Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
People think about vertical angles a lot too but I think horizontal can be a factor, or it was for me. I seem to do much better with a ten-key-less keyboard, my arms are spaced more naturally when I'm not reaching over to the side as much with my right arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Rescue Toaster posted:

People think about vertical angles a lot too but I think horizontal can be a factor, or it was for me. I seem to do much better with a ten-key-less keyboard, my arms are spaced more naturally when I'm not reaching over to the side as much with my right arm.

This, this, this. I went for a 10key less, and it's so much better for wrist/arm angle. Didn't expect it to make as much of a difference as it did.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Oysters Autobio posted:

Also curious to know about ergonomics. Like, if I look at the way I grip my mouse, I'm mainly gripping it from the sides with my thumb and pinky, and the last three fingers can just float there. Is that right? Don't care about optimal gamer performance but more so for long term health (if upright mice weren't so awkward in an FPS I would probably just use those tbqh).
Do you 1-3-1 grip? Ring goes on top of mouse?

There's no real right or wrong way to hold a mouse. If you're experiencing pain you likely need to loosen up your grip. Your hand should be pretty relaxed, even when pressing buttons or moving the mouse. "relaxed" meaning there's no tension not that you aren't holding the mouse.

If you experience pain when using your pinky then you should start using your ring finger temporarily instead. Pain is a sign to stop doing something before you get injured. It's more common to be thumb+ring finger dominant and the pinky just kinda chills and does nothing or contributes a bit, but there are 1-3-1 users out there at all levels of mouse usage.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 23, 2022

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I switched to 1-3-1 a year or two ago, just because it felt more natural, but I wasn't dealing with pain either way. My hand just rests on top of the mouse, I don't squeeze the sides or anything... my thumb just helps slightly to move it right, and my pinky to move it left.

It does sound like you're gripping way too forcefully, so definitely try to stop doing that. You also might benefit from a lighter mouse.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Hey so my Logitech G502 hero has started to drop clicks on the left click after about 2 years of use. Did some googling and this seems to be a common issue with this series with only temp fixes for it. Anybody have recommendations for something similar so I can replace it? Or just recommendations in general? Bought this one purely because it was weighted, the weight was adjustable, and it had the side buttons right under my thumb.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bumper Stickup posted:

Hey so my Logitech G502 hero has started to drop clicks on the left click after about 2 years of use. Did some googling and this seems to be a common issue with this series with only temp fixes for it. Anybody have recommendations for something similar so I can replace it? Or just recommendations in general? Bought this one purely because it was weighted, the weight was adjustable, and it had the side buttons right under my thumb.

The Razer Basilisk has the same shape. The basilisk v3 and ultimate both have optical switches, so they won't start double clicking.

I guess it doesn't have adjustable weights if that was a big deal for you. I can't think of any modern mice besides the g502 that still have adjustable weights.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
It was more having a heavier mouse rather than it being adjustable. Not a fan of how lightweight mice feel. I'll give the razr a look. Thanks for the recommendation.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The basilisk V2 should have optical switches too iirc, and often goes on sale for $35, just fyi.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rescue Toaster posted:

This is what ended up with me getting a split keyboard. I had one of those Belkin Nostromo devices from years ago so I was already used to the basic concept, and drat is it ever nice to be able to just move the entire right half of my keyboard out of the way to have a huge mousing surface when playing WASD games.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Which mouse is most similar to an MX-Master, but wired and if possible, not weirdly rubbery?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Is the thumb wheel a necessity for you? That could narrow your search significantly.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it's nice to have but i could forego it

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Is there a trick to getting macro keys / buttons to work over RDP? I map the button on top of my MX Master 3 to Ctrl+W for closing tabs, but doesn't seem to work over remote desktop connections..

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

In the past six years I've managed to kill four Corsair mice -- one dead mouse wheel, two dead right mouse buttons, and now a dead middle mouse button. Kinda getting tired of this. Are Logitechs still good? Looking at the G403 since I don't need that many buttons, just a couple DPI options and forward/back side buttons.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

In the past six years I've managed to kill four Corsair mice -- one dead mouse wheel, two dead right mouse buttons, and now a dead middle mouse button. Kinda getting tired of this. Are Logitechs still good? Looking at the G403 since I don't need that many buttons, just a couple DPI options and forward/back side buttons.

Logitech haven't been good in a while

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Logitech has had an increase in number of double click cases in recent years but the rest of the mouse seems as solid as ever. I haven't run into the double clicking myself across several mice in my household, but it could be influenced in part by local climate. Your mileage may vary. :shrug:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got two wireless G502s late last year and they're both working great for now, but one oddity is that the one I use the most has a higher pitched left click. I haven't had to take them apart for any reason but if I do in the future I'll be curious to see if they have different switches in them.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Logitech haven't not been garbage for years now.

I am trying Steelseries Prime now, though I'm not sure if the unit I have is bunk or not.

I have a Roccat Burst Core on the way. I used a Kone Pure for a short period back in the day, but they seem to have shrunk that product line and bumped the price.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

every gaming mouse sucks in one way or another, you just have to pick your poison

logitech has poo poo unreliable switches
razer has terrible bloated software
steelseries has poor click latency despite the optical switches
glorious has terrible quality control in general

i ventured into a more niche brand with the endgame xm1r and loved it until the scroll wheel started registering false inputs, and the promised firmware fix still hasn't appeared after half a year

using a logitech superlight now because it gets basically everything right besides the switches, and i'll just replace them when they go bad

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Razer's software wouldn't matter if you could turn the loving RGB off. But you can't. Not with any mouse I've ever seen. Logitech comes the closest, but every 3-6 months every one of their mice will conveniently "forget" that you want RGB off and make you use the poo poo-rear end software again.

If RGB must exist, the standard needs to be default off and let idiots install the cancer software to turn it on.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Razer's software wouldn't matter if you could turn the loving RGB off. But you can't. Not with any mouse I've ever seen. Logitech comes the closest, but every 3-6 months every one of their mice will conveniently "forget" that you want RGB off and make you use the poo poo-rear end software again.

If RGB must exist, the standard needs to be default off and let idiots install the cancer software to turn it on.

what (see attachment)

or do you mean you want it turned off and then it is just off in some on-mice memory and never needs to be touched in software again

Only registered members can see post attachments!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

There is memory on the mouse, but like most mice as far as RGB is concerned it doesn't work. It'll turn itself back on constantly. Doesn't matter if you use RGB off or brightness 0, same result. Also, even with Synapse running and RGB off, say you lock your PC. The software is still running with RGB off, the hardware profile is RGB off, but the mouse will start cycling RGB until it falls asleep.

RGB is the actual devil.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

logitech had the right idea with the superlight, they jettisoned all the RGB junk to get the weight down without having to skeletonize the shell

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

With this thread usually being strictly logi/razer, this is your reminder that there are other companies and you should try Steelseries

astral
Apr 26, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Razer's software wouldn't matter if you could turn the loving RGB off. But you can't. Not with any mouse I've ever seen.

That was not my experience with the Razer Deathadder (2013), Razer Deathadder Chroma, or the Razer Deathadder Eseential I set up for someone else. Once initially configured and razer software uninstalled, the lights stayed off.

Some models don't have onboard storage though. Always get the ones with onboard storage.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
After having owned tons of mice (Razer, SteelSeries, Logitech) the new MS Pro Intellimouse is still the best and most comfortable gaming mouse I've ever used hands down and it's still going strong almost 2yrs now with zero issue:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RPBXBMV/

Stop buying cheaply made gamer-themed garbage.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The good gamer poo poo has insane performance advantages over everything else. There are drat good reasons we put up with this crap.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

131g is too dang heavy for todays discerning gamer

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I like my heavy G502 and am glad I apparently bought it before Logitech went to poo poo and/or got really lucky.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Is there something like the G502 that has the better switches? Specifically I want to make sure it has DPI buttons that won't be clicked accidentally, like by the middle mouse button for example I always end up clicking it. Also I like the DPI display LEDs but I guess that isn't necessary but it has to be wireless. If not I'll keep buying these dumb things. My 502 hasn't failed yet, but I am on my third 703.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

The Razer Basilisk series have optical switches. I've got an original Ultimate and it's still going strong after 2+ years.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, that looks pretty nice and would probably work fine.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
The Basilisk line is Razer's copy of the 502. They (the Basilisk's) should all have on-board memory for 5 profiles.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Koskun posted:

The Basilisk line is Razer's copy of the 502. They (the Basilisk's) should all have on-board memory for 5 profiles.

Wish they copied the extra index finger buttons.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Rinkles posted:

That would be nice. I've got a 502 in my travel bag for my laptop. It really is a nice smooth mouse. I had a G700, and I loved the buttons for that in multiple games. Made stuff that was console conversion a lot easier to play rather than trying to spaghetti my fingers to hit something.

I'm on a Razer Trynity now with the numpad side panel. It took me a good month to get used to it and be able to fire off buttons on purpose, and other than the garbage Razer software (though it does at least let you time-out the RBG, unlike Ccrsair), it's been a really nice mouse.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Spoke to a PT today who recommended I get a vertical mouse to try and save my butchered wrist. Seems they come in two tiers: cheap and expensive - the cheapest expensive one I can get is a ~£75 logitech vertical from amazon es which would arrive in a month and returns might be a ballache if I find I hate it so I think I'll settle with a cheap one unless that's particularly not recommended. Also gives me a bit more budget to get a shorter keyboard as recommended earlier in the page.

Anker apparently is the standard but this "trust" one is currently on sale and looks identical. Does anyone know if they are identical (coming out of the same chinese factory and sold under different brands) or if this is a cheap knockoff? I've never heard of "Trust" before but they seem to be an established dutch company and not a generic chinese distributor.

zhar fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 16, 2022

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Vertical mice can help, but also make sure you check your posture. Be sure to also reduce your dpi so you are moving your arm and not just your wrist. I didn't change mice, but improved my posture and reduced dpi to 600 and it has helped so much.

Edit: I always thought of Anker as a discount brand. I know Logitech makes vertical mice too if you are feeling particularly fancy.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I haven't had experiences with Trust products in years, but they were middle of the road. Local PC vendors used to love to pack in their stuff with pre-built desktops.

I'm talking roller ball mice era, so basically an eternity ago.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 16, 2022

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Rinkles posted:

That's what I was thinking as well, those are the ones for DPI settings up and down, but it looks like there are a couple extra buttons, as long as you can bind them to anything other than the buttons in the middle it should be fine. I also really like the LEDs for DPI setting, I know people don't like the LEDs, but these are actually useful since you can tell of you shifted he DPI by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Rusty posted:

That's what I was thinking as well, those are the ones for DPI settings up and down, but it looks like there are a couple extra buttons, as long as you can bind them to anything other than the buttons in the middle it should be fine. I also really like the LEDs for DPI setting, I know people don't like the LEDs, but these are actually useful since you can tell of you shifted he DPI by accident.
Everything but the wheel free-spin button (directly below the wheel) can be re-bound in their software. The second button there should be for profile switching by default. And if you are curious, the reason the free-spin button can't be re-bound is because it is a lever for the wheel rather than connected to a switch.

On the G700 I used the extra top buttons in multiple games. One catch is that most games still only acknowledge up to Mouse 5, but a few are starting to go above that. What I usually do is set them to the keybind associated with that action (usually F, R, C, X) for action games, then in stuff like WoW I use Alt+number and even Alt+Ctrl+number, that way I don't interfere with the default bindings.