Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

"Shintaro and Fluffy are two entirely different cats" is still my favourite 'reveal' in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 73: Juro Kurabe 7

Music: Head In The Clouds (Rikako Watanabe)

Let’s go home.

Consider Q-ta Shiba

(Shiba-kun’s not actually human. And not only that… He’s been manipulating my memories. It seems his goal is to turn me back into Juro Izumi.)

Consider Visitor from Another World

(Fuyusaka-san and I were the only ones who made it… We escaped to Sumire Bridge, 16 years into the past. These must be Shiba-kun’s memories… Or rather… the other Juro Izumi’s.)

You’re meeting up at the same place again?
Pretty much, yeah. See ya!
Bye!

Tomi leaves.

Miwako leaves as well. There’s now nothing left for us to do…

…But talk to the man of the hour.

What? Why the long face? Have another nightmare or somethin’?
Knock it off. I’m not stupid. I know I’m the only one who can see you.

Hmm… So it wasn’t fully wiped.

I guess mind-hacking has its limits.

Use Q-ta Shiba on Kyuta Shiba

48Q. QTA_CBA. I already told you. I’m an artificial personality.
That doesn’t mean anything to me.
……

I’m not watching it.

Use Juro Izumi on Kyuta Shiba

Why did you give me Juro Izumi’s memories? Are you trying to turn me back into him?

You were never meant to be this way in the first place.

We can’t have you causing a scene here. Your memory needs to be wiped clean.

Music: STAGNATION (Yoshimi Kudo)

And with that, Shiba disappears into nothing.

All we can do now is leave, I suppose.

And we immediately bump into Nenji!

Are you looking for someone, Ogata-kun?

Sure am. Tomi Kisaragi.

Unfortunately, we do not.

Can’t expect you to know.

Running won’t change a thing.

Music: Who D-Unit (Yoshimi Kudo)

Fuyusaka-san’s absent. What about Yakushiji?

We’ve got some new Thought Cloud options just for this. Let’s see…

Consider Megumi Yakushiji

(Is she really on my side? She wants to change me back into Juro Izumi. Can I trust her…?)

Consider Q-ta Shiba

(Shiba-kun’s not actually human. And not only that… He’s been manipulating my memories. It seems his goal is to turn me back into Juro Izumi. I wish this was all just a dream.)

They added a new line onto the end here for some reason.

Consider Iori Fuyusaka

(Fuyusaka-san’s out today. But I feel like… She might know something about all this.)

Consider Shu Amiguchi

(Maybe I could ask Amiguchi-kun. On the other hand… It’s getting late. He’s probably gone home already…)

Consider Ryoko Shinonome

(Shinonome-senpai… She knows about Juro Izumi for sure. I should go talk to her. Hopefully she’s at the nurse’s office.)

Please wake up.
Ngh…

I’m Juro Kurabe.
Kurabe…
Please help me.

What happened?

Use Q-ta Shiba on Ryoko Shinonome

Juro, Ryoko doesn’t know who that is.

He’s been messing with my memories… And replacing them with Juro Izumi’s.

Music: Cognitive Dissonance (Rikako Watanabe)

Izumi-kun’s…? That’s… odd. According to Morimura… His memories were lost for good.
Ms. Morimura? Our teacher? What does she have to do with this? I’m talking about Shiba-kun.
…Who is Shiba-kun?
Kyuta Shiba. He called himself “personality 48Q.” I’m the only one who can see him.
……

In any other game I’d be worried that Ryoko thinks Juro is out of his gourd right now.

I’m sorry… I don’t know anything about that.

Well… If Izumi-kun’s memories were transplanted into you… Does that mean you know about his past?
I saw it all in the form of dreams and movies.
What happened in them?

What were your dreams like?

Use Shootout Dream on Ryoko Shinonome

…Fuyusaka-san and I went back to the past. We bombed the facility that was said to be the source of it all… But the police caught us, and we ended up in a shootout.
With Iori Fuyusaka…? This is all news to me…

Use Terrible Dream on Ryoko Shinonome

I went around killing students, one by one. I wouldn’t let any of them get away. Among the dead… I saw people I knew… Like Fuyusaka-san… And Yakushiji.
Izumi-kun did that? It can’t be… There’s no way he would do such a thing.

Use Visitor from Another World on Ryoko Shinonome

Shiba-kun gives me memories on video tape.
Video tape…?

Somehow this is still the most insane part of this whole thing.

Fuyusaka-san told me they’re all real events from the future.
Like what?

I made it back.

So we’re back to these names, eh?

Music: Power Of Destruction (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

I arrived right in the middle of the invasion. Barely made it back in one piece. I don’t think the world had much of a chance.

Is that a flier from a movie theater?
Logs indicate it shut down sometime in the Heisei era. But at the time I visited, it was right there in Tsutsuji Ward.

And Sector 3 is in 2025. That’s another 40-year gap.
This machine only lets us travel to specific time periods… All of which are under attack by the invaders.
Why are they showing up in the past?
I have no idea…

We have no record of such an invasion occurring back then. If that’s the case, it’s inconsistent with history as we know it.
You’re right. It was just last year that we were invaded… The year 2104. That was the first and only time. If there were a kaiju attack prior to that, we would have known about it.
We must be dealing with a time paradox.

It could have caused reality to split into parallel universes.

I like how the characters are equally dumbfounded about this as I am and are throwing out equally harebrained theories. “I dunno, maybe the kaiju broke spacetime?”

We know that kaiju technology allows for time travel. It’s not hard to believe that would impact the future in some way.

While this device does appear to be a time machine… It may be premature to make such assumptions.

An earthquake…
A big one.
Something feels weird about it…

It’s reached zero.
Don’t tell me… This shaking is…
It’s time.

The very Earth’s crust is crumbling. This is an unprecedented disaster…
Several areas now report an elevation of below sea level… Is it sinking into the ocean?
At this rate, we’ll be going down too.
So this is what the countdown was for… It may not be possible to survive this. We have no choice… We must seek refuge in the past!
What?

Are you serious? If we do that… we might not ever come back.
And if we stay here, we die.

When it’s all set, I’ll join you. Please, get to the device.
All right. If you’re setting our destination coordinates… Let me suggest Sumire Bridge. Amidst the destruction I saw earlier, that bridge was still standing.

It’s not letting me select any sectors. I don’t understand… my commands aren’t working. I need to find a time it’ll let us travel to. Stay in the device.
Just hurry, okay?

I don’t know what year that is… But it’s the only destination we can access right now.

Music: A Cruel Thesis (Yoshimi Kudo)

…I can’t. It’s not letting me set a timer. I’ll need to operate it manually. Go on without me!

Music: Staring Into The Void (Yoshimi Kudo)

We’re in 2089 now. We traveled 16 years back in time.
I see… So that’s why. Look over there.

No wonder Century Tower isn’t there. It wasn’t built until 2100. It’ll be over ten years from now before it goes up again…
……

Let’s go. Tsukasa-kun… isn’t coming back.

Even the Shikishima State Building is missing…

You agree with me… Right?
……

Even your own mother wouldn’t recognize you. Our citizen ID won’t be valid here, either. We can’t purchase anything or use public services. The city may look familiar… But this is the world of 16 years ago. To us… it might as well be a foreign country. But we can’t go back. We have no choice but to figure something out.

The invasion’s going to happen again in 15 years. We need to warn everyone about it.
Will they even believe us?
All we can do is try. And if they don’t… We’ll take matters into our own hands. No one else knows what’s coming. It has to be us.

It should still be buried underground. If we can find it, then…
I get it now… We can save Okino-kun. All we need to do is travel through time again…
I can’t say it’s impossible. But if we’re ever going to do that… We need to make it through today. Let’s find ourselves some food and a place to sleep.
You’re right.
Shall we?
*nod*

Wait… was that the version of that scene that Juro mentioned to Iori? The one that’s inconsistent with the version of that scene we already saw, where Shu was there instead of Juro?

…Oh, my head hurts.

Living in society’s shadows.

Ryoko quickly backs away from Juro.

Juro approaches again, and Ryoko takes another step back.

Music: Ennui Vibes (Yoshimi Kudo)

It’s not one of your lost memories. If it involved rewinding time 16 years with Morimura… Then it must have been… him.
Who?

He’s gone back in time over and over again.
A time traveler? That’s crazy…

Dude, you brought up time travel with the flashback just now!

The memories you’ve been seeing are his.
But… his name is Juro Izumi. Does that mean he’s me from the future?
…No. It’s a different Juro Izumi.

Oh come ON!

One who came from a lost world…

Juro, personal space. Jeez.

I was told he’s incredibly dangerous…

My dreams are memories of a lost world? And Shiba-kun… is that world’s Juro Izumi?
That man has nothing but his consciousness left. He transferred himself into an android and fled.
His… consciousness?

Looks like Senpai isn’t feeling so good.

Man…

Stop this!
Oh, c’mon. Ryoko Shinonome’s a freakin’ weirdo.

Another lock, this time from Yuki’s story.

This latest chapter really threw a few wrinkles into this game’s conception of time travel, so we’re going to replace a pretty old mystery involving the discrepancy with the damage to the pillar in the Kurabe household with a broader mystery involving the myriad time travel shenanigans that are afoot, primarily: why are there no records of the kaiju invading the earlier time periods? Clearly there’s some manner of split in the timestream, but why?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Just when I think I have a handle of things :tinfoil:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Happy Landfill posted:

Just when I think I have a handle of things :tinfoil:

13sentinels.txt

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
This one was buck wild, considering what we know about some other stories. At this point, I don't know what is m assumptions and what is stated by the game, but from what I can tell, this part implies that Juro Izumi/Kyuta Shiba is Shu Amiguchi/Tetsuda Ida? Is that why Shiba keeps wanting to go to Shu's place to play video games and watch movies?

What does this mean about the actual, physical tapes that Juro is carrying around? Are they just blank, do they actually carry memories?

Are Shu and Ida the same person, or two people who've been inundated with the same memories? I mean, adult Ida looks different from Adult Shu?

Is Kyuta the AI construct that pretended to be Tomi? Is it Fluffy?

What is going on?????

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I'm slowly approaching the point where I need to reread the entire LP from update 1 to regain any understanding of the story . For a while I had a very elegant theory that there is, in fact, no time travel involved whatsoever, all transportation is solely spatial, and each "sector" is, in fact ,a separate recreation of the same city across different time periods. I'm still not sure what this update means for that theory.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I don't think we can discard the whole thing based on one scene. There's a ton of unreliable narrator syndrome going on, either from a limited understanding of what's going on, deliberate obfuscation by the person doing the telling or by other persons interfering with the memories of the speaker. Right now that theory still feels like the cleanest explanation, but with so many remaining mysteries remaining who knows, honestly? This might be a lie; this might also be something that can be explained away later; it could also be that the truth is even wilder.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Aumanor posted:

I'm slowly approaching the point where I need to reread the entire LP from update 1 to regain any understanding of the story . For a while I had a very elegant theory that there is, in fact, no time travel involved whatsoever, all transportation is solely spatial, and each "sector" is, in fact ,a separate recreation of the same city across different time periods. I'm still not sure what this update means for that theory.

:same:

I'm going to have to take it all in once its in archives. Even just trying to keep track of who the first version of all the characters are is getting tricky.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you need a refresher on anything, I updated the summary in the second post again just now.

I'm also definitely planning a series of "decompression" updates once we get to the end that will be just deciphering different elements of the plot.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is the most difficult part of the game when everything you thought was being built up starts collapsing around your ears whilst all you can do is desperately keep on climbing up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 74: Tomi Kisaragi 6

Music: STAGNATION (Yoshimi Kudo)

Usami-chan…

In a word, yes, but…
She ran off somewhere near the school. Guy named Sekigahara’s lookin’ for her right now.
Who’s that?
The only other guy we’ve seen here besides us.

But let’s hurry.
Hold on.

To 1985?
*nod*

We came here to get you. You ready?
Y-Yeah.

Use Sakura High School on Nenji Ogata

Let’s head to the school.

Really!?

That’s weird. Wasn’t there more than one android here?
Now that you mention it, yeah…

Well, I’m sure that won’t be important in, oh, about five seconds…

Music: Bleak Pressure (Kikuchi Yukinori)

So you still don’t remember. They’re taking advantage of your hazy memory.
Stop this! Get him. 426… Your time is up.

We need to go after her. If she seals off the gate, it’s all over.

That guy just now… Are you sure he’s safe to be around? He has a gun…
…… We don’t have much of a choice.

Identified evidence of activity. A human likely utilized a crane to descend.
Sounds like Ryoko-san’s gone ahead. Secure the crane. Don’t let her lock it up.

Isn’t it really deep?
300 meters. That quadruped’s got a crane equipped.
A crane? That *does* sound like construction equipment.
We’ll use it like an elevator. It’ll take us all the way to the bottom.

Music: The Tower of Knowledge (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

You gonna be okay?
I’m not good with heights… I didn’t realize just how deep it was until we were right there… I thought I was going to die.

The same kinda gadgets we saw in that dead kaiju. They’re all over the drat place. Almost like we’re in the belly of the boss.

The way we came in is completely dark. I never want to do that again…
Don’t worry! We’ll be home soon.

Let’s see if Ei has managed to calm Ryoko down.

You recognize me?
Why… am I here? Why are *you* here?
Looks like you got some memories back. Do you have your pills?
Not anymore… I’m all out.

We need to get back to 1985.

She will be. I was worried for a moment, but she seems to be fine for now.
What happened to her? Is she ill?
An incident occurred during our fight in the Sentinels. From that point on, we began having memory issues. Unfortunately, someone’s been taking advantage of that. Her condition is far more serious than mine. She can’t prevent it. In any case, looks like we can travel to 1985 without issue. It’ll be ready soon. Just wait here for a moment.

From somewhere offscreen, a strange electronic pulsing sound can be heard…

She’s the reason we’re able to use it at all. This functionality was her handiwork.

Tomi, of course, immediately decides to touch the strange pulsing light hovering in midair. As one does.

This… num…

Please respond…

*gasp*

Music: Who D-Unit (Yoshimi Kudo)

No. 16? That’s the one who’s been missing. Is everything okay?
I finally got through…

My current location is unknown. My Sentinel… and even myself… I don’t know what condition we’re in.

The transmission abruptly cuts off.

*gasp*

The light returns and continues to pulse.

…Went completely off the radar after that incident I mentioned. What did you do? How did you make contact?

Didn’t it kinda sound like you?
You think so?

Did you call that person “Kisaragi”?
Kisaragi is… The control system for Sentinel No. 16.
Why do we have the same name?
Because… she is you. Rather… A different you.
…?
I get it now. Tomi Kisaragi… It’s your biometric ID.
The line of communication opened due to her ID being authenticated.

Huh?

Well, let’s just touch this weird light again…

……
If you’re there, answer us.

The answer is troubling.
Oh?
I’m… outside the world.
What does that mean?
This place is not recognized in any era. This is bad… I’m being denied access to all sectors. It’s Universal Control… It’s trying to get rid of me. At this rate, I’ll—

The transmission cuts off once more. And if we touch the light again…

Zip.

Universal Control. It’s here. Where the primary gate is housed. This underground mainframe monitors the world.
Her location… It appears the mainframe does not want us to know.
Looks that way.

Music: Metal Demon (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

Well, poo poo.

Sweet!

Uh oh.

I’ll be damned. We really made it back.

Use Miwako Sawatari on Nenji Ogata

What!? Wasn’t she right next to you?

Let’s go back!

Music: Emotional Storm (Yoshimi Kudo)

We’re all managed by that computer underground. Isn’t that right, Ei-kun?

To make sure no one impacts this world… To make sure no one finds out the truth… Universal Control pulls the strings. Behind the scenes, it handles our lives as it sees fit.

I can’t believe Universal Control kllled Miwako because it knew she’d never stop slinging that hot goss :(

And we’ve got another block before the next Tomi segment! I think we’ve only got, like, five people available right now, honestly.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Doesn't Miwako know as much as the others? I guess we know she's not a sentinel pilot, so only the MCs are allowed to know?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
#JusticeForMiwako

Also the idea that Nenji reads Dorothy Parker makes me happier than I can possibly describe

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Other Kisaragi did too many backwards long jumps in #16 and clipped outside the world. RIP.
I imagine "outside the world" is where Miwako got dumped too.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Miwako :(

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Nice lampshade hanging with pointing out that big robots would be basically useless the moment they fell on ground.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 75: Keitaro Miura 6

Music: LONER (Azusa Chiba)

We’ve got a lot of thoughts to consider at the moment, so let’s jump right in.

Consider Renya Gouto

(Renya Gouto… He’s the one who took Chihiro from me. He might be the same guy that Tamao-san gets her pills from.)

Consider Natsuno Minami

(According to Natsuno-san… a boy named Renya Gouto attends school in this era. He can apparently travel through time, too. And BJ said he’s from 80 years in the future.)

Consider 1985

(Back in 1945, everyone mysteriously vanished. But here in 1985, 40 years later… there’s no historical evidence or impact from that event. It reminds me of a concept I read about in a science book. The idea of two similar, parallel worlds…)

Consider Time Travel

(According to the history of this era… it has indeed been 40 years. But this era doesn’t seem to be based on the era I’m from. The two aren’t connected. Perhaps this isn’t really time travel after all…)

Consider Chihiro

(Renya Gouto… He’s the one who took Chihiro from me. If he’s in 1985… then Chihiro will be with him.)

Consider Sentinel

(Even if I do bring the Sentinel back home… How can I bring myself to fight? The ones I swore to protect are gone…)

No need to carry a lantern around.

Consider Renya Gouto

After Consider-ing “Natsuno Minami,” we can Consider “Renya Gouto” once more to progress.

(Could he be at the school? I don’t care what it takes. I’m going to find him. And I’m going to get Chihiro back.)

Hey, Shintaro.

Bye, Shintaro.

Consider Renya Gouto

(Renya Gouto is Natsuno-san’s senpai. He also attends the school in 1985. And according to BJ… he’s from even further into the future.)

Natsuno-san…

Music: BUDDIES (Azusa Chiba)

I was just about to go looking for you.
Same here. I’ve been worried about you, Miura-kun…

I can’t even imagine how you must be feeling. …You okay?

Use Renya Gouto on Natsuno Minami

In fact, I came here to find Renya Gouto. But I have no idea what he looks like or how he dresses.

Miura, you ran into a teenage boy carting around a girl who looks exactly like Chihiro a couple of days ago. Put two and two together here, man.

Could you point him out to me?
That might be a little tough… Gouto-senpai hasn’t been back on campus. I asked around, and no teacher knows where he lives.
Well… That’s a problem.
……

MIWAKO

Miwako!

That’s what I said!

Done with practice already?
Oh!

The one you took when he wasn’t looking?
H-Hey!

Miwako, that’s an invasion of privacy! For shame! I forgive you, though.

Sorry, sorry. So do you have it?
Yeah…

Miura-kun! Look, I’ve got a picture of Gouto-senpai.

This here is Renya Gouto? The one with the glasses?
Yup, that’s him. Thanks, Miwako.
*nervous grunt of acknowledgement*

What’s going on between you and that guy?
Huh? Nothing’s going on… Just a normal, casual friendship.

Casual? You mean—
N-No. Not that…

What a dirty mind you have, Miwako.

Consider Renya Gouto

How could this be? The man I saw at the park was Renya Gouto. The bastard who kidnapped Chihiro…

And then Miura just ditches Natsuno and Miwako.

Music: Beyond the Memories (Rikako Watanabe)

…Isn’t it? Please say something.

Okay, that’s enough cardio for today.

Use Stuffed Rabbit

I meant to give it back to you earlier…
……
This is your favorite stuffed animal, isn’t it?

Don’t lose it again, all right?

I’m so relieved you’re safe.
……

Buh?????

Music: Hard Pill to Swallow (Kikuchi Yukinori)

…Morimura?

Sometimes, a bold change in plans is necessary. You’d know that better than anyone. Wouldn’t you, Gouto-kun?

Renya Gouto… What the hell did you do to Chihiro?
*sigh*

But what you see here is Chihiro in her original state. She was never your little sister to begin with.
Shut up… I’m not listening to a word you say. I won’t forgive you… and I will avenge Tamao-san.
…I believe you misunderstand the situation.

Listen to your big brother, and come with me. We’re going.

…We need to prioritize gaining control over all systems. You’ve always been the dependable type. You used to be an excellent design engineer.
What are you talking about?
“I’ll always be on your side, Chihiro.” That’s what you told me, remember? So please, cooperate.
……
*sigh* Is everything prepared, Gouto-kun?
All ready.
Good… Then I shouldn’t waste any more time. Let’s hurry.

…… *shakes head*

Chihiro is coming with me.

And I highly doubt you have the capacity to protect her.
What…? Who would—

…Let me know.

God, what a smug prick Gouto is.

Consider Chihiro

(What’s happened to her…? Chihiro… Morimura? She’s the original Chihiro? Is there no going back to the way she used to be? …… Chihiro…)

Consider Ei Sekigahara

(Sekigahara… Did he travel through time, too? Is that how he got here?)

How are things looking?
They’re searching for Kiriko-san.
I can’t believe she’s a spy…
They seem to think she’s associated with him. He must’ve dragged her into this. I just don’t understand… Why protect a wanted man?
……

Music: Deafening Silence (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

Her name isn’t Kiriko Douji. And she doesn’t come from this world.

I don’t get it… What could she want with the Sentinel?

You really are a spy.
If she were to try and escape… she’d likely use the gate. If we leave now, we might be able to catch up with her.
Sekigahara-san. Please… I have to know the truth. I was told that my parents… aren’t really my parents. And that… I was brought here from the future.
Is that what Kiriko Douji told you?
I don’t know why she’d lie. But… I think that explains the dreams I keep having.
She’s tampered with your memories.
……

Don’t listen to a word he says, Tamao-san. We should just turn him in.
Keitaro-san, please. I don’t want it to come to that.
…Keitaro?

…How the hell do you know my name?

What are you on about now?
You and I have been fighting alongside each other.
I’ve never seen you before in my life.
The Miura of this era hasn’t. The Miura of the future has.
The future?
Yes. He no longer has his physical body. His consciousness is currently stored inside a scout unit.
Then Keitaro-san is…
One and the same.
…I’ve had enough of this nonsense.

Sekigahara-san!
You bastard…
Like you said, I’m out of my mind. Poison is coursing through my brain as we speak.

We’re going to need to progress Natsuno further to see Miura’s next scene. Coincidentally, this is the same scene that locks off Ei’s next event.

And some more Mystery File updates.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 31, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

waiting on tenterhooks for Miwako's alien overlord reveal

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Hwurmp posted:

waiting on tenterhooks for Miwako's alien overlord reveal

she's more likely an unwitting pawn sent in by the true mastermind, to spy on the gang and map out a yarngraph to figure out wtf their own secret plot is even supposed to be, but instead floods the corkboard with inane relationship drama

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean it seems like the pairs are pretty telegraphed so far?

Juro x Megumi
Iori x Ei
Natsuno x Keitaro
Shu x Yuki
Takatoshi x Tsukasa
and Tomi x Nenji

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 76: Nenji Ogata 7

Back to Nenji!

Music: The Plot Thickens (Rikako Watanabe)

Maybe you’ve got a point. I should slow down and think a little…

I finally found this drat key… What’s gonna happen to Minami if I snitch on her?

Consider Natsuno Minami

(Minami’s got the key… But if I let Okino know, I’d be throwin’ her under the bus. …… That Izumi guy… He said he’d handle it. Can I even trust him?)

Consider League of Darkness

(So that guy Izumi… He’s Juro Kurabe from another world…? If that’s really true… That League of Darkness lady’s gotta be a Fuyusaka from another world. When I was a kid, she did somethin’ to my key… I remember now. She said something about the Sentinels… Probably talkin’ about that robot I saw in the future ruins…)

Consider Key

(So the one who has the key… They’re the one callin’ these monsters out. Even if they don’t want to. Never thought Minami would have it…)

I didn’t… I didn’t cross a line, did I?

Could you not ignore me?

Use The Attack on Tomi Kisaragi

If you knew the world was gonna end in a couple minutes… How would you spend ‘em?

……

Well… I can’t really get anywhere in a few minutes…

:3:

Well, too bad, you're not going to spend them with Nenji, because he's about to ditch you.

Okay, the first train’s gonna be Fuyusaka and…

Iori, your place isn’t this way, right? Where you going?
I’ve just got a thing over in Tsutsuji…

Tomi’s distracted, let’s go bug Juro.

Huh. That’s weird. Seems like plain old Kurabe again…

Someone was just looking for you…

Who’s this from?
Izumi, I think he said…?

Consider Izumi’s Message

(“Tsutsuji-Bound Semi-Express departing at 5:12, first car…” Who is this guy…? What’s his angle? Lessee, the 5:12… That’s the third train. The one Kisaragi gets on. And the first car…)

I have to go…

Ryoko gets on her train.

I’m gonna go…

Sorry, Tomi, but we gotta jet.

……
You even listenin’?

(Geez… If I get on the train now, is it even gonna change anything…?)

Well, let’s follow Megumi, I guess…

Music: Ennui Vibes (Yoshimi Kudo)

Now you’re messin’ with me too? You’re from Minami’s class… You another of Okino’s goons?
Okino? I don’t know who that is.
Then why are you here?
I was told to come here so I could save Nenji Ogata.
You’re here to save me…?
But Nenji Ogata’s right here. So… why are you appearing on this screen?
That’s like… a version of me inside my own head.
So… I just need to pull this thing off your head?
Hey, hey, don’t do that! They said if it gets forced off, I might never wake up again. Geez… Call the police, I guess?
My contact wants to keep this discreet.
Okay, then call your contact! Get them to do something!
Well, he’s a cat, so… His options are limited.

Ha!

He’s a what?
He’s a talking cat who’s here to save the world.
What the poo poo are you talking about? Look, you see any kinda… I dunno, a power button?
None here.
Well, what *do* you see?
A button that says “reinitialize.”
Okay, don’t touch that. Probably dumps me back at the station.
Something here about a restriction?
Maybe that’s it. You think you can turn that restriction off?
I can try.
How’s it lookin’?
Hold on, still checking…
…… Hey, you talked about saving the world… You mean from the kaiju, right?
Right.
So… all that stuff I saw on the train… It really could happen.
If you could fight back… Would you?
Hell yeah I would.
Then…

Really? Okay… now we’re gettin’ somewhere… Now try pressin’ that reinitialize thing.

And Nenji is now locked until we do Destruction Wave 2-5. Currently, our plot blocks are:

Nenji and Natsuno: Destruction 2-5
Shu and Tomi: Destruction 2-10
Ei and Miura: Natsuno, “A Missing Memory”
Megumi: Juro Kurabe, “Juro Kurabe”
Juro: Yuki, “A Conscious Criminal”
Hijiyama: 80% story progress for 8 protagonists
Gouto: 80% story progress for 12 protagonists

And that just leaves Yuki, Iori, and Ryoko available at the moment.

We make two minor changes to the board here. First, we link Megumi and Nenji because she is all-but-stated to have shot him in that last scene. To facilitate that, we move “Kiriko Douji” slightly because it was in the way in its original position.

And here’s the full board.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 31, 2022

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Well... At least time she sort of asked before shooting someone, so... progress, I guess?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
And people hate Megumi...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Music: Voyage To Tomorrow (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

Chapter 77: Destruction 8

Let’s go do some Destruction, seeing as a bunch of our protagonists are currently locked behind it.

We need Nenji, eh?

We start our upgrading by maxing out the Meta-System, then getting the final level of the Meta-Chip Multiplier, increasing it to x2.

We increase Shu and Juro’s Neurolink to +2.

We also get Megumi’s Interceptors to +3, adding one drone to her output.

This should be a fine team.

Music: (ISOLEUCINE) (Yoshimi Kudo)

I’m now imagining Gilgamesh with a big fuckin’ pompadour, and folks? It’s very funny.

Oh yeah! When we threw down with those Kuri High punks in middle school? Kind of went south when someone called the cops on us. And we all had to jump in the river to get away…
Sure, but that was after we knocked 20 of those chumps on their asses! Got the same kinda feeling seein’ these clowns, is all. Square up, strap in, kick rear end.

This comin’ from the leader of the Suzu High girls?

Eh, Ogata’s fine. He got up in my face like that when we first met, and now we’re cool. Let’s go.

Video: Destruction Wave 2-4 (Please watch this, I worked very hard on it)

Instead of recapping this fight via screenshots, I’m going to try something new and do it via subtitles on the fight video itself. This might be a total disaster, but whatever, I’m down to try, at least.

And we’re done there.

Any units equipped with EMPs should fire at will. That electromagnetic pulse will slow them down.

Way ahead of you, bro.

It’s a tool made for localized operations. The EMP pulse is generated from the attached plasma dome.

Each Sentinel automatically shields itself when it detects an allied mech firing an EMP. The enemies need a moment to bring their systems back online. It’s a temporary effect, but it can still buy us some time.

Natsuno’s Research Notebook skill increases all her stats while she’s active on a stage already cleared with an S-Rank. Weird and situational, but okay.

Music: Voyage To Tomorrow (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

For this wave, we need Gouto and can only field four pilots. Only four pilots for a boss wave? Yikes.

We upgrade Gouto’s Arm-Mounted Pulse Lasers from +0 to +3, his Multi-Lock Missiles from +2 to +3, his Shield Matrix from +0 to +3. and his Interceptors from +3 to +5.

We buy Guardian and Shield Emitter for Iori and upgrade both to +2.

We increase Natsuno’s Neurolink to +2.

We increase Ei’s Demolisher Blade from +4 to +5, his Anti-Air Defensive Flares from +1 to +3, and his EMP Surrounding from +1 to +3.

Also, if I’m being honest? Can’t remember ever buying and upgrading Limiter Removal for Ei for the life of me.

We also increase Ei’s Neurolink to +2. That’s every pilot at +2 now.

All right, let’s try this team.

Music: [RIBOSE] (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

So they were seized and repurposed?
Repurposed… Well. It may be more accurate to say they were reset. When we attempted to deploy automated Sentinels… they behaved as if they were Deimos. During the battle at Sector 2, units 1 to 11 were being remotely controlled by me.
You piloted 11 units by yourself? At the same time?
It wasn’t efficient.

No kidding!

And the D-forces were clearly influencing their processes and abilities.
And that’s why we directly control them now. Too many problems with automation…
I’d though they were destroyed in that battle…

…Juro, what do you mean by that?
Look, they’re coming… They seem like pretty heavy units. And they’ve even got the composite ceramic armor.
So they’re close-quarters Deimos frontliners now… If we don’t shut them down, the terminal won’t last…

Oh boy, this should be interesting.

Seven!?

Video: Destruction Wave 2-5 (Again, I worked very hard on this.)

One thing I wish I could have included in the subtitles was Natsuno doing sick railgun snipes on enemy Sentinels that are leaping through the air, but there wasn’t a good point to do it.

Whew, that was somewhat trying.

These Sentinels’ ID codes were all 3 digits… They were newly created as Deimos units.
They were the same type at the No. 12 I pilot…
…Ida-san was the one who put the 1st-gens together. I just helped out. The auxiliary stuff was from my design… like the EMPs and the anti-air flares… But these things were never meant to have a direct pilot. The original spec had them all automated.
Explains why the enemy got ahold of them…
That also means it’s got a more unstable connection to its pilot. We had to put a limiter on its functions.
So its true power is being restrained…? What would happen if that limiter came off?
You’ll get a huge boost to maneuverability, but… it’ll put an incredible strain on the pilot, too.
A small price for new power, and nothing a true son of Japan can’t handle. Sounds like it might have its advantages, anyway. I’ll have to let Sekigahara and Ogata know.

Iori’s We’ll Be Okay skill slightly increases the HP of Iori and all allies after she defends.

Ah, gently caress. Well, looks like I’ll be redoing this one offscreen.

Now that we’ve unlocked Nenji and Natsuno’s next chapters, we should go look through all the Mystery Files that have been unlocked., and unlock some new ones with our Mystery Points while we’re at it.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 18, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

For those of you who care enough to watch the videos I added: First, thank you. Second, I've never done subtitled commentary before so it might be formatted in an awkward way, sorry! Just say so and I'll work on that in the future. My workflow for those is a nightmare so I probably need to change my approach anyway.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 78: Natsuno Minami 6

Where’d he go?

Consider Aliens

(I saw a log made by me, but from 2188. In it, I spoke about a project capable of creating humans on another planet. And according to BJ… This is that planet. And we are those creations. But the log alone doesn’t leave me entirely convinced.)

Consider Sentinel No. 17

(There’s something else about Sentinel No. 17. There are logs from 2188 hidden inside it. If I can find this Sentinel… Then I can find out once and for all if these aliens are real.)

Consider BJ

(Turns out he wasn’t an alien. He was actually a futuristic robot made by a Japanese company.)

Consider Man in Black Suit

(The agents continue to lurk around the school. They gotta be searching for something. And I think I know. I’m almost sure of it. They still think BJ is an alien.)

Girl, come the gently caress on

BJ immediately jumps out of the locker!

Music: BUDDIES (Azusa Chiba)

You actually stayed hidden this time.
……

Use Aliens on BJ

That we’re the ones who’re aliens. That this is a different planet… I… find that hard to believe.
…… Okay.

Use BJ on BJ

What kind of robot are you, anyway?
…… I am an AI. One integrated into a Sentinel. There was an incident. I had to transfer myself into this drone.
So when Miura-kun called you a… A piece of Sentinel technology… He wasn’t wrong, then.

Use Sentinel No. 17 on BJ

There’s more than one, isn’t there? The video logs from 2188…
Sentinel No. 17’s memory cell. It contains all of the logs.
Now that I’ve seen one… I need to know the truth. So I’m gonna be taggin’ along.

Natsuno…

Use P. E. Bag on BJ

Let’s go find it, little guy.

Now, to just covertly leave the premises…

poo poo

I, uhh… Listen, I’d really appreciate it if…
If I didn’t tell Senpai?

Well, the thing is… There’s something I reeeally gotta do, so…
You first-years are such slackers.

Natsuno, you made a commitment. You should have considered the looming kaiju invasion before you joined up.

And now I gotta deal with our track room getting trashed. Ugh.
M-Maybe a stray cat got in?
No. Someone broke the lock in the middle of the night.
I wonder… Were those men in black looking for BJ?
Here you go with your nonsense again.

If you’re wondering why I’m picking these options from the bottom up, it’s because I already know which one leads to progress!

It wasn’t there either.

No Sentinel found.

No. 8 was there. But we couldn’t find No. 17…

Where could No. 17 be?
Let’s go to Sector 1.
You wanna look there again? What year is it in Sector 1 anyways?
The 22nd century?

You said this place is underground, right?

Highly contaminated with toxic levels of radiation. The environment is too inhospitable for us.
Seriously!?

It was the government’s last-ditch effort after the city was destroyed.
…And we *still* couldn’t beat them?
There were too many of them. This underground facility is the last place of refuge. Nowhere else is safe.
……

Wow, I bet this game’s background artists sure were glad that Sector 1 coincidentally consists of exactly one room!

I’m searching for… memories.
…Like your own memories?
After I ran a self-diagnosis on this drone… I discovered my memories were fragmented and inconsistent. 72% of them have been deleted. They’ve been tampered with twice, possibly more…
By who?
Unknown. Though in all likelihood… the memory of the Sentinel’s location was deleted then.

…Is this era’s largest quantum computer. If anyone were to store memories here… they would be at least 300 meters bel—

Someone just shifted to the hangar. They’re coming this way.
Ah! What do we do? Who are they?
They erased every last trace from the system…

Great hiding spot, Natsuno. Perfect.

Hard to say. I need more information. This D-Code is… problematic. It attaches to the part of the brain where memories are stored. It must be physically severed to be removed. The damage this procedure does to the brain… is lethal.
That program, the one that severs the code… That’s what’s infecting the Sentinels.
Right, Sentinels… I wasn’t aware that control over the automated factories could be partially adjusted. You did well to discover that detail.

Hm? Have you forgotten? We’ve restarted twice since the world ended…

The shifting range isn’t just limited to residential zones. Sector 0 makes that possible. In any case, we don’t have much time. …Where did you get all this information from?
…… …From the computer in the underground UFO.

Is that what you’ve been calling it these days? Well, can we go there?
…… Yes, we can… You *are* the one who made it possible, after all. Have you really forgottten?

Calm down, Natsuno.
Man, if you didn’t stop me… I totally would’ve jumped out at them.

Consider Gouto-senpai

(I saw Gouto-senpai in the past. I guess he’s able to time travel, too…)

Consider Chihiro-chan

(She was dressed like a kindergartener… That was Chihiro-chan, right? Miura-kun’s little sister? She didn’t seem like she was unhappy to be there. And there was something… different about her. Gouto-senpai was talking to her like she was a scientist…)

Never get tired of walking around with the :thunk: thing going on.

BJ…

Music: Deafening Silence (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

I’ve located it. It was in the access log’s history. My memories really were stored here after all.
Really?
Apparently… I predicted all of this… somehow…

What is it?
I’m unable to locate the memory data. They’re stored in the cache somewhere. But they appear to be hidden.

Can’t you do a quick search of it or something?

I know you’re from 1985, Natsuno, but here’s a tip from 2022: Windows’ file search function barely works, we’re gonna need a better plan.

After a preliminary scan of the cache… 9.216 million data units were found. If I were to trace every unit… I’d need about 80 days.

Something to identify the data unit…
Identify? What do you mean?
Each unit is a three-dimensional construct. Their coordinates consist of two alphabetical letters… as well as two numerical values.

Two letters, huh…?

Two letters and two numbers… Why is that familiar…? Oh, wait. Duh.

Use BJ on BJ

…I just assumed “BJ” was your name. But maybe…
BJ… That’s the name you gave me.

…I have no logs of this exchange.
Wait, let me think… Yeah… It was something like…

Music: RESOLUTION (Kazuki Higashihara)

Yes. I’ve located it.

drat girl, you’ve got a good memory.

All right! And? And?
Sentinel No. 17… I know its location…
So? Where is it?

Yes, in an artificial satellite orbiting the planet.
Orbit? Like… in space?

Where? To space?
To the place Renya Gouto mentioned… The “UFO.”

Well, that was productive. We’ve finally found Sentinel No. 17. Now, we just need to actually… get to it.

We’ve unlocked Ei and Miura’s next chapters as well.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

We're going to spaaaaceeeee

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I really enjoyed the subtitled videos, thank you for putting those together! The combat in this game isn't especially strategic on most difficulties, but it's fun and frenetic. Is there a reason you're not using the terminal's defensive abilities (EMP, etc.)?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Podima posted:

I really enjoyed the subtitled videos, thank you for putting those together! The combat in this game isn't especially strategic on most difficulties, but it's fun and frenetic. Is there a reason you're not using the terminal's defensive abilities (EMP, etc.)?

A weird part of me kind of views them as "cheating" but that's a completely irrational impulse, they're there to be used. I just haven't invested much in them because I've been prioritizing abilities.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, if nothing else the game wants you to be hitting the big global EMP when you're getting swarmed.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Okay, so this update certainly clarifies some things, and yet it makes establishing the chronology even harder. I'm not even halfway through my reread and with this reveal it might be back to the drawing board for me, but here's a half-assed post to help me organise the information. What we know is that we're hundreds of years in the future, on another planet, terraformed using the machines now known as Deimos in a project. There are five sectors (plus sector 0, whatever it is), each simultaneously recreating the same Japanese city in five different time periods, 40 years "apart", populated by clones of humans from hundreds of years ago. In particular, some (all?) of the main cast are clones of people involved in the terraforming project. Travel between the sectors is possible using advanced translocation technology. The whole project can be "reset" in some way, restarting all sectors either x years back or just at a specific date (I don't remember what year we've seen the teenage Ida and Morimura land in), apparently used in response to the Deimos winning. Speaking of Deimos- they seem to regularily appear around the year 1984/5 + n*40, seemingly going in order 2104->2064->2025->1945->2025, at least in this iteration. And it is possible for people from one loop to make it to the next one.

The two main questions I have at this point is how exactly does the reset work and how many "loops" have we seen so far. Is the present Morimura (the one Ei seemingly killed) the same one that we've seen meet Ida on the Sumire Bridge? Is that Ida the same one giving Yuki her marching orders and/or the one Sekigahara made his deal with? Why are the people cloned from the same templates as them named Iori Fuyusaka and Shu Amiguchi in this loop when they "kept" the same name in at least two different loops? Did the three teenagers we've seen the adult Izumi shoot survive (because if not we're looking at at least five relevant "loops")?

Wow, this post is a complete mess

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Aumanor posted:

Okay, so this update certainly clarifies some things, and yet it makes establishing the chronology even harder. I'm not even halfway through my reread and with this reveal it might be back to the drawing board for me, but here's a half-assed post to help me organise the information. What we know is that we're hundreds of years in the future, on another planet, terraformed using the machines now known as Deimos in a project. There are five sectors (plus sector 0, whatever it is), each simultaneously recreating the same Japanese city in five different time periods, 40 years "apart", populated by clones of humans from hundreds of years ago. In particular, some (all?) of the main cast are clones of people involved in the terraforming project. Travel between the sectors is possible using advanced translocation technology. The whole project can be "reset" in some way, restarting all sectors either x years back or just at a specific date (I don't remember what year we've seen the teenage Ida and Morimura land in), apparently used in response to the Deimos winning. Speaking of Deimos- they seem to regularily appear around the year 1984/5 + n*40, seemingly going in order 2104->2064->2025->1945->2025, at least in this iteration. And it is possible for people from one loop to make it to the next one.

The two main questions I have at this point is how exactly does the reset work and how many "loops" have we seen so far. Is the present Morimura (the one Ei seemingly killed) the same one that we've seen meet Ida on the Sumire Bridge? Is that Ida the same one giving Yuki her marching orders and/or the one Sekigahara made his deal with? Why are the people cloned from the same templates as them named Iori Fuyusaka and Shu Amiguchi in this loop when they "kept" the same name in at least two different loops? Did the three teenagers we've seen the adult Izumi shoot survive (because if not we're looking at at least five relevant "loops")?

Wow, this post is a complete mess

I think you've got this all mostly correct from information provided so far.
The scene selector you can access from the menu does actually put everything in chronological order, and I think this also includes the 'flashbacks' so it can be a little clearer if you're the one actually playing the game but this is almost impossible to convey in an LP. You can actually 'track' individual characters from the start of their chronology (at least for the playable characters - I don't know if you can do it for someone like Ida).

edit: info beyond this point removed

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 15, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm gonna ask that people who've played this game avoid confirming any guesses that haven't been made explicit yet, sorry

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

13 Sentinels is getting a Switch release :woop:

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1493600997200973824?s=20&t=G5RzTX2dBRchfQu8Y2_Aeg

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
It's an amazing game and should definitely played with as little foreknowledge as possible, other than the beginning can be pretty rough.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 79: Ryoko Shinonome 6

Music: Just Because (Composer: Azusa Chiba, Arranger: Rikako Watanabe)

Yeah yeah, we’ve been through this. Let’s just Consider our new thoughts and bounce.

Consider Ei Sekigahara

(Ei Sekigahara… Ei-kun is a year younger than me. And a childhood friend. How could I think he was the culprit?)

Consider 426

(If Ei Sekigahara isn’t 426… Then who’s the one who messed with the Sentinels?)

Time to jet.

For once, we’re not actually going to distract Gouto so we can flee from him, because while there’s still one scene we need to see down that path, its triggers are not all active yet.

The scene we need to unlock that one requires us to first talk to Megumi again.

Do about what…?
You know, your… condition.

And Megumi heads into the classroom.

This has triggered something else further down the hall, namely…

Juro.

Ooh, it is.
Ugh, he’s so hot.
Student council elections are coming up…
He’s running for president, right?
Really? That’s amazing.
Smart and handsome…
Everything a girl could want.

Shame about his personality. Also, wait, why’s he bothering with student council elections when the world is about to end?

I’m relieved.

What?
I’ve already asked you to stop making fun of me. I’m Kurabe. Juro Kurabe.

Considering that pretty much everyone in school seems to be aware that Ryoko’s got some serious medical issues that impair her memory, you should probably be a little more understanding, Juro.

Apologies, Kurabe. You can go ahead.

My head… It hurts…

Ryoko’s head is pounding.

Consider Pills

(This should make me feel a little better.)

Consider Juro Kurabe

(Kurabe? But he’s Izumi-kun. I don’t understand… I bet Renya Gouto knows something about this.)

Use Juro Kurabe on Renya Gouto

Explain.
You have the wrong person.
That’s not possible. I wouldn’t mistake him for someone else.
*sigh* There are certain things you’re better off not knowing.
drat it, just tell me.
Juro Izumi doesn’t exist anymore. He’s Juro Kurabe now. His mind could not withstand the battle. He had to be turned into someone else. There is no chance of recovery.
……

My head… It hurts…

Ryoko’s head is pounding.

Consider Pills

(This should make me feel a little better.)

Consider Juro Izumi

Izumi-kun. He has the same symptoms as I do.

To my recollection, we never find out who these people Ryoko is searching for here are. She’s just close enough to them to call them by their first names with no honorifics. Siblings, maybe? Or friends?

A kaiju!?

Music: Lonely Struggle (Rikako Watanabe)

Where?

The drone spotted them 20 minutes ago. Going into that building. Can you not find them?

Looking over the wrong shoulder here, but I’ll allow it for clever reuse of this hologram portrait.

You’re Ryoko Shinonome-san, right?
Who are you…?
I’m Juro Izumi. And I need your help. We’re going to save the world. With that robot.

So… that was pretty uneventful. Maybe even the shortest update of this I’ve put out yet. To me, it seems like the most likely scenario for why that scene contains little-to-no pertinent information we didn’t pick up in like, Megumi’s first event back in the goddamn tutorial would be that they really wanted this scene. They probably put a lot of time and effort into the shot of the Sentinel punching a G-Moler depicted from inside this building, and by god they’re gonna use it, even if the scene itself ended up pretty vestigial. Maybe in an earlier draft of the story this contained more bits of story but they cut it, I simply do not know. Still a neat scene, nevertheless.

Ryoko is unlockable again because we’ve already done the relevant event from Shu’s story.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 16, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 80: Yuki Takamiya 6

What if she’s alone? Shivering, scared, in that ruined city… I won’t give up on her.

I’ve been looking for you.
……

Aiba, we come to the same spot every day.

Consider Ruined Future

(A city in ruins… And this one’s next. Is that what this place is gonna look like? I can’t even imagine…)

Consider Old School Building

(That guy I met inside the old school building. He’s on the run from those black suits. Name’s Sekigahara. He’ll be hiding out in one of the old classrooms for a while. Him and Miura. If I want to rescue Nat-chan… I’m gonna need their help.)

Consider The Box

(So the box I thought was a projector… Was actually a talking machine named Miura. And the stuff Nat-chan wrote in her notebook… She must have been talking about that. So it wasn’t just made up… I’m sorry for doubting you, Nat-chan.)

Consider Natsuno Minami

(We finally found out where Nat-chan is. She’s been left in the ruined future city. I may not be able to get to her yet… But I will save her.)

Let’s go.

Well, let’s get to investigating. Wait… investigating what? We know where Natsuno is now.

……

Let’s hassle Megumi for some clues again!

Really the only reason to do this is to be a piece of poo poo and cause Megumi to miss Juro’s departure again, but it’s very funny so I do it once more.

……

We make another quick stop at the cafeteria.

Nothing for me, thank you.

Yeah, of course you’re not thirsty. What’s the matter? Food and drink’ll gum up your gears?

Music: Feeling At Ease (Rikako Watanabe)

Amiguchi…

Oh goddammit this again

No thanks. I mean, really. How many times is it gonna take… for it to stick in that floppy-haired head of yours?
How about… Until you go on a date with me?

Aww.
See ya.

Oh, uh… Yeah.

I haven’t heard from you in some time. Where have you been? You need to check back in with me. Understood?
……

Consider Small Note

(Morimura gave this note to me. …… poo poo… She wants me to do something. And the first step is talking to Aiba.)

Come with me?
Certainly.

Yet another scene with lots of cars driving in the foreground, great.

Oh… Right.

Oh? What is it?

Use Erika Aiba on Erika Aiba

Went to pay someone a visit.
Who?

Music: Cognitive Dissonance (Rikako Watanabe)

……
The real Aiba has been sick. Confined to her hospital bed. And I overheard you talking to the school nurse, Morimura. She called you Tamao. Is Tamao your real name?

You’re right. My name is Tamao Kurabe. I harbored no malicious intent. Plus, a twist like this in the third act… It makes for a better detective story, don’t you think?

……

Use Tomi Kisaragi on Erika Aiba

We’re still calling her Aiba for some reason.

Yes… But why bring that up now?
There were two Tomi Kisaragis witnessed that day. And I recently found the second one.

Oh, Sekigahara.

Music: Track Down (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

W-What are you doing?

It’s a machine made to look like her. An android.

The android briefly sputters to life, but turns off just as quickly.

Data’s been corrupted, too. But before it was destroyed… The inside seems to have been replaced. Meaning he got away looking like someone else.

Juro Izumi. He’s a mass murderer. He may be without a body… But I know he’s plotting something.
……

*sigh*

He must have hidden it himself.
This place is behind the north school building. The girls’ bathroom… The other Tomi Kisaragi…

Weird, right? And it’s been bugging me all this time. Who this guy could have jumped into next… Know what I mean?

A robot destroyed the bathroom? Hmm. You think anyone will believe that?

Use Shikishima Industries on Erika Aiba

I just learned about them myself, actually. Had to sneak into the Shikishima facility to do it, but… They said someone close to me altered me somehow. Several times, in fact.
……
What’s the matter? Cat got your tongue? Because the only person who always seems to be around me…

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

You’re not even Tamao Kurabe. You are a fugitive. One that used a robot who looked like Kisaragi to escape. You are housing the consciousness of a mass murderer. A man by the name of Juro Izumi.

*giggle* You think I’m a man? Are you okay?
……

Music: Metal Demon (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

I suppose this time… I’ll have to erase quite a bit more.
Like hell you will. Look behind you.

I never thought I’d see you dressing up as a schoolgirl. You’re insane, Juro.
At least I’m more sane than you. Trying to save your own rear end by derailing the interstellar project.
I’m doing this for you *and* me. WE can make it out alive.

It’s not a sacrifice. They’ll be able to lead happier lives this way.
Even if it means they’re denied their future, without ever knowing why?
I have shot you here on Sumire Bridge once before. I have no hesitation as I do so again.

Stay back. It’s not dead yet.

Just what the hell were you doing to me!?
Getting you ready… Ready for the game that will soon begin.

I don’t have time to deal with nuisances like you.

Stop!

Morimura fires the phaser twice…

But Aiba—Izumi—clambers over the railing and falls.

Not even a body made of metal could survive unscathed.

We need to surround the perimeter.
Yes, ma’am.

We’ll look around where he fell.

Well, that was a trip. Not really an unexpected one at this point, but still, a trip.

Yuki is locked behind a Natsuno event now.

Juro, however, can now be unlocked.

And just to keep track of this, we have 3 of our protagonists at above 80% completion now. We need five more to unlock Hijiyama and nine more to unlock Gouto. We’re not actually that far away from these goals, though. We’re only one event away from 80% for pretty much everyone (except Hijiyama and Gouto, of course).

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't get the bit about "Not even a body of metal could survive a fall from that height". It's a metal android body falling into a river, even at like 50 feet, I can't imagine the impact of water on metal would be that bad on it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 81: Iori Fuyusaka 6

Time to return to Iori’s quest for love, I suppose.

Music: Bittersweet Sorrow (Composer: Azusa Chiba, Arranger: Kikuchi Yukinori)

She said she had some papers to deliver, right? To the art room, I think?
(depressedly) Yeah.
……

Iori, come on. You can’t sulk this hard over a guy you don’t know.

Huh? I-I’m fine.

Miwako did say she wanted to stop by the record store.
She wants that new idol album, right?

Sorry to keep you waiting!

I saw Natsuno-chan just now, but—

It’s because you were waiting on me… I’m sorry.

We couldn’t even get the record you wanted.
I can’t believe all three stores were sold out…

Presumably because they didn’t want to animate her carrying it home for the rest of this scene.

My dad’s a worrywart… Maybe I should call home.
There’s a phone booth over there.

Yeah.

Wow, he picked up quick! Didn’t even let it ring!

It’s me. Uh-huh. *hangs up*

Pretty much how I thought. He wants me to come home ASAP.
Figures. The train’s probably fastest.

Let’s head over to the train then.

Music: Bad Omen (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

It’s the bully from before.
I thought so.

I think it was last week… He was harassing us by the school gate.

Luckily, Nenji-kun stepped in and saved us…
*blushing* He… He did? Dang…
What now? Should we go around the other way?
That’d be best.

They’ve been hanging around our school lately.

Let’s jet.

Not the time for your lame pickup lines, old man! We’re standing in the middle of the street!

Um…

Uh-oh.
You may know me better as Onishi the Ogre.

Side note: the term “Onishi the Ogre” is definitely a translation of “Oni,” right? Maybe they put more emphasis on the “Oni” syllable in his name in Japanese? Like “Oni-shi”? Whatever, I just figured that out.

*distressed whispering* He’s gonna take us into custody.

Really appreciate that the game uses his full title here.

If you knew, why did you ask?

It’s 8 o’clock. What are you doing out at this hour?
Um… Well…
We were shopping for a record and it got dark before we knew it.
It’s true.

The reason doesn’t matter.
We’re sorry.
If it happens again, I’ll write you up. Now hurry on home.

Let’s make a break for the station.

Do or die.

Well, that didn’t work.

You’ve done it now…

Not helping, Tomi!

Come with me. I’ll show you a good time. I know the perfect place.

Don’t tell me. You’re up to no good again?

Clearly, my dude.

I haven’t done anything! …Yet.
Run along home. Or would you rather come with me?
……

Let’s go.

Whew, time to head to the station, where surely nothing bad will happen!

Oh, goddammit!

And forced us into this creepy alleyway!

Thank you for filling us in, Iori, because we never actually got to see that scene. Hey, I get it, making a whole environment for that scene would have been prohibitively costly.

Don’t think you’ll get away with this! The police are on their way!

Wajima-san has somethin’ to say. So listen up, will ya?

All my life, I’ve been poo poo outta luck when it comes to women.

Don’t love where this is going!

I’m tellin’ ya, girl… The moment I saw you, I knew you’d be mine.
Yeah, get it, Wajima-san!
N-No…

Oh hey, Ei! Here to… murder Iori, I guess? This is the alleyway, after all!

You need to leave those girls alone. Get out of here. Now.

Another poser? Huh!?
*sigh* Hard of hearing, are we? Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

This bastard’s a boxer…
A tad rusty. You got a few hits in.

Music: Just Because (Composer: Azusa Chiba, Arranger: Rikako Watanabe)

But why…?
……

You’re lying.

Thanks, Usami-chan.
You should have just bolted past the ticket gate. You’re such a slowpoke sometimes.

Tomi, there’s a cop right next to us.

Sorry…

A really cool guy came in and saved us!
You mean the one who ran downtown?
Yes, that’s right. I wonder what school he goes to…

We can leave the rest to the cop. Let’s go home.
……

Consider Cute Guy

Again!? Is this all you can think about, Iori!?

(I wonder where he is now… I might never see him again.)

(If I don’t run after him… I know I’ll regret it. Even if he turns me down… I have to tell him how I feel!)

Suddenly, a man in black emerges from the gap between buildings.

He’s nearby.

Music: The One (Kikuchi Yukinori) (This is legitimately one of my favorite tracks in the game)

Something like that, sure.

Oh hey, he magically appeared in that phone booth while the camera couldn’t see it! Cool trick!

Music: Now Or Never (Kazuki Higashihara)

You… Were you following me?
Um… I wanted to tell you something…
Don’t. If you’re seen with me… The men in black suits will go after you too.
Black suits?
I’m being hunted. Do you get it? Now go home. All right?

Dammit. Let go of me!
Don’t even think of drawing your gun here.

Music: High Alert (Yoshimi Kudo)

You’re not getting away, Sekigahara.

Perfect timing. Give me a hand.
So women and children are fair game, huh?

How chauvinist of you, Yuki.

Suddenly, the self-driving motorcycle drives up and stops near Ei.

So, uh… is anyone gonna help that unconscious G-man out of the loving street?

She seemed to be associated with the men in black. Did you recognize her?
No… It was too dark.

Ain’t that convenient!

I see. You might want to hold on a little tighter. You’re going to fall.
O-Okay.

Hey, um… I know this is sudden, but…

Music: A F8ful Struggle (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

I need to tell you. I…

What’s this all of a sudden? Some kind of prank from this era?

Ouch.

It’s not a prank! I know… You already have Shinonome-senpai. It’s probably awkward to hear this from me. But… Even if it ends up breaking my heart… I just needed to tell you. I needed you to know how I feel. ……

Ryoko-san is not my girlfriend.
Huh?
I spent a lot of time alone back home. Parents weren’t around. So, she stepped in. Looked after me like a big sister. She’s family to me. In that sense, I do care for her. I want her to be happy. That’s all.

Wow, so the “reveal” at the end of Iori’s last chapter was completely contrived bullshit fake melodrama? Perish the thought!

You mean it?
Middle school was a rough time for me. Haven’t heard a thing about love since I was a kid. Until now, that is.
(to self) So she’s not his girlfriend after all…
You know… It seems the two of us are bound by fate. What would you do if I told you…

Uhhhhhhh

……

Well… Yeah.

Gee, when you put it like that, it sounds pretty hackneyed!

Heh… You feel that strongly, huh? Didn’t see that coming.

Ei Sekigahara…

He hasn’t heard where you live yet, either, so I guess you’re both keeping each other in suspense, huh?

…… Let’s get you home.

And… where is that, exactly?

Don’t follow me again. All right?
……

…To murder you.

Contrary to what you may think from all the riffing I was just doing, I’m not suddenly down on this game. The Iori/Ei romance just is not a particularly strong element and is extremely easy to make fun of, so… I did. :v:

Gross.

Wrong “defused” there, buddy.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I really appreciate how much mileage they get out of the "Wajima and his goons got their butts kicked" sprites, it rules.