Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Warhams 2 Question:

Has anyone ever seen Loyalty do anything? I've played Pirates and Rats, and in both campaigns I have never seen a Lord rebel against me, ever.

I fondly recall this actually happening in the Way Old Total Wars of Yore, but it seems in this game almost nothing triggers them into fighting me.

I suppose the Loyalty Stuff says you can prevent disloyalty by giving them a strong army and some treasure, which is basically the exact thing you do with every Lord anyway. I also roll my eyes at the concept of giving someone access to thousands of powerful soldiers as something that makes them LESS likely to launch a coup.

It's happened to me when I confederate as Skaven. I get a lord with a poo poo army, delete them and strip off his items and followers.

I usually remember to move them out into the water before I do this. Sometimes I forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

pnutz posted:

from what I remember of 2 they carried over the blood dlc between games, if your old games had one they all had it

I will be so happy if I already have the blood

vvvv this matches vague memories and I agree to their terms

PosSibley fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 16, 2022

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The way they implemented it last time was that Game 2 got a separate blood DLC, which was free to anyone who owned the first. Also, it released alongside ME (so, four weeks after launch). I imagine we'll have to have a few bloodless weeks this go around to.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The lack of blood in combat in 3 is hilarious given that that Khorne realm has literal rivers, lakes, and fountains full of blood

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Bones and blood is ok as long as it's not coming out of folks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's just rivers of delicious cherry pop.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

It’s laughable really when you think about all of the fully nude crab claws being waved about

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Warhams 2 Question:

Has anyone ever seen Loyalty do anything? I've played Pirates and Rats, and in both campaigns I have never seen a Lord rebel against me, ever.

Yes! One surefire way to get it to happen is have a Lord be a higher level than your legendary Lord. This happened to me once playing clan pestilens. Early on I’d sent a half decent army across to the southlands to try and help Queek survive against Kroq-Gar and everyone else who hates him. That quickly became the busiest area of the game with me fighting with that army at least once a turn against the island elves and lizard men. Finally noticed his loyalty plummeting, realised he was 3 levels higher than Skrolk and honestly it was just so true to Skaven I just let it happen.

At this point he was high level 20’s, great items and an elite army including several RoR I’d only just recruited. Took over 3 settlements in the southlands and survived a couple dozen turns before getting killed by the locals. Go little rockstar. :unsmith:

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
it's <24h to go until D-Day and my vampire coast campaign is still dragging out. This is what happens when you keep to the coast in lustria and have to put up with people just showing up and hitting random settlements all game while harkon's off across the sea fighting people in lothern

on the other hand I fixed my hellwar problem by picking on factions smaller than me and putting some barnacles/giant enemy crabs in my army instead of all dick heads deck hands

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is there any lore or tabletop justification for the Tzeentch barriers?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He's magic.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Is there any lore or tabletop justification for the Tzeentch barriers?

A little bit, but not exactly. In tabletop, there were basically two ways of not getting killed when you get hit: An armor save and an ward save. Armour is pretty self-explanatory and reasonably common, but can be reduced by powerful or armor-piercing attacks. Ward represents varieties of magical protection and is much rarer, but it usually can't be reduced. Many legendary characters have a ward save, as do most magical creatures, and IIRC all daemons also do. Now, Tzeentch's thing is that all its demons have an especially strong protection in this regard, mechanically represented by them being able to re-roll failed ward saves, making them unusually resistant even if they get hit with a cannonball to the face.

The thing is though, ward saves are already represented in the TW games. I can see why they'd want to emphasize it a bit more than just an extra strong ward save, but the whole regenerative aspect is a completely new thing.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I think if they had just given Tzeentch a higher ward %, it would have been too powerful as the units would take less damage across their entire lifespan. So they came up with the regenerating shields as a way to give them damage reduction that can be overwhelmed.

I do expect the barriers to get hit with a nerf bat or two. Maybe drastically reducing the hp of the barrier, but making them regen faster might work.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm trying to finish a bretonnia vortex campaign before this comes out and man this ain't happening.
After 100+ turns of tomb King hell war I've just crossed half the chivalry needed

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The easiest way to balance the barrier is to just do the same thing they did with healing and put a cap on amount regenerated per battle. It's basically the same problem, so the same solution should work fine.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

The easiest way to balance the barrier is to just do the same thing they did with healing and put a cap on amount regenerated per battle. It's basically the same problem, so the same solution should work fine.

Though at the point it's functionally just the same as the regeneration trait.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm trying to finish a bretonnia vortex campaign before this comes out and man this ain't happening.
After 100+ turns of tomb King hell war I've just crossed half the chivalry needed

Each reinforcing lord/army earns chivalry separately from the main army, though I think they get less. Also, Bretonnia doesn't get a supply line penalty for some reason. These two facts combined mean that 2armies of 10 units each costs about as much as 1 army of 20 units, but earns substantially more chivalry. 3 armies of 7 units each earn even more. Also, each lord and hero will need babysitting for Vow progress, so you might as well start earlier. And lastly, reinforcing an army will eventually earn the reinforcing lord the "savior" trait which increases chivalry and army-wide charge bonus.

Drown the enemy in reinforcements. Just watch out for Sniktch, Skaven ambush stance will gently caress you up fast that way. Once he is off the table, you can easily win the Vortex campaign in under 100 turns.

Dramicus posted:

Though at the point it's functionally just the same as the regeneration trait.
Unless I'm missing something about how it works, the barrier regenerates substantially faster than HP gained from regen and won't regenerate while in combat. Regeneration is much better for sustained combat, whereas barriers are better for hit and run attacks.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I don't see it. Aren't the barriers about 1/10th the total health of the unit? Isn't that a pittance? What's the issue?

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Bloodly posted:

I don't see it. Aren't the barriers about 1/10th the total health of the unit? Isn't that a pittance? What's the issue?

Kairos buffs the barriers a ton and hit and run tactics can make it so that even a mediocre an army takes almost no damage while wiping whole stacks

edit: not a big deal to me but i can definitely see them nerfing them for multiplayer

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bloodly posted:

People love to micro I guess

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Pead posted:

Kairos buffs the barriers a ton

Oh? How much?

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Bloodly posted:

Oh? How much?

Like 50% maybe. Enough that you can do cycle charges and hit and runs in a way that means you never lose health. It also is large enough to make most damage spells kind of worthless against them if they arent locked in combat

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Pead posted:

Kairos buffs the barriers a ton and hit and run tactics can make it so that even a mediocre an army takes almost no damage while wiping whole stacks

edit: not a big deal to me but i can definitely see them nerfing them for multiplayer

The singleplayer crowd is also complaining about the barriers. Mandalore, Legend, PartyElite, they all bring it up on their reviews that the barrier is too powerful that it makes discussing the faction's mechanics pointless, and playing/fighting the faction boring.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Bloodly posted:

Oh? How much?

In the infinite magic video, Legend says that Kairos has ~1,800 barrier on his 8,000 HP Kairos. If that regens in full exactly once you're looking at a lord with nearly 12K HP, which is about what Kugath has, iirc.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Worth noting as well that micro'ing Tzeentch barriers isn't some horrific level of cheesing exploit that Legend would use, it's just "pull your units back every so often" and you'll win every fight.

Believe Turin mentioned on the MP side that a cycle charging Tzeentch army would be horrible to play against whilst also stupidly strong.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 16, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

is hams 3 out yet

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Bloodly posted:

Having a rapidly regenerating overshield warps a lot of damage types. Artillery and magic, in particular, have huge issues doing damage to Tzeentch troops in general because most strong magic is a one-and-done(thus getting soaked by the barrier, which then regenerates) and, counting missed shots, most artillery doesn't hit fast enough to break the barrier and put real damage on. If you can't put constant sustained damage on Tzeentch units they're effectively immortal.

In singleplayer it apparently makes the campaign boring as hell because all of your units are completely invincible with the tiniest bit of micro(as in not legend cheese micro, just basic "disengage a unit when its barrier runs out and replace it with a fresh one, repeat") and in multiplayer field battles it makes Tzeentch completely insane because it's really easy to have a unit regen its barrier to full five or six times in one fight, making all the Tzeentch units impossibly durable for their cost.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Normal regeneration is very good on units that don't die immediately, so giving any unit a special, deathless pool of HP that can regenerate, is going to be fairly busted, even if you try to make it conditonal, unless you make it so conditional that it never happens, it's going to necessarily become the entire focus of the unit because a unit that can just not take HP damage is a unit that becomes worth many times its cost.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

is hams 3 out yet

Midnight PST

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

look protoss are fine, quit whining

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'd actually like to see what Protoss would have looked like if their shields regenerated to full after 10 seconds of not being shot by a marine.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The barrier + speed advantage + range advantage also means Nurgle is hilariously hard countered by Tzeentch. Far and away the biggest hard counter yet in the series. Not just in MP: To the point playing a normal campaign you’ll dread those fights, according to some. Your army has almost nothing to do but waddle till they expend all their ammo on you, with the AI being the AI your only respite.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

See, the impression I'm getting is that Tzeentch would still be very good with their magic, devastating short-ranged shooting (most of which is either fire damage or imbues fire weakness) and flying mobility even if the barriers were significantly restricted or limited compared to what they are now, poo poo they'd still be very good probably if they didn't even have the barriers.

e: Also, anyone have that Steam release map? Events have transpired to give me a day off tomorrow.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 16, 2022

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Normal regeneration was typically countered via burst damage, which barrier negates… and it was already OP enough even then that fire damage was changed for game 3 to specifically counter regen. In principle the counter to barrier would be sustained combat, but tzeentch is a skirmish faction with tons of tools to disengage, peel, or lock down opponents. If barrier was on certain select units it might be OK, but on flyers especially it’s extremely broken. Not quite “unbeatable” broken, but certainly “favored against everyone” broken.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Here's the unlimited magic trick Legend's been mentioning in streams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L-pj5XXFaY

Seems like you could almost stumble upon it with the right combination of skills, especially for a Kairos campaign.

You need a death wizard with life leech or a life leech-esque effect and at least one arcane conduit. Legend shows the effect with a bunch of arcane conduits. Know to be possible with Tzeentch, Nurgle, Cathay, possible more.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 16, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pretty sure my computer's crapping out the day before Warhammer 3 launches which is one hell of a nasty Tzeentchian prank. All these like red lines running across the screen which, sure, will certainly enhance the mood of Khornate battles but isn't exactly preferable. I'm tech illiterate so if this sounds fixable to anyone else please let me know! :(

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
There’s a new wolf chariot mount for Goblin Big Boss heroes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/sto4t5/here_are_the_pictures_of_the_goblin_big_boss_on/

Any other fun additions for races that aren’t playable yet?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Pretty sure my computer's crapping out the day before Warhammer 3 launches which is one hell of a nasty Tzeentchian prank. All these like red lines running across the screen which, sure, will certainly enhance the mood of Khornate battles but isn't exactly preferable. I'm tech illiterate so if this sounds fixable to anyone else please let me know! :(

My first instinct is to say you should update your drivers, and if that doesn’t work, do a full reformat and hope for the best - if neither of those things do it sounds like you are in the land of hardware issues which, if you are technically incompetent like me, is a dark and dangerous place

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Warhams 2 Question:

I fondly recall this actually happening in the Way Old Total Wars of Yore, but it seems in this game almost nothing triggers them into fighting me.

I suppose the Loyalty Stuff says you can prevent disloyalty by giving them a strong army and some treasure, which is basically the exact thing you do with every Lord anyway. I also roll my eyes at the concept of giving someone access to thousands of powerful soldiers as something that makes them LESS likely to launch a coup.

in the Dark Elf campaigns if your generals have high loyalty you get a lot of events that let you execute a general's family in exchange for a bunch of treasure, that's the only time I've seen loyalty get into the danger zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Yeah, you can get some pretty good items as skaven from having high loyalty generals...at the cost of loyalty, haha.