Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

I think the guy originally said he'd be done by the end of January, ie 30 days from when I signed the contract the last week of December. They would have been completely done last week if not for the cold/snow that prevented them from painting/doing the final touch up work. Works out since this week was the 28 day mark for the concrete too. :toot:

One baby is currently at my wife's friend's house, due to come out on any good dry sunny day now.

The other one is still in my wife, due early March.

We need baby pics! Of the first baby ofc, not the upcoming one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Enos Cabell posted:

We need baby pics! Of the first baby ofc, not the upcoming one.

It's snowing today and she doesn't like the snow. :ohdear:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

My deepest condolences.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Motronic posted:

Hydronic baseboard makes basically zero noise when properly installed and maintained. If you are hearing bubbling, popping or water movement noises your system is improperly filled/bled and also may be contaminated and needs to be flushed. If you are hearing ticking due to heating/cooling the baseboards are not installed properly, have been damaged, or the covers weren't properly re-latched on the styles that have covers.

Good to know, I've never experienced a quiet one in my life. They were all old and in rentals so that explains the poo poo maintenance.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

catpiss/ratturd house is nearing completion

All that's really left is mouldings in the kitchen, the countertops, the outlet covers and the bathtub enamel

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Stick vacuum recommendations? Mostly hardwood flooring and some low-to-mid pile rugs in the house, but a medium-hair cat so frequent vacuuming is required. Cat loves to shed on the stairs so pulling out the full-sized vacuum is a pain.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Somebody is going to recommend a dyson and I have to strongly disagree. We've had a v7 for just over a year and the battery is shot. If you read the comments on The Wirecutter it's a common problem, apparently the battery module has some software that prematurely disables discharging if the pack has ever overheated. New packs are exorbitant and unavailable.

I'm hoping the next iteration of the Ryobi stick vac will work well.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We have the Dyson v11 and I still absolutely love it. Have had it for around 2 years a think. It’s just so drat convenient.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

We’ve gotten the Dyson v8 Absolute and I’m a huge fan. It’s got a hard surface brush, a carpet brush, and an upholstery and crevice attachment. We’ve used it daily for about a year and a half with no noticeable battery difference. Our house is 1500sqft though- a lot of people seem to have issues with them in bigger places.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

BadSamaritan posted:

We’ve gotten the Dyson v8 Absolute and I’m a huge fan. It’s got a hard surface brush, a carpet brush, and an upholstery and crevice attachment. We’ve used it daily for about a year and a half with no noticeable battery difference. Our house is 1500sqft though- a lot of people seem to have issues with them in bigger places.

Our house is about 3000sq ft but we don't normally do the first floor and higher floors on the same day. That being said I've never seen the battery meter lower 50%.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've got a Dyson knockoff that works perfectly for my place. Battery life can do be basement and entire first floor in one go.

I've never had a Dyson but the knockoffs are a fraction of the price and have to be close to the original imo :shrug:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I’ve posted this either in the Costco or this thread but when my Dyson started acting funny i called them and they either wanted to ship it back or take it to a local Dyson repair center. They effectively gave us a new one and an extra battery.

I’m happy with the Dyson but I wouldn’t sleep on the other brands they sell at Costco, etc.

This is after two years of multiple daily use (small kids). Also the MAX setting is only supposed to be for hard to get stuff, not run on all the time.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've owned two Shark stick vacuums and they're both awesome. The cordless double roller version is definitely a cut above. It really works well and was only like $300.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I've bought two Dyson stick vacuums from the Dyson refurb store on eBay and they're great. One has been in use for 3 years on the original battery and was $150, the newer one was purchased last year and was $200.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

Insurrectum posted:

Stick vacuum recommendations? Mostly hardwood flooring and some low-to-mid pile rugs in the house, but a medium-hair cat so frequent vacuuming is required. Cat loves to shed on the stairs so pulling out the full-sized vacuum is a pain.

Our house is hardwood floors throughout so we purchased both a Shark stick vacuum(Vertex Lightweight Cordless Stick) and a Shark handheld(UltraCyclone Pet Pro+). The stick vac is great for large areas like kitchen/dining room, living room, etc. But for the stairs, that hand vac has been one of the best things we've ever bought. We also use it to clean up the dust bunnies that our two medium hair cats leave all over the place.
Our previous vacuum for our full carpet apartment was a Dyson canister vacuum, which I loved dearly but it weighed a few dozen pounds and we couldn't justify spending that much money on their stick vacuums when we had other major expenses for the house.

Manwich
Oct 3, 2002

Grrrrah
Somebody on the forums recommended this channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3uW_Pio4gI

The Shark Vertex seems to be a solid choice if you don't want to quite pay Dyson money.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I haven't used their stick vacuum, but we have a standard vacuum from Shark and it's great. I imagine their stick vacuums are also very good.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Manwich posted:

Somebody on the forums recommended this channel.

Pretty sure I've dropped this link here before, but just in case, I recommend this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectFarm/videos

His tests are pretty rigorous, and he typically covers real world use cases, the tests are designed by someone who has actually used that tool/product/process before.

He also does ridiculous things on occasion like, "can you use bananas to lubricate a lawn mower engine?" Garage 54 style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5TzpLBfP2Y

Also does serious stuff like impact drivers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jxZAKk_nSk

Vise-Grips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8BDMF8KKlQ

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

NomNomNom posted:

I'm hoping the next iteration of the Ryobi stick vac will work well.

Yeah I've avoided the ryobi for awhile since the reviews all say "the filter clogs after 5 seconds"

I have some random Shark cordless stick that I use in my home, i got it from groupon for way less than new it's worked well for about 3+ years. It's about to get replaced though as the canister/emptying "flap" seal is gettiing grungy and the mesh keeps getting clogged instead of shedding the poo poo to the poo poo canister. I'm not fully done with it yet I need to pull out my ifixit toolkit so I can disassemble it with the triangle driver.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

The answer is older generation Dyson from Amazon warehouse

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts
My mortgage got sold and all I have to say is oh my god gently caress Mr. Cooper.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've always heard, especially when dealing with dog or cat hair, just buy a shark because it will perform and not break the bank when you inevitably have to buy another one in a year or two.

I don't have a stick vacuum but I love my regular Dyson. We've had it for 10 years and it works great with a dog the past 6. My step sister has a stick version and it's good for dust bunnies on hard surfaces but I wouldn't trust it with pet hair on carpet.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I have a Dyson stick and it’s great on rugs with pet hair.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

My mortgage got sold and all I have to say is oh my god gently caress Mr. Cooper.

We had them for almost 5 years before we financed with a local credit union and they seemed to ok. They accepted my payments and handled my escrow as expected. What issues are you having?

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

mattfl posted:

We had them for almost 5 years before we financed with a local credit union and they seemed to ok. They accepted my payments and handled my escrow as expected. What issues are you having?

TERRIBLE communication with our homeowners company, and awful customer service.

Their hold "music" (really a monologue about how awesome their online stuff is) is also a war crime, but that's secondary to the hours I've spent chasing my tail today trying to get them to provide contact info for the insurance company to send over proof of insurance. This is basic functionality, it should not be this hard.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Their hold "music" (really a monologue about how awesome their online stuff is) is also a war crime, but that's secondary to the hours I've spent chasing my tail today trying to get them to provide contact info for the insurance company to send over proof of insurance. This is basic functionality, it should not be this hard.

I think their app and website shows you the details to plug into your online homeowners/condo insurance portal, or to tell your insurance in another way like over the phone. They're not gonna communicate directly with your homeowners.

I have had no issues with Mr. Cooper FWIW.

If you need I can find the workflow to get to those details.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have a very old... possibly 10 years old by now, Dyson stick vacuum (I think V6) and I've replaced the battery once since I've owned it. It's not a replacement for a normal vacuum for us though, and the battery life is nothing compared to the newer vacuums out there (20 mins tops) We use it to clean up small spills, and touch areas up when I don't want to get the big vacuum out. It lives in the kitchen pantry. I have 2 large Dyson vacuums, a DC17 I bought probably 13 years ago, and a Dyson ball animal I bought about 2 years ago refurbed from Dyson for like 140 bucks for the upstairs.

I don't think any stick vacuums out there are replacements for a real vacuum. I have 3 cats and a bunch of carpet though.

Shark makes some pretty decent stuff these days. My sister is in love with her LG Cord Zero setup. I've had fantastic luck with my Dyson stuff though. I haven't done anything to my DC17, never even changed the belt.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My loan was bought by Mr. Cooper about five months ago. When I proactively went to their site and made an account, it said basically "we're processing your poo poo, wait a bit" and once they had done that, my loan and docs etc. showed up just fine. The following month, I got a notice that my homeowner's insurance hadn't been paid out of the new escrow account; I called my insurance agent, and he took a day to validate that actually it had been paid, the insurance co. just hadn't processed the check yet. It was all worked out pretty quickly.

I think this isn't specifically on Mr. Cooper: any time your loan is sold very close to the date when a check is due to be paid out of escrow, things can get tied up for a week or two. But there's also generally grace periods in place to ensure you don't get hit with a penalty for any of it. Like if your first payment to your new lender is late, you can't be charged a penalty or interest on it.

The one time I spoke to a person at Mr. Cooper they had no problem giving me all the info I needed. Maybe you got a bad support person, and that's a shame and definitely a mark against Mr. Cooper.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Mr. Pooper sucked for me too the first few months from Feb-May 2021 until they got going. You have to email/hound the poo poo out of them to do escrow reviews and pay attention to your insurance payments at first etc. Since then, no problems.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Heh, Mr. Cooper just bought by refi a couple weeks ago. Today, we got a check from the insurance company for the full year's worth of coverage, supposedly a double payment refund. Definitely need to double check on all that given the recent conversation. Thanks goons!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The Hangin' with Mr. Cooper site is full of ads, love to click through multiple interstitials to get my statement or whatever. They decided that we immediately had a shortage in our escrow which is lame, but I don't think specific to them.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
My wife and I are planning on replacing lots of the old (sometimes original construction) windows in our home. Those in the older parts of our home are very old, while the newer ones were installed in the 1960's or 70's as best we can tell. They are all single pane, and drafty as gently caress. A layer of Riverside dust appears inside the sills over the course of a week, so they are not sealed at all. This project has been a long time coming, but I think we've finally regenerated the mental energy to start planning.

I know very little about windows, but I know people here have opinions about them. Vinyl/Fiberglass/Wood? Aesthetics? Companies/manufacturers to avoid? I'd love to hear it.

This is what I'm working with.

Insides of the older windows, old single-pan wooden windows, some painted shut:

Outside of the older windows:

Windows in the additions to the house, all of them look like this in some form:

Bonus weird rear end kitchen windows that I need a ladder to clean and serve no purpose but the shine the sun directly onto the kitchen table in the afternoon and annoy the gently caress out of you:

Sorry for the picture spam.

FAKE EDIT: So my wife and I had a conversation about replacing our windows Sunday night. Monday a door-to-door sales man comes by saying that he wants to replace our windows and will give us a good price. I shooed him off, but I'm trying to figure out if that was a coincidence or if "Big Window" is listening in on me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Weird rear end kitchen windows probably double the total available light in that part of the house and will help the house sell that much faster when you go to sell it

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Lose the cross-hatching on the new ones unless that is necessary for external aesthetics, it makes a big difference. If you can afford it Pella is really nice, I’m very happy with ours.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
A lot of times circle, half moon, or angled glass custom windows are very expensive!

Getting new windows that will be window and door spray foamed in and recaulked will definitely help your draft and sediment getting in your house the most, but I wanted to throw out there for the thread that if your window frames are not rotten and in good shape you can probably get a glass replacement company to replace your whole house of glass cheaper than the windows.

When I installed windows we occasionally worked with a company called insti glass that had mobile work trucks and would make up double pane glass on site at your home, they do bulk discounts it's not really worth their time to come out for like 8 windows.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Our house has mostly aluminum windows (vintage 80's?), some vinyl, none woodframed. Starting to get quotes, wood like fiberglass I think? Pella comes Friday and I can't wait to lol at the $$$.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My mom and step dad work for a window manufacturer so I'm probably a little biased, but pella generally gets crappy reviews.

This site has reviews/basic pricing and you can send in your questions and I think pictures to get their opinions.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Milgard is definitely the winner of the Pella/Andersen/Milgard trio

Vinyl is good, Fiberglass is great but the real difference is just what to expect at the 15-20 year mark. 10% of your fiberglass windows will be ready for replacement vs 20% of your vinyls.

Your heating and cooling bill won't be any different if you do one or the other because the rest of the walls and floors are going to exchange heat more than the windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
On the topic of windows/doors, the POs just replaced all of the doors/windows in the house with Pella windows/doors, with all of the side doors looking like this:

Is there an easy solution to turn this lock/door in to one that has a keypad?