Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Nuns with Guns posted:

A true master of LARP knows when to enter a state where you manifest a play-pretend Stand hard enough to move mountains and when to keep it on the DL and the twitter leftists are holding us all back from this mass awakening or something.

I don't understand at all how people keep trying to do these stunts with NFTs like they're some magic totem against IP laws, but I guess the answer is "they're all credulous morons or scammers" and I should spend brain power doing something else?

It helps when you realize they think they're the next Elon Musk, and can get away with 'disrupting' IP law, while forgetting the reason that Musk and Co. get away with being open lawbreakers is that they are absurdly rich and can afford to stall in court and bribe politicians not to regulate them better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't understand at all how people keep trying to do these stunts with NFTs like they're some magic totem against IP laws, but I guess the answer is "they're all credulous morons or scammers" and I should spend brain power doing something else?

You know how Sovereign Citizens think if they say the magic words then they'll become like Neo in the Matrix but for the legal system and never have to pay taxes again? The Venn diagram isn't QUITE a perfect overlapping circle but it's pretty close.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

It helps when you realize they think they're the next Elon Musk, and can get away with 'disrupting' IP law, while forgetting the reason that Musk and Co. get away with being open lawbreakers is that they are absurdly rich and can afford to stall in court and bribe politicians not to regulate them better.

Also, even Elon isn't feckless enough to start advertising a Tesla Ford Hyundai.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Nuns with Guns posted:

for DAOs (decentralized autonomous organizations) specifically, there is this pervasive belief that since nobody’s in charge and all the DAO stakeholders’ decisions are executed by a smart contract instead of a person, they are insulated from any kind of liability to anyone at all because you can’t sue a bunch of computers

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Also DAOs are just another scheme to get you to buy crypto, since that gives you voting shares. They're inherently valueless, so they use the association with existing IPs to produce the illusion of value through the association and the media coverage.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
DAOs are basically a pyramid scheme except the guys on top seem to think that since "THE WILL OF THE DAO" is making the decisions then it's completely coincidental that they're making out like gangbusters.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Pretty cool that blockchain stuff by definition has a permanent record of all transactions, so the IRS catching up to cryptobros is easy as pie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"It's unregulated! IT'S UNREGULATED!" I scream as I flee into the night, having never dealt with the IRS in my entire lifetime.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ultiville posted:

I was bored enough to engage on Twitter today and someone spent a whole lot of time earnestly telling me NFTs would do all sorts of things that we could already have done without them, so there are definitely some people who think they're some kind of magic spell.
They're just talking up the value of NFTs because they bought NFTs and want the value to go up; it's as simple as that. If you're bored while you're waiting for a cake to come out of the oven, cryptobros on Twitter are a bottomless well of stupid.

Of course, even if society did start using blockchains to keep track of your mortgage payments or whatever, it's totally irrelevant to whether a receipt for a URL to a JPEG of a monkey in sunglasses is a valuable speculative asset.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Halloween Jack posted:

They're just talking up the value of NFTs because they bought NFTs and want the value to go up; it's as simple as that. If you're bored while you're waiting for a cake to come out of the oven, cryptobros on Twitter are a bottomless well of stupid.

Of course, even if society did start using blockchains to keep track of your mortgage payments or whatever, it's totally irrelevant to whether a receipt for a URL to a JPEG of a monkey in sunglasses is a valuable speculative asset.
A common (and accurate) criticism of crypto is that everything involving crypto is basically a multi-level marketing scheme, only the concept of the downline is atomized. You buy into crypto, then, rather than personally selling crypto to other people, you tell them to buy their own crypto, quietly assuming that the more people invest in crypto, the more legitimized it is as a currency. The more legitimized it is as a currency, the more their own crypto is (in theory) worth.

It's also why gold sellers want you to buy gold, but not to buy gold from them, specifically.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
as I understand it, the other level to crypto and NFTs is that it gets around a lot of regulations on venture capitalism, IPOs, and insider trading: even if it only covers the scope of crypto itself as a speculative market, people can pour as much money they can into a crypto venture without being limited to "fundraising waves", and they can talk about "xyz is putting a lot of money into abc NFTs" openly and publicly without running afoul of the SEC

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Which also makes it a great vehicle for money laundering. Yeah, I'm a big dumb idiot who thinks a NFT of Trent Williams making a tackle is gonna be worth a zillion dollars, I definitely didn't buy a suitcase full of cocaine.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Roadie posted:

Also, even Elon isn't feckless enough to start advertising a Tesla Ford Hyundai.

Get the Elon Musk NFT!

Nissan Ford Teslas at a dealership near you*!

*All purches are for a URL linking to a jpeg of the latest car. No physical assets included

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

NFTs exist, such as they do, on the Greater Fool Theory. For them to be worth money there must be a bigger sucker out there.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Frozen Peach posted:

Phil Eklund is at it again with a long thread full of "definitions" for political viewpoints that are, in his opinion, undefined. So that's fun.

https://twitter.com/SeanFranco_/status/1493245292690485259

I am not sure exactly who this guy is but that sounds like sovereign citizen talk. Like he’s chanting a spell he saw in some YA novel.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Rhandhali posted:

I am not sure exactly who this guy is but that sounds like sovereign citizen talk. Like he’s chanting a spell he saw in some YA novel.

But that is basically Sovereign Citizen woo in a nutshell: Magic incantations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Omnicrom posted:

Really boring ones, too. "Braxity Brax, Won't Pay the Tax".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Omnicrom posted:

Like the 'your court flag is a NAVAL flag and we are on DRY GROUND' that I've seen some people actually try to push?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Halloween Jack posted:

Which also makes it a great vehicle for money laundering. Yeah, I'm a big dumb idiot who thinks a NFT of Trent Williams making a tackle is gonna be worth a zillion dollars, I definitely didn't buy a suitcase full of cocaine.

Kind of the opposite really. Money laundering relies on currency being indistinguishable from other currency, crypto is the exact opposite of that. It is trivial to track back through transactions once you know the wallet involved, which is how the Justice Department recently arrested two people for trying to launder the proceeds of the theft of ~120k bitcoin from Bitfinex in 2016.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/02/08/bitfinex-hack-bitcoin-arrests/

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Where do Wizards "hint at their own NFT plans" in that? Asserting you don't want other people to use your trademarks in the Nazi flag market space doesn't mean you are planning to put out Nazi flags yourself, it might just mean you do not want your valuable brand associated with Nazi flags.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Warthur posted:

Where do Wizards "hint at their own NFT plans" in that? Asserting you don't want other people to use your trademarks in the Nazi flag market space doesn't mean you are planning to put out Nazi flags yourself, it might just mean you do not want your valuable brand associated with Nazi flags.

I can only assume because so many people are convinced of the magical properties of NFTs that the only way they can imagine Wizards not loving this amazing idea is if they already have their own plan for it.

This is of course absurd, but, well, once you filter for NFT true believers you've done some powerful pre-selection for absurdity.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

Apparently it comes from somebody approaching Wizards with an NFT proposal and was rejected, which :airquote: obviously :airquote: means that they've got their own NFT plans in the works. While possible, I guess, Hasbro tried Power Rangers NFT a while ago and it did not go well.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Warthur posted:

"While Wizards is currently evaluating its future plans regarding NFTs and the MAGIC: THE GATHERING cards..."

I mean I don't think that means they're definitely getting ready to mint some Planeswalkers or anything, that's just the answer to the question of "Where are people seeing a hint?"

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Hasbro already flirted with NFTs with a set of Power Ranger tokens on WAX, so it's not crazy on the face of it. However WotC has only mentioned it as something 'they're thinking about' during an investor call last year, and that CEO actually passed away since then. So, nothing definite, and certainly nothing like Ubisoft's Quartz.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also the Power Rangers NFTs went over like lead balloon so they're unlikely to risk their golden goose on it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Like the 'your court flag is a NAVAL flag and we are on DRY GROUND' that I've seen some people actually try to push?

yeah.

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.pdf

here's a brilliant decision handed down in a Canadian court which outlines a lot of the horseshit magic words these people get up to

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Liquid Communism posted:

Kind of the opposite really. Money laundering relies on currency being indistinguishable from other currency, crypto is the exact opposite of that. It is trivial to track back through transactions once you know the wallet involved, which is how the Justice Department recently arrested two people for trying to launder the proceeds of the theft of ~120k bitcoin from Bitfinex in 2016.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/02/08/bitfinex-hack-bitcoin-arrests/

A few years back some genius turned their money into crypto and immediately used it to hire a hitman. Authorities were watching the hitman's wallet, there was a single step back to the exchange, and those guys were quite happy to hand over the ID of the guy who bought crypto from them,.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

hexwren posted:

yeah.

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.pdf

here's a brilliant decision handed down in a Canadian court which outlines a lot of the horseshit magic words these people get up to

Brilliant exactly up to the point where the judge purports that the very idea that the US might be abusing a for-profit prison system is absurd, lol.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bruceski posted:

A few years back some genius turned their money into crypto and immediately used it to hire a hitman. Authorities were watching the hitman's wallet, there was a single step back to the exchange, and those guys were quite happy to hand over the ID of the guy who bought crypto from them,.

Cryptodudes keep getting caught trying to hire hitmen. That happened with silk road the drug marketplace too -unless that's a retelling of that story. One of the two guys running the site got cuffed, and went silent/state evidence so the other assumed he'd just scammed him and ran off with the bitcoin wallets he'd had when they were seized.
So the other nerd goes on the darkweb and hires a hitman to kill his former business partner -except the hitman is actually a federal agent. So he winds up giving the feds a direct path to him, and link to the drug with the attempt to hire a murderer.
Funny enough the story took another twist when one of the federal agents went rogue and drained the bitcoin wallets in the state's possenand fled.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Look if I brought a character named CARL MARK FORCE IV to the table my group would laugh me out of the room.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
To be fair, the fact that people are accidentally ripping WotC a new one for mistakenly believing they're developing something NFT related is probably good for society :v:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, I said it with the Kickstarter blockchain stuff: When companies even hint at doing something crypto-related they need to hear NO loudly and firmly from as much of their user base as possible, ideally accompanied by financial consequences. Otherwise they assume the absence of no is yes.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Kai Tave posted:

You know how Sovereign Citizens think if they say the magic words then they'll become like Neo in the Matrix but for the legal system and never have to pay taxes again? The Venn diagram isn't QUITE a perfect overlapping circle but it's pretty close.

If NFTBros are the SovCits of crypto, then Cryptoland is Epstein's Island and BitCoin are Objectivists.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Warthur posted:

In the actual screenshotted letter itself there's a passage that states:

quote:

While Wizards is currently evaluating its future plans regarding NFTs and the MAGIC: THE GATHERING cards, no decision has been made at this time.

Which is, I suppose, readable as "neither confirm nor deny" rather than just basic legalese boilerplate, but at the same time Hasbro has already dipped their toes into the NFT pool and there have been statements from them in the past that they're exploring the possibility of Magic NFTs like this one, so I think people are reasonable to be cynical.

Speaking of NFTs

https://twitter.com/Chaosium_Inc/status/1493874205124964355

The comments are, as usual, full of people insisting that this is a bad idea because everyone against NFTs are backwards-thinking luddites, including this hilarious reply

https://twitter.com/CassidyBurcher/status/1493894867063296003

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Sure is a lot of 'nfts are good, actually' in that statement, hmm.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Leraika posted:

Everybody wants to play both sides as much as they can, so that way they can always come out on top.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

For a while, the new hotness in crypto (I want to say around 2017?) was "bitwashing" or "bitlaundry", a technique to make is harder to trace specific transactions by "cleaning" them. Which was exactly what it sounds like, cryptobros re-inventing money laundering, and — from my perspective as someone who used to work in financial crime — being laughably bad at it.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Leraika posted:

Most of that stuff seems specifically along the lines of "VeVe are good, actually". If they put out a statement along the lines of "NFTs are rampant criminality and we made a terrible mistake in getting involved" they open themselves up for trouble from VeVe. Better to just disentangle themselves gracefully without giving VeVe reason to sue for defamation or whatever.

I'm not thrilled Chaosium got involved in the market but I am choosing to be glad they exited on the principle of "welcome behaviour you want to see, criticise behaviour you don't want to see". And the commitment that they'll never put out anything which requires NFT engagement to play their games with is nice because it helps tease out those "nooo, it's clearly the future of gaming!" reactions, which has NFT-boosters showing their rear end when they completely fail to enunciate any useful function an NFT can serve in a game.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 16, 2022

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

DigitalRaven posted:

For a while, the new hotness in crypto (I want to say around 2017?) was "bitwashing" or "bitlaundry", a technique to make is harder to trace specific transactions by "cleaning" them. Which was exactly what it sounds like, cryptobros re-inventing money laundering, and — from my perspective as someone who used to work in financial crime — being laughably bad at it.

Fighting financial crime or participating in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

Cryptodudes keep getting caught trying to hire hitmen.

One of the reasons for this is that "professional hitman for hire" isn't really a thing. You're not paying a professional who's done hits before with a professional code and experience, you're hiring some rando who thinks he could kill for money. Or a federal agent, because you're going around telling everyone you're looking for someone to commit conspiracy to murder with. Hiring some rando to kill your wife isn't exactly subtle behaviour.