Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

champagne posting posted:

there’s also the other fun world where devs will open a PR and put “don’t review not ready yet” in the description

Sometimes this is useful to see if pipeline workflow tests and approvals pass, if they’ve been strange or flaky. Sometimes you just want to open a PR to get one person’s opinion but you don’t want the whole team to jump it. My last company has a “Do not review” label for exactly this purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

At my last job there were some validation tools that were only available through the pipeline that got kicked off from a PR so we all had to occasionally.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

When I have people who are hesitant to open a PR it is usually because they need the “peer review is there to make sure we do our best work” or there is someone who enjoys making GBS threads on people in PRs who needs to stop or be told to gently caress off. Only time I fired someone and I didn’t feel bad was the kid fresh out of college who thought dropping hard r words in PR comments was ok.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

When I have people who are hesitant to open a PR it is usually because they need the “peer review is there to make sure we do our best work” or there is someone who enjoys making GBS threads on people in PRs who needs to stop or be told to gently caress off. Only time I fired someone and I didn’t feel bad was the kid fresh out of college who thought dropping hard r words in PR comments was ok.

I really want to know if you actually mean "hard r" or r***rd because I'm trying to imagine someone dumb enough to drop the n word in a comment.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It wasn’t n but someone out of college insulting other developers with decade+ and experience is still a good example of having a degree doesn’t make you smart.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

champagne posting posted:

there’s also the other fun world where devs will open a PR and put “don’t review not ready yet” in the description

That’s what “WIP:” is for.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

It wasn’t n but someone out of college insulting other developers with decade+ and experience is still a good example of having a degree doesn’t make you smart.

For sure, but the point I'm making here is that there is only one hard r word and it's the racist one.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Harriet Carker posted:

Sometimes this is useful to see if pipeline workflow tests and approvals pass, if they’ve been strange or flaky. Sometimes you just want to open a PR to get one person’s opinion but you don’t want the whole team to jump it. My last company has a “Do not review” label for exactly this purpose.

I suppose but I've seen people use a push to gerrit as a sack to hold the accumulation of their vomit code instead of committing in a development branch and they get mad when I call them out on it.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Rubellavator posted:

For sure, but the point I'm making here is that there is only one hard r word and it's the racist one.

I'm not super up on racisms I guess, but are you thinking of the one referring to people from the middle east? Starts with 'r', but never heard it referred to as 'hard r' the way I have for the one referring to people with downs syndrome.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

leper khan posted:

I'm not super up on racisms I guess, but are you thinking of the one referring to people from the middle east? Starts with 'r', but never heard it referred to as 'hard r' the way I have for the one referring to people with downs syndrome.

People frequently refer to the n-word as "hard r" to distinguish it from the version with an 'a' at the end.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Gitlab has a "mark as draft" function. I don't see how using it, or something like it, makes you dumb or whatever.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

leper khan posted:

wilderthanmild posted:

People frequently refer to the n-word as "hard r" to distinguish it from the version with an 'a' at the end.

That's the origin and the only meaning of "hard r". I've noticed people in recent years have been getting confused about this and I guess it's just because people started saying "r-word" instead of r***rd so they think "hard r" is just another variation on that.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Rubellavator posted:

That's the origin and the only meaning of "hard r". I've noticed people in recent years have been getting confused about this and I guess it's just because people started saying "r-word" instead of r***rd so they think "hard r" is just another variation on that.

Never heard hard r refer to n. :shrug:

Unfortunately, language isn't prescriptive, so in those contexts it turns out you're wrong hth

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Me either and I'm my context at least dropping a re*** would be grounds for a talking to too

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

You guys are morons.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Rubellavator posted:

You guys are morons.

It’s been a phrase for decades at least, I remember it from working in retail 15 years ago. What kind of rock do you goons live under?

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 14, 2022

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I am loathe to continue this topic but I just want to reiterate that, lack of prescriptivity or no, "hard r" means a very specific thing in the USA and you should not use the phrase unless you know what it means and you intend to communicate exactly what it means to another person.

If it's at all a question, best to just not use it at all.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Apologies for being the source of the derail, let us return to complaining about our chosen careers.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Wait, "Hard R" isn't short for "Hard Rock Café"? I need to send some apology cards.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

CPColin posted:

Wait, "Hard R" isn't short for "Hard Rock Café"? I need to send some apology cards.

There's no way this isn't a cumtown bit

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Rubellavator posted:

You guys are morons.

the issue is that someone felt the need to try to communicate the exact slur that was used in euphemistic terms instead of just saying "they used racial slurs", which is generic and gets the same point across.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Wait, you guys are getting reviews on your PRs? I have one that's been open for two weeks with nothing.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Wait, you guys are getting reviews on your PRs? I have one that's been open for two weeks with nothing.

How big is it?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The other developer is off this week so I don't have to get any of my code reviewed. Gonna push some traaaash

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

thotsky posted:

Gitlab has a "mark as draft" function. I don't see how using it, or something like it, makes you dumb or whatever.

Is there a point to Gitlab's draft reviews other than blocking merge and any semantics?

Gerrit's WIP function is nice in that it disables notifications for reviewers as long as it's active, and it removes the review from reviewers' "hey look at these asap" list. It was useful after a round of reviews to mark as WIP and then address comments (or pipeline errors or whatever) without spamming people.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

leper khan posted:

How big is it?

5 and a half files or so

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
You have to measure from the root directory though

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

CPColin posted:

You have to measure from the root directory though

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Invited to final round interviews for a team I'm really excited about. The project sounds great, the team structure solid, everything looks good.

Then I see one interview is the 'culture interview'. Ok, they want to make sure I'm not discriminatory, I've worked with all walks of life, not an issue. Then I see in the details:

interview invite posted:

Culture - a strong culture is necessary to maintain a strong team. This interview will be a conversation centered around our values: Customer First, Relentless Prioritization, Be an Owner, Open and Transparent, Seek to Understand, Raise the Bar, and Always Take Care of the Team.

I loving love being managed by overlapping contradictory platitudes.

Thanks for the massive red flag right up front though, company, you just saved me a lot of interview time!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Invited to final round interviews for a team I'm really excited about. The project sounds great, the team structure solid, everything looks good.

Then I see one interview is the 'culture interview'. Ok, they want to make sure I'm not discriminatory, I've worked with all walks of life, not an issue. Then I see in the details:

Thanks for the massive red flag right up front though, company, you just saved me a lot of interview time!

Good save! I don't want to work for companies that are paying people to sit around and come up with that dumb bullshit instead of working

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You’re gonna find that a lot of places have gone hard on company values and take them seriously enough that it’s become a thing in interviews. In general I wouldn’t call them a red flag, though.

What about the idea of a culture interview that revolves around company values seems off to you?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
That cultural interview stuff just seems like normal corporate fart huffing to me. You huff farts for an hour and then get on with your life and paycheck.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I've been at a few places with "strong culture" and it always leads down to justification for leadership making unpopular decisions. Like "we're all going to work until 7 pm on Fridays to get the release out - customer first!!" and "you're going to cross train for everybody else's jobs too so you can step in if somebody calls in sick, as we're on skeleton staff and can't fall behind schedule. Remember, always take care of the team, and relentless prioritization!!"

I'm not opposed to a company championing strong culture, but distilling "culture" to 7 broad statements that imply a personal responsibility is not for me at all. Values like "security is for everyone" and "respect is valued more than output", or anything that conveys a sense of acknowledgement that staff are people too, seems way more appropriate.

In my experience, companies that care about good values don't paste them on the wall and point to them every day.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
In my experience companies paste them on the wall and then never point to them ever. They're a non-issue.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I've been at a few places with "strong culture" and it always leads down to justification for leadership making unpopular decisions. Like "we're all going to work until 7 pm on Fridays to get the release out - customer first!!" and "you're going to cross train for everybody else's jobs too so you can step in if somebody calls in sick, as we're on skeleton staff and can't fall behind schedule. Remember, always take care of the team, and relentless prioritization!!"

I'm not opposed to a company championing strong culture, but distilling "culture" to 7 broad statements that imply a personal responsibility is not for me at all. Values like "security is for everyone" and "respect is valued more than output", or anything that conveys a sense of acknowledgement that staff are people too, seems way more appropriate.

In my experience, companies that care about good values don't paste them on the wall and point to them every day.

I think you might be making more of this than it actually is. I certainly wouldn't spike an interview just because of this but obviously, like everything else during your time talking to a company, ask questions to try to tease out whether these values are bullshit or are guiding principals to bring folks together.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

All the culture stuff is cultish fart huffing to try and make people work harder for less because of “culture” and doing “good”.

Edit: worked for a public tech company that did the whole wanting more non white dudes working at a nerd company and every quarter the number never moved so just would say they were working on it and introduce some new VP or C level position to work on it who would quietly leave a few months later.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 16, 2022

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I have yet to see a company that actually obeys its values apart from "make all the money, lol".

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm jealous of everybody here who hasn't been burned by "strong culture". I've been pushed and guilted and finger-wagged at my last two jobs over 'culture'.

And I work really well with all my teammates directly so I don't think I'm just being a stick in the mud. The culture values always come at the cost of work life balance at these two places.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I did interview with one company whose values were mostly DEI related stuff and like 75% of the their negative reviews were angry right wingers like "They say they want to be TOLERANT but why can't they TOLERATE my conservative views!?!?!?".

Other than that every company I've ever worked for or interviewed with has been only paying lip service to their buzzword values. The extent to which the values are a problem depends entirely on how and when they enforce them. Like I've been at companies that made every project kick off with a form describing how the product fit each of their values. "This project to migrate off of AngularJS fits our value of SINCERITY because we will be sincerely hosed once this hits EOL and eventually has a major compatibility issue with a browser change!" Another had one of those internal rewards systems, but to give out a reward that could be used towards actual rewards you had to tie it into values "Mike embodied COMPASSION when he fixed my Outlook issue"

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
My workplace has wallpaper with the values on and in every appraisal you have to select which values you/your manager/your peers embody. Sigh. Those aren’t the worst values I’ve ever seen to be fair. “Relentless Prioritization” is a bit weird but I agree with “be an owner” and “seek to understand”. “Always take care of the team” is an interesting one, I wonder how they define that.