Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
My wife wants a new laptop. She's got a 2012 Lenovo T530 right now

We'd like to have an SD port (definitely) and an optical drive (preferred) does anybody still make laptops with these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SD yes (though, often times it's microSD).

Optical drive, no. I don't know of a single new device today that has an optical drive.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 10, 2022

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
USB optical drives are remarkably inexpensive though, and probably make more sense since either you're leaving one disk in there anyway (in which case just copy it to a spare bit of hard drive space and you don't need the disk any more) or if you're changing disks a bunch anyway then the minor inconvenience of a wired thing isn't really gonna be that different.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
There are a few with optical drives but they are almost all wayyy overpriced by $500 or more probably because they know anyone who insists on optical probably doesn't know the market very well.

Get a external drive.

If you have a budget we can recommend the rest.

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?

Lockback posted:

Asus G14 would be great, it probably a little overpowered for gaming for you but if you don't mind stepping up to it you'll absolutely adore the laptop, especially if you liked the zenbook. Check reviews on it. It also looks kinda like a macbook and not like a RGB nightmare.

Thanks for the recommendation! Did you mean something like this https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-zephyrus/rog-zephyrus-g14-series/?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rid posted:

Thanks for the recommendation! Did you mean something like this https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-zephyrus/rog-zephyrus-g14-series/?

Yes. It's around $1,500 right now for the 3060, but if you're not in a rush it goes on sale about once a month or so for around $1,300

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
I found this in a local store:
https://www.coolblue.nl/product/893966/asus-zenbook-14-um425uaz-ki004w.html

Does that look too terrible to the thread?

The G14 looks awesome, but no integrated webcam is a bit of a bummer since I need one for teaching. And AFAICS the 2022 model isn't out until march. Given that my machine finally died last night, l need to find a replacement quickly.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rid posted:

I found this in a local store:
https://www.coolblue.nl/product/893966/asus-zenbook-14-um425uaz-ki004w.html

Does that look too terrible to the thread?

The G14 looks awesome, but no integrated webcam is a bit of a bummer since I need one for teaching. And AFAICS the 2022 model isn't out until march. Given that my machine finally died last night, l need to find a replacement quickly.

8GB of RAM is a bummer, and this won't be suitable for anything beyond VERY super light gaming. Otherwise Zenbooks are ok, nothing special but alright. If you're teaching I'd also generally recommend and external camera anyway, but yeah the G14's lack of a camera in the 20/21 models is a dealbreaker for some.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Is it worth waiting a few more months for the 2022 refresh of everyone's gaming laptops? It seems like the next-gen CPU's are a big improvement on both sides. There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of stock for last year's models anyway right now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

Is it worth waiting a few more months for the 2022 refresh of everyone's gaming laptops? It seems like the next-gen CPU's are a big improvement on both sides. There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of stock for last year's models anyway right now.

Asus has their refreshes already though I don't know if they are actually in stores anywhere. I'd assume Lenovo and HP will also have theirs. There won't be an NVidia series out for this pass, so the refreshes might be kinda of sporadic. I'd also expect the refreshes to be expensive for a while.

Basically, the 2022 probably won't have any significant discount until Sept-Nov this year. If you can wait, I'd probably wait till then OR jump on a good price drop on a 2021, being patient either way. If gaming is your thing the CPU won't be a big needle mover anyway.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I have a modded Thinkpad x201i from Hong Kong, with the new 51nb motherboard, 32g ram, 10810u cpu, 3k monitor from an x1 carbon routed in. I love it but having a hell of a time with the drivers. The wifi card is MT7921K WiFi 6E and is brand new so isn't merged with the new kernel. Anyway I love it,
looks cyberpunk.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Thinkpad T14 deal is more or less back. I don't think this one is quite as good but it's a little cheaper. Note the coupon code: THINKPDEALS2022

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpadt/t14-g2-amd/20xk0015us

$889 for a 14" fwith a Ryzen 5 5650 with 16GB of RAM

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Looking for recommendations on something really basic. Just need it to be able to connect to the plex server I run on my NAS, run YouTube and streaming services fine, and have have at least 1 usb port so I can plug an optical drive to it. I basically need the functionality of a smart TV but in laptop format. Should I just be looking at a chrome book, or are there other laptops I should be looking at? Any specific models to recommend?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cheese Thief posted:

I have a modded Thinkpad x201i from Hong Kong,

:golfclap: very jealous, what resolution screen are you running

Should be able to compile your own drivers, not as hard as it sounds

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Can anyone tell me if I should get a 4 year old used gaming notebook? Original price was 1900€, I could get it for 750€. Is that too much?
It's a MSI GE73 8RF Raider RGB, Intel Core i7-8750H, 16GB RAM, GTX1070 8GB.
If I look at new ~1100€ notebooks there are some with a RTX3060, is it worth spending 50% more for those?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Hadlock posted:

:golfclap: very jealous, what resolution screen are you running

Should be able to compile your own drivers, not as hard as it sounds

3″ thin-bezel, 3:2 aspect ratio, 3000*2000 rez, 400-450nits, 100% sRGB, glossy.
No trackpad, just the trackpoint and classic 7 row keyboard. Battery life seems good so far, haven't fully discharged it yet. Still trying to pick an OS and eventually compile those wifi6 drivers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

RabbitWizard posted:

Can anyone tell me if I should get a 4 year old used gaming notebook? Original price was 1900€, I could get it for 750€. Is that too much?
It's a MSI GE73 8RF Raider RGB, Intel Core i7-8750H, 16GB RAM, GTX1070 8GB.
If I look at new ~1100€ notebooks there are some with a RTX3060, is it worth spending 50% more for those?

I probably wouldn't spend that much on a 4 year old MSI. Longevity isn't one of their strong points and in particular that era of laptop tended to run hot and wear out fast.

I'd probably steer you new in this case. If it was like a 2060 from 2019 I'd probably say differently.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The used market value, pre pandemic of a 4 year old gaming laptop was approximately $450-600

Can't comment on current values

You might be overpaying though

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Alright, thanks! I found a (new) reduced "TUF F15 FX506HM-HN223" for 900€ instead of 1100€, think I'm gonna go with that one if there's an option to finance it over a few months.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Lockback posted:

Asus has their refreshes already though I don't know if they are actually in stores anywhere. I'd assume Lenovo and HP will also have theirs. There won't be an NVidia series out for this pass, so the refreshes might be kinda of sporadic. I'd also expect the refreshes to be expensive for a while.

Basically, the 2022 probably won't have any significant discount until Sept-Nov this year. If you can wait, I'd probably wait till then OR jump on a good price drop on a 2021, being patient either way. If gaming is your thing the CPU won't be a big needle mover anyway.

Decided to just go with a 2021 model when I saw this deal pop-up, it'll be a while before I can get 2022's at that kind of price point. https://www.reddit.com/r/LaptopDeals/comments/sqw3ce/lenovo_legion_5_amd_gaming_laptop_rtx_3060_130_w/

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Lockback posted:

The Thinkpad T14 deal is more or less back. I don't think this one is quite as good but it's a little cheaper. Note the coupon code: THINKPDEALS2022

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpadt/t14-g2-amd/20xk0015us

$889 for a 14" fwith a Ryzen 5 5650 with 16GB of RAM

How useful are the GPUs in these Ryzen laptops? My daughter has been asking for something for her to play portal 2 and the sims 4 on which I'm guessing these would fit the bill but not sure what else it might be useful for.

It would also double as a general purpose laptop for me so buying a 15" gaming laptop isn't in the cards.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Horn posted:

How useful are the GPUs in these Ryzen laptops? My daughter has been asking for something for her to play portal 2 and the sims 4 on which I'm guessing these would fit the bill but not sure what else it might be useful for.

It would also double as a general purpose laptop for me so buying a 15" gaming laptop isn't in the cards.

They are ok, pretty good for the Roblox/Minecraft/Sims/Portal side. if you go more demanding than that it'll start not being ideal.

That's a good all-arounder, more of a business laptop than gaming but it'll be as good as anything else without a GPU.

This Gigabyte for about the same (after rebate) is a better gaming machine by a lot, not quite as good for general purpose. (and is 15")
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834233489

btw, screen size has very little to do with laptop cost.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Lockback posted:

They are ok, pretty good for the Roblox/Minecraft/Sims/Portal side. if you go more demanding than that it'll start not being ideal.

That's a good all-arounder, more of a business laptop than gaming but it'll be as good as anything else without a GPU.

This Gigabyte for about the same (after rebate) is a better gaming machine by a lot, not quite as good for general purpose. (and is 15")
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834233489

btw, screen size has very little to do with laptop cost.

Thanks! I've been buying Lenovo's since they were ibm and this is the first time I've really given any thought to the gpu. Size is one of my concerns since the goal is to have her camp out next to me on my desk to do some co-op portal 2 and what not.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Horn posted:

Thanks! I've been buying Lenovo's since they were ibm and this is the first time I've really given any thought to the gpu. Size is one of my concerns since the goal is to have her camp out next to me on my desk to do some co-op portal 2 and what not.

I mean, The T14 is going to be a nicer laptop but for "I want to play some games" the 3050ti is going to be much better unless you won't play anything more intensive than Portal 2. So I guess it's a question of how much headroom you want for games beyond that level.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Lockback posted:

I probably wouldn't spend that much on a 4 year old MSI. Longevity isn't one of their strong points and in particular that era of laptop tended to run hot and wear out fast.

I'd probably steer you new in this case. If it was like a 2060 from 2019 I'd probably say differently.

Fwiw, I've got a huge 17" GT72 with a 970M/Broadwell from like 2016 and it's been rock solid.

I *did* just have to replace the battery (which was a bit of a pain in the dick) but probably took 1 hour tops and hopefully now have 6 more years.

Only thing that really pisses me off with it is 2 of the DIMM slots are on the backside of the mobo and I haven't gotten the courage to go that far into it, although I was 90% of the way there doing the battery.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
nevermind

Boat Stuck fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 15, 2022

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Been looking at gaming laptops this week to see the best deal I can find on a 2021 model. Looks like the RTX 3060s are in my price range, but I could save $1-250 with a GTX 1650 instead. I don’t currently play any ray traced games and eventually plan to get an RTX card for my desktop anyways, but is the 1650 going to perform a lot worse than the 3060?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

LuckyCat posted:

Been looking at gaming laptops this week to see the best deal I can find on a 2021 model. Looks like the RTX 3060s are in my price range, but I could save $1-250 with a GTX 1650 instead. I don’t currently play any ray traced games and eventually plan to get an RTX card for my desktop anyways, but is the 1650 going to perform a lot worse than the 3060?

Yes. The 3060 is about 100% faster across the board. Tbh its not a very good ray tracing card in general, but DLSS will give it some longevity.

Btw, the G14 with the 3060 is $1,250 right now from Bestbuy (store and ebay store). That's a great deal on my favorite gaming laptop, 14" and extremely portable.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

Yes. The 3060 is about 100% faster across the board. Tbh its not a very good ray tracing card in general, but DLSS will give it some longevity.

Btw, the G14 with the 3060 is $1,250 right now from Bestbuy (store and ebay store). That's a great deal on my favorite gaming laptop, 14" and extremely portable.

Thanks for this! I’m going to sit on it for a day or two but I’ll probably snag one of those from Best Buy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

My girlfriend is asking me to help her pick out a laptop for her mom; I know desktop PC stuff pretty well but I actually don't know dick about laptops these days.

Any kind goons want to fill me in on what's popular and well built these days? She won't be playing games on there so I don't think a dGPU is actually required, and she values long term reliability over a strict budget limit. Probably Windows based, are Chromebooks still a thing?

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Is it just my bad luck, or do higher wattage laptop power adapters tend not to work on airplanes?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Most airplane outlets are limited to 75w or so.

So, if you need to juice up on a plane, best to use a 60w USB-C adapter.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

bull3964 posted:

Most airplane outlets are limited to 75w or so.

So, if you need to juice up on a plane, best to use a 60w USB-C adapter.

Ohh, that's not a bad idea. And as long as I don't try to play games I think 60 W should be enough.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Noooo you want a 65w power adapter; a lot of laptops (Dell in particular) will not charge while in use if the charger isn't at least 65W. Sorry to nit-pick

60W is a nice round number and matches a lot of light bulb stuff, but absolutely get 65W if you have the option

Here is the updated version of the power adapter I have, it's $20, that's like 30 cents per watt: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-One-Port-Charger-Laptops-Delivery/dp/B087MFLLCR

Actually I have three of these, one is in my travel bag, one my wife adopted, and the third one is sitting on my desk for some reason. They're great, and they're cheap.

I've recently adopted this one for home-office use, it has 2x USB-C PD ports, it can do 1x 100w or 2x50w and then it gets split up as you plug in more ports. Unfortunately it's slightly too big to travel with, and the external cord is annoying. But with 2x USB-C PD ports and 100w output it's a good option, if extremely pricey ($110 today)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VSMK849/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hadlock posted:

Noooo you want a 65w power adapter; a lot of laptops (Dell in particular) will not charge while in use if the charger isn't at least 65W. Sorry to nit-pick

My XPS 13 came with, and charges with, a 45w adapter as do most Thinkpads

My G15 charges just fine with a 60w adapter as well.

It's moot anyways as most new chargers at that power range are 65w.

I personally wouldn't buy a non-PPS adapter today.
https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Anke...aps%2C73&sr=8-4

$10 more but PPS is going to be far more versatile in the long run.

This guy is a bit more expensive (but on sale right now) and is super compact.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Anke...aps%2C73&sr=8-3

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
This is hopefully obvious but make sure you test it before you get on the plane.

My Lenovo is extremely finicky about what chargers it will accept using the slim tip. I think 230W might be the minimum.
It is much more forgiving over USB-C and will charge off 65W.

But plenty of gaming laptops/workstations need more than that over USB-C. The Dells I've had recently I always needed to plug in the power brick as well as USB-C when trying to dock to a TB3 that nominally provides 90W. This HP zBook too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wow that thing looks rad. I have an Anker uh, 15w in that form factor. The downside is that it's so small it needs a lanyard so you can hook it on your keychain, I haven't seen mine in months but occasionally it will turn up

What is PPS and what does it give you. For $10 more you get a PPS model same brand same form factor

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

Wow that thing looks rad. I have an Anker uh, 15w in that form factor. The downside is that it's so small it needs a lanyard so you can hook it on your keychain, I haven't seen mine in months but occasionally it will turn up

What is PPS and what does it give you. For $10 more you get a PPS model same brand same form factor
Programmable Power Supply, it's part of the latest PD spec and lets the device change the voltage and current on the fly. I think it's mostly for phones to improve fast charging so they don't have to convert it onboard.

https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/D2T2-1%20-%20USB%20Power%20Delivery.pdf

My X1 charges from a 30W PD supply, although pretty slowly and while complaining about it. Still it's nice to know I can take the smaller charger if I'm really short on space.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The 65W advice is good advice. A lot of laptops will still charge at 60W but might have to step down all the way to 40W or even 30W to do it. Always try to get a USB-C charger that matches the top-end charging wattage of the laptop, because it steps down.

PittTheElder posted:

My girlfriend is asking me to help her pick out a laptop for her mom; I know desktop PC stuff pretty well but I actually don't know dick about laptops these days.

Yup, chromebooks are still a thing. If Windows is negotiable the macbook air kinda blows everything else out of the water, totally silent, pretty durable and a battery that can go for days (literally) for under $1000. If it needs to be Windows, there's good choices, imo consumer laptop quality has improved the last few years. Do you have a budget?

This HP is a solid deal for about $620
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-pavilion-laptop-15t-eg100-touch-optional-43f54av-1
Might be a bit more than she needs but I like the Pavilions for mom laptops. You can step up to the slightly brighter screen for $60 too if you'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hadlock posted:

As mentioned, PPS is Programmable Power Supply and is part of USB-PD 3.0 specification. It's useful for small mobile devices and what the majority (that are USB-PD spec following) are aligning behind for fast charging. Samsung has used it since 2018 for the fastest charge of their devices, Google is using it now as well. Even devices like OnePlus who use proprietary charging to get their superfast speeds, support PPS to get faster than normal USB-PD 2.0 charging when a PPS adapter is used.

Phones need voltages to not exceed 9-11v for the most part due to the heat involved in transforming the voltage to something the lithium ion cell uses and PPS allows for high, on the fly, variability of voltage and current so that the device can ride the highest safe charging curve for the battery that's in it to charge as fast as possible.

Lockback posted:

Always try to get a USB-C charger that matches the top-end charging wattage of the laptop, because it steps down.

Though, again, the conversation started around charging on a plane and quite a few laptops will charge higher than 65w on USB-C which will overdraw and shutoff the power outlets at the seat. 65w is usually a good broad baseline of minimum power.