Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

priznat posted:

Why does a robot drone eat berries, sip coffee and have a big ol butt tho??

Maybe we build robots differently ? I don;t judge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The gas makes even less sense when what little lore exists seems to indicate that you're some kind of robotic drone controlled by the company. People have been complaining about the item slots for a long time and the devs have acknowledged it, they're not changing it because the intention is to completely rework the equipment system instead of just adding more body slots. Like a lot of quality of life things, it's best to just mod them in yourself for now.

Fair enough.

Do mods interfere with multiplayer? I'm entirely in this multiplayer so far, it's big enough that I'm super daunted by the idea of restarting in single player, doubly so when my first few hours of play would be without all the QOL stuff from mid to high level play like he xeno basher and the blade runners.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tenebrais posted:

Pretty sure Ficsit sends humans because actual robotic drones would be too expensive to risk them not surviving planetfall.

They tried sending robots already, that's what the crash sites are!

thespaceinvader posted:

Fair enough.

Do mods interfere with multiplayer? I'm entirely in this multiplayer so far, it's big enough that I'm super daunted by the idea of restarting in single player, doubly so when my first few hours of play would be without all the QOL stuff from mid to high level play like he xeno basher and the blade runners.

Yes, in that if you are in multiplayer everyone needs to be running the same modloader version & set of mods just to connect to the same game. No, in that most mods work totally fine in multiplayer.

Also the mod manager is very easy and has a quick on/off switch on the front, so enabling & disabling mods is at least fast.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The blade runners, gas mask, hazmat suit should just be upgrades you unlock.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Mods in the game are also extremely safe to add/remove mid game. If you remove a mod the things it added to the worldspace just straight up poof, no fuss.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Is there a "big release" that's being prepared to launch soon or do they generally just drip small changes one by one over time? I've been meaning to do a second run of this, but at the same time I'm hoping to do it once the game is feature complete.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is there a "big release" that's being prepared to launch soon or do they generally just drip small changes one by one over time? I've been meaning to do a second run of this, but at the same time I'm hoping to do it once the game is feature complete.

Update 5 just dropped a few weeks ago. They will drip things in on the experimental branch and then roll them up into big updates every so often. There's no word on how much farther they have to go or when 1.0 will drop afaik.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The last part of the Ficsmas event got me again. Every step its "oh this isn't too hard" up until the very last item when the game is like "lol triple your production now" and you have to make like 2 more of every machine, hope you left yourself enough room!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DreadCthulhu posted:

Speculation, but the way they talk in dev updates makes it sound like there's going to be at least one more big update before the final version launches. As far as core gameplay goes there's still a final tier of items to unlock (stuff like quantum computers and dark matter) which will probably have something to do with a production machine called the quantum encoder which was datamined a long time ago. Northern Spire Coast is still due for a major rework in an upcoming terrain update, I'm guessing the island in the southwest of the map might become accessible in the same patch since it's kind of a weird outstanding area with nothing there at the moment. SAM ore and the collectibles probably won't need their own update before the final release because they're going to be tied in with the story which will release with 1.0

Would be nice if they released it all at once though. I've been playing the game for a long time and the underlying systems are great, but there's always the lack of real purpose to what you're doing. You can complete the space elevator deliveries but you don't know why so it's just another arbitrary win condition like trophies until the story is implemented.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I think that they have some stuff in mind for further production, if not another possible tier or something to unlock with the space elevator. The current last phase of the space elevator is pretty insane and I have never done it. I was looking at the quantum computer and superposition oscillator and those give some breadcrumbs about where we might be headed, unless it's just a red herring.

They mention teleportation and spatial positioning or something like that. I am hoping that the next tier of production might allow teleportation or portals or something. That would be sweet. Or maybe even dropships that can be piloted and used to deliver stuff (kinda like drones but they consume nuclear fuel or something).

I know that they have been working on the game a long time and continue to add new stuff, and that they have said some things won't make it in (no snow biome, no sea shipping, for example) but they are also big trolls that are keeping things vague.

The only thing that I dread is the next level of production machine after the manufacturer. The constructor is 1 input, assembler is 2, and then manufacturer is 4... would the next one double again to 8 inputs? That is absolute madness and a complete logistical nightmare. 6 might be doable, but sheesh...

The next tier should totally be personal teleportation pads that can be placed and can teleport you around the map. There should be a dropship or something. Maybe there could be an EVA suit and a spacewalk map on a moon with new creatures, new hazards, and new challenges like that. There could be space station production for zero-g and you could build gravity-well generators that keep things glued into place and little launch pads that hurl stuff out into the void to transport it between mini stations.

I dunno, I am just spitballin'. I really do love this game though and I haven't even really gotten into trains let along the last tier of production.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Did I mess up Ficsmas? I know I got a red ornament from the calendar, and I have been pretty buy and barely played, but i am stuck in my MAM research until i get one, and I cant for the life of me find it. I want to say I used it for some other unlock, but I cant do the level 1 tree upgrade so my progress is essentially nil

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I want metal gear style fulton devices for picking up resources when you’re exploring with fast moving drones :haw:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Roundboy posted:

Did I mess up Ficsmas? I know I got a red ornament from the calendar, and I have been pretty buy and barely played, but i am stuck in my MAM research until i get one, and I cant for the life of me find it. I want to say I used it for some other unlock, but I cant do the level 1 tree upgrade so my progress is essentially nil

If you've lost the red ornament from the advent calendar you can progress by cheating yourself in another one using the save editor on the Satisfactory Map site.

https://satisfactory-calculator.com/en/interactive-map

Without the ornament I don't think there's any way to continue.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Too bad this won't ever happen, because it isn't economically viable to do so, but rebasing this on Unreal 5 would be sweet. All the new stuff is up in the wheel house for this game. The world streaming and Nanite. I've been hauling rear end in the train back and forth a lot lately due to a base move, and noticed as soon you're moving about faster than running speeds (more so at elevated positions or looking far), the world tiling stuff, asset spawning and related LODs break down noticeably.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

Fireworks have a little bit of a graphical issue.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I made my first planned structure: 120 coal burners to eat 1800 coal.

It was only afterwards i realized it was an IKEA.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Killstick posted:

I made my first planned structure: 120 coal burners to eat 1800 coal.

It was only afterwards i realized it was an IKEA.

That’s amazing. How many coal inputs do you do? Do you keep the 8/3 generator/water extractor ratio? Did you think about using soft clip on the roof to have the smokestacks poking out for aesthetics?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
You put 120 filthy coal plants… inside a building? Can you imagine the spot covering that place?

(Great build, BTW)

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Six coal inputs, each 300/min feeding 20 generators. 12 water inputs each feeding 10 generators with 4 water extractors (they're overproducing slightly, 480 produced vs 450 demand, i could underclock them but eh). I was originally going to have the roof much lower but i wanted to have it be pretty bright inside and the lights need to be so high up to get any coverage. Anyone know how to light tight spaces?

Killstick fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 29, 2021

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Just lower the roof so the smoke goes outside!

Problem solved!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Killstick posted:

I was originally going to have the roof much lower but i wanted to have it be pretty bright inside and the lights need to be so high up to get any coverage. Anyone know how to light tight spaces?

If you want the lights to be functional "I can see to work in here" lights, then no you kinda have to have a high roof, or a stupid number of low-intensity lights.

If you're ok with lights being "holy gently caress it looks awesome in here at night" accents, you can put them in low ceilings. Or use the wall lights with angle as spotlights, or clip streetlights into pillars. I do a lot of that type of thing and it's pretty useless as far as being work lights. At night I just wander around and admire how cool things look.

The way I'd put the smokestacks through the roof would be to have a way more complicated roofline. Low where the stacks are so they can poke up, then slant up to the level those lights are at both along the centerline and over the place where the gens are back-to-back. Sort of a big + shape to the peak line. But that would take a lot more effort, and also is pretty annoying if you don't have the jet or hoverpack.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How do mods work (if at all) with a dedicated server? Is there client side only mods?

I have a friend who might greatly benefit from a 3rd person mod, but I'm currently hosting the server via a dedicated second machine.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
iirc mods have to be on the server AND client to work

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My group finished the final stage yesterday. I forgot to get a screenie of my gold mug.

Then we spent a couple hours goofing around with factory carts and now we're trying to find something new.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 25, 2022

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

My group finished the final stage yesterday. I forgot to get a screenie of my gold mug.

Then we spent a couple hours goofing around with factory carts and now we're trying to find something new.

I got my nephew into this game no long ago, and we did a little bit of multiplayer so he could show me what he'd done. He'd seen my world earlier, but went completely his own way with his which was fun to see.

He said he'd recently unlocked the factory carts, but thought they were useless. I told him that they were actually pretty good on foundations, and that I'd read of a mad bastard who used them instead of conveyor belts to move things around his factory.

Then we made a skate park and had factory-cart X-Games for two hours. High point was using the curved-corner foundations to make a round tunnel and having barrel-roll competitions.

Good times.

(He's 33)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

That last sentence gave me mental image whiplash

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

How do mods work (if at all) with a dedicated server? Is there client side only mods?

I have a friend who might greatly benefit from a 3rd person mod, but I'm currently hosting the server via a dedicated second machine.

AFAIK mods don't work at all with the dedicated server. If you want a modded "server" you run the full game with mods and host multiplayer that way.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

VegasGoat posted:

AFAIK mods don't work at all with the dedicated server. If you want a modded "server" you run the full game with mods and host multiplayer that way.

This is currently the case. However, modding for the dedicated server is coming and some progress has already been made according to the modding discord.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Trying to make a factory cart park really made me realise that the build elements are quite limited in places, as did trying to make arched bridges. I really wish there was a full range of foundation angles from 1x8 ramp right up to 8x1 ramp.

Kinda doesn't matter, I definitely don't see myself persisting with a solo world, this game is just way too big for me on my own, i was already going off it solo before we finished it multi.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm working on phase 8 and I've mostly taken over the northwest of the map. That said, I keep discovering new stuff even near my current bases, though! Adventuring with the Explorer is a lot of fun. I like to honk and the lizard doggos.

It is a big map and there's a lot of secret caves and interesting stuff they've made to find. I'm hoping the alien artifacts lead to some new stuff when they get to release. I like getting to a new spot and being like wow that's beautiful! Of course then I have to whip out the nobelisk and concrete and pave over paradise.

I'm working on sorting out the garbage fire that is the accumulated cruft of my bases that were mostly slapped together to get milestones done, resulting in a lot of conveyors and stuff everywhere. It doesn't seem hard to be a little more organized in the game, but when you're unlocking things and you don't know what you'll need next it often ends up being poorly set up. Interestingly the alt recipes available from hard drives help a lot with the overall production setup for some things. Often the input difference seems negligible but the output has a lot more units per minute.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The alternate recipes are tremendously variable but the good ones will make your factories just wildly more efficient (and e.g. Coke Steel means you can make steel products off just iron and oil which makes life a lot easier on certain things, similarly Electrode Circuit Boards and anything that kills screws from anything) - and yeah, playing through the first time is jumbly as heck because you never know what you need more or less of - playing through after getting up to the start of the final phase on one world made us much more able to do things sensibly on the next, but even then we wound up with some very messy train spaghetti (with a single trunk route that was way overused in one place that really needed expanding into multiple lines in each direction) rather than the previous very messy conveyor spaghetti.

If I was to finish my single player world I'd almost certainly continue the project I've already started, which is stopping pretty much as soon as trains are unlocked and just building a complete worldwide rail system (in my case I set it super high up, but I'd probably go a lot lower down that I have done so far and just accept the occasional bit not being flat with straight lines and nice corners, and working from there to basically make a world-factory.

But like I said, this game is feeling way too big for me alone, I'd wind up sinking far too much time into it.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 28, 2022

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, I've gotten to the point of the big steel product space elevator unlock point and I kinda decided I hate where I've built my base. I started in the southern grasslands, then moved west and built along the coast, basically from the waterfall up to the poison island where the oil deposits are. My problem is I'm miles from any good quartz or sulphur deposits and they are about to become important. It seems like the desert has more of what I want, but I don't want to just restart from the beginning.

What are the best options for moving a bulk amount of materials over to the desert so I can build up a factory in that region? Is it really worth it? Do I pave a route over and just have trucks delivering a fuckload of supplies? Multiple trips in my explorer? Say gently caress it and just abandon my starting area wholesale, bring my hub and whatever else over?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just bring your hub, enough materials to bootstrap a new base, and run a power line from the old. It'll keep being useful.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Yeah and then later you can put a fence around it and a huge sign that says "mess museum"

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

So, I've gotten to the point of the big steel product space elevator unlock point and I kinda decided I hate where I've built my base. I started in the southern grasslands, then moved west and built along the coast, basically from the waterfall up to the poison island where the oil deposits are. My problem is I'm miles from any good quartz or sulphur deposits and they are about to become important. It seems like the desert has more of what I want, but I don't want to just restart from the beginning.

What are the best options for moving a bulk amount of materials over to the desert so I can build up a factory in that region? Is it really worth it? Do I pave a route over and just have trucks delivering a fuckload of supplies? Multiple trips in my explorer? Say gently caress it and just abandon my starting area wholesale, bring my hub and whatever else over?

Sounds like you've taken a pretty standard path of expansion, you can always tear everything down and relocate if you want but that's a lot of effort just to make the same stuff you already had. From the western oil islands you have a bunch of quartz to the east and sulfur nodes south of that and in the starting grasslands area. If you're just trying to get through the quartz and sulfur branches of the MAM tree you can get through both easily with basic outposts and hand crafting. It will probably be a while before you need to worry about using the quartz for larger crystal oscillator production or sulfur for battery production and by the time you're there you'll have either trains or drone networks established. Distance becomes less of an issue as you progress and it's generally not worth the effort of relocating or starting over.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

You will also eventually have to bring in resources from across the map.

But filling your explorer and taking a couple of trips with enough resources to get started is the better strategy. No point taking your old base apart. If you want to, you can hook all the outputs into a sink and just use it for tickets. Or let storages fill up and have it go idle. Depends on your power situation really.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
You could do what I did, and start a new save :negative:

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Elmnt80 posted:

My problem is I'm miles from any good quartz or sulphur deposits and they are about to become important. It seems like the desert has more of what I want, but I don't want to just restart from the beginning.

I think the important thing to realize is there is no single good spot to build a base that you can play the entire game through. You will end up building a number of satellite factories as you begin to tech up. It happens to some degree with coal, then oil, then quartz, then aluminum and eventually nuclear.

If you want to move the 'center of mass' for your manufacturing at some point that's fine, I would say wait until you have hypertubes then just connect your bases that way.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

All the starting areas have some place relatively near them which has coal and iron in close proximity. Put your first few coal generators out there and your first few smelters, it gives you the ability to make enough steel pipe to link the spots via hypertube. Now anywhere you think you might want to visit again can be on the tube network, it makes forgetting things much less aggravating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Had the bug to play and I finally pushed to the final assembly tier and I'm giving myself a headache thinking about the sheer size of the factory I'll need to make to enable these production lines. My factory feels cramped as I'm constantly reminded that all the buildings are gargantuan. I should probably rip out everything but power and make a big foundation in the sky or something.