Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

whose golden rule is it that knowledge ends at the elementary school level and everything beyond that is made up to impress guys who think that? this seems a lot more interesting to unpack than whatever goons think "postmodern" means

Explaining things at a 6-year old's level is a little much, but the idea is that if you know a subject well, you can communicate it simply and clearly to say, a high school senior or the average adult. That may mean you don't get into a lot of jargon, have to explain a free things concisely, and keep to a pretty basic vocabulary that doesn't exclude listeners who don't have the same background. Otherwise you're just throwing around big words that don't mean anything to the listener. Some people will be turned off by that, and some will incorrectly decide that an inability to understand someone like Peterson is the listeners' fault.

That's for discussions between experts and laypeople, anyway, since professionals and experts talking to each other can use jargon and not need to explain stuff to each other. And people often forget that clear, concise communication is its own set of skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

idk man I just think that's facially untrue, I do stuff every day that I couldn't satisfactorily explain to some rando who knows nothing and thinks I'm making it all up to bamboozle them. saying something like that betrays a very specific relationship to knowing anything at all that's very funny in the thread about making fun of a crank philosopher for being a superficial fraud. turns out people the people itt making fun of his chaos dragon poo poo for reading like a freshman term paper on Campbell using only the cliffs notes have spent all this time unknowingly laughing alongside guys who think it's silly because any philosophy they didn't learn about from Winnie the Pooh is a global conspiracy to, uh, fool college students into reading Derrida I guess? That absolutely rules.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 15, 2022

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe you're just really bad at explaining things

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Who What Now posted:

Maybe you're just really bad at explaining things

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Given the fact that you edited the post you quoted me on top to bottom 3 times and just word saladed your way through that last one, I'd say the issue is a lack of communication skills- even if you do know what you're talking about before the words leave your brain.

And you know what? that's fine. I'll take the L on my last post.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

idk man I just think that's facially untrue, I do stuff every day that I couldn't satisfactorily explain to some rando who knows nothing and thinks I'm making it all up to bamboozle them. saying something like that betrays a very specific relationship to knowing anything at all that's very funny in the thread about making fun of a crank philosopher for being a superficial fraud. turns out people the people itt making fun of his chaos dragon poo poo for reading like a freshman term paper on Campbell using only the cliffs notes have spent all this time unknowingly laughing alongside guys who think it's silly because any philosophy they didn't learn about from Winnie the Pooh is a global conspiracy to, uh, fool college students into reading Derrida I guess? That absolutely rules.

Are you mad that we're making fun of Jordan Benzo Peterson?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

The Fattest PI posted:

Are you mad that we're making fun of Jordan Benzo Peterson?

well he didnt even mention the guy really if y ou think about it he is mad about postmodernism

or more specifically posts about postmodernism which are admittedly a plague on the forums

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Post-modern media is media that uses its narrative to comment, criticize or otherwise analyze media, while often maintaining the same genre and/or format as the media.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/thebadstats/status/1493745365522128899

god he's such a smug, insufferable prick

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
has anyone considered the connection between postmodernism and postmodemism

in this essay I will prove [56k no way]

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

He's so loving stupid

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

jbp: "don't be seen doing good works, that's prideful and evil"

also jbp in literally the same sentence because that's how he talks: "did you hear about all the good stuff bill gates is doing?!"

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Ghostlight posted:

also jbp in literally the same sentence because that's how he talks: "did you hear about all the good stuff bill gates is doing?!"

I feel like there's a ton of personal projection in his "fix these problems instead" examples

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

yeah and not just that, but also *gestures towards jorp's entire life*

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh I'm absolutely certain which *kind* of protesters ol' Jorpy there was talking about. You know *those* protesters. The ones that live in the bad side of town and cause all sorts of problems why is my dog suddenly howling?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

The evasiveness is so drat predictable at times. Last night I checked in on a homesteader/prepper YouTube channel to see how close to the edge he's getting. Last week he posted a video about how his opinion of the police has changed. "Let me guess," I thought, "he thinks they went easy on the Portland protests."

For the first few minutes he tells a story about how he was pulled over for speeding (which he never really clarifies if he was) and the cop seemed too mean. Okay, interesting. Then, LIKE CLOCKWORK, he pivots to how this meanness was nowhere when looters were destroying Portland, hmmm. This guy has millions of subs...

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

The cops in Portland like, pepper sprayed the mayor in the face and used cancer causing chemicals on people in mass.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

yeah but were they mean about it

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Isn't he for poverty in the sense that he believes that some people will just naturally be poor?

Also, a guy a know started telling me about Peterson and mentioned the deal about the lobsters and it's such a non-sequitur it's hard to know how to respond to it. "Did you know that in the lobster world 5% of lobsters use 90% of the resources?" Umm, ok? and?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

But if you bring up gay seagulls, suddenly they have caveats.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Can someone here who's not Jorp-like (so, any of you) explain what Post-modernism is?

:justpost:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Puppy Time posted:

My (complete amateur, untutored) understanding of postmodernism is that it boils down to, "But how do we know that?"

So it's hard to pin down because that covers everything from stoner "revelations" to questioning authority to the idea that there can be multiple "truths" and beyond.

The post-modernism that can be told
is not the eternal post-modern
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.

The unnamable is the eternally real.
Naming is the origin
of all particular things.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
im Name

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It you meet post-modernism on the path, kill it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Postmodernism is that Daffy Duck cartoon where the animator keeps loving with him by erasing and redrawing things.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

But if you bring up gay seagulls, suddenly they have caveats.

All seagulls are pansexual sluts.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

For dumb Peterson clips this might be my all-timer and the title makes it even funnier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y6kVBiS0Hg&t=42s

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Lol, he literally made the You're Just Jelly argument against criticizing tycoons.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Can someone here who's not Jorp-like (so, any of you) explain what Post-modernism is?

I gotta admit, it sounds like a made up term, design to make the speaker sound smart.

it's a real term, NOT made up by jorp tbf, but the way he and his ilk use it is basically as a synonym for moral relativism.

in other words, post modernists (i.e. anyone jorp considers to be too leftwing) think there's no such thing as morality and rules, and all beliefs are equally valid, no matter how much harm they cause

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
marxism, famous for not harshly judging really fuckin dumb opinions

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

According to Google:

Google posted:

Postmodernism is a movement that focuses on the reality of the individual, denies statements that claim to be true for all people and is often expressed in a pared-down style in arts, literature and culture. An example of a thought of postmodernism is the idea that not all people would see stealing as negative.

Looks fairly simple to me, though I think the main confusing part is that the name doesn't seem to go with the definition.

Post (after) modern (what is now) = what comes after now.

Post modern definition = you can't assume everyone feels the same about a given issue.

Edit: forgot the third definition...

Jorp's post modernism = an empty word for him to throw around, like a flavourless crouton to add to his word salad.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 16, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
"modern" hasn't meant "now" for like 200 years

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The key thing is that Postmodernism is not about what comes after now, but rather what comes after the philosophical ideas of Modernism.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

According to Google:

Looks fairly simple to me, though I think the main confusing part is that the name doesn't seem to go with the definition.

Post (after) modern (what is now) = what comes after now.

Post modern definition = you can't assume everyone feels the same about a given issue.

Edit: forgot the third definition...

Jorp's post modernism = an empty word for him to throw around, like a flavourless crouton to add to his word salad.

Which is a little weird, given that Jorp and his ilk are incredibly attached to 'the individual' and how you 'can't put people in boxes' and are against 'identity politics'. He worked himself up into a weepy mess on a vlog, mourning the death of individual in Western society. Can't remember why; probably because a Marvel film demonstrated achievement by teamwork or something.

They should love this idea of individual experience and being able to define your own reading of the world and not being restricted by norms and generalisations. But JP is really hot on social norms, rigid definitions, binaries and hierarchies. Because it benefits people like him as individuals.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1493988061205733378?s=20&t=7AHDU64GW9yIjhUiblIDkA

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

He essentially told the person to go die.

So, please, Jorp, do not bother defending yourself. Just let it legally take you.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

hey jordo, you're free to leave the college of ontario psychologists any time you want

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Ghostlight posted:

hey jordo, you're free to leave the college of ontario psychologists any time you want

i tweeted to him "you're free to leave twitter at any point" but I assume a million other people did too so whatever

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

moonmazed posted:

"modern" hasn't meant "now" for like 200 years

Yeah, obviously that's the literal definition, but the "modern" in modernism refers to, at its broadest, the period from the industrial revolution to the end of world war 2. Calling something "post-modern" without any qualifiers can refer to basically any idea thought up after 1945.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Not DAYS of work! Jorp is VERY busy right now, what with not teaching anymore and doing, uh...?