Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

feedmyleg posted:

Sleazy 80s neo-noir that gives those cool Miami Vice vibes? The rest of Mann's catalogue aside, obviously.

To Live and Die in L.A. and DePalma's Dressed To Kill, Blow Out + Body Double would probably work.

Other good neo-noirs with less of the Miami Vice coolness: Mona Lisa, The Long Good Friday, Blood Simple, 52 Pick-up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

morestuff posted:

To Live and Die in L.A. and DePalma's Dressed To Kill, Blow Out + Body Double would probably work.

Other good neo-noirs with less of the Miami Vice coolness: Mona Lisa, The Long Good Friday, Blood Simple, 52 Pick-up
Also, Black Widow and to some extent Cutter's Way. And Kill Me Again.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Watched 'Nobody' and liked it more than I thought I would. Mostly a stupid action movie. Nothing particularly surprising. Definitely better than the cookie cutter Liam Neeson rehash that comes out once a year.

*Full disclosure.....I haven't seen most (or any?) of Liam Neeson's recent movies*

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Howdy me again.

I recently watched the Edward Norton/Ben Stiller rom-com "Keeping the Faith" on a whim and was surprised by how much I liked it. I really enjoyed how it portrayed religion as like... important but another part of life, and how it was about adults trying to handle the complications between higher callings and romance in a pretty nuanced and believable way up until the predictable rom-com mandated ending. Are there any other movies out there that portray kind of the push-pull between being a human being and being religious? I can only think of "First Reformed" "Diary of A Country Priest" and maaybe "Winter Light" with "Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring" kind of skirting the line. Doesn't need to be a rom-com.

Thanks!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

magic cactus posted:

Howdy me again.

I recently watched the Edward Norton/Ben Stiller rom-com "Keeping the Faith" on a whim and was surprised by how much I liked it. I really enjoyed how it portrayed religion as like... important but another part of life, and how it was about adults trying to handle the complications between higher callings and romance in a pretty nuanced and believable way up until the predictable rom-com mandated ending. Are there any other movies out there that portray kind of the push-pull between being a human being and being religious? I can only think of "First Reformed" "Diary of A Country Priest" and maaybe "Winter Light" with "Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring" kind of skirting the line. Doesn't need to be a rom-com.

Thanks!

A Serious Man might not be entirely what you're after, it's about a man who thought he had done everything right and lived a good and virtuous life facing a serious of personal crises and humiliations and desperately trying to find guidance and solace in his faith.

That makes it sound like a downer but it's very funny.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Gripweed posted:

A Serious Man might not be entirely what you're after, it's about a man who thought he had done everything right and lived a good and virtuous life facing a serious of personal crises and humiliations and desperately trying to find guidance and solace in his faith.

That makes it sound like a downer but it's very funny.

Shoot I've already seen that. It was great though. Thanks for the rec anyway!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

e: double post somehow

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

magic cactus posted:

Howdy me again.

Thanks!

Not a movie but I think the pastor in The Leftovers is a character who deals with this issue very well and the writing is thoughtful and considerate.

E: Matthew McConaughey in Contact, although he's a secondary character despite being a potential love interest for Jodie Foster

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 7, 2022

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

regulargonzalez posted:

Not a movie but I think the pastor in The Leftovers is a character who deals with this issue very well and the writing is thoughtful and considerate.

E: Matthew McConaughey in Contact, although he's a secondary character despite being a potential love interest for Jodie Foster

Fuckin' loved The Leftovers, especially Matt/The Priest's character. I saw Contact and really liked it but it was so long ago I'd forgotten McConaughey was even in it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

magic cactus posted:

Howdy me again.

Thanks!

Silence is about a Jesuit missionary who goes to 17th century Japan, where he struggles with his faith as he tries to minister to the faithful while Japan had outlawed all Christianity. It might be a bit more "religious" than the other movies you listed but I think you'd enjoy how it explores someone trying to balance their faith with their situation (tho its more about his struggle to hold onto faith than it is to balance it with secular life)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

magic cactus posted:

Howdy me again.

Thanks!

The Cardinal by Otto Preminger.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The Name of the Rose maybe? I've only read the book (and can't really picture a movie adaptation covering anything more than the surface plot) but it gets good reviews.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

magic cactus posted:

Are there any other movies out there that portray kind of the push-pull between being a human being and being religious? I can only think of "First Reformed" "Diary of A Country Priest" and maaybe "Winter Light" with "Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring" kind of skirting the line. Doesn't need to be a rom-com.

Thanks!

If you want an eschatological adventure then you may like The Rapture (1991).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, poo poo, how could I forget Wings of Desire? Absolute stone-cold classic by Wim Wenders.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'd recommend The Little Hours for religion movie though I wonder how you would like Novitiate. Not movie but miniseries: Black Narcissus was really good as a horror entry.

regulargonzalez posted:

The Name of the Rose maybe? I've only read the book (and can't really picture a movie adaptation covering anything more than the surface plot) but it gets good reviews.

This is a good rec, though the movie is more of a hardcore period piece/mystery than the novel.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Maybe The Two Popes?

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Oscar and Lucinda?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

magic cactus posted:

Howdy me again.

Thanks!

Stations of the Cross (2014) is my favourite of this

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm looking for more "in depth" documentaries about bands/musicians. I've recently watched Nick Cave's "One More Time With Feeling", Swans' "Where Does a Body End" and Bobby Liebling's "Last Days Here"

The genre of the music really doesn't matter, any genre is welcome. What I'm looking for are music docs that chronicle musicians that are still working and overcoming some sort of tragedy/hardship. It's a pretty broad criteria so if something doesn't exactly fit the bill feel free to suggest it. The only thing I'd really like is that there be footage/interview with the musician while they're still alive or working, rather than a retrospective documentary on a musician who has passed. "Chasing Trane" was a fantastic doc on John Coltrane, but not really what I was looking for.

I guess docs that feature the musicians themselves rather than a narrator.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Have you seen Zappa (2020)?

There's an earlier one on him called "From His Words" or something, too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe I Am Trying To Break Your Heart or Some Kind Of Monster

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

All of those I've seen (except the older Zappa one) but are perfect suggestions for what I'm looking for!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dream Deceivers: The Story Behind James Vance vs. Judas Priest (1992) is focused primarily around Judas Priest's subliminal message/heavy metal hysteria trial but it may be of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGeNjfRWzXI

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anvil! The Story of Anvil, surely

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There’s a decent Daniel Johnson one too.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

therattle posted:

There’s a decent Daniel Johnson one too.

Yep, The Devil and Daniel Johnston

Also, Let's Get Lost (about Chet Baker) is exactly what you want

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FitFortDanga posted:

Yep, The Devil and Daniel Johnston

Also, Let's Get Lost (about Chet Baker) is exactly what you want

Thanks, that’s the one. I actually did the sales agency agreement for that one but it was so long ago I forgot the title.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I loved Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, but every Pedro Almodovar movie Ive seen since has underwhelmed me. Because they aren't farces! WotVoaNB gets so much mileage out of a simple bowl of drugged gazpacho, it's a classic farce, where all the pieces are set up, an agent of chaos is introduced, and everything gets merrily cocked up in an increasingly absurd fashion. That's what I want.

Tell, me what are the best farces?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Gripweed posted:

I loved Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, but every Pedro Almodovar movie Ive seen since has underwhelmed me. Because they aren't farces! WotVoaNB gets so much mileage out of a simple bowl of drugged gazpacho, it's a classic farce, where all the pieces are set up, an agent of chaos is introduced, and everything gets merrily cocked up in an increasingly absurd fashion. That's what I want.

Tell, me what are the best farces?
Death at a Funeral (the original, not the remake) is great.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for recs for obscure movies/series that depict characters going through war and how it changes them. I realize this is broad and pretty true of any war movie but I'm looking more specifically for stuff that focuses on characters changing as they fight.

Some examples of what ive seen that fit the bill: Come and See (1985), Generation Kill, Full Metal Jacket, Attack on Titan, Restrepo, BoB/The Pacific

So its pretty broad, the only thing I ask is the the movie/series explore how war affects the characters as they are fighting. I'm less interested in movies like Brothers or the Deer Hunter which are about the soldiers dealing with PTSD after they come home, more about how they deal with it as they fight

Fictional wars or scifi/fantasy wars are fine too

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Platoon Leader (1988) fits all those requirements.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Journey’s End is pretty good and I think fits the bill.
Beaufort (Israeli film). That reminds me: Waltz with Bashir.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

The Human Condition

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain, both by Kon Ichikawa

Ingmar Bergman's Shame is not about soldiers, but I think it might fit what you're looking for.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Recently watched a movie called Kill Chain with Nic Cage and while it was a C-tier potboiler at best, there was something decidedly dreamlike or psychedelic about it. The minimal dialogue seemed really cryptic, almost like a Beckett play with guns, and the direction was just weird, with a lot of bizarre camera angle choices. This is probably down to the amateurish nature of the production, but I really liked it anyway.

Are there any "dreamlike" or "hallucinatory" action movies out there? Other than Only God Forgives and Valhalla Rising I can't think of too many.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

magic cactus posted:

Recently watched a movie called Kill Chain with Nic Cage and while it was a C-tier potboiler at best, there was something decidedly dreamlike or psychedelic about it. The minimal dialogue seemed really cryptic, almost like a Beckett play with guns, and the direction was just weird, with a lot of bizarre camera angle choices. This is probably down to the amateurish nature of the production, but I really liked it anyway.

Are there any "dreamlike" or "hallucinatory" action movies out there? Other than Only God Forgives and Valhalla Rising I can't think of too many.

Prisoners of the Ghostland was really something. Maybe psychedelic? I don’t know if I have the adjectives.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

magic cactus posted:

You might like You Were Never Really Here or large parts of Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

tuyop posted:

Prisoners of the Ghostland was really something. Maybe psychedelic? I don’t know if I have the adjectives.

I'll check it out, thanks!

morestuff posted:

You might like You Were Never Really Here or large parts of Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

Both of those have been on my to-watch list for a while so looks like I'm out of excuses. Thanks for the recs!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for recs for obscure movies/series that depict characters going through war and how it changes them. I realize this is broad and pretty true of any war movie but I'm looking more specifically for stuff that focuses on characters changing as they fight.

Some examples of what ive seen that fit the bill: Come and See (1985), Generation Kill, Full Metal Jacket, Attack on Titan, Restrepo, BoB/The Pacific

So its pretty broad, the only thing I ask is the the movie/series explore how war affects the characters as they are fighting. I'm less interested in movies like Brothers or the Deer Hunter which are about the soldiers dealing with PTSD after they come home, more about how they deal with it as they fight

Fictional wars or scifi/fantasy wars are fine too

Mobile Suit Gundam is basically entirely about that. Shy nerdy Amuro Ray is the only one who can pilot the Gundam and protect the ship, and he is at times cocky about being the only one who can do it, resentful about having to do it, almost catatonic from the stress and trauma, and always scared and always tired. But over time he grows, he learns to deal with the burdens that have been forced on him, to rely on his crewmates, and to form emotional connections with other people, something he couldn't do before.

Pretty much every Gundam series deals with that in some way. Once you finish Mobile Suit Gundam the sequel series Zeta Gundam and Victory Gundam are also significantly about characters changing as they fight. The alternate universe series Iron-Blooded Orphans is another good example, and Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise although it takes awhile to get there.

If you don't want to jump into a long old anime like the original Gundam there's also Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky. It's just a movie and is up on Youtube in English. It's about two dudes essentially willingly becoming less human to keep fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm9o8fSIm6E

But really, the original Mobile Suit Gundam is the one that you would want the most for the purposes you outlined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

magic cactus posted:

Edit: responded to wrong post