost on me that my favorite clients to work with now are small churches doing the Good Work of feeding and clothing the vulnerable in their communities)

And to be clear, I'm talking about US-based nonprofits, with US-based donors with known vested interests in production lines that rely on said mineral resources.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Schumer changing his tune on another stimulus bill. Who knows what it will contain or if it will go anywhere.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1493674690711330824

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Schumer changing his tune on another stimulus bill. Who knows what it will contain or if it will go anywhere.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1493674690711330824
I doubt that the WH gets onboard with that, let alone Manchin

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

I doubt that the WH gets onboard with that, let alone Manchin

Yeah, I agree. I think the WH would definitely jump on something that could provide some stimulus and a legislative win, but I doubt Manchin will be on board with anything significant.

Just significant because he had been pretty clear that they weren't going to do another one last year because the economy was recovering and they wanted to pass BBB. "Obviously, we're going to have to do something" is a pretty big change from before.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

Your first line isn't the "gotcha" you think it is - since I started working in nonprofits I've grown more, not less dubious of the intentiojs of NGOs that operate outside domestic borders. (As a minor aside, it's an irony not lost on me that my favorite clients to work with now are small churches doing the Good Work of feeding and clothing the vulnerable in their communities)

And to be clear, I'm talking about US-based nonprofits, with US-based donors with known vested interests in production lines that rely on said mineral resources.

Here is my problem with your line of thinking.

First, you are saying the US is doing ALL THESE THINGS IN UKRAINE where all the US government has done (via NATO) is provide Javelin missiles to stop a potential Russian incursion. You keep insisting that the US is actually pushing THINGS when we are clearly seeing Russian aggression. You keep wanting to press this point saying its actually the US who is in the wrong here.

Second, there are way better tax havens via 501c3s both domestically and internationally. Saying well there is 501c3s to build networks in these countries again doesn't mean anything. I am not saying these 501c3s are noble but my guess is there are similar 501c3s in other countries across Europe to be a recruitment arm for all sorts of businesses or companies.

Third, you're talking about natural resources of Ukraine that the US seems to be clamoring for all the mineral rights and I am assuming gas rights. Ok, other countries have resources like this that wouldn't require a hot war or are closer to the American sphere of influence if you want a more realist perspective. Quite frankly it feels like you are trying to find a narrative that fits for something you don't want to admit and that is other countries have imperial ambitions too.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

Here is my problem with your line of thinking.

First, you are saying the US is doing ALL THESE THINGS IN UKRAINE where all the US government has done (via NATO) is provide Javelin missiles to stop a potential Russian incursion. You keep insisting that the US is actually pushing THINGS when we are clearly seeing Russian aggression. You keep wanting to press this point saying its actually the US who is in the wrong here.

Second, there are way better tax havens via 501c3s both domestically and internationally. Saying well there is 501c3s to build networks in these countries again doesn't mean anything. I am not saying these 501c3s are noble but my guess is there are similar 501c3s in other countries across Europe to be a recruitment arm for all sorts of businesses or companies.

Third, you're talking about natural resources of Ukraine that the US seems to be clamoring for all the mineral rights and I am assuming gas rights. Ok, other countries have resources like this that wouldn't require a hot war or are closer to the American sphere of influence if you want a more realist perspective. Quite frankly it feels like you are trying to find a narrative that fits for something you don't want to admit and that is other countries have imperial ambitions too.

Ah! There it is! Of course other countries - especially industrialized ones - have imperial ambitions - hell, Russia has tried more than once in my lifetime to annex surrounding countries. Could you point to the post where I specifically state that Russia has no imperialist intentions? At worst, I alluded to the fact that Russia wants those mineral resources without explicitly using the word "imperialist", so where you've gotten the idea that I'm championing Russia as a peaceful nation that just wants to run some harmless military exercises on the border of Ukraine is a complete and utter mystery to me.

But you know what? That's not an excuse for us to get involved. The idea that we have to get involved (either directly or by proxy) in Ukraine because Russia has imperial ambitions is ludicrous.

You are right that there are better tax havens - but the types I've seen have a sort of double-advantage in that they help rich assholes hide away "some" money while also having a gamble that Ukraine will join NATO and offer favorable trade conditions to other member states of NATO, an ROI on an even greater scope than just avoiding some taxes - brand new supply lines for battery components, in close proximity to east-Asian manufacturing facilities.

I generally consider escalating a conflict to be pushing for a conflict, yes, and I don't think that's an unreasonable conclusion to draw: if I tell someone their dodgy old soviet-era grenade launcher is worthless against a T-90 and I replace it with a modern anti-tank launcher, I've helped to validate and escalate the conflict - just like the member states of NATO have done in Ukraine.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

Ah! There it is! Of course other countries - especially industrialized ones - have imperial ambitions - hell, Russia has tried more than once in my lifetime to annex surrounding countries. Could you point to the post where I specifically state that Russia has no imperialist intentions? At worst, I alluded to the fact that Russia wants those mineral resources without explicitly using the word "imperialist", so where you've gotten the idea that I'm championing Russia as a peaceful nation that just wants to run some harmless military exercises on the border of Ukraine is a complete and utter mystery to me.

But you know what? That's not an excuse for us to get involved. The idea that we have to get involved (either directly or by proxy) in Ukraine because Russia has imperial ambitions is ludicrous.

You are right that there are better tax havens - but the types I've seen have a sort of double-advantage in that they help rich assholes hide away "some" money while also having a gamble that Ukraine will join NATO and offer favorable trade conditions to other member states of NATO, an ROI on an even greater scope than just avoiding some taxes - brand new supply lines for battery components, in close proximity to east-Asian manufacturing facilities.

I generally consider escalating a conflict to be pushing for a conflict, yes, and I don't think that's an unreasonable conclusion to draw: if I tell someone their dodgy old soviet-era grenade launcher is worthless against a T-90 and I replace it with a modern anti-tank launcher, I've helped to validate and escalate the conflict - just like the member states of NATO have done in Ukraine.

Joining NATO doesn't confer any trade benefits. You can sign a trade deal without being a member of NATO (most of the U.S.'s most favorable trade deals are with non-NATO members). This would be an incredibly inefficient and expensive way for a small group of Americans who donate to Ukrainian charities and own East-Asian manufacturing companies to save money.

I don't think you are wrong about the U.S. and NATO potentially escalating the conflict (although, would Russia invading Ukraine count as an escalation?), but that seems like an extremely narrow reason for the E.U. and NATO members to go along with all of this for the benefit of the very small amount of U.S. taxpayers and investors who are involved in Ukrainian charities and exports.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 15, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Edit: Somehow double posted despite the 10 second post timer.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Russia is the one escalating the conflict. They started the conflict. They invaded and annexed a chunk of land. They're about to do it AGAIN. Giving Ukrainians the means to try and stop that continual escalation is not, in fact, escalation itself unless you're totally content with allowing an independent country get devoured by a neighbor because they had the gall to want a government that wasn't in Moscow's pocket.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Joining NATO doesn't confer any trade benefits. You can sign a trade deal without being a member of NATO (most of the U.S.'s most favorable trade deals are with non-NATO members). This would be an incredibly inefficient and expensive way for a small group of Americans who donate to Ukrainian charities and own East-Asian manufacturing companies to save money.

It's not about saving money - it's about making money.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FBI says that Americans lost $1.1 billion to online catfishing and romance scams in 2021.

That is a 71% increase from 2019 and Interpol, Europol, and the FBI say that the increasing ease with which regular people can get cryptocurrencies has made online scams and ransomware more profitable and popular than ever in the E.U and North America.

quote:

FBI: Americans Lost $1 Billion to Romance Scams in 2021

Alongside other forms of cybercrime, romance scams have been on the rise since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and have cost Americans more than US$1 billion in 2021 alone, the FBI said in a press release ahead of Valentine’s Day.

Perpetrators mainly target women over 40 who are widowed, divorced, elderly or disabled. “The victim just wants connection and companionship. The bad guy generally wants cold hard cash,” the FBI warned.

Romance scams occur when a criminal adopts a fake online identity to gain a victim’s affection and trust and then uses the illusion of a romantic or close relationship to manipulate and steal from the victim, the agency explained in a primer on the crime.

As more and more of both business activity and social interaction moved online thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, cybercrime has spiked exponentially.

Very often those with the weakest access to digital education, which according to a study by Malwarebytes include minorities, women and the elderly, become victims of cybercrime.

Phishing attacks and social engineering, like romance scams, remain two of the most common crimes on the web, according to Europol. With an elderly and often non-tech savvy population unexpectedly thrust into remote work, that type of crime has become all the more lucrative as many are reaching out for human connection online.

The scammers, on the other hand, use the pandemic-related restrictions on movement as an excuse not to meet up with victims.

In just one scam, targeting victims in the U.S. states of Colorado and Wyoming, some 200 victims were fleeced of more than a combined $32 million.

“The criminals spend hours honing their skills, relying on well-rehearsed scripts that have been used repeatedly and successfully, and sometimes keep journals on their victims to better understand how to manipulate and exploit them,” the FBI said in a press release about the crime ahead of Valentine's day last year.

“In some cases, victims may be recruited, unknowingly, to transfer money illegally on behalf of others,” it said.

Also last year, a major cyber crime ring, run by Nigerian nationals out of both Nigeria and the United States, was shut down by authorities. The group targeted the elderly and through fraud and deception stole as much as $2.5 million from them.

The FBI suggested several protective measures, such as using reverse images searches to confirm the identity of people using dating apps. Being wary of profiles which are “too perfect” or individuals that too quickly ask for the interaction to be continued via private messaging, as well as those who make every excuse to avoid meeting in person.

“If you haven’t met the person after a few months, for whatever reason, you have good reason to be suspicious,” the FBI said.

And most importantly, “never send money to anyone you have only communicated with online or by phone.”

https://www.occrp.org/en/daily/15953-fbi-americans-lost-1-billion-to-romance-scams-in-2021
https://www.occrp.org/en/daily/13214-europol-covid-19-causes-spike-in-cybercrime

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

NYC finally fired all public employees who didn't comply with the vaccine mandate after giving them 3 months of leave.

An insane 64% of the fired staff were teachers or public school employees.

The Housing Authority was the next largest group.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1493691858656149509

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FBI says that Americans lost $1.1 billion to online catfishing and romance scams in 2021.

That is a 71% increase from 2019 and Interpol, Europol, and the FBI say that the increasing ease with which regular people can get cryptocurrencies has made online scams and ransomware more profitable and popular than ever in the E.U and North America.

https://www.occrp.org/en/daily/15953-fbi-americans-lost-1-billion-to-romance-scams-in-2021
https://www.occrp.org/en/daily/13214-europol-covid-19-causes-spike-in-cybercrime

Crypto... Bad? That can't be right, please check your math and have this brochure.