Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

KonvexKonkav posted:

It's just goons going a little crazy due to the waiting time I guess.

For those still worried: Unless you're running this on a literal potato you're almost guaranteed to get 1080p30 which is PS4 performance. If your graphics card is halfway decent you'll get 1080p60. Your CPU doesn't matter. Again, this game runs on a PS4 which has a very old CPU. It's going to be fine.

we are going hollow...

try tongue but hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Flytrap posted:

They've stated that respeccing and even remaking your characters look are both things that are in game.

This is good because I always want to do an NG+ with a new build to facilitate using a late game weapon I think looks fun but it's not an option.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I am going wretch, I am going to walk directly into the swamp, and I won't come out until I can find an even worse swamp to immerse myself in.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Miss Mowcher posted:

Some played the network test on the PS4 so if there was some big problem I think there would've been some posts complaining on the internet.

Digital Foundry has a video on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2RTt2SbO4g

Okay, this gives me a lot of relief, to be honest. My machine is still significantly stronger in most regards than a PS4 Pro, and I'll be running at 1920x1200 (or 1080p if the former isn't an option) so yeah, unless the PC optimization is somehow catastrophically bad (and it shouldn't be since the PS4 and PS5 are PCs :ssh:) I'll be able to run the game on settings that will be gorgeous. At worst, I'll have to go for a 30 FPS cap. It looks like my experience will land somewhere between a PS4P and a PS5 (the latter of which is closer to the specs they outlined on Twitter) and I'd be pretty satisfied with that.

Thank you for that link!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
You have to use an ashen flask to refill your arrows but this is annoying because it uses souls which increases your soul memory and you can outpace your coop buddies this way. Anyway, I put all my points into resistance and adaptability.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Any word on what is in the battle pass? I know season one’s final level unlocks powerstancing, what about the skins? Really hope Billie Eilish’s set isn’t a high level

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

arcane is the trap stat, in that it lets you build the spring floors, wall spikes, and more from tecmo's deception series

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

put every point in luck to give yourself a good, lucky feeling

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
truly, this is the dark souls of threads

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Relevant Tangent posted:

I am going wretch, I am going to walk directly into the swamp, and I won't come out until I can find an even worse swamp to immerse myself in.

Allow me to offer you . . . my post history :getin:

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
If anyone is having a fromsoft itch in anticipation of gamings magnus opus i recommend a randomized sekiro run to tide you over. Im having a blast playing thru this again, almost feels like a new game

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

cheeseboy58 posted:

If anyone is having a fromsoft itch in anticipation of gamings magnus opus i recommend a randomized sekiro run to tide you over. Im having a blast playing thru this again, almost feels like a new game

im a huge fan of the item + enemy randomizer in DS1, especially if you do a "find what you use" rule. Enjoy fat rolling as you frantically try to kill Artorias on the bridge where Taurus Demon lives using a weapon you can barely hold

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Perfect Potato posted:

dldsr is fun since it applies some hyper sharpening bullshit that makes nearly every grain of texture pop like crazy. I'm pretty sure Yennefer in Witcher 3 ages like 20 years just from having her face textures go ultra instinct. In this picture you can see the effect on the firekeeper's necklace

Regular DSR oversharpens the image by default but DLDSR does a better job with sharpening, and you can adjust the sharpening value in the nvidia driver settings if it's too sharp.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Phobophilia posted:

DS1 knight fatrolled, but not DS3 knight.

Thank you, thought I was going hollow there for a minute

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Thinkin of going spear bandit and checking out how the stealth and arcane mechanics work, if arcane strengthens consumable/tool strength like in bloodborne it should be a fun loop of item find+ -> craft special arrows and consumables -> utilize for many varied situations -> repeat

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
arcane did not do anything for consumables in the network test at least, and there's been no mention of it doing so in the final version at all. from the info we have it's just ds3 luck & some spells will scale with it. maybe some weapons & infusions will scale with it too. it doesn't really seem like it's anything like bloodborne arcane though

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think all the arcane lovers out there are going to get a special treat from that stat I can feel it in my bones.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
y'all gonna look stupid when it turns out the true ending can only be unlocked with an item that only drops from an unrepeatable boss if you have 40 arcane

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

JBP posted:

I think all the arcane lovers out there are going to get a special treat from that stat I can feel it in my bones.

That guy that picked Thief in Dark1 because you obviously wanted the master key but also needed that pendant to see what amazing thing it did? That's the same guy who will stack arcane.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

oh poo poo, i havent seen this before, pretty much on 95% media blackout, but i def think im going wretch. maybe prisoner... i assume you can take that dumb mask off and reveal how hot you are during a cutscene.

i like starting with completely nothing and finding your own stuff, OSP.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Sheldon Ring

There's a laugh track for every single action you take, even doing nothing at all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jon Irenicus posted:

I'm probably gonna do what I do for most Soulsborne games first run - find the largest weapon I can fit into my hands, pump strength, and ignore every ranged and magical mechanic like I'm a barbarian

:getin:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Not like a barbarian, friend. Like a Hero.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Speaking of fat rolling how generous/stifling are the weight reqs this time?

That image of the classes linked earlier said something about "Vagabond needs to take off their helmet or halberd to stay under the 70% threshold".

But as much as roll thresholds, it will be a question of how much individual items weigh "For Balance Reasons"™

For example, lots of people in the thread are excited about casting. And a lot of the rings that weigh a whole pound in DS3 were casting related, which adds up if you are trying to skimp on equip load capacity.

Now we have talismans instead, and I would be pleasantly surprised if talismans didn't end up weighing more than rings on average.

Speaking of gear thresholds, they didn't bring back traditional "Upgrade armor to plus # along with your weapons" in Elden Ring, right?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I hope they didnt bring back armor upgrades. Changing pieces on the fly is fun. And invaders always have maxed out armor even if weapon matchmaking is a thing. Making them a pain in DSR on a fresh ng.

I'd be real surprised if they brought it back though.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Thundercracker posted:

Sheldon Ring

There's a laugh track for every single action you take, even doing nothing at all.

Gonna play a caster and Bazinga my foes to death

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I like the Wretch idea of starting with nothing but I like the Vagabond stats too much so I’m going to unequip everything except the long sword or halberd at the very beginning to get the gameplay of both!

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
I hate to bring up choice of PC vs. Console (yet again!) but for the first time ever I am torn.

I *always* get my FromSoft games on console first, historically because they didn't always have simultaneous PC releases, but now mostly out of tradition, and the fact that the games aren't really designed to take advantage of cutting edge PC hardware (particularly on this title that is also on PS4). There's also been some vague ideas about PC hacking, etc, in the back of my mind.

I'm 90% certain I'll be getting Elden Ring for PS5, but nevertheless a small voice in my head keeps nagging me saying I will regret it once raytracing drops via patch (I've got an RTX 3080, 4k monitor, great CPU, tons of RAM, no worries there). But my TV is just... bigger, and couches are comfy, and it's just really hard for me to judge how big a deal RT will be once they patch it in. It could be really great, but then again, the implementation on PS5 might still be completely acceptable if the PC RT implementation isn't designed to scale super hard with PC horsepower.

Anyone in my boat? I really think I'd prefer the console experience despite superior PC hardware. Comedy option: beat it 3 times on PS5, then buy it for PC and pretend it's a whole new graphical experience justifying further playthroughs (which is what I did for Dark Souls 3).

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Veritas posted:

I hate to bring up choice of PC vs. Console (yet again!) but for the first time ever I am torn.

I *always* get my FromSoft games on console first, historically because they didn't always have simultaneous PC releases, but now mostly out of tradition, and the fact that the games aren't really designed to take advantage of cutting edge PC hardware (particularly on this title that is also on PS4). There's also been some vague ideas about PC hacking, etc, in the back of my mind.

I'm 90% certain I'll be getting Elden Ring for PS5, but nevertheless a small voice in my head keeps nagging me saying I will regret it once raytracing drops via patch (I've got an RTX 3080, 4k monitor, great CPU, tons of RAM, no worries there). But my TV is just... bigger, and couches are comfy, and it's just really hard for me to judge how big a deal RT will be once they patch it in. It could be really great, but then again, the implementation on PS5 might still be completely acceptable if the PC RT implementation isn't designed to scale super hard with PC horsepower.

Anyone in my boat? I really think I'd prefer the console experience despite superior PC hardware. Comedy option: beat it 3 times on PS5, then buy it for PC and pretend it's a whole new graphical experience justifying further playthroughs (which is what I did for Dark Souls 3).

Hook your PC up to your couch'd TV and eliminate any compromises. If the game is a mess on PC on launch (I doubt it), then refund it and get it on your PS5.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Veritas posted:

Get it on PC and and stream it to your TV with moonlight or something similar?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ask your rear end how comfy it wants to be.

But ultimately it doesn't matter - does it? You're gonna be getting the best experience no matter what.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I pre-ordered the game (on PS5, I want to play on my sofa and big OLED), which is something I swore to never do again after cyberpunk.

Now to stare at the countdown for the next 8 days and 8 hours.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sadly TV size and rear end comfiness are being factored into my decision as well. Gf hasn't touched her XSX since before christmas. On the other hand, for how much time I get to play, my rear end can handle it. Maybe.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Pc connected to giant gaming tv ftw. Thats how ive been sekiroing

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm going Wretch to start I reckon. Never done the naked start in a souls game before but it just feels right with Elden Ring. Using whatever I find. I loooove the look of some of the armour pieces so I look forward to discovering them organically (or inevitably looking them up in a wiki after I spend days looking for them)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Frankston posted:

I pre-ordered the game (on PS5, I want to play on my sofa and big OLED), which is something I swore to never do again after cyberpunk.

Now to stare at the countdown for the next 8 days and 8 hours.

Same. It ticks so slowly. But at least we should get our PS5 preload at the weekend, so it'll feel even closer.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I picked up a couple of HDMI wall plates with the idea of running a cable from my office to the living room but just haven't gotten around to it. And I'm wondering if those plates (picked up on clearance) will prob bottleneck the HDMI bandwidth or not. I do have a Shield, maybe I should just use that.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
man, if you’re playing on ps5 or pc just enjoy. buy it for both and pray for us ps4 havers

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Do I drive my Bentley or my BMW? Hmm. I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Aphex- posted:

I'm going Wretch to start I reckon. Never done the naked start in a souls game before but it just feels right with Elden Ring. Using whatever I find. I loooove the look of some of the armour pieces so I look forward to discovering them organically (or inevitably looking them up in a wiki after I spend days looking for them)
Do a best of both worlds like someone said they would a few posts back. Pick the class with the look you like, remove your gear, and then put it back on when you feel like you have earned it rather than wait for wherever they stashed the pretty armor you liked long after you got settled in.