Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Gros Tarla posted:

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-696579

The video montage is pretty hilarious. Never knew it was possible to have multiple camera angles for a random IED find.

I really do want to know at what point Russia figured it didn't even need to make much of an effort at this, or at least do enough to make it look like less of a bad comic book movie B-plot when they play at false flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oh god its going to need so many patches.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Once again I find myself lamenting that I cannot make images thread titles.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Kavros posted:

I really do want to know at what point Russia figured it didn't even need to make much of an effort at this, or at least do enough to make it look like less of a bad comic book movie B-plot when they play at false flag

It's almost like they enjoy how fake it is. But of course they can't be fascists because as we've been made aware, Ukraine has the fascists actually.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Kavros posted:

Well, it was kinda hilarious to Putin at least. "Haha, made you ... holds his stomach for laughter ... all go to my ridiculous table *wailing from laughter* while I was just joking!"

But honestly what did he gain from any of this other than a few laughs and make Russia hated even more

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Translation pls

Russia face off against the ukranian reformed crack SS "Azov" batallion

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 15, 2022

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Sekenr posted:

Well, it was kinda hilarious to Putin at least. "Haha, made you ... holds his stomach for laughter ... all go to my ridiculous table *wailing from laughter* while I was just joking!"

But honestly what did he gain from any of this other than a few laughs and make Russia hated even more

Bullying Ukrane back into the fold is the best he can do.

Outside of that this just proves to everyone why you want to be in NATO and in the EU block which is extremely counter productive for them. Real "hurt myself to own the West" energy.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I can see why Trump never got his tank parade, those things look like a huge pain to deal with

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Numlock posted:

Bullying Ukrane back into the fold is the best he can do.

Outside of that this just proves to everyone why you want to be in NATO and in the EU block which is extremely counter productive for them. Real "hurt myself to own the West" energy.

Yeah, it kind of wrecks Ukraine, which is all Putin wanted. Imo the best thing the US and EU can do now is keep remilitarising Ukraine and offer a beyter deal of some sort on something :(

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
NATO's Euro-Atlantic Disaster Response Coordination Centre has received a request for international assistance from Ukraine due to expected "large-scale emergencies of various nature."

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Sekenr posted:

He inflicted a degree of economic harm on Ukraine as capital investments slowed (where it didn't flee outright) in anticipation of a major conflict. This will likely be short-term and Putin backing down may prove outright beneficial in the longer-term as it suggests he might lack the resolve and capacity to actually follow through with his threats.

Good thread:
https://twitter.com/BretDevereaux/status/1493612035963301897?t=AFMN0y32W109tYVVZVOabg&s=19
If the withdrawal actually happens, Western leaders absolutely should take an overt victory lap. The West held strong against an autocrat's belligerent threats and shored up a fledgling democracy on its periphery. And if the intent to invade was actually there, this wasn't just a matter of calling a bluff, but deterrence, showcasing just how far Putin has led Russia away from its former superpower status.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There will be at least one speech about how NATO matters because it managed to project stability not just among member states but in its neighbourhood.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
this popped up on my feed (maybe because ive clicked on a few zerohedge tweets in the past)

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1493601284695412745

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Translation pls

Translation via Google Lens posted:

INVASION OF UKRAINE

Hello everyone,

Today we decided to postpone the date of the capture of Ukraine by 16 days. The new release date is February 31st.

Most likely, there are a lot of emotions and questions in your heads, so, first of all, please accept our humble apologies.

The biggest problem for us now is the recruitment of units in the Kiev, Dnepropetrovsk and Odessa directions at the same time, which requires us to train 90 thousand soldiers while working at a distance. As the invasion of Ukraine has become almost a next-generation war, we need to make sure everything is put together well and every soldier is well-equipped. We understand that it may seem unrealistic when someone says that 16 days can make a difference in such a large and complex war, but it really is.

Some of you may also be wondering what these words mean in light of what we've been saying for a while that we're not going to attack. Passing UN certification or "receiving a military invasion" means that the attack is ready, can be completed and contains all content. But this does not mean that we will stop working on it and raise the quality bar. On the contrary, at this time, many improvements will be created, which will then be used in the offensive. This period of time that we underestimated.

We feel that we have a wonderful war in our hands and are ready to accept any decision, even the most difficult, if it ultimately leads to you getting the Ukraine that you fall in love with.

yours,

Sergei Shoigu and AdaM Kiczynski

CD PROJECT RED

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

He inflicted a degree of economic harm on Ukraine as capital investments slowed (where it didn't flee outright) in anticipation of a major conflict. This will likely be short-term and Putin backing down may prove outright beneficial in the longer-term as it suggests he might lack the resolve and capacity to actually follow through with his threats.

Good thread:
https://twitter.com/BretDevereaux/status/1493612035963301897?t=AFMN0y32W109tYVVZVOabg&s=19
If the withdrawal actually happens, Western leaders absolutely should take an overt victory lap. The West held strong against an autocrat's belligerent threats and shored up a fledgling democracy on its periphery. And if the intent to invade was actually there, this wasn't just a matter of calling a bluff, but deterrence, showcasing just how far Putin has led Russia away from its former superpower status.

I agree. It should be proclaimed as victory and something should be done if symbolically to show that Ukraine is still welcome or some poo poo.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Flavahbeast posted:

I can see why Trump never got his tank parade, those things look like a huge pain to deal with

Fun fact: US armored vehicles use rubber treads all the time and so don't tear up the roads quite as badly. Heavy vehicles hauling around at 80kph do damage roads and bridges, of course, but the treads help a lot. The rubber pads do wear out over time, so you can definitely get to the point where you're tearing up pavement, but at that point you're putting a lot of stress on the treads themselves which is bad for safety reasons.

:science:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Gros Tarla posted:

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-696579

The video montage is pretty hilarious. Never knew it was possible to have multiple camera angles for a random IED find.

See, this poo poo bothers me a bit. It's just too obviously staged so you gotta wonder what it's supposed to distract you from.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

this popped up on my feed (maybe because ive clicked on a few zerohedge tweets in the past)

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1493601284695412745
Biden you wanna crack down on subversive pro-enemy media? Now's your chance!

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Time to put on my tinfoil hat.

https://twitter.com/JacquiHeinrich/status/1493688179270070281

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo, Ukraine was just a diversion to distract from their invasion of America!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Clayton Bigsby posted:

See, this poo poo bothers me a bit. It's just too obviously staged so you gotta wonder what it's supposed to distract you from.

Oh the point of Russian propaganda is really simple: it's just to blitz you with a hundred different possible narratives both fantastical and plausible so that the average person either never hears the true narrative or just can't distinguish it from any of the fake ones.

It's not about getting people to believe the Russian line, it's providing a hundred possible hooks for people looking for a reason to doubt the Western narrative.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Alchenar posted:

It's not about getting people to believe the Russian line, it's providing a hundred possible hooks for people looking for a reason to doubt the Western narrative.

That's a good loving point.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Alchenar posted:

This is worth re-posting. This is how misinformation campaigns work. It's not that they convince you a particular thing is true: it's that they force you to doubt everything else. Russia is very, very good at maskirovka, and arguably has been since at least the Second World War. They're good at it strategically, operationally, and tactically. If decision makers are less certain as to the facts, they spend more time verifying, and less time deciding and acting. This certainly help if you're going to invade someone, but can advance Russia's aims even if they don't.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Alchenar posted:

Oh the point of Russian propaganda is really simple: it's just to blitz you with a hundred different possible narratives both fantastical and plausible so that the average person either never hears the true narrative or just can't distinguish it from any of the fake ones.

Yup, 100%, Russia uses the firehose method on multiple levels.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

this post seems to indicate that the Western narrative is also the true narrative?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Or to put it a way that might resonate with others: think of Russia's misinformation strategy as Manufacturing Consent's evil twin. Every principle in that book completely inverted, with the aim of collapsing an opposing societies ability to come to a consensus around a single policy.

e: ^^ for the purposes of brevity, in the context of a contested information environment between the West and Russia, yes

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 15, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Not a bad framing at all; so much of the point of the russian propaganda I've studied has been based in attempting to disrupt and prevent the development of civic discourse.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sekenr posted:

Personally, he's going to make billions from the MIC, and the Russian media will spin it as a victory against NATO. The whole episode has successfully distracted his audience from his disastrous handling of COVID, and his approval among voters and oligarchs alike will increase. In the meantime, Ukraine will never be allowed to join NATO now (it wasn't going to be able to join anyway, but this further solidifies it), and I'd be shocked if France and Germany allowed any other country to join for the foreseeable future. He's also demonstrated to Ukraine that he can make their lives miserable without even invading. This was a big win for Putin.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

NATO wins, Putin wins, everybody wins! (except Ukraine) :v:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

paul_soccer12 posted:

this post seems to indicate that the Western narrative is also the true narrative?

Not necessarily, but Western nations tend not to launch multiple, intentionally-conflicting narratives across as many public channels as possible. Because Western media is (mostly) not state-owned, they tend to follow their own individual narratives.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ynglaur posted:

Not necessarily, but Western nations tend not to launch multiple, intentionally-conflicting narratives across as many public channels as possible. Because Western media is (mostly) not state-owned, they tend to follow their own individual narratives.

Thanks for clarifying. This was informative. This thread is very helpful for someone who isnt an expert on russia (I'm not fluent in Russian).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Someone overloaded a breaker probably.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Personally, he's going to make billions from the MIC

Obviously Russia is a kleptocracy so I assume Putin gets to wet his beak on pretty much any state expenditures, but can you refer me to some reading about how intertwined he is with the Russian MIC, specifically?

Did Russia spend a ton of money on beefing up the military during this whole ordeal or just rearranged existing assets?

Other than funnelling arms to the separatists in east Ukraine through whatever blackbook slushfund of course

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1493704138131136516?s=20&t=t3wpXwpnkiH1foC8Y7P3pw

Ukraine brought up a bunch of armor to Kharkiv earlier today.

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1493694446759723015?s=20&t=k1yI6CP6VSJxrnRufW15fQ

Ukrainian Security Service website is now down, Russia seems to be launching a cyberattack on Ukrainian networks as the stream I'm watching has all of the streams out of Ukraine going down but not the ones from Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHhv3y7JIe8

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 15, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Russia must have intel those perfidious Ukrainians are planning something.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HonorableTB posted:

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1493704138131136516?s=20&t=t3wpXwpnkiH1foC8Y7P3pw

Ukraine brought up a bunch of armor to Kharkiv earlier today.

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1493694446759723015?s=20&t=k1yI6CP6VSJxrnRufW15fQ

Ukrainian Security Service website is now down, Russia seems to be launching a cyberattack on Ukrainian networks as the stream I'm watching has all of the streams out of Ukraine going down but not the ones from Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHhv3y7JIe8

Sounds like They Are No AngelsTM

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Grouchio posted:

NATO wins, Putin wins, everybody wins! (except Ukraine) :v:

Yeah, that's the game of empires for you. Whole lotta fun for everyone caught in the middle.

paul_soccer12 posted:

Obviously Russia is a kleptocracy so I assume Putin gets to wet his beak on pretty much any state expenditures, but can you refer me to some reading about how intertwined he is with the Russian MIC, specifically?

Did Russia spend a ton of money on beefing up the military during this whole ordeal or just rearranged existing assets?

Other than funnelling arms to the separatists in east Ukraine through whatever blackbook slushfund of course

There's no definitive proof on any of it, but there are some compelling theories, IMO. One decent book on the subject is called Russia’s Crony Capitalism, by Anders Aslund. Aslund goes hard on the Mafia state/crony capitalism angle: Putin awards contracts or business ownerships to friends and loyal courtiers, they make a shitton of money, and they give him major kickbacks under the table. Those people are dependent on him, since he can just as easily take away these boons as he gave them in the first place - see what happened to his former son-in-law, Kirill Shamalov.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

paul_soccer12 posted:

So the easiest way to think of property in Russia is that it all belongs to Putin, he is just letting his friends use it for convenience's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_JRSioZZyQ

loving ghouls