Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Half husky, half American Akita, 2 years old.

I am not fond of small dogs because I might trip or tread on them. The tradeoff is losing at least 1/3rd of bed space, and his endearing habit of climbing on top of me then flopping down for a cuddle. Because we knew he'd be relatively big and also quite cheeky, we nipped any aggression in the bud when he was a puppy - the result is dogs with small dog syndrome sometimes pick on him without reprisal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Half husky, half American Akita, 2 years old.

I am not fond of small dogs because I might trip or tread on them. The tradeoff is losing at least 1/3rd of bed space, and his endearing habit of climbing on top of me then flopping down for a cuddle. Because we knew he'd be relatively big and also quite cheeky, we nipped any aggression in the bud when he was a puppy - the result is dogs with small dog syndrome sometimes pick on him without reprisal.

Does he sing like a husky or an akita?

E: I love trolling this thread for dog horses, thank you all for posting your big bois

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

ILL Machina posted:

Does he sing like a husky or an akita?

Very regrettably not!

Our malamute/collie cross before him sung plenty and was very vocal, we loved it. This boy does not - he'll huff and he'll bark when guarding, he'll also howl in his sleep, but not whilst he's awake. We've managed to get him to howl by playing audio of other dogs howling and joining in ourselves. Our neigbours must have thought we were mad.

Oh and he loving HATES one of my grandmothers, for no good reason. He doesn't want us to be around her, he'll growl and bark. She's just a little old lady. He's only met her a couple of times, never had a bad experience with her.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jan 7, 2022

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Very regrettably not!

Our malamute/collie cross before him sung plenty and was very vocal, we loved it. This boy does not - he'll huff and he'll bark when guarding, he'll also howl in his sleep, but not whilst he's awake. We've managed to get him to howl by playing audio of other dogs howling and joining in ourselves. Our neigbours must have thought we were mad.

Oh and he loving HATES one of my grandmothers, for no good reason. He doesn't want us to be around her, he'll growl and bark. She's just a little old lady. He's only met her a couple of times, never had a bad experience with her.

Does she use a perfume or fragrance he might not like?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Not that I've noticed, and knowing her I think it's unlikely. She's a small lady who lives in a very rural place, might smell of chickens and livestock, and it's possible that some of us are a bit on edge in terms of our demeanour. He seems to think we need to be protected from her and my partner suggested that he's just saying what everyone's thinking. She seems to assume he's generally like this and we've not had the heart to tell her that of the hundreds of people he's met and loved, she's the only one he's ever had a problem with.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

This was like the 2nd or 3rd day after we brought him home

This is now a little over a year later lol

From 22 pounds to 145 pounds in a little over a year. I miss the little tiny Watson lol

We are getting artificial turf installed in our backyard next week and I can't loving wait.

It currently looks likes this

Because between Watson and his brother Oliver

I cannot get grass to grow anymore so we said gently caress it and are doing dog proof turf. It's expensive as poo poo but it'll be worth it in the long run and we don't plan on moving out of this house probably ever so it's an investment that we're willing to make. They start on monday and it should be a 4-5 day process.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Not mine but I ran across this and thought of y'all

https://i.imgur.com/ION5vt4.mp4

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I cut down some overgrown pine trees in my backyard, and now it is her favorite lookout spot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I cut down some overgrown pine trees in my backyard, and now it is her favorite lookout spot.

You should totally leave the stump there and put some little stairs on it or something so she can climb up and sit atop it and look down upon all she surveys :allears:.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Watson is loving his new backyard

We turfed like 1800 sqft of it because him and his brother were just tearing up the grass.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What a good boy :3:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Please tell him I love him.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

He was afraid of the wind in the night so wanted to sleep on our bed, which is only a regular double and not king size. It wasn't convenient, but I couldn't say no.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

One large and one extra large doggo just living their best lives.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Big dog, little dog

Pongo’s facial expression cracks me up

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Beginning of the end for our boy Egon. 2 Fridays ago he stopped eating and had very labored breathing. Turns out it's congestive heart failure. His IBD meds have been causing him to retain too much water and it's started loving with his heart's ability to pump properly. 3 days later he was eating again, though he needed to be hand fed, and today he's finally just eating out of his bowl as usual. He's on something like 2 dozen pills a day to combat the IBD and heart issues now. Tomorrow we go to the cardiologist to see what his prospects are for the near future.

Just loving sucks cuz he's still happy and energetic. Loves his treats and chasing those bastard squirrels out of the back yard. We've managed his IBD for over 6 years now and he's been pretty stable and this heart failure diagnosis just hit us out of nowhere.

I'm sure he's nowhere near as happy as he lets on and that's tragic. He's so upbeat all the time but he must be feeling like absolute hell with all the stuff he's going through.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Don’t mind me, just checking out the neighbors

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Being this is the thread for enjoyers of big dogs, have any of you ever wished there was some sort of baby bjorn for big dogs? I definitely haven't wished I could carry mine around like a backbreakingly large infant but sometimes I have.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Ladybug is a somewhat recent addition to the neighborhood.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Dog on a rock.

Same dog, same rock, 2 years ago.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

10/10 dog and view. Where is that?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Apparently a delightful place for murdering people.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

This dog.....

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

mattfl posted:

This dog.....

...Deserves their own couch, all the treats and all the pets in the world. Is how I hope that sentence ends because that is a huge dog that is probably also awesome.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Today I said goodbye to this girl. She was my best friend and leaves an unfillable hole in my heart.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Today I said goodbye to this girl. She was my best friend and leaves an unfillable hole in my heart.
I'm sorry for your loss. We carry them with us through the holes they leave behind. We are all better for having seen her today. Thank you for sharing her. Take some time to grieve.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

That's a big hole. What a joy to have met her today, thank you. Treat yourself well as best you can.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Saw at Lowe’s, forgot to ask a name. That’s a normal sized adult woman he is standing next to, absolute unit

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

My other large doggo is just so photogenic

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is London we are like 90% sure she’s a Great Dane but she’s a rescue so we can’t be for sure unless we DNA test her.

This was when we first got her at the beginning of August.

These are more recent pictures. She’s 5 1/2 months old and about 65 lbs lol

first day of puppy school

First long car trip to big bear.

Enjoying the cabin in big bear

Waiting for mom to come back with a coffee during our walk.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That's definitely a Dane.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That's definitely a Dane.

Yeah I’m pretty sure she is

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
those ears :3:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

100% Dane. Enjoy your new horse lol. Watson went from 51 pounds at 4 months to 80 pounds at 6 months so you’re probably right in the middle of her growth spurt, expect her to be closer to 100 pounds in a few months!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mattfl posted:

100% Dane. Enjoy your new horse lol. Watson went from 51 pounds at 4 months to 80 pounds at 6 months so you’re probably right in the middle of her growth spurt, expect her to be closer to 100 pounds in a few months!

lol amazing!

She’s been pretty amazing so far but drat can she be stubborn sometimes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

oh my gosh MarcusSA you have a cute giant dog.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks! She’s been kinda a lot of work trying to get her to leave the cats alone because she always wants to play with them and she’s so big we don’t want her to hurt them. She’s pretty good about it now but she still boops them every so often.

They mostly don’t care about her though so that’s good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks! She’s been kinda a lot of work trying to get her to leave the cats alone because she always wants to play with them and she’s so big we don’t want her to hurt them. She’s pretty good about it now but she still boops them every so often.

They mostly don’t care about her though so that’s good.

Is this your first Dane? We've had 3 so far so if you have any questions specific to the breed please ask! You are also in the age where she's going to be a complete pain in the rear end most of the time lol She'll mellow out at about 2 years old :)