Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
The netcode is extremely hit or miss. It depends entirely on who you are trying to play with, and where they are, all of your NAT settings, whether or not mercury is in retrograde, etc. That's just what (very poorly written) P2P netcode does.

For me in the midwest US, winging with some euro-frogs is just dogshit. Some it's fine. In space things *generally* work okay for the most part. On foot there's a lot of rubber-banding if there's more than 3 players present.

We did find we can abuse the odyssey mechanics to smuggle players who are hostile to a faction into a previously inaccessible port so they can turn in missions/cbonds, though. Looking forward to fleet carrier interiors so we can streamline that process a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Yeah true, it is worse with Odyssey content. Space CZs get a fair amount of lag and rubberbanding sometimes but with the distances and total lack of obstacles involved it's not as noticeable - there's less stuff to break. In ground CZs it's consistently been an absolute shitshow as soon as more than 1 person was present.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

marktheando posted:

Edit- is the krait mark 2 the best choice if i want a medium ship with a fighter bay for PVE against pirates and combat zones? I'm bad at combat so I want something with loads of shields and loads of guns, and a fighter bay cos they are fun.

Idk about best but it's sure fun!! I've got mine with a mix of multi cannons and beam lasers for dakka and pew pew (one thermal vent laser is nice to dump heat, one corrosive multi cannon makes a big ttk difference) but ultimately an all multicannon build is probably "best." That said it's easy elite PvE, if you've got some engineering then you can use any weapons you like.

For your pilot, if you're able to grind out some easy content, buying a harmless pilot and leveling them up will be cheaper than buying them at elite. I've got a gu-97 with fixed beams and heat sinks which is best once your pilot is higher level, but earlier level you might want a different option. I also like one of the guardian fighters, the railgun one, because it's super fun to fly, though the gutamaya is strictly better for pve.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

the gently caress is odyssey i haven't actually touched elite in a while

Here u go

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Tommy the Newt posted:

Desync, crashing and poor performance while instanced with people is a fact of life in Elite, sadly. This isn't really an Odyssey-related issue, it's plagued multi-crew and wings since forever (actually has been getting worse in some ways). So try again in infinity patches, really. Performance and gameplay (maybe de-grindification) might improve but Elite's functionality and stability as a multiplayer game is always going to be feeble.

welp that's a bummer

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Tommy the Newt posted:

Yeah true, it is worse with Odyssey content. Space CZs get a fair amount of lag and rubberbanding sometimes but with the distances and total lack of obstacles involved it's not as noticeable - there's less stuff to break. In ground CZs it's consistently been an absolute shitshow as soon as more than 1 person was present.

Yeah most of the time we can space CZ all night and only have it break like half the time. I've never done a ground CZ with other people where the game didn't completely poo poo itself and make the CZ uncompletable. People phasing in and out of existence, group being split in to two different instances midway through, invincible players, score counter freezing, my chat breaking, two simultaneous CZs running at once at the same site etc. etc.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
In space the "breaking" is mostly just "the space CZ stopped progressing, someone has to jump out to supercruise and drop back in and then everything works again". Not a deal breaker just an irksome interruption.

Capships are a bit weird, because someone has to jump, but it's not obvious who. So you can either ignore it (the smart move) or have each person jump in/out in turn.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I don't really do pvp or coop, but it sounds like I might wait for a 50% deal or something before grabbing Odyssey. Thanks for the feedback!

Gonna have to wait anyway since I've got the wheel set up for Forza, and I sure as hell don't have space for both HOTAS and wheel.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It could be worse, you could have bought the lifetime expansion pass :negative:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Have they said anything at all about planning a third expansion?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Personally I would like them to expand the game to a finished state. I mean, I like it, don't get me wrong. But I never really thought that the modern version of elite would basically be the exact same game as the one with the wireframe models lol. The presentation is a billion times prettier and there's more steps... But it mostly plays the same. I've owned it for like 5 years and it feels like it's in early access still. I'm not a fan of that.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
All of the best-received updates were overhauls of core features. Nu-mining, nu-exporation, the CZ revamp, BGS expansions etc. Pretty much everyone was happy about that stuff because it was the game being refined and fleshed out. What their money dudes think though (probably correctly) is that what gets more sales are janky new features that are only tangentially related to the core content, if at all.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Wibla posted:

Oh boy, that one got real expensive near the end, huh.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Wibla posted:

I bought it, no regrets. Mainly because the card I charged it to went into the bin with a post-divorce bankruptcy. Weeeeeeee!!!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Oh boy, that one got real expensive near the end, huh.

Yeeeeep :downs:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

my dad had a cracked copy of elite 2 on his atari ST, has a flashing marquee saying "CRACKED BY [whoever the gently caress, i forgot]" at the bottom of the menu screen
its pretty cool, ill post photos if i ever get this CRT tv i bought for the ST to tune

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

hbag posted:

my dad had a cracked copy of elite 2 on his atari ST, has a flashing marquee saying "CRACKED BY [whoever the gently caress, i forgot]" at the bottom of the menu screen
its pretty cool, ill post photos if i ever get this CRT tv i bought for the ST to tune

I have a legit copy for my Amiga, including the huge star map :3:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Did those games crash and gently caress up whenever you went into a jump

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ichabod Tane posted:

Yes but only because of cat hair in the tape drive, again

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

lobsterminator posted:

I have a legit copy for my Amiga, including the huge star map :3:

the most userfriendly map i've seen from them, tbh

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Managed to make 60 mil in an hour or two by finding a reasonably lucrative trade route, but wondering if shipping meta alloys is even better

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Speaking of Odyssey, is there anything you can do consistently for ground that helps Diamond Frogs? Or is basically all ground content still harmful to anarchies? I love the ground stuff more than I should but after upgrading everything I need some reason, any reason, to go kill mans on foot.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Going and loving up other people's settlements in our systems is always good for us. Running ground missions issued by DF is good for us. loving up our settlements is bad for us. When we're at war, fighting ground wars against us is good for us (pushes us towards losing that ground settlement at the end of the war, meaning fewer places other people can go gently caress up) but definitely don't turn the bonds in (pushes us towards losing the war overall).

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Hakarne posted:

Speaking of Odyssey, is there anything you can do consistently for ground that helps Diamond Frogs? Or is basically all ground content still harmful to anarchies? I love the ground stuff more than I should but after upgrading everything I need some reason, any reason, to go kill mans on foot.

It's more or less fine to run foot missions for us now. Combat zones for us are still bad news and cause us a lot of trouble. The most useful thing that foot combat brings is being able to attack factions that we want to drop the inf of in a system: Repeated base power shutdowns and stealing the regulator seems to have the biggest effect, more than just killing all the dudes there. It's a worthwhile thing to do if you need to grind tech components for upgrades.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
If you want to help frogs fighting on foot in wars, you definitely need to be in the discord. If we see some rando we don't recognize we will light you up.

also, you CAN turn in the bonds *after* the war is over. I usually make a couple hundred million alone per war just from that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Worf posted:

the krait mk2 is a ship that you should just buy and use and not bother hesitating. its fun regardless imho, i didnt get it until after i had tried most of the other ships in the game but i wish i had

pork never goes bad posted:

Idk about best but it's sure fun!! I've got mine with a mix of multi cannons and beam lasers for dakka and pew pew (one thermal vent laser is nice to dump heat, one corrosive multi cannon makes a big ttk difference) but ultimately an all multicannon build is probably "best." That said it's easy elite PvE, if you've got some engineering then you can use any weapons you like.

For your pilot, if you're able to grind out some easy content, buying a harmless pilot and leveling them up will be cheaper than buying them at elite. I've got a gu-97 with fixed beams and heat sinks which is best once your pilot is higher level, but earlier level you might want a different option. I also like one of the guardian fighters, the railgun one, because it's super fun to fly, though the gutamaya is strictly better for pve.

Cool, gonna buy that krait mk 2. My cutter is cool but i want something to do wars and pirate killing in that doesn't need a large pad.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Oh sweet I'm glad ground missions can help us now. The word on Odyssey release was to avoid anything ground if it touched DF because even things that should be good ended up being bad somehow. Glad that got (mostly) sorted at least. For ground CZs do you still only try to have 1 or 2 fights against DF so it doesn't tilt the tick too far? Or can I just chain run ground CZs against DF without too much worry?

Also I'm in the discord, I just go through a cycle of wanting to play a lot and then leaving for 3-4 months before getting the strong urge to lose myself in space again.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Hakarne posted:

Oh sweet I'm glad ground missions can help us now. The word on Odyssey release was to avoid anything ground if it touched DF because even things that should be good ended up being bad somehow. Glad that got (mostly) sorted at least. For ground CZs do you still only try to have 1 or 2 fights against DF so it doesn't tilt the tick too far? Or can I just chain run ground CZs against DF without too much worry?

Also I'm in the discord, I just go through a cycle of wanting to play a lot and then leaving for 3-4 months before getting the strong urge to lose myself in space again.

You fight against DF, but most importantly, you do NOT turn in the bonds until the war is over. Just check in w/ us on discord before you go merrily into the fray tho.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

You fight against DF, but most importantly, you do NOT turn in the bonds until the war is over. Just check in w/ us on discord before you go merrily into the fray tho.

Oh yeah I always check discord before blindly :black101: in frog wars.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I haven't played this game in a while because of Odyssey and it's poo poo show, and I didn't buy it either, but I want to understand something: You help DF by fighting against them on ground missions?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

marktheando posted:

Cool, gonna buy that krait mk 2.

my friend... welcome to the cool kids club :c00lbert: (edit: but only if you paint it purple or yellow)

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 10, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Vasler posted:

I haven't played this game in a while because of Odyssey and it's poo poo show, and I didn't buy it either, but I want to understand something: You help DF by fighting against them on ground missions?

No, only in wars. After a war, ownership of each ground settlement is determined by who won more ground CZs in that settlement, regardless of who won the overall war. We want to lose ground settlements, because they act as vectors for people to easily hurt us by killing our guys and stealing our poo poo.

People like hitting Anarchy ground settlements, because no laws there means not having to engage with the godawful crime and punishment system. But people also like spreading "law and order", because they're insufferable dorks, so virtually the only place that still has a decent number of Anarchy settlements is our space.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

The netcode is extremely hit or miss. It depends entirely on who you are trying to play with, and where they are, all of your NAT settings, whether or not mercury is in retrograde, etc. That's just what (very poorly written) P2P netcode does.

The netcode in Elite kind of fascinates me because, from what I have heard described about it, it's basically like an implementation of webrtc. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it literally is a webrtc impl using data channels. And as someone who has done a lot of work with webrtc and getting it working on some wacky rear end devices (Hololens/Magic Leap), I loving hate webrtc and am completely unsurprised that people have so many issues with it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe it's just all the posting about Microsoft buyouts lately but it would be sick if Frontier cut a deal to dumpster the peer to peer bullshit in favor of that fancy tech Microsoft uses that just spins up new Azure server instances as needed. All their games are on hosted servers but the queueing feels as snappy as p2p because of it. And also maybe Microsoft would assign more than 4 people to work on Elite.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Project like that would probably make Notch's spaghetti code kind of nice to work with in comparison.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm sure that Star Citizen would be acquired long before E:D.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

super sweet best pal posted:

I'm sure that Star Citizen would be acquired long before E:D.

this seems like buying a nest of future lawsuits

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, Star Citizen is balanced on the razor edge of a perfect grift. The fact that they're under an AAA publisher is one of the things that keep them going.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Ichabod Tane posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier:_Elite_II

quote:

The game featured a famous "wormhole" bug: Normally a ship's hyperdrive has a range of about 15 light years at most, so planetary systems dozens of light years away are too far to reach in one hyperspace jump. However, if the player happened to find a system 655.36 to 670.36 light years away, it would be counted by the game as within the "15 light year" range. This would also happen for systems slightly beyond 1310.72 light years, 1966.08 light years, and other multiples of 655.36. With a bit of careful triangulation it was usually possible to get near or directly to a destination system any distance away by means of just two such "wormhole" jumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I was working on my Exploraconda back in October and was building and outfitting everything to the specs I had saved, but I lost it all so I had to improvise with what was left. Can someone please take a look and tell me what to fix on this? My power usage is high and I'm pretty sure my modules aren't exactly right, and I'm not sure about the engineering either.

https://s.orbis.zone/ic_h