Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

I always figured the main driving factor for modern blockbuster trends was the decline of movie theaters. That is, less people are willing to drop $15/ticket to see a straight drama on the big screen when you can have (almost) the same experience on a decent home theater basically for free. The solution has been to draw people to the theater with big high tech/explosive effects, crazy sound design and other similar gimmicks—you’re not just seeing a film, you’re paying for an *experience* that can really only be appreciated on the big screen.

The exception to this is probably big name darling directors like tarantino and PTA who can still pull funding to shoot straight stories on 70mm and stuff, largely because people will show up to the theater on name recognition alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

nightmare alley is now streaming on both hulu and hbomax (it's also a "remake" of the 1947 film/adaptation of the 1946 novel)

it's not a remake of the 1947 film. del toro hadn't even seen it when he decided to make a film based on the book.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think I'm largely over movies

with increasingly rare exception they tend to just be white noise while the real interesting poo poo is happening in limited/short series
The Great, Raised By Wolves, Devs, Maniac, all of Mike Flanagan's poo poo, The OA, Pen15, Station Eleven...
I could keep going but just tons of really loving great stuff coming out in the format

I think just by the nature of the advent/proliferation of more accessible longform story-telling that movies have to get bigger and dumber to cast the widest net of spectacle they can to differentiate themselves as an entertainment form.
But the good, heady poo poo... that lives on the streaming platforms now.

e:
basically yeah what TheSlutPit said while I was typing this

Good Soldier Svejk has issued a correction as of 03:42 on Feb 16, 2022

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah I definitely lament the lack of beautifully-shot film productions in the theater, but for all the :qq: about blockbuster culture the combination of cheap digital production and streaming services has made it easier than ever for amateur filmmakers to get their work out there and even get paid decently for it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

TheSlutPit posted:

I always figured the main driving factor for modern blockbuster trends was the decline of movie theaters. That is, less people are willing to drop $15/ticket to see a straight drama on the big screen when you can have (almost) the same experience on a decent home theater basically for free. The solution has been to draw people to the theater with big high tech/explosive effects, crazy sound design and other similar gimmicks—you’re not just seeing a film, you’re paying for an *experience* that can really only be appreciated on the big screen.

The exception to this is probably big name darling directors like tarantino and PTA who can still pull funding to shoot straight stories on 70mm and stuff, largely because people will show up to the theater on name recognition alone.

It was 19 bucks for a theater ticket to a 2D regular rear end showing of Endgame.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

TheSlutPit posted:

Yeah I definitely lament the lack of beautifully-shot film productions in the theater, but for all the :qq: about blockbuster culture the combination of cheap digital production and streaming services has made it easier than ever for amateur filmmakers to get their work out there and even get paid decently for it.

The saddest loss is really the sort of Tarkovsky-esque auteurs who could tell a horrifically complex story in 2-3 hours while also allowing the pace to luxuriate on shots at the same time

there is something to be said for sitting through a Kubrick or a Tarkovsky etc and really letting your brain melt into their world for 3 hours straight at such a languid pace you are hypnotized but begging for the next thing

The streaming series are still often too beholden to the constructs of TV writing - with all the cliffhangers and A/B plotting and so on

We're in a good place for them now but I hope stuff like Station Eleven is just the beginning of really artsy series pacing

I really want something to be positivity languid. Not in the GoT late-series "just make some people talk until the next battle" sense but some real hold the shot, let people emote for minutes at a time kinda stuff

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i really liked station 11 because its very character driven but it still had a weird amount of padding and fake tension with the cult leader plotline. the prestige bingable tv series format just makes good stories worse imo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Streaming series are absolutely terrible due to trying to pad out content or cut it to fit the weird runtime. They also tend to not care about the visuals at all and are just something you can mostly listen to and half pay attention to

Yes, the mid budget great movies are mostly gone, but guess what, it's never been easier to catch up on old poo poo you've probably never seen. I just saw Paris Texas and was insanely blown away by it , there's hundreds of other great movies to see too as well as a ton of fun genre flicks like triangle or Scott Adkins latest

Farm Frenzy posted:

i really liked station 11 because its very character driven but it still had a weird amount of padding and fake tension with the cult leader plotline. the prestige bingable tv series format just makes good stories worse imo

Yep. Watching Stargate this summer was a revelation to remember how things used to be, where episodes could stand on their own

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
of contemporary mainstream filmmakers i feel like very few of them actually have a connection with the art they create. im probably forgetting a few decent mainstream filmmakers but i feel that of the one actually still making films now only Denis Villeneuve and Darren Aronofsky actually put themself into their art. Oh also James Cameron but hes more obsessed with the technology than anything else.

of the films of 2022 im keen for The Whale and Avatar 2

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Streaming series are absolutely terrible due to trying to pad out content or cut it to fit the weird runtime. They also tend to not care about the visuals at all and are just something you can mostly listen to and half pay attention to

Yes, the mid budget great movies are mostly gone, but guess what, it's never been easier to catch up on old poo poo you've probably never seen. I just saw Paris Texas and was insanely blown away by it , there's hundreds of other great movies to see too as well as a ton of fun genre flicks like triangle or Scott Adkins latest

Yep. Watching Stargate this summer was a revelation to remember how things used to be, where episodes could stand on their own

I've never seen Paris, Texas but I have listened to that Ry Cooder soundtrack dozens of times

Gonna add that to the list

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think the last movie i saw where i felt i was watching a really well produced and often beautifully shot film on a big screen was Inglorious Basterds

i did get to see the phenomenal 2001 ultra wide run some years back but that doesn't really count

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

amen. where every episode is meant to cliffhanger you into continuing to watch. and all of the actual plot action happens in the final 2 episodes.

not a fan.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

WampaLord posted:

amen. where every episode is meant to cliffhanger you into continuing to watch. and all of the actual plot action happens in the final 2 episodes.

not a fan.

To be clear - that is not how Station Eleven is structured.
Just in case folks are reading who haven't seen it.
It eschews that trend in favor of basically the most direct adaption of novel plotting I've seen put to film
Each episode has a variable length that fits the story, follows a single plot/perspective, and then ends pretty naturally for that chunk of story.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

IMO the biggest advantage of streaming is the localization of foreign language media that would never get seen on cable in their original language.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

uncut gems was really good in the theater

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

another round was really good

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

there's still some good rear end movies getting made, not enough tho

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

in 2021 I saw Dune, Drive My Car, and basically nothing else but that's on me

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

IMO the biggest advantage of streaming is the localization of foreign language media that would never get seen on cable in their original language.

taking a moment to appreciate how money heist is one of the biggest worldwide pop culture hits of the last decade but you would never ever know this if you were relying on the mainstream english language entertainment press for pop culture information

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Antonymous posted:

it was overwhelming (in a good way) at home I can't imagine in the theatre.

my last theatre trip was The Lighthouse which owned bones. there's a lot to be said for even seeing 'small' films in theatre, the lack of distractions really helps transport you into the film

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Antonymous posted:

This was the last movie I saw in theaters before Covid started and seeing it on the big screen was insane. I thought about getting stoned beforehand and I’m super glad for not doing so as it simply would have been Too Much in that state.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the fall of the soviet union killed the historical war epic because there weren't tens of thousands of soldiers available to re-create the battle of austerlitz

the us army could never, all they can give you is some epic shots of an aircraft carrier before it catches fire and melting planes

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

To be clear - that is not how Station Eleven is structured.
Just in case folks are reading who haven't seen it.
It eschews that trend in favor of basically the most direct adaption of novel plotting I've seen put to film
Each episode has a variable length that fits the story, follows a single plot/perspective, and then ends pretty naturally for that chunk of story.

yeah i was more ranting about generic streaming format stuff, not that show which i haven't seen. it sounds cool.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

yeah if you're lamenting Tarkovsky idk how that poo poo could ever work as a product of streaming service. I already know people who watch movies at 2x speed with their cell phones out

the theater is dead and so is that kind of film. but there will be new films someday maybe, once we let the past die tarkovsky included

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

thatfatkid posted:

of contemporary mainstream filmmakers i feel like very few of them actually have a connection with the art they create. im probably forgetting a few decent mainstream filmmakers but i feel that of the one actually still making films now only Denis Villeneuve and Darren Aronofsky actually put themself into their art. Oh also James Cameron but hes more obsessed with the technology than anything else.

of the films of 2022 im keen for The Whale and Avatar 2

forgot about yorgos lanthimos

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
last movie I saw in theater was Rise of Skywalker

:metis:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
https://mobile.twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1493738694003417104

i still cant believe someone looked at tom holland and went oh yeah this is the guy we need to play a smug jock archaeologist who spends most of his time murdering foreigners this was clearly a job for jim from the office

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

why is everything a reference to old poo poo

can't we just have a movie about a cool detective that solves a tough case or a movie about people finding love in the big city or something. and they aren't superheroes and it's not in the star wars universe

I recall a story I once heard about the filming of one of the Channel Awesome movies, where one of the cast members made a joke, and Doug Walker was unable to parse that she had said something funny which made people laugh, but was not quoting or referencing some media property. He literally could not understand humor that was not "Just like that thing in that one movie"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Koirhor posted:

last movie I saw in theater was Rise of Skywalker

:metis:

this was gonna be mine too but then I went to see F9 during hot vaxx summer and I'm glad that got to be my last theater movie because it was a lot more fun than RoS

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

those still so many good movies and working auteurs, films still waaay better than TV imo

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheJohnDiMaggio...ingawful.com%2F

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

those still so many good movies and working auteurs, films still waaay better than TV imo

yep. the format that prestige TV series follow is so predictable and sucks the life out of any interesting story.

a film produced by a team that actually cares about creating something of value will always be a more enjoyable watch

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I am Gladiator

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Ivan Reitman died. He was one of the greatest comedy directors or producers.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1493738694003417104

i still cant believe someone looked at tom holland and went oh yeah this is the guy we need to play a smug jock archaeologist who spends most of his time murdering foreigners this was clearly a job for jim from the office

Isn't he a Tory or a Liberal Democrat or something?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation

lol that they went ahead and greenlit a revival no one wanted before sorting this out

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I really want something to be positivity languid. Not in the GoT late-series "just make some people talk until the next battle" sense but some real hold the shot, let people emote for minutes at a time kinda stuff

Have you checked out Barry Jenkins' The Underground Railroad, or Refn's Too Old To Die Young? I think they might be what you're looking for.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

i say swears online posted:

oh my god every movie needs to reference other properties under the same corporation now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK1CuXG7GMQ

I still think Nintendo announcing Chris Pratt as the voice of Mario is the weirdest thing to see in the past year.

But you see Pratt with Mario, Holland with Uncharted and Mulaney/Samberg with Chip 'N Dale and it shows they literally do not give a poo poo and will just let Hollywood do whatever.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

stunt casting in kids movies is jsut to get some easy chuckles out of the parents in attendance. and for uncharted idk how it possibly couldve not been a piece of poo poo. it was always gonna be a weird lazy midbudget euro action movie like the hitman/resident evil films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/LeolucaRandisi/status/1493781211667255298