Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Seventh Arrow posted:

I see what you mean. My melee and ranged aren't bad but everything else seems to be a garbage fire:

I like the idea of being untouchable, but I fear that doing so will require a bunch of super expensive IO's.

Funny thing is, I remember the same build being more effective on live back in the day. But either it could be rose-colored glasses or some sort of post-2005(ish) nerf.

You're okay, Super Reflexes works by using positional defenses instead of typed. Every attack will roll a type and* a position, and attacks have to check against all types of defenses applicable. So a melee+smashing+energy attack is covered by any one of those 3 types of defenses. Since attacks can only be melee/ranged/aoe, Super Reflexes makes you nigh unhittable to everything with pretty minimal investment.

*afaik there's like 2 whole enemies that have attacks missing a positional flag (Hamidon and some Hydra enemies) so they can't be dodged but it's rare enough that you never need to worry about it.

Combat Jumping, Hover, Stealth, Weave and Maneuvers are some easy pool powers to pick up to boost your defenses a little bit. If you dip into the fighting pool, you can take Tough as well as Weave, which will take Steadfast Protection and Gladiator's Armor IOs. They're always on and give 3% defense to everything each, which would bump your current numbers very close to the softcap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

That's better than I expected and you've gotten good advice already, but be aware the larger Stealth part of that defense is only active while you're not fighting. As soon as you start fighting it'll drop to just the smaller number. You can test this by right-click -> Monitoring your Melee and Ranged defense values, and watch as they change in battle.

Your "real" defense value is around 32%, so you're dodging about two thirds of all melee and ranged attacks with all your toggles on. That's certainly worth keeping active, but it'd be a good idea to look into what Abe suggested; Combat Jumping, Tough with the two +def IOs (doesn't need to be toggled on for those bonuses to work), and enhanced Weave all together would probably get you to the softcap. At your level I don't know if you'll be able to respec into all those reasonably, or if you need a couple more power picks yet to get there.

Maneuvers and Stealth also provide defense, but they have a much higher ratio of end cost per def. I wouldn't advise them unless you're up to like 42% already and really need them to hit the cap, but with SR, that really shouldn't be the case.

Oh, regarding end costs: End cost reduction gets less effective per-power the more you have. My typical slotting for Def toggles is one split Def/End set IO, and one Def. Just one slot, or half a slot when you look into set IOs, of End redux in each power can go a long way.

Edit: vv I just popped open Mids and toyed with the numbers, thinking about doing SR myself. Using level 50 set IOs, alongside CJ, Tough with the two +3% passives, and Weave, with everything reasonably well slotted with 3 slots each, I hit 44.52% positional def. I have to either add a fourth slot to the toggles, or switch the LotG Def/+Rech and Def/Ends to just Def IOs, to break 45%. Even then if I set their levels to 25 it drops back down to 44.5.. Point being that SR will get you to the caps "easily", but not Training Origin easily.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 16, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Seventh Arrow posted:

I see what you mean. My melee and ranged aren't bad but everything else seems to be a garbage fire:

I like the idea of being untouchable, but I fear that doing so will require a bunch of super expensive IO's.

for the def oriented sets, like SR as you've chosen, it's not hard at all, you will easily hit all your defense caps with just training enhancements. you will get AOE defense from one of the other powers in the set (Evasion) and you don't have to worry about typed damage at all, positional defense (melee, ranged, AOE) works on everything except a tiny handful of stuff that is not typed. If you hadn't taken Evasion you really should pick it up whenever you're able to, it unlocks at level 35 for scrappers. Lucky is the passive version for AOE def and you should take that too. On tanks and brutes it will AOE taunt stuff in a small radius around you but for scrappers I'm pretty sure it just provides defense.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wait, you can slot more than 6 now?????

Someone give me a Spines/Fire Brute farming build. I need to remake this dude NOW.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

Wait, you can slot more than 6 now?????

Someone give me a Spines/Fire Brute farming build. I need to remake this dude NOW.

They did for like a day, but after they found it was too powerful they implemented "slot diversification", so each slot after the 6th is now 10% as effective as the previous one.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thanks for the SR tips! I'll make sure to check those out.

Another thing I remember is that on my 22 ice corruptor villain, I tried starting the Silver Mantis strike force. That started ok, but we were getting steamrolled by mobs that were something like +4 to everyone in the group. I said that it was set to "+0, no AV", and then someone explained that it was a bug and that we had to quit and reform with the highest-level member as the leader. Does this ring true to anyone?

Here is my villain, Doctor Frostbyte, because I like pretty pictures.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Seventh Arrow posted:

This is my 23 scrapper, am I ok to use these generic-ish IO's until 50?

Lotta people getting deep in the weeds of SR build crafting missing what I think is kinda the most obvious thing: There's no way you need three To-Hit boosts in Follow Up, especially not at level 23. With Quickness boosting its already fast cooldown you probably don't even need anything beyond the default slot for accuracy.

There's three slots right there you can reassign to help shore up your endurance and/or your damage. The lack of 3 damage slots in all of your attacks (excepting Follow Up) is probably why things are feeling a bit anemic. That and you skipped Focus entirely for some reason. Focus is a huge damage source for Claws and is what really helps the set take off.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Another thing I remember is that on my 22 ice corruptor villain, I tried starting the Silver Mantis strike force. That started ok, but we were getting steamrolled by mobs that were something like +4 to everyone in the group. I said that it was set to "+0, no AV", and then someone explained that it was a bug and that we had to quit and reform with the highest-level member as the leader. Does this ring true to anyone?

Yeah, that's a thing. I'm not 100% on the specifics but generally the problem is that the server gets confused by what character to scale the mission to (and it even takes into account their own difficulty settings). I think there's additional weirdness under the hood with Silver Mantis because it was originally accessed differently. It's usually not a problem but I know for some of the buggier group content you'll see people explicitly asking everyone to turn their difficulty down in case the game randomly decides to pick them.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Every time I've encountered that bug, it's because the leader of the Task Force got disconnected for whatever reason, and then the game automatically makes the next person on the list the new leader... but if that guy was being sidekicked up to level-match with the leader, then he's suddenly back at his old level, the rest of the team is matching their level, and now everyone's fighting purple-conning mobs. The only thing you can do is have everyone logout (not quit the task force, logging out will keep you still in the TF), wait about 5 minutes, then log back in and hope things have corrected themselves.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Re build chat, for sure you are good with generic IOs until 50, but if you have a few million inf from selling converters from task force merits and aren't too intimidated by the IO system, slotting 5 level 25+ crushing impact into each of your single target melee attacks will really help a lot due to the recharge and accuracy set bonuses as well as balancing end reduction and recharge in the attacks themselves without sacrificing damage or accuracy

Also seconding removing those tohit enhancements from follow up and slotting at least one end reduction in each toggle armor

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
^ I just throw crushing impact in everything on melee pretty much, positrons blast on aoe ranged and uhh dont remember the others. Basically any 6 set with accuracy and or global cooldown reduction as a set bonus

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This conversation made me realize that I think I lost all my saved Mids builds when my last laptop died :negative:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Has anyone made a good fantasy adventurer costume?
I keep trying but nothing comes out just right.

I want to make a plant Dom and style her as a DnD druid.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The NPC Cerulean obviously has a DnD wizard thing going. But a druid? Interesting question. What, in your mind, does a traditional druid look like? Sort of like Radagast?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Oh also I started Episode 1 of the "Who Will Die?" arc on one of my characters, but even though the NPC talked as though it was a task force it still let me do it single-player. A bit weird, but it was definitely a cool (though brief) bit of content.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seventh Arrow posted:

Oh also I started Episode 1 of the "Who Will Die?" arc on one of my characters, but even though the NPC talked as though it was a task force it still let me do it single-player. A bit weird, but it was definitely a cool (though brief) bit of content.

The signature arcs are kind of pseudo-TFs, in that like a TF, once you're on one, you can't do anything else until you finish it or drop it, but they act like regular missions for the purpose of scaling (so no acting like you have a full team even while solo, unless you've got your difficulty set that high). They are all designed to be soloable, although a bit tougher than the average story arc.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

They're also made to be repeatable to get at their rewards over and over. This used to be a perk of being a subscriber or paying real money to unlock them, but I don't think HC/SCORE has ever really reevaluated them. The idea of farming them for reward merits or Astrals is pretty archaic when the game spits Empyreans at you for leveling up.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Inzombiac posted:

I've struggled with fantasy that wasn't elemental representations myself (You can do plant critters till the cows come home, and fae are fairly easy). There's no good hats for fantasy unless you're going armored knight. And I've never been able to use any of the chainmail parts, they're just jarring.

But for a druid, I'd probably start with plant hair and the Leather Armor top. If the Roman pteruges skirt is available for the female body, I think that would be decent. And definitely boots with the cuffed tops. Leaf cloak rounds it out, maybe a single plant hand.

I'd need to actually reinstall to work out an actual picture, and someone with heavier altitis than me probably has a better idea of all the CC options.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Abroham Lincoln posted:

They're also made to be repeatable to get at their rewards over and over. This used to be a perk of being a subscriber or paying real money to unlock them, but I don't think HC/SCORE has ever really reevaluated them. The idea of farming them for reward merits or Astrals is pretty archaic when the game spits Empyreans at you for leveling up.

something I've been extremely happy to see the HC devs embrace is the concept that players should be motivated to do content based on which is the most fun, not which is the most mechanically rewarding :allears:

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

I've made a few, and some plat themed. It's not the easiest thing to pull off but far from impossible if you get creative.

For straight 'fantasy' I took some inspiration from Doctor strange for colors and a little design:

for a more plant themed character there's the obvious leafy choices, which I've used, mixed with some other parts:

and of course there's going for a very simple route as well:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The real value of repeating SSA 1-1 is if you're a sick gently caress like me and just need that drat Volcanic badge. :v:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Had the biggest facepalm moment today when I realized that the bonuses from named sets only apply when they're slotted in the same power. I was initially confused by the text that said that you couldn't slot two of the same kind of enhancement in the same power. I thought that you couldn't slot two, say, Mako's Bite or Synapse's Shock in one power. But no, it just means you can't slot two Mako's Bite Accuracy/Damage (for example) in the same one. Ah well. I would respect but I think I will wait until I have enough levels to 6-slot some of my attacks.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So what's the elevator pitch for Sentinels? "Blasters with Tank secondaries"?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Seventh Arrow posted:

So what's the elevator pitch for Sentinels? "Blasters with Tank secondaries"?

More like scrappers with defender secondaries as primaries

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I really wish there was something that was kind of the opposite of the Sentinel. Scrapper/Brute primaries and like Defender/Blaster/Controller type secondaries.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Potsticker posted:

I really wish there was something that was kind of the opposite of the Sentinel. Scrapper/Brute primaries and like Defender/Blaster/Controller type secondaries.

I mean that's kind of a dominator build

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Soonmot posted:

I mean that's kind of a dominator build

Kinda, but not really. The assault sets are very limited compared to what you can choose as a brute/scrapper/tanker

Also Dominators are very beholden to Domination being an ability that overtakes the design of the AT. You want Domination up as much as possible since that's how you do most of what you do well, and thus you'll want Hasten and slot for having it up and available as much as possible. I enjoy it from time to time and it really works for me with certain concepts, but I also feel like it's much more rigid in how you build Dominators.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I want them to go crazy and offer a power pools only archetype.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Freakazoid_ posted:

I want them to go crazy and offer a power pools only archetype.

It's be kind of cool if silly tbh, and create a good reason to dip into some of the lesser-used ones. Start by making every power work to its highest possible scaling, like defender numbers for Leadership and blaster numbers for Fighting etc, and.. well it'd still be really weak, but throw in an extra, earlier epic pool choice starting at like 24, choosing from all the epic sets available to all other ATs, maybe that could work? Probably still just end up with a 'one build to rule all' situation that way though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just go back to the original design docs and make everything a free pick.

You want 9 nukes? Go for it. It's gonna be loving slow to clear any mission but that's your choice!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
It's been a few months since I played so I hopped onto my 50 water/atomic blaster and remembered how much fun it is. It just feels so versatile and having double amp damage is a lot of fun.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Potsticker posted:

ive been wanting a melee primary w/ support secondary for ages... especially since some of those sets like you being in melee anyway!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tsurupettan posted:

ive been wanting a melee primary w/ support secondary for ages... especially since some of those sets like you being in melee anyway!

I would kill for Energy Melee / Storm just because ragdolling Hellions is the height of comedy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Now that the overall max-level meta has shifted towards everyone being strong enough not to actually need much support, are there any Defender primaries/Corruptor secondaries that are still helpful? Sorta wonder if when I come back to playing my Dual Pistol/Dark Miasma Incarnate-level Corruptor he won't actually get a chance to do much in max-level groups.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Harrow posted:

Now that the overall max-level meta has shifted towards everyone being strong enough not to actually need much support, are there any Defender primaries/Corruptor secondaries that are still helpful? Sorta wonder if when I come back to playing my Dual Pistol/Dark Miasma Incarnate-level Corruptor he won't actually get a chance to do much in max-level groups.

The debuff-focused sets are definitely still great, especially for anything that involves fighting AVs.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Yeah, anything that can be built to debuff or buff offense remains useful endgame, and that's like, everything but FF?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Potsticker posted:

Unless I'm remembering totally wrong that AT does exist...just not on Homecoming. IIRC, the person in charge of hashing it out jumped ship to a different public server cluster or the work was abandoned and then picked back up by said server? No idea on any of the details beyond that though.

Harrow posted:

TBH, I feel like the idea that everyone can take care of themselves at endgame is a bit overblown. Granted, Destiny powers alone break things open a lot more, but I've always been wary of people who go to extremes and claim Force Field is bad because at level 50 everyone's already soft-capped. (And, y'know, not the more obvious and tangible reasons why FF is a mediocre set.)

Dark Miasma will literally never not be relevant though. It brings just about everything to the table you could ever hope for.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cool, I really like Dark Miasma so I'm glad to know it's still relevant even in a world of crazy incarnate powers popping off everywhere.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Any thoughts on regen for scrappers? I remember back on live, I hated it when they nerfed the toggles into clicks, but maybe I was just being huffy because I couldn't one-shot huge groups of +4 mobs anymore. People are still playing regen, so it can't be that bad...can it?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Seventh Arrow posted:

Any thoughts on regen for scrappers? I remember back on live, I hated it when they nerfed the toggles into clicks, but maybe I was just being huffy because I couldn't one-shot huge groups of +4 mobs anymore. People are still playing regen, so it can't be that bad...can it?

What I remember is that it's usable but you'll always be squishy because it has no damage resistance at all and no amount of regen can save you from a one shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

As someone who mained a MA/Regen Scrapper from after I7 until the shutdown:

Bakalakadaka posted:

What I remember is that it's usable but you'll always be squishy because it has no damage resistance at all and no amount of regen can save you from a one shot.

This. /Willpower is a better /Regen in pretty much every way.