Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Critical posted:

It has not been announced by the company despite them knowing the server was breached since Thursday.

You should send a tip to the press:

https://www.nytimes.com/tips
https://www.washingtonpost.com/anonymous-news-tips/
https://www.wsj.com/tips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Also do this ^^^^^

Critical posted:

My company just got ransomwared and had a massive breach of employee and possibly client information including ssns and possibly bank account numbers.

I know this because I was included on the ransom email from the address they hacked. It has not been announced by the company despite them knowing the server was breached since Thursday. All we've had was an email stating our Dropbox is down. Completely denying the server problems on Thursday are related to the breach.

They also installed anti-ransomware software on my laptop yesterday morning. I was not allowed to work until this was done. They absolutely knew and locked the barn doors after the horses were long gone.

Looks like it's time to polish my resume yet again.

You should definitely let at least your coworkers know about this.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 15, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

StrangersInTheNight posted:

There's a particular type of naive person that cries THATS ILLEGAL when bad poo poo goes down in various industries, and it's very cute because sure on paper these things are, but what matters here is enforcement, which relies on the victims spending resources to even begin to seek justice. Unless YOU are gonna put your money where your mouth is and foot the bill for their legal defense to pursue an issue, shut upppp and staaahp telling exploited people that they'd just be protected if they lawyered up. It's wonderful when someone can, phenomenal, but a lot of people just have to move onto the next gig and call it a lesson learned.

Yeah if you're in the middle class and higher with a soft hands computer toucher job this is something you can do and you'll likely be successful. If your shirts already have white collars, you're fine.

If you're a retail worker (which a receptionist at a doctor's office is considered) or gig worker this is not the case, both because of how these jobs work and also because time = money in a way where folks living on the edge of poverty can't afford to pursue these things due to the fact that it takes time where they could be doing another job that earns them money. Not because of the literal money they're spending on a lawyer but because that is time that can be spent on the next gig. This is what I meant by the 'resources'. When your life is constant hustle, you're gonna concentrate on survival, not trying to 'punish the bad guys'.

This poo poo is like 'why didn't she report the rape' and you should feel lovely trying to blame the victims just bc YOU are lucky enough to be protected.

I agree that workers should have more protections.
I agree that gig working should fall under some or all of those protections, even though it doesn't yet federally.
I agree there is a negative societal perception about the challenges of bringing litigation as an employee, whether or not true.

I hear that you are working with people in tough situations who may feel defeated. That's great. However for most single plaintiffs, the $/hour of pursuing litigation will be worth it. For collective and class actions that is an ~it depends~.

Here is a snippet of recent data. Look at the company names here and tell me you believe these are all white collar workers:

Your perception of what occurs in the course of employment litigation does not align with reality.
You're incorrect that "white collar"1 jobs make up the majority of employment litigation.
You're incorrect about the costs associated with that counsel, namely the need to "foot the bill".
You seem to be incorrect about the time commitment typically required of plaintiffs in single plaintiff cases seeking under ~$25,000. How much is it worth to a person seeking $2K in wages? For most Americans that is 80 hours or more of work. For wage and hours stuff, it'd rarely require 80 hours of their time, and they're likely to recover more than that.

Keep your bloviating on what you think would help people to yourself, I'm listening to the actual people being victimized and working to make systematic change based on their input and needs. You live in a system which works for you and that's nice for you, but it doesn't mean you know how to help those left behind by the system.

lol

1in this case I'll define white collar as clearly falling within one of the FLSA exemptions and having a median or higher income

So it's great to comfort people and work toward change, but the enforcement today comes from EEOC, the DOL and attorneys. In most cases those are available with no upfront costs, and time commitments that are reasonable given the money sought.

EDIT: If anyone ITT needs help finding an L&E attorney in their area feel free to PM me. I am not an attorney.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 15, 2022

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

Edit: Also do this ^^^^^

You should definitely let at least your coworkers know about this.

I tipped off a bunch of people, some of which got the email and didn't think it was a big deal since "the company would have said something." Told them to start making calls to their banks and credit card companies. Then told them that the company doesn't give a gently caress about them as long as it improves their bottom line. This will irreparably harm their reputation, especially if vendor/client info was stolen so of course they won't say poo poo. Then I packed up my poo poo and got the gently caress out of dodge so I can WFH while handling all of my security nonsense I have to now deal with.

My boss either didn't know or feigned ignorance and then pointedly said the breach had nothing to do with the internet outage on Thursday. So the lie detector has determined blah blah blah gently caress off you assholes.

Will switch VPN servers in a bit and start dropping dimes, not sure how much good it will do but it will make me feel better at least.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I understand that if you're able to pursue these things you can come out on top. You guys aren't hearing that not everyone can. Oya.

I'm going to keep talking with gig workers, who are now roughly ~35% of workers according to the BLS, and thus not protected by a majority of labor rights, and organizing a union per the needs of the people it serves so they can actually use this system in a way that is effective and efficient for them. I think it's safe to call someone out of touch when they don't realize what they consider basic labor rights doesn't even apply to a full third of US workers.

My mistake was lumping gig and retail workers together in a way that made you think I meant these are the exact same circumstances, which is not true. These were just examples of workers who have more trouble pursuing things than white collar staff/employees due to both employee status and because of a privilege gap. Yes, I know retail workers are separate from gig workers in that they technically have more legal protections, but often retail workers suffer and are abused because of living on the edge of the poverty line and have to choose how best to spend their time and energy, and management knows this.

The story with my friend who was a receptionist is simply an example of someone being denied benefits in a specific situation, both initially and even upon 'appeal', because there was the insistence you would never be denied benefits under those circumstances. Yes, you can be denied benefits in those exact circumstances. Stop claiming it wouldn't happen, when it can and has.

She'd have to find an employment attorney and pursue it, and she wasn't able to do that at the time. She got victimized and had to move on. This is very common, and the insinuation she should have done more and somehow by not she failed herself and others is some poo poo. Shut the gently caress up with the judging her, assholes.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 15, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The story with my friend who was a receptionist is simply an example of someone being denied benefits both initially and even upon 'appeal', because there was the insistence you would never be denied benefits under those circumstances.

Who said this? Did you forget to read the part where they needed a lawyer too? Oh wait, no you didn't because you think that is completely impossible to achieve.

So not only are you conflating gig workers with W2 workers, you are continuing to demonstrate a complete misunderstanding and lack of any familiarity with how employment law functions. While claiming to be organizing something to help people who could benefit from it - including gig workers.

If you're really serious about this pursuit you should take what you're being told here and spend some time thinking about how you're going to correct this very much relevant-to-your-stated-goal knowledge gap rather than lashing out about how everyone else is wrong because somehow your situation is different. It's not.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

stinch posted:

sounds like a free laptop to me. what are they really going to do about it? take you to court? if they actually do ask for it tell them to come and collect it or that you already sent it back.

I agree it'll probably never be a problem but I wonder if there's some legalese way to say "hey I have your property, come get it or I'm trashing/selling it" if you really want to CYOA.

A insane laptop "theft" story happened near where I lived. This was just small town political insanity though. The high school coach was trying to get woman's sports funded equally to men's. After getting nowhere with the administration he went public. That pissed them off and they fired him for "unrelated reasons" but that wasn't enough for some admin Karen. He claims he called the IT guy about what to do with his laptop and IT guy said to just keep it. The school administrators, without asking for the laptop back or anything, called the police and reported it stolen and was worth the original purchase price so it was an arrestable offense. The news didn't say how old the laptop was but it was a mac from when they were still white so it was worth jack poo poo. Police perp-walked him out in front of the news. The judge eviscerated the school and police and threw out the charges. I think some admins lost their jobs over that at least.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

Pekinduck posted:

I agree it'll probably never be a problem but I wonder if there's some legalese way to say "hey I have your property, come get it or I'm trashing/selling it" if you really want to CYOA.

Send a letter certified mail saying “come get your poo poo you have X weeks”

Have a lawyer draft the letter if you’re worried about them coming after you.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I didn't say it was impossible to achieve, simply that it's very difficult for people to pursue who aren't already comfortable to a certain extent and there's a privilege gap there. The fact you seem to characterize acknowledging this as 'defeatism' means we can't really come to a consensus to even begin speaking, because that's not what it is. I'm not going to take advice from someone who thinks simply acknowledging a reality a lot of folks live in is defeatism, especially when you seem to be ignoring that I'm currently trying to build rights for gig workers into this exact system for them, so clearly I do believe it has some value to pursue. I don't have the energy to pursue fixing the system for both gig workers AND retail workers and so the 'suggestions' are unwelcome (as well as the insinuation that I'm too lazy to do the actual work, as I'm doing union one-on-ones with people) - you go do that then, I'm working on my own poo poo. I'm sorry I even brought them up together, as it seems clear you are technically-minded enough you can't seem to parse the ways I was discussing their similarities as being often exploited and not saying they are exactly the same types of workers.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 15, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I didn't say it was impossible to achieve, simply that it's very difficult for people to pursue who aren't already comfortable to a certain extent and there's a privilege gap there. The fact you seem to characterize acknowledging this as 'defeatism' means we can't really come to a consensus to even begin speaking, because that's not what it is. I'm not going to take advice from someone who thinks simply acknowledging a reality a lot of folks live in is defeatism, especially when you seem to be ignoring that I'm currently trying to build rights for gig workers into this exact system for them, so clearly I do believe it has some value to pursue. I don't have the energy to pursue fixing the system for both gig workers AND retail workers and so the 'suggestions' are unwelcome (as well as the insinuation that I'm too lazy to do the actual work, as I'm doing union one-on-ones with people) - you go do that then, I'm working on my own poo poo. I'm sorry I even brought them up together, as it seems clear you are technically-minded enough you can't seem to parse the ways I was discussing their similarities as being often exploited and not saying they are exactly the same types of workers.

IMO we're having trouble coming to a consensus because you personalize any challenge to your statements, even though your statements are regarding employment law and are confusing or incorrect. You continue to modify these statements once they've been sufficiently challenged, insisting that only you have the interest of the people at heart and only you have knowledge of the tribulations of the working class. When confronted about this you've thrown demeaning remarks and accuse others of privilege, having no knowledge of their background.

We want you to help other people.

We do not want your well-meaning advice to harm them. If you are advising them on the challenges of hiring attorneys or the likely challenges or outcomes of engaging an employment attorney, without sufficient knowledge of how that system works, it may harm them. Thus, we're discouraging you from doing that one piece of whatever good fight you're fighting.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 15, 2022

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Pekinduck posted:

If you decide to keep the laptop, turn to page 37.
If you decide to throw the laptop away, turn to page 56.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Agents are GO! posted:

There’s nothing about laptops on page 56, there’s just a big derail about bicycles.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Critical posted:

My company just got ransomwared and had a massive breach of employee and possibly client information including ssns and possibly bank account numbers.

I know this because I was included on the ransom email from the address they hacked. It has not been announced by the company despite them knowing the server was breached since Thursday. All we've had was an email stating our Dropbox is down. Completely denying the server problems on Thursday are related to the breach.

They also installed anti-ransomware software on my laptop yesterday morning. I was not allowed to work until this was done. They absolutely knew and locked the barn doors after the horses were long gone.

Looks like it's time to polish my resume yet again.

So is GiveSendGo a good place to work under normal circumstances?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Motronic posted:

All of the KVMs under like $500 are pretty garbage. I use my monitor to switch inputs and a USB switch for the keyboard and mouse. Most USB switches are also garbage. I've had to go through a few to find the least bad. But at least they're cheap.

Yea the problem with most USB KVM switches is that it shuts off/disconnects your USB peripheral from the computer entirely. So, every time you switch you have to wait for the computer to reconnect to the peripheral before you can do anything.

You'd think they'd find some cheap way to just stop any other signal than 'connected' from going through so you don't have to wait a couple seconds every time for Windows to make the noise.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea the problem with most USB KVM switches is that it shuts off/disconnects your USB peripheral from the computer entirely. So, every time you switch you have to wait for the computer to reconnect to the peripheral before you can do anything.

You'd think they'd find some cheap way to just stop any other signal than 'connected' from going through so you don't have to wait a couple seconds every time for Windows to make the noise.

The TrippLite one's don't run into the same issue from what I remember, but they cost and have the unfortunate habit of being DVI only. DVI to HDMI cables are cheap enough that it isn't a major issue most of the time. I'm presently trying to get my team to switch to something like that instead of making us buy additional monitors when you can only realistically work either the real time or workstation at once.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

So is GiveSendGo a good place to work under normal circumstances?

Had to google that and fuckin LMAO no

as an update: no further response, sent an email asking about the scope of the breach with no reply, and everyone is acting as if the email with a list of personal info and SSNs doesn't exist. in fact the email is still accessible in my inbox (not a IT guy so I don't know the logistics of removing it from the server or if it can even be done) i feel like I'm insane because I'm furious and literally no one else gives a poo poo, even those I warned.

I had my funds transferred to a new checking account and the old one frozen so it can only receive deposits since I get paid on friday. will be switching to paper checks for a while. got fraud alert put on my credit profile so I have to be contacted in the case of any new accounts opening.

almost forgot, got scolded because I missed teams call due to being on the phone with my bank preventing the mess they caused. nearly walked on the spot and I'm still entertaining the idea.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Critical posted:

Had to google that and fuckin LMAO no

as an update: no further response, sent an email asking about the scope of the breach with no reply, and everyone is acting as if the email with a list of personal info and SSNs doesn't exist. in fact the email is still accessible in my inbox (not a IT guy so I don't know the logistics of removing it from the server or if it can even be done) i feel like I'm insane because I'm furious and literally no one else gives a poo poo, even those I warned.

I had my funds transferred to a new checking account and the old one frozen so it can only receive deposits since I get paid on friday. will be switching to paper checks for a while. got fraud alert put on my credit profile so I have to be contacted in the case of any new accounts opening.

almost forgot, got scolded because I missed teams call due to being on the phone with my bank preventing the mess they caused. nearly walked on the spot and I'm still entertaining the idea.

Look into your state's laws on PII breach and breach disclosure. Most are written along the lines of "within X days of a breach being noticed, you must inform all affected persons". Wait until after the statutory time limit where fines are issued, then narc on them to the enforcement/whistleblower line.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Look into your state's laws on PII breach and breach disclosure. Most are written along the lines of "within X days of a breach being noticed, you must inform all affected persons". Wait until after the statutory time limit where fines are issued, then narc on them to the enforcement/whistleblower line.

Just looked up my state and the law states the government and the affected must be notified "within a reasonable amount of time" which is apparently famously nebulous and widely debated. Good poo poo!

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Critical posted:

Just looked up my state and the law states the government and the affected must be notified "within a reasonable amount of time" which is apparently famously nebulous and widely debated. Good poo poo!

Just a bit of CYA but maybe print a copy or three of that e-mail.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Critical posted:

in fact the email is still accessible in my inbox (not a IT guy so I don't know the logistics of removing it from the server or if it can even be done)

Lmao, this takes about five minutes in office365, your IT team is entirely incompetent (obviously given the situation but it bears repeating).

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Years ago, at a different employer, a board member on their way to a BOD meeting had their luggage stolen. They'd printed out full employee files for review. Copies of DLs, passport numbers, SSNs, addresses, everything was in that pile of notes.

We got a 3 year credit monitoring service. Yay.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Critical posted:

Anonymous emails can also be sent within a reasonable amount of time

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I work in a small industry, about 20 years now, where I know most of the major US players by first name.

One guy has a history of tanking companies. He hired me a couple of companies ago. He wanted someone to run a satellite office, and I was looking for a different role, so I took the gig and kept myself distanced. Eventually he lost my company over a million bucks and was asked to resign. I was offered his job. I agreed with the caveat that I have full access to his books, files, and emails. My boss didn't only agree, he gave me a month of hours to dig through the mess.

Holy poo poo. The guy was always slimy, but seeing it laid bare like that was amazing. He wasn't clever about it at all. Of an age where he didn't have a personal email account, just used his work email for everything. So "business trips" across the country that lined up with his kids away games. Lots of questionable expenses that the cfo was ignoring (also fired).

The funniest bit was all his travel accounts (car rentals, hotel & airline notifications, etc) were still tied to his work email months after he left. So I was tracking him visiting clients, and them emailing him details to his wrong email address for almost a year. And flat out lying to his former and current employees. Some horrible racist poo poo as cherries on top.

Since my field is so small, he and I are kind of the industry drama duo. Everyone always wants to know why I despise him so much, he really plays the "but I'm such a nice guy, why does PUFS hate me" card. I just don't give details. Hes a good salesman. I'm unfortunately known as difficult to manage, so most people assume im just being a dick. But I've got the receipts, motherfucker, and you tanked my stock options.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHW58D-_O64

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Our company switched to an unlimited PTO policy years ago. I used the old policy as a guide, so at the end of that year I started taking four weeks off, as that was what you earned at ten years. I've been there seventeen years now and I'm still just taking four off. Maybe it's time to dare to submit that fifth week.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Lmao, this takes about five minutes in office365, your IT team is entirely incompetent (obviously given the situation but it bears repeating).

IT is very bad at their jobs and worse at covering up their massive fuckup

when i asked my boss about the email she either feigned ignorance or honestly had no clue. i forwarded the email and the response was "company is aware, working on it this AM. Nothing to do with the downtime thursday."

since I did not ask about the downtime thursday because I wasn't in the office and did not suffer any downtime myself, it was now obvious it had everything to do with the downtime on thursday. pair that with an IT guy running around the office like his rear end was on fire Monday morning installing anti-ransomware software on any computer he could peel an employee away from and it is hilarious at how bad they are at handling this.

keep in mind I have not been prompted to change my windows password once in the six months I've been there. i would be willing to bet the guy who originally got compromised was using the default password which anyone in this thread could manually brute force in less than two minutes. it's that easy to guess.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

e:

pumped up for school posted:

The funniest bit was all his travel accounts (car rentals, hotel & airline notifications, etc) were still tied to his work email months after he left. So I was tracking him visiting clients, and them emailing him details to his wrong email address for almost a year. And flat out lying to his former and current employees. Some horrible racist poo poo as cherries on top.

Surely you replied to them all with a few choice details of his past transgressions, yes? :getin:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 16, 2022

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

GI_Clutch posted:

Our company switched to an unlimited PTO policy years ago. I used the old policy as a guide, so at the end of that year I started taking four weeks off, as that was what you earned at ten years. I've been there seventeen years now and I'm still just taking four off. Maybe it's time to dare to submit that fifth week.

Take a other four, as long as you get your work done.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Machai posted:

Take a other four, as long as you get your work done.

Or give that 4-day week a try

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Just don't come back after Christmas

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Unlimited PTO is always such a poo poo show because it's presented like when coaches used to tell you "practice tomorrow is optional". You know drat well it's not optional and they are trying to guilt you into going by presenting it to you with your peers. Only in this case they are trying to guilt you into not using the PTO.

gently caress em.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Outrail posted:

Just don't come back after Christmas

At an old company we didn't have a cap, and I accrued an obscene amount of vacation and pto over 10+ years (they accrued separately). When they realized a few of us had good sized liabilities on the books, they gave us a deadline for "use it or lose it" which made sense, except that I couldn't use it all by the deadline. I asked my boss if he'd approve my going on a 6 month paid vacation and he said of course not.

I quit so they'd have to pay it all out. That was the job that looked the best on my resume, but I'm not giving up 6 months of pay for a status symbol.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

CarForumPoster posted:

We want you to help other people.

We do not want your well-meaning advice to harm them. If you are advising them on the challenges of hiring attorneys or the likely challenges or outcomes of engaging an employment attorney, without sufficient knowledge of how that system works, it may harm them. Thus, we're discouraging you from doing that one piece of whatever good fight you're fighting.

The advice I get from the union rep and the employment lawyers connected is more valuable, so I'll stick with that. My initial irritation was with people who crow things are illegal as if that fixes it right away, since I have to deal with so much of helping on the community-building and enforcement sides.

You all seem to assume gig = 1099 only. Gig workers can be both W2 and 1099 - a 1099 is not the only distinguishing feature. Plenty of gig workers in at-will states get put on payroll for the short duration of their contract and are W2. I'm on W2 right now and my contract is up in April, and I'm absolutely not a full-time employee I'm a contract worker and I don't have the same protections as staff, though I do have more protections that someone who is straight 1099. There's levels to it. They can be white collar, blue collar, rich, poor. They run a wide gamut and can have various amounts of leverage. I spoke about retail workers and certain gig workers who often end up on the other end of the privilege gap due to having the least amount of leverage, because class also is part of what informs leverage.

I expressed frustration because of this work and for that I apologize, it's not the fault of anyone here, but I drat sure ain't gonna take finger-wagging from folks who have so wildly misinterpreted me and what it means to be gig workers, they've somehow assumed I don't understand the difference between a W2 and 1099 worker.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 16, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I feel like most companies that have a use it or lose it by end of year with carry over dying on March 31 are because they don't want to carry Millions of dollars of pay liabilities on their books.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

In the UK most jobs are legally obligated to give you 28 days off a year, so I've heard tell of people getting to November without booking much leave and basically being told to gently caress off and come back in the new year.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
/\/\ and because it prevents this, yeah.

I've been hearing that it's becoming more popular in the US nowadays to get offered the 'unlimited vacation' thing because it actually ends up having people take less vacation time, and then the company doesn't have to track vacation days or pay out when someone leaves. But the flexibility is apparently still very worth it, it's great for parents and those with disabilities.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 16, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I've been hearing that it's becoming more popular in the US nowadays to get offered the 'unlimited vacation' thing because it actually ends up having people take less vacation time, and then the company doesn't have to track vacation days or pay out when someone leaves. But the flexibility is apparently still very worth it, it's great for parents and those with disabilities.

I'm guessing the problem is if companies say 'you need to request time off and also it must be at least a week/month in advance and also we're going to deny your requests for very good reasons'.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Outrail posted:

I'm guessing the problem is if companies say 'you need to request time off and also it must be at least a week/month in advance and also we're going to deny your requests for very good reasons'.

It's this. I've been at places where the answer to every leave request was "we need you that week, schedule your holiday some other time". Mysterious, everybody was a key employee for the whole year.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dongsturm posted:

It's this. I've been at places where the answer to every leave request was "we need you that week, schedule your holiday some other time". Mysterious, everybody was a key employee for the whole year.

And yet when confronted with this proof they're all key employees they still whine about 'feeling undervalued' smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

I'm at a place with unlimited that's mindful of that - managers get poo poo if their reports aren't taking enough time off. Some of the workaholics have to be bullied into taking a day but overall it's been a good change and it's unabused as we're all adults.