Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

The United States posted:

What if an ever expanding top hat to allow for ever expanding CPU CLC radiators (and ever expanding GPUs)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2APNNZhX6i4

I will say though that "ultra fine" mesh does not look that fine

I'm sensing some "practical -- affordable -- reliable: pick 2" meme incoming

e: neat, a fitting snipe for the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NZXT just announced the the H1 - Totally Won't Catch on Fire This Time, We Swear Edition

It comes a 750W PSU, a Gen 4 riser cable, and an AIO, for $400. Shipping on the 21st. Kinda expensive for what you're getting, but that's maybe worth it for people who are looking for an NR200P Max-like easy setup process but want a smaller desk footprint.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

looks like the same hotbox tho

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

NZXT just announced the the H1 - Totally Won't Catch on Fire This Time, We Swear Edition

It comes a 750W PSU, a Gen 4 riser cable, and an AIO, for $400. Shipping on the 21st. Kinda expensive for what you're getting, but that's maybe worth it for people who are looking for an NR200P Max-like easy setup process but want a smaller desk footprint.

The price doesn't seem bad, Gen 4 risers are fairly expensive still.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 9, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Now that we need 3 slots for graphics cards, we have basically recreated the mATX case

PSU on top for that nice hit of nostalgia

180mm fan up front for cool breeze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGFKXUuahwo

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
No top fan mounting makes that a hard pass for me tbh

That case seems like too much of a compromise to fit an matx board into a smaller case.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

https://wccftech.com/lian-li-a4-h2o-in-collaboration-with-designs-from-dan-cases/amp/

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I'd definitely be building in the A4-H2O if I didn't have the king of cases (NCASE M1). A lot of great new SFF cases dropping all of a sudden

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sandwich and doesn't support 280mm rads, :mediocre:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ijyt posted:

Sandwich and doesn't support 280mm rads, :mediocre:

Isn't that Dan cases gimmick that it's sandwich?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

No top fan mounting makes that a hard pass for me tbh

That case seems like too much of a compromise to fit an matx board into a smaller case.

It doesn't even support mATX. I wish it did.

Top fan mounts are optional when you have so much airflow in the front, bottom, and back though. Early reviews seem fairly positive on the thermal performance. It helps that you can still fit in a D15 with a 180x35mm fan blasting it with air. That's probably the only case fan you need, honestly, though a 120mm exhaust can't hurt.

The real issue is size. It's mITX-only but 37.5L lol

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't think that's an issue, it's not trying to compete with size minimized boutique cases.

And yeah the former Dan A4 H2O was still trying to be as small as possible, somewhere you have to decide whether you want to size up and allow the next bigger tier of coolers or radiators, or not.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

It doesn't even support mATX. I wish it did.

Top fan mounts are optional when you have so much airflow in the front, bottom, and back though. Early reviews seem fairly positive on the thermal performance. It helps that you can still fit in a D15 with a 180x35mm fan blasting it with air. That's probably the only case fan you need, honestly, though a 120mm exhaust can't hurt.

The real issue is size. It's mITX-only but 37.5L lol

More thinking about radiator mounting.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2022/2/15/22934685/cooler-master-sneaker-x-jmdf-pc-case-mini-x-sff

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

You shared the cool thing and not the abomination?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I like the visual design of the mini x, but i do not like the hole pitch on that side panel. It seems this is a vertical-only arrangement for your GPU, and it's going against a panel that doesn't seem porous enough.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Maybe I'd like it more in person, but I prefer the simplicity of the NR200.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I only want that case if it comes with all the floating metal orbs.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Maybe I'd like it more in person, but I prefer the simplicity of the NR200.

sandwich layout means its a no go for me, not a fan

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Warmachine posted:

You shared the cool thing and not the abomination?

Yeah i sandbagged the poo poo out of that for good reasons

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Also gently caress sake I wish Corsair would release their One box outside of their prebuilt PCs. Its so loving nice

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The United States posted:

What if an ever expanding top hat to allow for ever expanding CPU CLC radiators (and ever expanding GPUs)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2APNNZhX6i4

I will say though that "ultra fine" mesh does not look that fine

Now available for pre-order: https://www.phanteksusa.com/collections/newsletter/products/evolv-shift-xt

$170, comes with a PCIe 4 riser cable, ships in 4 weeks.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

CyberPingu posted:

Also gently caress sake I wish Corsair would release their One box outside of their prebuilt PCs. Its so loving nice

I think one big issue is parts compatibility. Like it relies on very specific orientation of parts, as to not run excessive cable and water cooling tubes so that you can actually get it together. But yes. Two 240mm rads and basically just one fan is awesome.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

VulgarandStupid posted:

I think one big issue is parts compatibility. Like it relies on very specific orientation of parts, as to not run excessive cable and water cooling tubes so that you can actually get it together. But yes. Two 240mm rads and basically just one fan is awesome.

Oh yeah I totally get why

Would even be nice as a barebones kit or something tbh

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So I've been planning an ITX build around a very hot (backplate) running HP RTX 3090.

Ideally I'd need something with some decent airflow that will hit the backplate (and not a PCI-e riser cable melting on said backplate).

Any ideas on a case?

Was really hoping the Meshlicious would work, but I still unsure.

CPU wise will either be a 5600x (if I build soon) or a Zen 3 CPU if I wait.

Nothing against the Intel 12th gen chips either, but have a 5600x on hand from this HP pre-built. So if Zen 3 sucks or is unavailable, Intel would also be an option.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

NR200 is probably a good candidate for that then I'd say.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
https://youtu.be/KLGfeiMdi1Q

I don't know where else to post this.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CyberPingu posted:

NR200 is probably a good candidate for that then I'd say.

That was one of my thoughts, but it doesn't have any front fans to get some fresh airflow going over the backplate.

The Meshlicious was tempting if I put it in 4 slot GPU mode, then do the "standoff mod" thing to push the GPU right up to the mesh. That would give some space for airflow on the back of the card and possibly room for a longer PCI-e riser cable to avoid contact with the backplate.

This thread (and once I realized how bad these thermals are on the HP OEM card) got me worried.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SSUPD/comments/o9aaqn/my_gpu_backplate_fused_with_my_pcie_riser_cable/

Comedy option (but mildly serious), I am already a buttload of money into this, waterblock + active backplate for the GPU?

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Sm580 has the best gpu thermals I’ve seen in an itx case.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Moey posted:

Nothing against the Intel 12th gen chips either, but have a 5600x on hand from this HP pre-built. So if Zen 3 sucks or is unavailable, Intel would also be an option.

5600x is Zen 3. The next gen will be Zen 3D.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Butterfly Valley posted:

It was past my bedtime apparently. I was referring to Zen 4 (AM5 socket, 7000 series).

Canna Happy posted:

Sm580 has the best gpu thermals I’ve seen in an itx case.

I'll take a look into this, it wasn't on my radar.

Edit:

This looks pretty nifty.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-vector2-re-rtx-3080-90-abp-set-d-rgb-nickel-acetal

Moey fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 21, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

Zen 3D will be really more of a brief pitstop with a single SKU than a generation.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Moey posted:

That was one of my thoughts, but [the nr200] doesn't have any front fans to get some fresh airflow going over the backplate.

If you run a standard horizontal GPU layout and have the top fans as intake (with side exhaust and the mesh panel) they'll blow straight onto the backplate. Vertical GPU with intake from the bottom and exhaust out the top will also have plenty of airflow over the backplate.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

ephphatha posted:

If you run a standard horizontal GPU layout and have the top fans as intake (with side exhaust and the mesh panel) they'll blow straight onto the backplate. Vertical GPU with intake from the bottom and exhaust out the top will also have plenty of airflow over the backplate.

If I do horizontal GPU in the NR200, 2x top fans as intake, I think the CPU cooler will end up blocking most of the airflow across the backplate.

Didn't even think of the vertical position, but the HP OEM 3090 I have should fit without any modification, since the IO shield on it is only 2 slot. That may work, but would have to get creative with the CPU cooling then, as it really limits your options. Something like the Noctua NH-L9x65 should fit, but it would almost be touching that hot rear end backplate.

Some googlin' shows people fitting a top mounted AIO in there, looks like a tight fit (without modifications). I also assume CPU thermals would suffer as well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you do top intake with a horizontal GPU, you would want to do bottom intake as well and then let air passively exhaust out the side. Otherwise, the airflow in the case would make life harder for your GPU fans. Using a low profile CPU cooler could help with letting the backplate get direct airflow.

The optimal vertical GPU setup for the NR200 is fans exhausting out the top and bottom so air comes in through the side, though this won't result in much air touching the backplate. Having 1:1 intake to exhaust would give the backplate some air, but it would also make it so the GPU fans have a harder time pulling in air, increasing your GPU core temps.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Moey posted:

Some googlin' shows people fitting a top mounted AIO in there, looks like a tight fit (without modifications). I also assume CPU thermals would suffer as well.

You could buy (if you can find it) an nr200p max which has an AIO included and runs the GPU exclusively as vertical.

The nr200 stock can't fit an AIO top mounted without either some sort of mod or a very specific motherboard. You run into issues somewhere along the line with either obstructing the Psu extension cable, or the vrm heatsink from the motherboard.

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

Is it worth buying a 12th gen Intel chip for a new SFF/ITX couch gaming build right now, specifically a 12400? There don't seem to be many ITX motherboards out there that can handle 12xxx and DDR4 RAM. Should I just roll with a 5600x/10400/11400/something else and a cheaper/more easily obtainable mobo?

Draft pcpartpicker list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R4MD8r

I would prefer to avoid upgrading the motherboard/CPU again for a while and I'm not really in any rush if there are some decent options coming in the future.

EDIT: Targeting 1080p/60FPS/ultra on recent/upcoming AAAs (elden ring, cyberpunk, etc)

Pork Chops Aplenty fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 24, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pork Chops Aplenty posted:

Is it worth buying a 12th gen Intel chip for a new SFF/ITX couch gaming build right now, specifically a 12400? There don't seem to be many ITX motherboards out there that can handle 12xxx and DDR4 RAM. Should I just roll with a 5600x/10400/11400/something else and a cheaper/more easily obtainable mobo?

Draft pcpartpicker list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R4MD8r

I would prefer to avoid upgrading the motherboard/CPU again for a while and I'm not really in any rush if there are some decent options coming in the future.

EDIT: Targeting 1080p/60FPS/ultra on recent/upcoming AAAs (elden ring, cyberpunk, etc)

I'd just go with a 5600X in this case, if it + a b550 itx motherboard are cheaper than a 12400 + b660 itx motherboard. The 12400 is either tied with the 5600X or just slightly behind it when it comes to gaming performance, depending on which review you check. You do not need a better CPU than either in order to do 60fps at 1080p. Actually, an 11400 would likely do, but there could be some games that make use of the extra cpu power (simulations, some strategy games maybe, dunno what you're playing)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 24, 2022

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

I'd just go with a 5600X in this case, if it + a b550 itx motherboard are cheaper than a 12400 + b660 itx motherboard. The 12400 is either tied with the 5600X or just slightly behind it when it comes to gaming performance, depending on which review you check. You do not need a better CPU than either in order to do 60fps at 1080p. Actually, an 11400 would likely do, but there could be some games that make use of the extra cpu power (simulations, some strategy games maybe, dunno what you're playing)

Cool, thanks for confirming. I'll keep an eye out for a reasonably priced b660 or similar over the next month or so and if that doesn't work out just go with the 5600X. Need to find a GPU first like everyone else...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So Lian Li is manufacturing DAN A4 cases now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuwoiyvCQ4U