Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Battlebots floor strikes again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Honestly I wish the floor was more irregular. Give it a gently sloping hill in one spot, some ramps, some rumble strips, anything to disrupt this ground game poo poo.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It sounded like Deep Six's driver wanted Smeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to tip them even further forwards so their weapon would hit the floor and flip them back out but that also could have gone horribly wrong. :v:

Deep Six's weapon does NOT need to keep slicing holes in the floor of the Battlebox.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

El Fideo posted:

Honestly I wish the floor was more irregular. Give it a gently sloping hill in one spot, some ramps, some rumble strips, anything to disrupt this ground game poo poo.

Allow guns and explosives and fight in a forest.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Allow guns and explosives and fight in a forest.

I'm into it

Some way to make walkers actually viable would be really fun. And I mean walkers, not shufflebots

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I could see the sport eventually moving towards something more like a "stock" format. You get a, b, c, or d chassis, give it e, f, g, or h wheels, armor made from I, j, or k etc., maybe on a point buy system or something. I definitely think that's a long way off, since the focus right now is split between iterations of the meta defined by Bite Force, and innovations attempting to break that meta.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You'll see a lot of smaller weight divisions that there are 5-6 common kits floating around. Someone pays $600 and assembles it and slaps a unique paintjob on it and competes. I get it if you're just there to see how the competition works for the first time, but a few of them have been running for several years, which seems extremely lame to me.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think something as simple as making the floor deliberately bumpy would do a lost to change up designs.

I'd also like to see lower weight class fights. Probably something in the 100lbs range. Maybe as a team fight.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Xelkelvos posted:

I think something as simple as making the floor deliberately bumpy would do a lost to change up designs.

I'd also like to see lower weight class fights. Probably something in the 100lbs range. Maybe as a team fight.

Yeah, even just having 1-2 floor plates that are slightly bowed inward/outward would have a huge impact.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Or if you couldn't modify between fights-- so you had to design a bot to reasonably take on all comers rather than being able to slap on or off accessories or different weapons per opponent. One possible outcome of this is of course evolution to homogeneity but that just provides the incentive for a radical new design built to beat whatever had coalesced before.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Qwijib0 posted:

Or if you couldn't modify between fights-- so you had to design a bot to reasonably take on all comers rather than being able to slap on or off accessories or different weapons per opponent. One possible outcome of this is of course evolution to homogeneity but that just provides the incentive for a radical new design built to beat whatever had coalesced before.

Wasn't there a rule limiting modifications after Hydra v HUGE? (I think it was Hyrda, IIRC). I mean that wide cowcatcher fence... thing that was added specifically to hose HUGE. I know a lot of people thought it was egregious, even if it was in the bounds of the rules at the time. But I can't remember if it actually caused a rule change. Stuff like that seems pretty lame (not to mention it was overkill versus HUGE).

At the risk of using yet another MTG comparison, I could see limiting mods similar to sideboards to MTG. You can't swap out your whole deck between games, but you get 15 cards compared to the 60 in your deck, and they're the same throughout the tournament regardless of opponent. In Battlebots, I could see limiting mods to a certain percentage of a bot's weight and/or dimensions, and a team can bring only a certain amount of them into a tournament and just make them work for whatever opponents they draw.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm not sure about the rule change but that was definitely Hydra. It was kind of bullshit and further cemented the heel status of Team Whyachi.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The thing with that fight wasn't the swap for the catcher, it's that it specifically disabled their main weapon and they won by doing nothing. They also started ignoring the ref after that

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xelkelvos posted:

gently caress, team fights would be rad in the 250lbs division. Especially if they could coordinate and retool their bots so that they complemented each other's strengths and weaknesses

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Rumbles in lower weight classes are pretty common, and imo, kinda poo poo

There's too much going on and no actual coordination

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ante posted:

I think that's partly due to arena size versus speed.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Don't forget the last Battlebots rumble had Blacksmith gently caress over Duck to get into the tournament.

Also a rumble is probably what got Comedy Central to stop running Battlebots back in the day too, since that is where a part of Nightmare got out of the box...

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Don't forget the last Battlebots rumble had Blacksmith gently caress over Duck to get into the tournament.
That was Bombshell (unless I forget some other rumble) in the most absolute bullshit moment since Bombshell had been immobile for more than 30 seconds and only came to life right at the end while Duck had purged the arena.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The Lightweight class (60 lb) was the most fun class in the Comedy Central days, I'd love to get some of those again. It's cheaper to build those too, so we may see more variation in design and different teams.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

El Fideo posted:

I could see the sport eventually moving towards something more like a "stock" format. You get a, b, c, or d chassis, give it e, f, g, or h wheels, armor made from I, j, or k etc., maybe on a point buy system or something. I definitely think that's a long way off, since the focus right now is split between iterations of the meta defined by Bite Force, and innovations attempting to break that meta.

That sounds incredibly loving boring

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

El Fideo posted:

Lone Goat posted:

That sounds incredibly loving boring
If you wanna see what that would kind of look like in heavyweight classes, check out the Robot Wars Battle of the Stars episodes from 2016.

Spoilers: It's not very interesting and spinners still dominate

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

El Fideo posted:

I think it's pretty clear this is just not going to happen with Battlebots. Especially not as long as Greg Munson and Trey Roski keep running the show.

And also Battlebots is pretty unique in that the builders & their sponsors put a lot of money into the bots and basically get nothing in return, which is pretty much the main reason Biteforce hasn't been on the last 2 seasons. So it logically wouldn't work if they forced the builders to put all their money in a specific bot design, because a lot of the teams just wouldn't compete if they had to build x style bot.

But I guess on the contradictory side, they are not likely to approve 100 applications to be on the show from teams that are just Biteforce clones. The rookie teams coming in with unique bot designs are the ones that are going to get the green light to be on the show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ante posted:

A rumble is a FFA. I mean a proper 2v2 team fight where each side has two teams coordinating with each other either at the same time.

As another possibility: Multibot league with a higher total weight limit, but minimum weight on each individual bot.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

You have to remember there are relatively few people who actually build these things, even in the smaller classes, and they generally hate weird gimmicky stuff that gets in the way of robots hitting each other with spinny things. that includes teammates. It's hard enough to get people to agree if arena hazards should exist.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1493918349918670850#m

Control bot with an overhead against another control bot with an overhead. I fully expect this to be a full 3 minute fight, but in the best way, because neither of them will die.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Talking about the sport evolving, I remember when Robot Wars first started up and it was like this triathlon where each bot has to complete an obstacle course and mini challenges and the actual arena combat was only a small part of it. But that was boring and it all got ditched for just arena combat.

Like I'm laughing at how much powerful motors and weapons became 20 years later because I'm imagining today's bots doing RW's old obstacle course or that challenge called Sumo (where you simply have to push an opponent out of a circle) and they would just kill it.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

They did spin non-combat events off into its own show for a bit when main RW became combat only: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techno_Games

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Robot sumo is hilarious at how fast it happens. I'd love to see someone try the same with a 250b robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCqxOzKNFks

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Some decent fights up for tomorrow!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That copperhead fight should be really good, main event aside.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Some decent fights up for tomorrow!

:hellyeah:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Chronojam posted:

That copperhead fight should be really good, main event aside.

Yeah, feel like any other day that would be the main event.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Whiplash v Skorpios should be really good as a mirror match. I think Whiplash is a bit more stableby virtue of being able to keep its wedge on the ground more often, so it might have the edge. Skorpios is so friggin fast though...

I want to see Deadlift execute a clean suplex on that chonky boy Icewave somehow. :allears:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's a night of the lifter control bots vs almost all the other meta bots.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I'm so hyped to see this threads reaction to ghost raptor vs cobalt. :allears:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Methodical from Bloodsport

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer