Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Kurieg posted:

Yes, he later talks about how playing a Nazi doesn't make you a Nazi so it's totally okay that he has extensive rules on how to play a Nazi

Sargeant Rage Did Nothing Wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Loomer posted:

The gently caress is he even on about? I have literally never met a single player who has said anything like this.

Oh, wait. He's talking about the bit where 'the allure of heroic fascism' sounds a bit fash, isn't he.

Sounds like he's trying to cry about how "Wokeness" has ruined games by citing Chick Tracts and Brucatto's delusions about playing evil wizards as being the reason sensible people say "Keep that Nazi poo poo away from my loving table, thanks."

Instead of..you know, the sensible response being "GTFO Nazis".

Seriously gently caress him, and I think less of those podcasters now for not pushing back on his bullshit. Not to say I had a heap of respect for them to begin with, I'd listened to enough of their episodes to get the impression they have a very specific idea of how Vampire should be played and anyone who doesn't like their way is just wrong.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Digital Osmosis posted:

do you think you could honestly tell the difference between an online community in the final stages of disquiet and uh, any other online community?

KiwiFarms turns its gaze inwards.

Semi related my Promethean campaign is going great, my players have switched into substantially off-character refinements and it's created really fun tensions as the players lean into and learn their new refinements. Something feels great about a game where "joining a book club" gets described by the players as "exhilarating."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

joylessdivision posted:

Sounds like he's trying to cry about how "Wokeness" has ruined games by citing Chick Tracts and Brucatto's delusions about playing evil wizards as being the reason sensible people say "Keep that Nazi poo poo away from my loving table, thanks."

Instead of..you know, the sensible response being "GTFO Nazis".

Seriously gently caress him, and I think less of those podcasters now for not pushing back on his bullshit. Not to say I had a heap of respect for them to begin with, I'd listened to enough of their episodes to get the impression they have a very specific idea of how Vampire should be played and anyone who doesn't like their way is just wrong.

The hosts, unprompted and even with a little pushback from Ericsson, directly attribute a pause in the Chechen pogrom to the Camarilla book controversy. They basically call him a hero. From what I could find with some cursory reading, the thing they're talking about was a "lull" in the tortures and killings that started a year before Camarilla came out, and things actually ramped up after the controversy (though of course I wouldn't directly tie that to the bad vampire book).

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Tulip posted:

KiwiFarms turns its gaze inwards.

Semi related my Promethean campaign is going great, my players have switched into substantially off-character refinements and it's created really fun tensions as the players lean into and learn their new refinements. Something feels great about a game where "joining a book club" gets described by the players as "exhilarating."

It just occurred to me that Promethean would make a phenomenal knock-off of Disco Elysium.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Digital Osmosis posted:

It just occurred to me that Promethean would make a phenomenal knock-off of Disco Elysium.

omg it fits perfectly

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I guess I'm tired of having to ask this every time splat books get discussed, so can people explain how the stories work in practice.

Vampire: Political intrigue
Werewolf: Captain planet
Hunter: Survive and destroy the monsters in your community, get killed by a dumb mistake three sessions in
Standard WOD: horror movie the TT-RPG, get killed by a dumb mistake session one, end up playing something else session 2 with same characters.
Mage: The matrix by way of harry potter

Demon:?
Mummy:?
Promethean: Seems like this would be a lot of personal development stuff, but how do you manage to do this with a group of people without it being boring for people not being focused on?
Wraith: Above except dead people and moving on?
Changeling: Promethean except people who are way too into celtic stuff?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Changeling the Lost is about coping with lost youth and the trauma of being an abuse survivor who is trying to return to human life.

Promethean the Created is about being something that reality rejects but despite literally everything being against you, you can someday become human as long as you hold out hope and continue on your pilgrimage.

Mummy is about being a tool for others to accomplish goals and you're always losing your memories unless you cooperate and you struggle with who you really even are since you don't know what year it'll be next time you wake up and which things you'll have remembered and which you'll have forgotten, just that you will be very strong and have a task to accomplish before getting to return to sleep.

Demon is about a cog in a machine gaining self-awareness and escaping from the machine and having to deal with troubles of keeping a stable identity among the humans while avoiding being taken out by the rest of the machine's gears who recognize your self-awareness as a flaw and that it is time for you to be recycled.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

While there is some nature-mythology connection in Forsaken, I really wouldn't characterize it as "Captain Planet." That's much more an Apocalypse thing, and you seem to be talking about Chronicles and not World.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
I'm about to run Awakening for the first time, and I have a question about the spellcasting mechanics:

Certain spells that do things like Tune In or like Oath Fulfilled don't seem to have any use for Potency. Is Potency still used when determining spell factors for casting?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Defenestrategy posted:

I guess I'm tired of having to ask this every time splat books get discussed, so can people explain how the stories work in practice.

Vampire: Political intrigue
Werewolf: Captain planet
Hunter: Survive and destroy the monsters in your community, get killed by a dumb mistake three sessions in
Standard WOD: horror movie the TT-RPG, get killed by a dumb mistake session one, end up playing something else session 2 with same characters.
Mage: The matrix by way of harry potter

Demon:?

Promethean: Seems like this would be a lot of personal development stuff, but how do you manage to do this with a group of people without it being boring for people not being focused on?

Changeling: Promethean except people who are way too into celtic stuff?

Demon is most designed as a spy thriller. You are small, you are sneaky, you are being hunted by an incredibly powerful but also incredibly stupid conspiracy. Demons have an absolutely incredible depth of options for how to influence people and disguise one action as another, and have easily the most powerful options in any line for disguises. They do have the ability to fight a crazy fight, but this is a very limited resource with significant potential blowback, and so it ties into the broader feeling of the mechanics: you go loud because you were forced into a corner or because you've encountered a very limited place where it's justified to gently caress your own self up that bad to get it done. Demons themselves are divided by motivation - some are utopian separatists, some are trying to destroy the conspiracy in a direct way, and some are trying to figure out how to get back into the conspiracy.

Promethean does involve a ton of personal development, but it has been the least boring campaign I've run (OK Wanderhome was even more so). Prometheans are extremely thematically trans: they were born one way and they are striving to be another. Group play turns out to be very good in my experience because this means that the players end up discussing amongst themselves their own journeys of self discovery, and learning to rely on and love others is a fundamental part of developing as a human (individualistic personal development is a dead end for a social animal, after all).

Changeling I'm less familiar with, having not actually played a campaign about it, but it's more about being a survivor. Prometheans have less "history" than most humans, Changelings have considerably more. Where they're similar is that they're both rather existential, but Promethean is the most optimistic RPG I've ever played to an almost distressing extent, while Changeling is frankly kind of rough.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

I'm about to run Awakening for the first time, and I have a question about the spellcasting mechanics:

Certain spells that do things like Tune In or like Oath Fulfilled don't seem to have any use for Potency. Is Potency still used when determining spell factors for casting?

Every spell has at least Potency 1 as precondition for existing at all. For spells that don't have a direct use for Potency like the ones you mention, you can leave it there to avoid dice penalties. However, stuff like Dispel Magic faces off against a spell's Potency, so it would be trivially easy for someone to shut it down. For short/instantaneous spells that feed you information, it is generally safe to not care about Potency.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 13, 2022

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, No.

I didn't think my opinion of Matt Dawkins could get any lower after Eggdick lovecraft man yet here we are.

Oh, wait until you read Khaldoun Khalil's runins with Dawkins and the covering for institutionalized racism at OPP.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/racism-and-onyx-39912924

My thoughts are yes, it was almost assuredly racist, he's being polite/professional (model minority mindset) by not enumerating the details. I have been in the same situation myself, and you can be labeled "problematic" or "troublesome" super easily as a minority and just get ganged on and boycotted to hell, so the relatively vague and tame language is basically trying to not whip up a shitstorm in an attempt to let the company save face so you're not some angry little darkie trying to smear them/specific employees with details of horrible comments.

Dawkins helped cover it up by lying about the comments, then essentially telling the author to "get over it" when called out on it.

Classy!

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 13, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Promethean is a good game but I agree strongly with the "so optimistic it's almost distressing" assessment. Being a Promethean is basically an unbearable purgatory you're born into and your only option is to transform into something else. Anyone who gives up on that transformation or finds it beyond their means is either going through a temporary period of despair and not thinking rationally, or has become a monster in truth.

It sucks to be a Promethean -- you're a living powder keg who almost literally can't have friends (except for others who are broken in exactly the same way you are), who poisons everything around them, and who only exists to die and be reborn as something better (who won't remember being a Promethean, but will live the life you never could). The optimism, therefore, is entirely centered on the possibility of becoming something else.

The game goes to great lengths to establish that attaining the New Dawn is rare, too personal to easily replicate, and poorly understood -- but always possible. So it's optimistic in the sense of there being a way to achieve your goal, but very little support for wondering if that goal is really something good or worth the cost. (Because if you indulge that line of thinking you're on the fast track to becoming a Centimanus.)

Which is great if all you're looking for is a horror premise, but becomes kind of dubious if you try to map it to queer or disabled experiences -- which Promethean frequently does, at least implicitly. Now, granted, for some people I think the fundamental unfairness in this setup and the particular aspiration the New Dawn represents resonates, and being Promethean isn't explicitly a metaphor for queerness or disability, and when it is invoked it's often to explain the trauma their creators left them with rather than their fundamental nature as supernatural beings. It's not a premise I'd throw out wholesale or dismiss as hopelessly problematic, just a pitfall you have to navigate very carefully.

But personally I did not enjoy actually playing Promethean very much, and my attempt to make a Promethean character who was skeptical of the New Dawn basically only left narcissistic villainy as a mechanical and narrative option -- and even once I went "sure, okay" and leaned into that, I ended up with a character arc that probably would have worked a lot better for a Vampire. There just isn't much room in the game for anything but being reborn in fire.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 13, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Werewolf: The Forsaken is neighborhood watch in Silent Hill. It's really cool.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

It is. WtF made me actually want to play a woof - shaking down spirits, negotiating with eldritch abominations, eating a bag of shattered glass and using it to make sounds out of first language

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, has anybody gotten further into the Lore of the Traditions previews than the tiny dip I took, as the Kickstarter gets close to its ending?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Promethean is a good game but I agree strongly with the "so optimistic it's almost distressing" assessment. Being a Promethean is basically an unbearable purgatory you're born into and your only option is to transform into something else. Anyone who gives up on that transformation or finds it beyond their means is either going through a temporary period of despair and not thinking rationally, or has become a monster in truth.

It sucks to be a Promethean -- you're a living powder keg who almost literally can't have friends (except for others who are broken in exactly the same way you are), who poisons everything around them, and who only exists to die and be reborn as something better (who won't remember being a Promethean, but will live the life you never could). The optimism, therefore, is entirely centered on the possibility of becoming something else.

The game goes to great lengths to establish that attaining the New Dawn is rare, too personal to easily replicate, and poorly understood -- but always possible. So it's optimistic in the sense of there being a way to achieve your goal, but very little support for wondering if that goal is really something good or worth the cost. (Because if you indulge that line of thinking you're on the fast track to becoming a Centimanus.)

Which is great if all you're looking for is a horror premise, but becomes kind of dubious if you try to map it to queer or disabled experiences -- which Promethean frequently does, at least implicitly. Now, granted, for some people I think the fundamental unfairness in this setup and the particular aspiration the New Dawn represents resonates, and being Promethean isn't explicitly a metaphor for queerness or disability, and when it is invoked it's often to explain the trauma their creators left them with rather than their fundamental nature as supernatural beings. It's not a premise I'd throw out wholesale or dismiss as hopelessly problematic, just a pitfall you have to navigate very carefully.

But personally I did not enjoy actually playing Promethean very much, and my attempt to make a Promethean character who was skeptical of the New Dawn basically only left narcissistic villainy as a mechanical and narrative option -- and even once I went "sure, okay" and leaned into that, I ended up with a character arc that probably would have worked a lot better for a Vampire. There just isn't much room in the game for anything but being reborn in fire.

Oof yeah.

I think part of why it's worked so well for me and my group is that it's so unambiguous about a particular narrative arc: your character has a deep, overwhelming desire to become a human. Part of character creation, arguably the part we spent the longest on, was that each of them had to articulate what's so great about being human? For a bunch of depressed 30somethings, this is an incredibly tough and troubling question.

The centrality of that is probably a lot of why I tend to think of it as a very trans game. As a cis man, I could not reasonably articulate to you any particularly compelling reasons that being a man is great. I can point to aspects of male privilege that are nice e.g. higher wages, and I can point to kind of surface level things I like e.g. having a beard, but my friends that are trans men have way more impressive, thoughtful answers than me. That's where the parallel kicks in: I was born a human and have always been a human, and I do not have a standpoint on which I could understand why somebody would want to grow to have that in common in with me. A Promethean is a person who does have that standpoint, and so creating a Promethean means empathizing with an other who wants what you have, meaning you have to figure out what you have that's so great.

I don't know how much further I'd want to push the allegory than that but it's something that's been very meaningful to me, as a person with a cis person who has a lot of trans friends and can only really understand their experience through inevitably imperfect empathy, and as a depressed person who, objectively, doesn't have it that bad. Having to articulate "OK so taking for granted that somebody wants to have certain things in common with me, why me" is a really great exercise and has driven my players in some really fun directions.

Promethean isn't my favorite RPG and I definitely have criticisms of it, I just don't think they're nearly as interesting or provocative as what I like about the game (for example, I think the underlying core system just kind of sucks. That is...a very boring criticism, especially to bring up in the world of darkness thread).

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Also, as a trans person and someone who's an anxious mess in a way that gels with what Promethean's doing but never played it themselves, I'll give the game this much. As the game became more intentionally trans-coded (or at least more aware trans people exist), it also became less focused on how becoming human erases your current self entirely. Those elements are still there, but I do feel like they did get meaningfully better at not making that part feel weirdly sad over time.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Digital Osmosis posted:

paradox should have sent somebody to brighton asap to get a contract with za/um after the discolike game won the thingie, just saying

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ZA/UM will provide bespoke drops of $500 limited editions hand-made by a bookbinder in Estonia. The full rules will not be otherwise available, although there will be an SRD equivalent. There will be rules on how to use your Net Worth instead of gold coins to purchase potions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The GM of my CTL game calls it PTSD: The Home Game. You're a bunch of alien abduction victims with emotion fuelled magic trying to get by and stay remotely sane while hiding from your incredibly powerful and horrifyingly alien abusers and deal with each others' endless bullshit on top of your own.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Still a better game than The Dreaming, even if it's often cringey and :yikes:.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Still a better game than The Dreaming, even if it's often cringey and :yikes:.

To the people out there who read this and have Changeling: the Dreaming as their favorite game line — I see you. Let me be clear, I'm not one of you, but you are not forgotten. Unfavorable Reception Fave Solidarity.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am finally reading Beckett's Jyhad Diary and it's a very fun read; it's personally the best tone I've ever read in Vampire, the pulp calibrated to almost perfection. Just lmao that it took 20+ years of refinement to get here though, white wolf could certainly benefit from more reads like these.

(also: just another monumental lol that for every book like this, I seem to have to trudge through a wagon of the bad white wolf littérature before stumbling into another Horror Recognition Guide, a very peculiar curse)

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The GM of my CTL game calls it PTSD: The Home Game. You're a bunch of alien abduction victims with emotion fuelled magic trying to get by and stay remotely sane while hiding from your incredibly powerful and horrifyingly alien abusers and deal with each others' endless bullshit on top of your own.

Says you. I'm going to crush Mickey Mouse's skull with a cold iron wrench then go sailing with a friendly hob goose named Steve.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

To the people out there who read this and have Changeling: the Dreaming as their favorite game line — I see you. Let me be clear, I'm not one of you, but you are not forgotten. Unfavorable Reception Fave Solidarity.

I mean, the Dreaming is still a fine game, it's just the Lost is way better, in terms of plot, setup, and vibe. True Fae in CoD are loving terrifying.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Just had the terrible thought that the SA forums has a reflection in the Umbra

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah, it's called 8chan and it's in the Thousand Hells.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

catlady gbs but the catlady is Grandmaw

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, it's called 8chan and it's in the Thousand Hells.

:magical:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dammit Who? posted:

Says you. I'm going to crush Mickey Mouse's skull with a cold iron wrench then go sailing with a friendly hob goose named Steve.

It can be both in the same game. :colbert:

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

So, has anybody gotten further into the Lore of the Traditions previews than the tiny dip I took, as the Kickstarter gets close to its ending?

I mean, it's basically what you'd expect from an M20 book. Anything specific you're interested in?

M20 gonna be M20 posted:

NFTs (Non-Fungible Tass/Talismans)
(•••Mind/ ••Prime; optional ••••Time/ •••Entropy; optional ••Data)
(This rote isn't as bad as its name, but I wanted to share an authentic experience of reading the manuscript previews.)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Who's rote is it? It's the VA they can just be punched for it, if it's the Technocracy well yeah they're the villains.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Five Eyes posted:

I mean, it's basically what you'd expect from an M20 book. Anything specific you're interested in?

(This rote isn't as bad as its name, but I wanted to share an authentic experience of reading the manuscript previews.)

I'm mostly just wondering to myself whether I'm going to buy it out of a sick fascination and a general sense of "well, it can't possibly be worse than some of the 'authentic' Ascension books I've already collected."

Is Mage 20th Anniversary worse than Blood Treachery? That's a hard question to answer!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

From this week's Monday Meeting Notes, looks like Awakening isn't actually vaporware!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm mostly just wondering to myself whether I'm going to buy it out of a sick fascination and a general sense of "well, it can't possibly be worse than some of the 'authentic' Ascension books I've already collected."

Is Mage 20th Anniversary worse than Blood Treachery? That's a hard question to answer!
How terrible was Blood Treachery? I'm at least familiar with M20 being an objectively bad game.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

How terrible was Blood Treachery? I'm at least familiar with M20 being an objectively bad game.

Blood Treachery is a book about mages (the Order of Hermes) going to war against vampire wizards (the Tremere). They decide that the best way to carry out this war is to storm the vampire chantries, at night, with guns.

It also has the entire plot spelled out in the form of a multi-act play with the Oracles acting the part of the Greek chorus, which means that literally everything important happens and the war ends (and is revealed as pointless) without your player characters having the chance to do anything.

It also discusses the rules for mages becoming ghouls, as written by someone who thought that the whole thing was such a disgusting exercise in powergaming that the rules are in effect: "Nothing! You get nothing! You lose all your wizard powers and then you die."

It also discusses various ways that mages could try to curse vampirism, and then at the end mentions "but none of these will work because mages can't roll more successes than God."

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Rand Brittain posted:

"but none of these will work because mages can't roll more successes than God."

Psh, that's what they think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rand Brittain posted:

Blood Treachery is a book about mages (the Order of Hermes) going to war against vampire wizards (the Tremere). They decide that the best way to carry out this war is to storm the vampire chantries, at night, with guns.

It also has the entire plot spelled out in the form of a multi-act play with the Oracles acting the part of the Greek chorus, which means that literally everything important happens and the war ends (and is revealed as pointless) without your player characters having the chance to do anything.

It also discusses the rules for mages becoming ghouls, as written by someone who thought that the whole thing was such a disgusting exercise in powergaming that the rules are in effect: "Nothing! You get nothing! You lose all your wizard powers and then you die."

It also discusses various ways that mages could try to curse vampirism, and then at the end mentions "but none of these will work because mages can't roll more successes than God."

The best part is that the rules to be a Mage Revenant didn't exist before the guy went on a rant about how much of a bad idea it was... giving it rules.