Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Countblanc posted:

/toast is my favourite mog station emote. It would probably be playdead if the male lalafell one wasn't bad
Not a fan of Johnny Sasaki?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Shadowbringers MSQ 5.4, finally a short post:

I’m glad the first thing we’re doing (after repeatedly characterising G’raha as a cute dork, at least) is getting to solving tempering. That’s quite a bit bigger than the war with Garlemald stuff, I agree.

This one was full of good character moments: G’raha’s everything, the password scene, Alphinaud spilling the beans on Y’shtola’s Night Blessed moniker to Matoya, Nero scoring points against Cid.

The other thing I noted is that it’s finally coming back to long dormant plot points to give them some closure: the political situation with the pirate crews in Limsa that from what I gather dates back to 1.0, poor Ga Bu who was tempered in 3.x, the effect of player race colonialism on the beast tribes that was so prevalent to the ARR plot. A lot of those things were resolved a bit too quickly, but at this point I’m used to this game not quite delivering on its political and social setups.

I’m really we got more Azys Lla too, this zone is hell to navigate, but the atmosphere and the soundtrack is very good and like most end of expansion zones it’s criminally underutilised in the MSQ.

Have we ever seen a tempered transform in the same way sin eaters did? The Allagan scientist mentioned that they do eventually after enough exposure to a primal. I don’t remember it ever being explicitly shown in the story, but there might have been some of that happening in the background of a trial or something.

A note on voice acting: the direction seemed worse than usual and Cid’s voice in particular felt rough. I don’t remember him having that voice at all, nor any long voiced Cid scene since ARR, to be fair.

The final scene is a blatant expansion setup, with the reveal of Fandaniel’s goals to the protagonists. I’m not sure why this Bahamut is more lunar than the previous one, when the original was so tied to the red moon. I assume this patch came out before the EW reveal, but with this foreknowledge Fandaniel naming his organisation the Telophoroi (the Endbearers) felt extremely tongue in cheek of the writers

I also played through the first few quests of 5.5 and Alphinaud, please, please stop planting death flags on Arenvald like you’re doing, I’m now terrified for that boy. A minor recurrent character suddenly getting a lot of characterisation like that is never a good sign either:ohdear:

escape mechanism fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 15, 2022

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

escape mechanism posted:

Have we ever seen a tempered transform in the same way sin eaters did? The Allagan scientist mentioned that they do eventually after enough exposure to a primal. I don’t remember it ever being explicitly shown in the story, but there might have been some of that happening in the background of a trial or something.

I believe the most extreme example we've seen are all the pirates tempered by leviathan in Satasha Hard

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Xun posted:

I believe the most extreme example we've seen are all the pirates tempered by leviathan in Satasha Hard

Also, the adds we fight in the Sephirot trial. I think they bring them up in that quest, if I recall.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
There's Nael Deus Darnus too.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Antivehicular posted:

On the subject of Triple Triad, is there any way to get cards out of your inventory besides going through the tutorial and, I guess, getting the card bank or whatever? I don't really want to do TT stuff, especially since I have enough distractions in this game as stands, but I got a few cards from Heaven-on-High and it'd be nice to get those inv slots back.

Lots of people already replied but no one has pointed out the specific vendor who buys your cards. It's the Triple Triad Trader just to the right of the Mini Cactpot Vendor you talk to every day. Note that, sensibly, the trader will only buy copies of cards you've already added to your deck.

Selling cards is probably my third biggest MGP source. The crystal tower cards have very high drop rates and are all worth 1500 MGP, so there's a bit of compensation for rolling them in roulette.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

escape mechanism posted:

I really appreciate that we figure out a cure for tempering and it's immediately a big deal that completely changes how we interact with the Primals and their victims. Not quietly going on in the background, not "here's an excuse to maintain the status quo", it's big.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

There's Nael Deus Darnus too.

I thought about that one when writing that post since I went through that content immediately before playing through the 5.4 MSQ but Nael takes on attributes of Bahamut as a power up then reverts once we beat her, that's a pretty different crucial difference with what we saw in the First.

Sephirot's adds (I don't think they were mentioned but they were the examples in the Allagan powerpoint iirc) and whatever was going on in Sastasha Hard (I was very confused at the time) are more solid examples yeah.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Re: Cid voice acting, that was around when Covid was kicking into gear and people started having to record at home, which is another factor into why it might sound so rough.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I have a question about the Endwalker Healer Role Quest. I thought that turning into a Blasphemy completely destroyed your soul? Why does Fordola's pacifist pal get to still go to the afterlife? Is it because he was wrestling with the Blasphemification?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I have a question about the Endwalker Healer Role Quest. I thought that turning into a Blasphemy completely destroyed your soul? Why does Fordola's pacifist pal get to still go to the afterlife? Is it because he was wrestling with the Blasphemification?

I treated it as a metaphor, personally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel kinda dumb but what's the intended purpose of the Technical Step upgrade for dancers?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

ImpAtom posted:

I feel kinda dumb but what's the intended purpose of the Technical Step upgrade for dancers?

It’s a 0 step Standard Finish for free. So extra damage and the buff refresh.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

(EW Ending spoilers) I'm pretty sure re:blasphemies and the soul any transformations into blasphemies is a matter of aether being drained out and dynamis taking its place rather than a case of true obliteration. Considering Meteion can jump start dead worlds across the entire universe back to life using it, from whatever seat of identity or other information stored within isn't actually destroyed during a transformation, merely transferred over. The fact that people believe souls are destroyed in the process is most likely a matter of incomplete information because at that point nobody really knows about properties of the energy that blasphemies are composed of. There's a conflation between the seat of identity and the aetheric form understood to be the soul and it takes some more revelations to tease out a distinction between them.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

escape mechanism posted:

This one was full of good character moments: G’raha’s everything, the password scene, Alphinaud spilling the beans on Y’shtola’s Night Blessed moniker to Matoya, Nero scoring points against Cid.

A note on voice acting: the direction seemed worse than usual and Cid’s voice in particular felt rough. I don’t remember him having that voice at all, nor any long voiced Cid scene since ARR, to be fair.

Alphinaud being a well meaning dumbass is always fun.

Also, I believe 5.4 was released a year into the pandemic so I think a lot of the weirdness is with VAs needing to adjust to record at home.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Quick questions

1. What server are you all on?
2. If I transfer server will I get easy help since I play stoned af? 90 SMN/DNC so far

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Your soul has nothing to do with the state of your consciousness after death; it can be completely destroyed, as Emet-Selch's was, and you can still have a great afterlife and even pop back into the living world for a cameo appearance.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

just unlocked the titular quest for Endwalker

hoo fuckin' boy howdy, i'm gonna need a few minutes, game :cry:

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Barreft posted:

Quick questions

1. What server are you all on?
2. If I transfer server will I get easy help since I play stoned af? 90 SMN/DNC so far

1) there’s a list in the OP, but most NA goons play on Excalibur
2) I’m usually pretty drunk and don’t have much trouble.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Rand Brittain posted:

it can be completely destroyed, as Emet-Selch's was

This is totally wrong.

(spoilers through EW) We see Emet-Selch's soul return to the lifestream after the 5.0 end trial, and if somehow you failed to pick up on this in the moment or from 5.3, the Tales from the Shadows story + the EW plot make this explicit. Elidibus's soul was trapped as a result of 5.3, but not destroyed, and it seems pretty clear that it also returned to the lifestream after we returned from Elpis. We've only seen two, possibly three, souls get destroyed: the Sahagin priest in 2.x, Igeyorhm in 3.0, and possibly Lahabrea (possibly in 3.0 when Thordan absorbs it into the eye, or maybe in 4.0 when Estinien destroyed the eye, but honestly maybe when the eye was destroyed it was released into the lifestream).

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Edmund Lava posted:

1) there’s a list in the OP, but most NA goons play on Excalibur
2) I’m usually pretty drunk and don’t have much trouble.

k going to Excal it is

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

ImpAtom posted:

It's a 360 potency 15-yard AOE with a 1.5 sec GCD, so equivalent to a 600 potency attack with the standard 2.5sec GCD. That's real good. It also refreshes Standard Finish's buff which will come up occasionally.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

just unlocked the titular quest for Endwalker

hoo fuckin' boy howdy, i'm gonna need a few minutes, game :cry:

update: unlocked the 90 trial and uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh excuse me

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rand Brittain posted:

Your soul has nothing to do with the state of your consciousness after death; it can be completely destroyed, as Emet-Selch's was, and you can still have a great afterlife and even pop back into the living world for a cameo appearance.

Uhhhh the thing we do to Ascians (and Emet-Selch particularly) isn't soul destruction, it's trapping their soul so we can actually kill it and sent it to the afterlife instead of them being able to sneak away as souls to the void. More importantly this doesn't actually relate to how the Blasphemies function, Meteion takes the Aether of the Soul when the transformation happens, she doesn't destroy their soul she just drains it out and leaves behind the pure despair monster Dynamis being.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Lord_Magmar posted:

Uhhhh the thing we do to Ascians (and Emet-Selch particularly) isn't soul destruction, it's trapping their soul so we can actually kill it and sent it to the afterlife instead of them being able to sneak away as souls to the void. More importantly this doesn't actually relate to how the Blasphemies function, Meteion takes the Aether of the Soul when the transformation happens, she doesn't destroy their soul she just drains it out and leaves behind the pure despair monster Dynamis being.

What we do to Ascians is 100% shattering their soul, and is called out as such.

The bit about blasphemies is basically correct, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

that last trial was cool, but having done it and most of 83-90 group content blind i think i prefer watching videos first

dying i can handle, but dying multiple times and having no idea what killed me makes me irrationally pissed off at myself. ain't worth it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

hooray p3s down. we completely botched half of it, but gear upgrades really make the dps check lenient, lmao. that plus executing firestorms of asphodelos correctly is enough

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

dying multiple times and having no idea what killed me
Going from this to understanding what killed you and being able to internalize how to avoid it is called 'prog', and it's possibly the best part of the game.

On the other hand I hate the entire concept of Dark Souls so what will and won't trigger your Successful Accomplishment endorphins is subjective ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 16, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'd make a poor prog raider then i guess v:shobon:v

idk. what's funny is Sekiro is probably my #2 GOAT - it frustrated me at times, yeah, but nothing like as tilted as some of the encounters here; and the only difference i can ID is i'm so much slower to get the first hint about what i actually did wrong, maybe

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 16, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

don't get me wrong though that last dungeon & trial whipped rear end

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Watching guides before going into something is fine. Do what works for you.
Being able to figure out things blind is a nice skill to develop, in case you want to go into new content ASAP before guides come out, but it's not mandatory. You can wait until guides come out and watch those first.

Ibblebibble posted:

Re: Cid voice acting, that was around when Covid was kicking into gear and people started having to record at home, which is another factor into why it might sound so rough.
Cid also didn't have any voiced lines between the end of HW and 5.4 so people forgot what the VA sounds like. Also people still probably associate the ARR voice actor with the character still thanks to Praetorium.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the most fun I have in this game is doing fights blind. If it weren't for the sheer time commitment I'd love to do savage blind. As it is, I satisfy myself with ex trials

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Doing a new Alliance Raid on Day 1 is the funniest experience because you and twenty-three other people are going to all get owned at the exact same time when a mechanic you haven't seen before sends you flying.

Anyway Paradigm's Breach is the best.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

super-redguy posted:

Doing a new Alliance Raid on Day 1 is the funniest experience because you and twenty-three other people are going to all get owned at the exact same time when a mechanic you haven't seen before sends you flying.

Sometimes this still happens in Ivalice :allears:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I need to do Puppets Bunker for cat book/ TT card and I can't wait to get demolished in all the stuff I forgot

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

super-redguy posted:

Mathbot day 1 was wild poo poo.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I love Mathbot because he's the only part of the Ivalice raids where I feel even vaguely competent.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

super-redguy posted:

I would emphasize "Day 1" here. I tried this with Paradigm's Breach too, but I did MSQ first and didn't try Tower until it had been out for a day-ish.

I was very nearly the only one there that didn't know how to handle every mechanic. I assume the queues were just packed with people chain running it trying to get the hairstyles or specific glam pieces.

It was still "blind run" experience for me, I died many times, but there weren't any wipes.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

super-redguy posted:

Paradigm's Breach day 1 was so much fun

Got to see every single mechanic on all those bosses :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Day 1 alliance raids as a BLM lets me flex on people who learn slower than me.