Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Martytoof posted:

I am ///officially/// out of easy excuses to not be making music all the freakin’ time. It’s all hooked up and all working.

my friend. have you heard about video games? those computers you have, they can run video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

You can run Doom on all those machines

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

petit choux posted:

You can run Doom on all those machines

The stool probably, too!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

okay here's another one of my dumb surveys:

Do you make music on a laptop, PC, or DAWless, and why?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

a mysterious cloak posted:

umm umm, excuse me? Excuse me?!

I make music on a Mac, thank you very much

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MacBook Air. I would prefer dawless but I haven’t found the right recording setup with that. All synths + guitar amps running into the computer. No virtual instruments. Reverb in the DAW since there’s not really a clear benefit to hardware reverb vs valhalladsp+Logic reverbs, and I’ve owned a bunch of really good reverb pedals. Feels pretty good overall. I like an old school approach with live playing and recording in a minimal package. I think computer based music is pretty boring and uninspiring. Knobs are good. My situation is a decent blend of both worlds without being too computery.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

I make music on my Macbook Pro when recording, but I try to play as many parts when/if I perform live except for sections I can't physically play so I relegate that to sending MIDI to one of my instruments.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Cool poo poo.
Whoa. Looks like you have a mighty fine setup now. If/when it is safe again, I would sure like to meet up and doodle on some synths / bust some targets with yah. I might be able to bring some items not present in your current collection, and I have family in the lower mainland.

Dreams of "covid's over" goon meets.

I use vcv rack on a PC laptop because I already had one, and it's an affordable way to experiment with a lot of modular stuff. I also love playing around with HW gear, and trying out different ways of hooking bits up to other bits. I use a daw as a recorder because learning how to use the rest of the functionality seemed both more confusing, and less fun than learning the same stuff in hardware. Still super new to all of this, and just doing what seems fun and/or interesting.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 15, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use an iPad and windows computer side by side, most of my synths are on the iPad because I love the touch interface (and I can sound design in bed) and use bespoke on the windows system for midi control, vst fun, or combine with a vcv patch.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

xzzy posted:

(and I can sound design in bed)

:wink:

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

I use my thinkpad t420 as a midi controller for all my synths. Renoise to sequence and audacity to record.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
So the MIDI in OctaMED is not perfect per se, enough so that it drops a clock tick or two. This means I needed to mash the CONT. SONG button a lot in order to bring the clock back into sync. It's a pain in the rear end but the result is nerdvana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0LPbm2Zb64

Octamed in WinUAE is supplying the MIDI master clock. The MPC has a 909 kit loaded up and is supplying sync to the TD-3 over one of its extra outs. The tune is valium by freQ / dA Jointmen, which I grabbed from this absolutely massive amiga jungle trove.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
All of the above. Desktop at home, laptop elsewhere. I nowadays usually start with recording something on the modular, synths or feedback/noise pedalboard and arrange and add to it in Live. This works for me because pure DAWless is noodly dogshit and this way I can mix and mangle it into a ”song”. I got really tired of sequencing everything in Live a couple of years ago, felt like doing assembly line stuff. Also really not into plugin instruments, theres just something missing, never feel like playing or programming them.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

PC. even the stuff i mainly make on hardware will eventually touch the PC for mixing and such. and i also do some neuro bass type stuff that just isn’t possible with the hardware i have. i will often sample it on my hardware but the sound design sessions themselves are on the PC

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

DAWless. I started with desktop synths (volcas, se01) as an introduction to electronic music. Then I tried Ableton but it didn't click with me. I can see the appeal to make professional level productions, but I only turn knobs to relax and have fun and the possibilities within a DAW are just too overwhelming.

Now I have sold all my desktop synths and play 100% within modular (even mixing, compression, and equalizing) because it's what brings me the most joy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DAWless and I'll continue to say that the only reason I so stubbornly want to go without a modern computer is that I'm too easily distracted.

I literally just need to be face to face with buttons and knobs and no immediate way to access the internet. The most sensible thing might be to just learn some restraint but here's what typically happens:

- Open Ableton
- Drag in some instruments or samples
- Oh hey this is cool but I wonder what this button does
- cmd-tab to Safari and open youtube, immediately search for "ableton sampler"
- Spend the next 3 hours watching and right clicking related videos into tabs until I've somehow gone from watching Ableton sampler tips and tutorials and ended up watching Mustie1 repairing another old yard sale engine. Total music made: approximately exactly zero.

If I were a stronger person mentally I would just turn off the wifi on my laptop and force myself to just turn the button I was curious about until I figure out what it does. But as we can all plainly see, that's not in the cards.

Plus there's something deeply satisfying about discrete gear linked together working in harmony to make something cool. It's the same feeling I get when I was a stupid child and hooked up to my friend's computer over serial port to play Doom. Just much more satisfying than staring at a screen.

And jokingly but not jokingly, I firmly believe I have at some point conflated actual human happiness with the adrenaline rush of buying new equipment.

B33rChiller posted:

Whoa. Looks like you have a mighty fine setup now. If/when it is safe again, I would sure like to meet up and doodle on some synths / bust some targets with yah. I might be able to bring some items not present in your current collection, and I have family in the lower mainland.

Dreams of "covid's over" goon meets.

Whereabouts are you? I hear lower mainland and I'm thinking BC but I'm over here in Doug Ford's Ontario :(

That said, I would totally be down for a communal jam with locals at some point. I think it would be beyond fun to drag the equipment out for a day and just let people donk around on old samplers and stuff without having to pay the premium, and get to play with some different equipment myself.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 15, 2022

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Everything in Renoise (ok sometimes I bring multi tracks out to Reaper if I want to pretend I know how to do a proper mix down and master). I’ve tried hardware sequencing off and on but I never get beyond just a 4 bar loop and have no headspace for how to turn it into a song.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

I used to make it on a DAW (reaper) but now I am trying to do a hybrid where I record DAWless and then produce it in Reaper. Why? Because when I was just doing it in a computer, I got so into music theory that I reduced it down to math + using only VSTs took all the fun out of it. Stuff like knowing counterpoint, voice leading and harmonization can be dangerous because you write a melody and toss in what the rules say you should do and that's it. I can just crank stuff out with no creativity.

These are really old but out of these three sketches I posted on my soundcloud, I felt only the first one "Capaneus" was any good because it used clarinet ostinato over field recordings of rattling garage doors and a gas injector firing up from work. The others were work with orchestration where I took a traditional melody and overlaid texture and theory.
https://soundcloud.com/user-737627213

NC Wyeth Death Cult fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 15, 2022

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Hardware for improvisation, laptop for composition.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Kilometers Davis posted:

MacBook Air. I would prefer dawless but I haven’t found the right recording setup with that. All synths + guitar amps running into the computer. No virtual instruments. Reverb in the DAW since there’s not really a clear benefit to hardware reverb vs valhalladsp+Logic reverbs

This mirrors my situation. DAW on a MacBook for recording, alignment, volume adjustment, and panning of hardware sounds. Occasional use of compression, reverb, and filter plugins. I could do the reverb exclusively hardware side, but there are times when it's better to work with it out of the way.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Actually that's a really good distinction. I've been in no danger of ever coming close to producing something I'd be happy sharing with the world, but when that time comes I'm very certain I'll dump my stems into a DAW for finalization.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m DAWless and in a love triangle between my OP1, iPad and Monologue.

I know it’s easier to use my computer as a DAW but I kinda like the fidgety tape interface.

Now if TE would fix the newest firmware so I could use usb audio out and 3.5 in at the same time without buttfucking the quality I’d be golden.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

I noodle around before going to the DAW -- playing around on instruments either on their own or with a looper pedal, sequencing things with Digitakt/tone, pretending I know what I'm doing on an MPC Live -- but then I put the pieces into either Cubasis on the iPad or straight into Cubase on a Windows laptop. Starting out on instruments/hardware feels like the best way to sketch things out, and better ideas seem to develop than when I just sit down and open up the DAW. But I don't end up finishing anything unless I move the sketches into Cubasis (and then Cubase), or record directly into Cubase, where I actually look at the structure of the thing, layer tracks, fiddle with the mix console, etc.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Mostly PC with a little DAWless sometimes.

The DAWless concept actually brings up a question I wanted to ask: I've been working on a portable rig with a Polyend Tracker, a Volca FM, a Zoia, and a Tascam recorder that I either record the whole works with or use as a sample source. Everything runs off batteries or a battery pack. Is there a tiny, decent, portable mixer anyone could recommend that would work well here? I mean, I *could* just use the Zoia for that but I'm a lazy rear end and also sometimes get lost in how a patch is laid out trying to remember where I put the mixer module. Four inputs would be cool.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I always hear good things about the bluebox but I'm never portable enough to drop $500+ on it. If I'm remote I usually only ever have my MPC or my PET and don't really hang anything off them.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Whereabouts are you? I hear lower mainland and I'm thinking BC but I'm over here in Doug Ford's Ontario :(

Oops. I thought you were a Vancouver goon. I'm on Vancouver Island.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m going to give up trying to be dawless for the most part. I am still sequencing and performing live but I realized it doesn’t matter if the tascam is storing the wav files or my computer

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Desktop Logic user for 20+ users. Started on PC, had to dual boot Win98 and XP because Logic didn’t run on XP or something (or it might’ve been the emi 6|2 interface, I don’t remember).

When Apple bought emagic, I said I’d never switch, but between having already bought the EXS24 and ES1, and not really liking Cubase or anything else at the time, I ended up getting a refurbished G4 PowerBook, and over time eventually switched completely over to Mac.

Today I’m running Logic Pro on a 2016 Mac Mini. I have NI Komplete and the Waves Gold bundle of plug-ins, but ever since I started doing eurorack last year, I’ve been more productive than I have been in… 20 years.

Software instruments and effects can do anything, but the problem is that they can do anything. There’s a lack of focus. You can spend days trying to dial in the exact right sound, but ultimately that doesn’t make better music. Meanwhile, everything I do in eurorack is so much more immediate. Software instruments are so wide open that it’s very easy to make bad or cheesy sounds. I once created a Reaktor patch where I was going for this evolving, spectral, resonating, percussive sound. I spent forever on it, and then when I showed it to my band, one of them was like, “that sounds like a steel drum. This is like calypso music.” I’d gotten so in my head about it that I didn’t even realize it, but she was right.

So now my philosophy is just use Logic to record, and only use the stock compressor, EQs and reverbs. I cheat and use the L3 Limiter sometimes though. But stay away from all the other effects. Stay away from softsynths. I will probably integrate Virus TI eventually, even though that’s a soft synth itself (even though the Total Integration feature no longer works on current Mac OS’s). But keep the computer stuff basic. Do all the sound design and composing in hardware.

Im not going DAWless, but the DAW shouldn’t be the center of EVERYTHING like it’s become.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

nominal posted:

The DAWless concept actually brings up a question I wanted to ask: I've been working on a portable rig with a Polyend Tracker, a Volca FM, a Zoia, and a Tascam recorder that I either record the whole works with or use as a sample source. Everything runs off batteries or a battery pack. Is there a tiny, decent, portable mixer anyone could recommend that would work well here? I mean, I *could* just use the Zoia for that but I'm a lazy rear end and also sometimes get lost in how a patch is laid out trying to remember where I put the mixer module. Four inputs would be cool.

This is I think what this is intended for.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

nominal posted:

Do you need EQ and stereo? If you don't need those and really tiny/ultra portable is the main thing, you could look at a Bastl Dude. It has five mono inputs and can run off batteries.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

DAWless on OP-1 for a while, but never really ended up with finished songs since it was awkward to do arranging, forcing me to pre plan and then I got stuck in analysis paralysis.

Then DAWless on ipad using auxy, xynthesizer, fugue machine, aum, etc, but mostly ended up with loops and A/B part stuff.

Now, primarily bitwig (PC), though mostly in clip launcher or doing ambient stuff inside and outside the grid. Still not 'finishing' anything. It's almost like the problem is me and not my tools.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Dawless cause I spend 8 hours a day on a computer at work and I want none of that at home.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

havelock posted:

It's almost like the problem is me and not my tools.

I refuse to entertain this possibility whatsoever

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

I produce music only on a desktop PC, custom-built for that purpose. This is my second DAW PC, and I will build another some day when/if graphics cards are easier to shop for. (I shop for the fastest fanless or at least quiet card I can find.) Cubase is my DAW of choice because it does everything, and because I've been using piano roll style sequencers for almost as long as they've existed. (Ran Cubase 1.0 on Mac, and other sequencers on Atari 8-bit and STs for years before that.)

I've tried other DAWs, as well as hardware sequencers, workstations, and groove boxes, but I always find myself missing a favorite tool or feature.

Anyway, the tools I use suit the way I write music. Generally I get a kernel of a song idea, and it grows into a fuller song outline in my head over a week or two. I don't even fire up the DAW until I at least have solid Verse/Bridge/Chorus in mind. I map out the song structure with markers and then I fill in the blanks. Rather than finding inspiration in my tools, the inspiration is external, and I just seek tools that offer me the quickest path to commit my ideas into something audible. (Part of the reason that I'm slowly shedding all my vintage synths; they're mostly a pain to program and record, and I'd rather use that time arranging and mixing.)

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 15, 2022

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Little dubby jam while I'm waiting for my microphone to be delivered so my daughter can make music with me :) Can't wait to try it with the morphagene.

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/sodden-minds

e: BIA into shallow water and polymoon for the arpeggio, chainsaw into MMM VCF controlled by 0-ctrl for the bass (chords with the 3 CV outputs), crater+autodyne for the kick, plaits for the snare, erica synths cymbals

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 15, 2022

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I don't know if what I do is considered music, but...

I just like turning knobs, sliding sliders, and patching cables. If it ends up sounding like the techno that I love, that is just a huge bonus.

I do need to figure out how to make it darker and dirtier... There is so much to learn!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dexefiend posted:

I do need to figure out how to make it darker and dirtier... There is so much to learn!

Feedback, overdriven tubes and upwards compression!

And a qubit data bender. Also, thanks to a Jeremy Blake video today, a Cursus Iteritas Percido because he got some filthy tones out of that thing.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

petit choux posted:

This is I think what this is intended for.

I got one of these and either the ADC or something about the USB implementation renders it almost unusable for getting audio into the computer. Just incredibly noisy, sounds like utter poo poo. Even more than my music does in the first place.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trig Discipline posted:

I got one of these and either the ADC or something about the USB implementation renders it almost unusable for getting audio into the computer. Just incredibly noisy, sounds like utter poo poo. Even more than my music does in the first place.

I've never tried to connect it to a computer. I forgot you can. If I had I may have been as disappointed as you sound with it, I don't know. But I was just looking for something to match the general look as well as the sound of pocket operators and I found one on sale real cheap. For the dirty noises I generate with pocket operators they aren't too bad. I use it for:

I somehow think it's better than most of your cheap mini-mixers if only for the rudimentary mixing of unbalanced stereo signals without degrading or coloring the sound too badly. Like I've used a lot of cheap miniature or field mixers, and these aren't as lovely as most of the ones that just do what these do.

But as for getting audio into the computer I'd use something better, typically. I would at least run it to a machine capable of a higher bit rate, not universal but generally a sign of a better one. I've had nothing but good experiences with Edirol, for one. And M-Audio got one or two where they did both the hardware and the software right on the same machine, which was also great. And if I weren't going mobile I'd use a higher quality mixer in general. Unfortunately I sold it to Kraven Morehead and haven't gotten another one so good yet.

Thinkin' 'bout that Yamaha MU128. Mmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I wish I hadn’t broken my Soundcraft mixer. That thing was the bee’s knees, and now I don’t think I’ll be able to get a replacement until at least the summer.

They remain out of stock/“more on the way” everywhere, and I’ve heard rumblings about June/July.

I was going to upsize to the 22/24 channel one, but at this point I’d be happy to get my hands on another 12/14