Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

skasion posted:

Are the fighting Uruk-hai still part men in the movies? I thought they were just designed slime beasts

Gandalf has a line about Saruman cross breeding orcs with goblin-men. So I’d say yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The other option besides menu could have been “card” or “bill” but those are also both based on Latin or Greek

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

euphronius posted:

Two flung themselves to the ground at Éomer’s heels, tripped him, and in a moment they were on top of him. But a small dark figure that none had observed sprang out of the shadows and gave a hoarse shout: Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

:hmmyes:

lol

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Do you guys think Frodo is a good tipper? I personally think he wouldn't be. He's a little money conscious when he thinks Aragorn is trying to swindle him

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I skimmed the appendices last night after they confirmed that they only have the rights to the LOTR books and the Hobbit and there’s a surprising amount they could include from the Silmarillion.

The beginning of Appendix A has a pretty broad rundown of the end of the First age, silmarils, Morgoth, Beren & Luthien, Earendil, etc. Later on in the appendix is a detailed timeline of the Second Age as well. I imagine that timeline is the major source of the main plot points for the new series.

But there’s enough about the end of the First Age in there to build a nice prologue to set up the state of the world in the Second Age.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Also, since I’ve heard this name spoken more in the last week than ever before and pronounced in two different way, I’m curious if Gil-Galad is pronounced

gil GAL id

or

gil guh LAD

I’ve always leaned toward the second, since it was closer to Gilgamesh which I felt like Tolkien would do. But I’ve heard it pronounced the first way in quite a few videos over the last week or so.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In the audiobook read by Rob Inglis, he pronounces it gill-GAL-uhd

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I've always pronounced it with the stress on the first syllable, not the second or third.

If it follows the pattern for Galadriel then I'd imagine the stress is on the third syllable.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Going by poetry rhythm it's usually assumed it goes:

gil-GAL-ad WAS an ELven KING

But when I first read it I never read the song as iambic poetry with such a strict syllabic beat; to me it sounded like it was supposed to have more of a pop-music rhythm, like:

GIL gah-LAD wazzun ELven KING

This is part of why I think most poetry analysis is bunk, look at the lyrics of any pop song and half of the words are being stretched across multiple beats or crushed together in rapid patter to fit the music. Getting all worked up about whether something is iambic or trochaic when those are basically identical concepts anyway (just depending on which syllable you think is "first" in a line) seems ludicrous when there's this whole other world of rhythmic analysis to get lost in

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahz-GoRkV3Y

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Wait they paid like a billion dollars for literally only appendix rights, they don't even have the silmarillion rights?

Holy lols

And by holy lols I mean I hope there was a clause in the contract requiring 100% consistency with catholic theology for the whole series

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Silmarillion rights has never been sold for tv/video iirc.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TipTow posted:

I've always pronounced it with the stress on the first syllable, not the second or third.

If it follows the pattern for Galadriel then I'd imagine the stress is on the third syllable.

Actually I kinda made a mistake. In the second pronunciation I should’ve written GIL guh LAD because that is kind of how I’ve pronounced it. (Like I said, like Gilgamesh)

But based on some other posts I’m thinking that’s wrong now.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://twitter.com/theoneringnet/status/1493637846208376833?s=20&t=KyR-Up5zLm8cdFxNycE9sQ

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Ancient Romans had restaurants/outdoor lunch counters, because not everyone in the big cities had their own kitchen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermopolium?wprov=sfti1

Those freaking Romans did it again.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Here it is actually being sung (by Bill Nighy):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWBecwqNGkM

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
That's pretty. Bill Nighy is not who I imagine Sam sounding like when he sings, though. Rob Inglis is a lot closer, even if he's not "singing".

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

At the risk of not being able to leave well enough alone

ChubbyChecker posted:

and orc menus

quote:

'Let the fighting Uruk-hai do the work, as usual.'
'I've returned to see that Orders are carried out and the prisoners safe,'
‘I’ll give your name and number to the Nazgûl,’
'Up you get and fall in, or I’ll have your numbers and report you.'
'Don’t you know we’re at war?'

This is pure 1916, and would have been very recognisable to the generation who fought the next war. A lot of how the orcs talk and act is inspired by the parts of soldiering that Tolkien hated. He wasn't above a little anachronism.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Trin Tragula posted:

At the risk of not being able to leave well enough alone

This is pure 1916, and would have been very recognisable to the generation who fought the next war. A lot of how the orcs talk and act is inspired by the parts of soldiering that Tolkien hated. He wasn't above a little anachronism.

Yeah, I could be wrong but I think there are things we'd recognize as menus that got dug up at Pompeii.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I could be wrong but I think there are things we'd recognize as menus that got dug up at Pompeii.

That's how I interpret the paintings on the street-food counters there

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'll have the inverted goose with large herbs and a side of collared dog

(that is an incredible picture though. What's the deal with those... pots sunk into the bench?)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
glad there's no little pot by the dog painting

Tree Bucket posted:

(that is an incredible picture though. What's the deal with those... pots sunk into the bench?)

I believe the theory is that there'd be pots of each food by each picture (chicken, duck, etc.) and you'd pay so much a bowl for hot takeaway.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tree Bucket posted:

That’s where shits cooking, there would have been fires underneath the counter to heat the pot.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

In ancient Roman cities that were densely populated, the poor people livied in large tenements called insulae. Most of these would not have had space for kitchens in each home, especially since that adds yo fire risk. As a result, those people relied on either street vendors like this, or communal kitchens to do their cooking.

This continues into other areas were things like baking were still done communally as a properly sized oven was a pain in the rear end for everyone to have.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Here's one of the articles that's from FYI:

https://people.com/food/ancient-fast-food-restaurant-to-open-up-to-visitors-in-pompeii-this-summer/

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeaaaahhh can I get uhhhh a large salty fish with coarse bread and a beano-vino, and a Gladiator Meal with watered-down beano-vino for my kid? And don't spare the garum

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Phy posted:

Yeaaaahhh can I get uhhhh a large salty fish with coarse bread and a beano-vino, and a Gladiator Meal with watered-down beano-vino for my kid? And don't spare the garum

what i love about roman history is that's pretty much accurate, right down to gladiators doing endorsements

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Uhhhhh my kid already got the Retiarius toy in his felix farinum, can we swap that out for the Secutor? That's the blue guy

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Tree Bucket posted:

Uhhhhh my kid already got the Retiarius toy in his felix farinum, can we swap that out for the Secutor? That's the blue guy

https://imgur.com/gallery/J8ePb3x

literally

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

what i love about roman history is that's pretty much accurate, right down to gladiators doing endorsements

Oh yeah my words were not hastily chosen

(ok they were a little, I wanted to go back and edit "my kid" to "little Secundus here" but I'd passed the ninja-edit threshold and I didn't want to look like a tryhard)

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Zopotantor posted:

Here it is actually being sung (by Bill Nighy):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWBecwqNGkM

This image is in the slideshow from that video. Would anyone happen to know the source/artist? I think it looks neat and reminds me of some of the art you see on tarot cards.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 16, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, and how like if you look at the interior corridors of the Colosseum, it's obvious that it's full of food stalls and shops selling logo gear and probably those big foam hands

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, and how like if you look at the interior corridors of the Colosseum, it's obvious that it's full of food stalls and shops selling logo gear and probably those big foam hands

the romans called them xylospongiums

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A civlised greek-speaker would call it a cheirospongon
I consulted the scriptures to work this out

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They do have of course Inns in the LOtR which is of course another Roman heritage thing.

But at least inn is Germanic

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah I guess in this thread we need to talk about the coliseum in *Gondor*

There is a long running ancient history thread for those interested in such: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446&pagenumber=1134&perpage=40

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lol two of my bookmarked threads with different topics becoming indistinguishable

To try to actually synthesize the topics, and I'm sure this is not in any way original analysis, but to me the Arnor/Gondor split, the fall of Arnor in the west, and Gondor near-constantly fighting off the wicked men of the south and east gave off extremely strong "history of the Roman Empire" vibes. Going even further with the splintering of Arnor into the three kingdoms, Minas Tirith as Constantinople, etc. etc. It's always seemed a little too on-the-nose to not have been deliberate.

gently caress, I mean, Mordor is shaped like Anatolia, and the Morannon right where the Turkish straits would be.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, the travel through middle earth is basically a trip backwards through English history, starting in the quaint Regency, moving back through Elrond'd high medieval House, then the dark ages of Moria, weird Celtic elves, Saxon Rohirrim, and Minas Tirith as Roman Britain on the verge of fall.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat. How obvious should that have been my whole life.

e: That too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TipTow posted:

Lol two of my bookmarked threads with different topics becoming indistinguishable

To try to actually synthesize the topics, and I'm sure this is not in any way original analysis, but to me the Arnor/Gondor split, the fall of Arnor in the west, and Gondor near-constantly fighting off the wicked men of the south and east gave off extremely strong "history of the Roman Empire" vibes. Going even further with the splintering of Arnor into the three kingdoms, Minas Tirith as Constantinople, etc. etc. It's always seemed a little too on-the-nose to not have been deliberate.

gently caress, I mean, Mordor is shaped like Anatolia, and the Morannon right where the Turkish straits would be.

I think you'll find Mordor is actually a dead ringer for Ohio.