Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Post frog pics.

Here's a cool bug I found as a trade.

Can't believe I just got stickbugged lol in 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
here's a cool spider i saw today spoilered for the spider sensitive

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

:rolleyes:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

i regret every post i have ever made on these forums. but i am also tremendously thankful to this stupid place because otherwise i would have gone posting somewhere else when i was an idiot child, like reddit, or 4chan, and now i would be dead

i only regret some of my posts. most of them. i've blanked out the rest.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Post frog pics.

Here's a cool bug I found as a trade.

i am no longer taking photos because it's idolatry, but that is a very cool bug

thatbastardken posted:

also a very cool spid

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

thatbastardken posted:

:rolleyes:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

thatbastardken posted:

wow, that's cool as gently caress

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

spiders are just lovely creatures

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Goons Are Great posted:

spiders are just lovely creatures

I don't think that, but I stopped using the bog because a spider made a web between the scrubbing brush and the wall and I might kick it.

(I have another toilet seat in the bathroom; I didn't just stop making GBS threads.)

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
australian spiders are gorgeous, we are blessed with spiders. occasionally they're the size of my hand and that's a problem for me, but most of them are just these exquisite harmless little bejewelled creatures. where i'm living now has peacock spiders and they are so beautiful. i haven't seen one doing the mating display like a turkey yet, but i've seen them signalling to each other from neighbouring blades of grass by waving their pompoms in a complex and incomprehensible language of dance

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

BHB posted:

special chicken photos!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Jumping Spiders best spoods.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1492108776350097409

this senile pervert is starving people to death!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

you got lost on the way to usnews

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
??

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
this is a place to talk about the sins of empire, whatever that empire may be

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
in fulfilment of the ancient text, i am now at war with king david

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
i accept my inevitable death, getting tangled in a tree by my luxurious hair and cut down by monarchists like a pińata

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You have the inevitable part right, at least

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i accept my inevitable death, getting tangled in a tree by my luxurious hair and cut down by monarchists like a pińata

maybe if you tie your hair in a bun?

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

maybe if you tie your hair in a bun?
the revolution must be glam

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
david may have been a decent general but his personal life was a catastrophe

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i blame saul for setting a really bad example

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's strange to think some of the projects i'm working on now probably won't be completed till i'm nearing retirement

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's strange to think some of the projects i'm working on now probably won't be completed till i'm nearing retirement

this is what you call job security, isn't it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

have you tried not posting during office hours

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

V. Illych L. posted:

this is what you call job security, isn't it

well we could also have the republicans come into power at the state level and slash the budget of all ongoing projects in a series of vindictive culture war moves. a lot of the real long term projects are dam removals, which conservatives hate even though the dams are no longer functional as power generators or water reservoirs

cinci zoo sniper posted:

have you tried not posting during office hours

as a government employee i think that day posting was part of the oath i swore? i don't remember

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the weirdest thing about environmental work is training yourself to think in geological time. especially when you're still constrained and beholden to idiots who think in financial time (i.e., everything is immediate, there is no long term).

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

well we could also have the republicans come into power at the state level and slash the budget of all ongoing projects in a series of vindictive culture war moves. a lot of the real long term projects are dam removals, which conservatives hate even though the dams are no longer functional as power generators or water reservoirs
thank you for helping the fish :unsmith:

i would love to hear more details about what you do, although i know you can't share much at all for fear of identification

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i blame saul for setting a really bad example
saul was a hot mess but his kids seemed more well-adjusted than david's

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

the weirdest thing about environmental work is training yourself to think in geological time. especially when you're still constrained and beholden to idiots who think in financial time (i.e., everything is immediate, there is no long term).

thank you for helping the fish :unsmith:

i would love to hear more details about what you do, although i know you can't share much at all for fear of identification

well in this specific instance is more thinking in terms of government time. i'm thinking about an end to construction, not even the when all the natural process start to stabilize. and the wild thing is, all these projects have like one or two decades of folks laying the groundwork to even get us to this point

i'm involved in a lot of stuff, from dealing with members of the public who have questions or concerns, to helping coordinate day to day maintenance, to grant writing, to helping with the coordination of permitting and project management. it's a very small team covering a wide geographic area, so there's a lot of just ad hoc work that rises out of the day to day and week to week. luckily i'm not at a level where i have to think about very long-term planning or budgetary fights or things along those lines

saul was a hot mess but his kids seemed more well-adjusted than david's

wikipedia posted:

On two occasions, Saul threw a spear at David as he played the harp for Saul. David becomes increasingly successful and Saul becomes increasingly resentful. Now Saul actively plots against David. Saul offered his other daughter, Michal in marriage to David. David initially rejects this offer also, claiming he is too poor. Saul offers to accept a bride price of 100 Philistine foreskins, intending that David die in the attempt. Instead, David obtains 200 foreskins and is consequently married to Michal. Jonathan arranges a short-lived reconciliation between Saul and David and for a while David served Saul "as in times past"[46] until "the distressing spirit from the Lord" re-appeared. Saul sends assassins in the night, but Michal helps him escape, tricking them by placing a household idol in his bed. David flees to Jonathan, who arranges a meeting with his father. While dining with Saul, Jonathan explains David's absence, saying he has been called away to his brothers. But Saul sees through the ruse and reprimands Jonathan for protecting David, warning him that his love of David will cost him the kingdom, furiously throwing a spear at him. The next day, Jonathan meets with David and tells him Saul's intent. The two friends say their goodbyes, and David flees into the countryside. Saul later marries Michal to another man.

amazing that saul's kids were so well adjusted when he was constantly throwing spears around the house

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
When you remove a dam do you ever get to just… dynamite that sucker? Or do you have to take it apart more slowly?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
dams are built to be incredibly solid and stable, so you can't implode them like a building. and exploding them with enough force to level the entire thing would take a massive amount of explosives. the dam buster bombs in ww2 used over three tons of high explosives in each bomb, and that was only intend to breach a dam, not completely remove it. generally, you're taking it apart piece by piece with construction equipment. even if you had a small enough dam that leveling it with explosives was physically possible, you'd still have to bring in construction equipment to gather up the massive chunks of concrete and haul them away

plus your ostensibly doing this to help the surrounding habitat, so blowing up everything in the vicinity of the dam is maybe a bad look

edit: i realized i'm coming at this from a very southern california perspective where you're dealing with a ton of sedimentation and very irregular rain events. it might be different in areas with actual water pressure behind the dam, though even then i'd have to imagine it's still just a smaller breaching charge, not blowing the entire thing up

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 18, 2022

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I admit I'm not sure what scale of dam you're talking about removing, so I don't know how hard the process is.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

dams are built to be incredibly solid and stable, so you can't implode them like a building. and exploding them with enough force to level the entire thing would take a massive amount of explosives. the dam buster bombs in ww2 used over three tons of high explosives in each bomb, and that was only intend to breach a dam, not completely remove it. generally, you're taking it apart piece by piece with construction equipment. even if you had a small enough dam that leveling it with explosives was physically possible, you'd still have to bring in construction equipment to gather up the massive chunks of concrete and haul them away

plus your ostensibly doing this to help the surrounding habitat, so blowing up everything in the vicinity of the dam is maybe a bad look

edit: i realized i'm coming at this from a very southern california perspective where you're dealing with a ton of sedimentation and very irregular rain events. it might be different in areas with actual water pressure behind the dam, though even then i'd have to imagine it's still just a smaller breaching charge, not blowing the entire thing up

Up here you need to specify man made dam or beaver dam.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
would have thought you'd start the same way you start building the dam, by diverting the river.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

thatbastardken posted:

would have thought you'd start the same way you start building the dam, by diverting the river.

that's a little more site specific. around here there's usually not much of a river to divert when it's not raining

Furnaceface posted:

Up here you need to specify man made dam or beaver dam.

if you send in someone to explode a beaver dam don't the beavers just end up eating them?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if you send in someone to explode a beaver dam don't the beavers just end up eating them?

Typically they dont explode a beaver dam because more than just beavers live in/around them. They slowly break them apart so as to not disturb too much of the local ecosystem. Also to not flood everyone downstream.

Totally unrelated but now that Canada has gone full pants on head stupid, where is safe to move to? I always thought NZ was the safe place but they were the first country to copy our idiot right wing protestors. Or is nowhere safe from the US meddling?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/catsdogwithduck/status/1493887541916798978

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
A harsh proclamation issued against Kook in 1926 contained letters from three European rabbis in which Yosef Rosin referred to him as an "ignorant bore", Shaul Brach intimated that his Hebrew initials spelt the word "vomit" and likened him to King Jeroboam known for seducing the masses to idolatry, and Eliezer David Greenwald declared him an untrustworthy authority on Jewish law adding that his books were full of heresy and should be burnt.

get him!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

this is really fascinating, i love hearing about your work, you're doing basically my dream career if i was capable of having a career. do you rearrange the blown-up chunks of dam material to form ecosystems?