Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

PantsBandit posted:

Is there some trick to targeting a particular enemy? Mostly I attack the one closest but sometimes (particularly with sweeps) I end up swiping air bc she decided to target a different enemy who isn't close.

pushing left stick in the direction of the enemy works most of the time for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Second thing I hate, after not having a restart level button on the death screen: the dumb slowdown. It's supposed to be helpful but it makes me mistime avoiding grabs constantly. I hope hard mode doesn't have it.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Game rules, and feeds into my perfectionist drive in a real satisfying way.

My hope for post launch support is to give me a postgame option to lock my appearance to whatever age I want because drat the later outfits look great but I wanna look that cool all the time. Yes yes mods but I'm a consolemans for this one and I think it'd just be a nice feature.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Some balance tweaks to the game with the new 1.06 patch.
Notes pulled from the PS version that someone shared to Reddit as I can't find a way to view them on the PC.
Note that although there's no fix here for the Shrine bug (getting a perfect run at Age 20 on a stage will permanently lock your shrine choices on that stage with no way to update it by doing a better run) the devs are aware of it and have said a fix is coming next patch.

Sifu 1.06 Patch Notes posted:

Design:

-Sean
Intentions: Being one of our first bosses, Sean is meant to encourage players to explore their defensive options. But for a player with partial knowledge of the combat system this fight can be ruthless, as such we want to balance the boss to be less unforgiving while keeping its identity to allow more experimentation.
Global: Deals slightly less damage on a few key moves.
Global: The sweep attack is now avoid punishable.
Phase 2: Changed the trigger condition for the Burst phase
Phase 2 Burst: No longer randomly disengages the combat

-Disciple
Intentions: Disciple is a lethal archetype focused on few but very powerful offbeat attacks. In addition to their exotic combos they can be very evasive and oppressive, which make for frustrating fights in 1 vs many situations, we want to tone this down.
Deals slightly less damage on a few key moves.
Changed the disciple placement when fighting in a group.
Relies less on avoid while in defense
Tweaked attack patterns for advanced version
Both Disciples before Sean are now the base version of the archetype.

Bug Fixes:
Fixed blade infinite against Kuroki
Fixed the duration of the parried state to be similar to the deflected for the MC

Code:
-Crash fix when restarting the run after dying on top of blazing atrium
-Crash fix on destructibles physics
-Crash fix on attack position generation
-Crash fix on menu stack
-Fixed issue on death counter

Art:
-Fixed collision issues

Reddit is full of people moaning about nerfs to Sean/enemies because they beat it legit so everyone else should have to/they didn't get to beat it before it was nerfed so now it's completely worthless to do so/whatever.
The devs have spelt out their reasoning pretty clearly in the patch notes so I'm perfectly fine with both changes, it's not like there's no shortage of other difficult challenges in the game. Particularly happy that Sean won't keep getting into one-two-leap back-one-two-leap back loops because waiting him out if you didn't have the focus up to knock him out of it was tedious, not challenging.

Apparently the "fixed collision issue" fixed the pillars in Sean's room too (it was possible for both you or Sean to get stuck in one of the side pillars and be unable to escape - funny when it happened to Sean, not so much when it happened to you).

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Anyone have tips for any heavy structure-damage combos? The most consistent I have is a simple light/heavy into throw at the wall or into back forward light into a wall..which is consistent but very slow.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
You can rinse the artist phase one by getting good at parrying her first attack, which is always the tell for the rest of her combo. if she goes high, the next attack will be low, vice versa and same for side to side attacks.

Its not trivial though because if you scuff it you take tons of chip damage.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Bummer. This was the kind of game I thought I could have fun going for all achievements since I’m at 38/42 after my spare run but the game is bugged and says I don’t have the Sanctuary detective board complete even though I do.

At least I won’t get mad sinking the time into beating it young.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Please help me with Sean. He keeps (post-first playthrough spoiler)dying and I am trying to spare his low-life rear end!! What are your go-to moves to parry, or what are your combos (or lack thereof) when it comes to focusing on structure damage?

I can dodge and survive indefinitely no problem, but I can't seem to pick a good move to parry or maybe I'm just mucking up the timing, so it's all avoids into the smallest combos possible but he still dies just before I get to spare him FUUUUU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Artelier posted:

Please help me with Sean. He keeps (post-first playthrough spoiler)dying and I am trying to spare his low-life rear end!! What are your go-to moves to parry, or what are your combos (or lack thereof) when it comes to focusing on structure damage?

I can dodge and survive indefinitely no problem, but I can't seem to pick a good move to parry or maybe I'm just mucking up the timing, so it's all avoids into the smallest combos possible but he still dies just before I get to spare him FUUUUU

Just block. You don't have to parry.

To be more specific, blocking anything does chip structure damage to him even as it hits yours this piles up over time. So block a hit or two, dodge the end of the combo string and hit him a few times. Then rinse and repeat.

In addition, a helpful tip is that when he is close to dying in phase one, sweep him with the focus move, then run to the side and grab a fresh staff for phase 2. Blocking him with a weapon equipped means that you can usually block a few hits, dodge a few hits and be stamina neutral.

This is actually a generally useful tip for most of the game. If you are full on structure and aren't being pressed, always try to parry the first few attacks in a combo (parry early so even if you miss the window you still block) and aim to dodge the last hit. For bosses in particular, the dodge window only matters on the last hit, so dodging anything but that one is largely useless for anything other than focus and structure regain.

Done right this gives you a couple chances to parry for strong damage, then the safe fallback dodge into a combo if you failed.

Caros fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 16, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Made it P2 of B2. Slowly getting better in my hour or so a day.

Thinking once I get him down to go back and no death L1. Just wondering what upgrades I should grab. It seems that weapon durability is the one to get early as it goes away at 25. The other one I have liked so far is the one that fills your bar with dodges.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
Long term I found the focus stuff a lot less useful than weapon and structure upgrades

Caros
May 14, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Made it P2 of B2. Slowly getting better in my hour or so a day.

Thinking once I get him down to go back and no death L1. Just wondering what upgrades I should grab. It seems that weapon durability is the one to get early as it goes away at 25. The other one I have liked so far is the one that fills your bar with dodges.

My recommendation usually goes like this

Parry damage (requires high score, so if you can get it take it. Once you are better, grind out stage one for a good finishing age and try to get two of these. It is possible so long as you kill all the elites with a high multiplier, so don't get hit.)
Weapon durability (useful for every boss)
Max structure (useful everywhere)
Weapon damage (again, bosses)
Structure gain on dodge.

Health on takedown doesn't help you with bosses or elite enemies which is where you will lose most of your lives. Focus amount up seems pointless to me when sweep is right there. Focus gain on dodge is useful but it's bad to rely on it. Reset death counter I never used.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I am in the (end of game)Yang Phase 3 fight and my god it sucks. I assume I have to stagger him completely but I've been here 5 minutes and [i]he keeps backdashing please stop backdashing especially when my dash/run button doesn't work anymore

The extra zoomed in camera and him insisting on switching positions like all the time doesn't help too

Thank you powers of complaining on message boards he instantly stopped backdashing after I posted

Artelier fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 16, 2022

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Artelier posted:

So I am in the (end of game)Yang Phase 3 fight and my god it sucks. I assume I have to stagger him completely but I've been here 5 minutes and [i]he keeps backdashing please stop backdashing especially when my dash/run button doesn't work anymore

The extra zoomed in camera and him insisting on switching positions like all the time doesn't help too

Thank you powers of complaining on message boards he instantly stopped backdashing after I posted

Yeah it's rough. I just finished it last night after thinking you had to do it twice again. :barf:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Second thing I hate, after not having a restart level button on the death screen: the dumb slowdown. It's supposed to be helpful but it makes me mistime avoiding grabs constantly. I hope hard mode doesn't have it.

I felt it out more and I'm pretty sure that if you're playing it the way they intend, with the "dumb slowdown", timing is much easier not only because it extends time, but also because it forces the combat into a timing where your buffer is accurately timed to parry or dodge. Embrace the slowdown, calm down, always be slowing time down, and put in exactly one input for your buffer. Slowing the time down seems to also open up the timing window to the point that parries/avoids are silly easy to do. The best example I can show for how it works is the first fat guy and when it shows you how to avoid grabs. That prompt has some kind of mega slowdown that helps you find the avoid input and use it, but the timing is actually still the same, it's just dilated from the time slow. You aren't simply mistiming it, you're getting flustered by it. Stop thinking about it as a timing issue and start thinking about it as a prediction issue.

I might have to make an actual video to explain this because explaining it as music without an audio/video example is seeming impossible

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caros posted:

Parry damage (requires high score, so if you can get it take it. Once you are better, grind out stage one for a good finishing age and try to get two of these. It is possible so long as you kill all the elites with a high multiplier, so don't get hit.)

It is very possible to get two parry damage on stage one OR stage 2, and I'd say stage 2 is actually easier because if you have the health to skip the first shrine, you can save it and use it right before you go to the gym or whatever. A full clear of stage 2 is worth many points. Getting 1 parry damage per stage for the first 3 stages is perfectly ok

Caros posted:

Health on takedown doesn't help you with bosses or elite enemies which is where you will lose most of your lives. Focus amount up seems pointless to me when sweep is right there. Focus gain on dodge is useful but it's bad to rely on it. Reset death counter I never used.

I believe that those other options are stuff you can expect to look at when you're playing it in what I'm calling arcade mode, which is starting from nothing and only picking temporary unlocks, not intending to permanently unlock anything just playing from stage 1 all the way through with no continues. The xp costs make sense in that mode, and when you are capable of beating the game, does it really matter what stats you picked to beat the rest of it?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 16, 2022

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Because of how the club works you can clear the entire area pre card swipe, then grab the first statue before the one way transition to the 2nd statue. Its not easy though and more or less requires you to play flawlessly and keep a 5x counter from the start.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Okay, I have figured out Artist 1, assuming your timing and execution is good. I've eliminated the guesswork of the sweep.

Because of how inputs work in this game, you can attack and defend at the same time. This is because attack and offense really do happen simultaneously. It just happens that you can't use the normal guard to interrupt moves. However, you can use deflect and avoid to interrupt moves. Because of this, you can avoid or deflect in the middle of anything. I got to thinking "really? anything?"

So yeah anyways I use rush to maintain my rhythm during fights and I realized it looks like rush has the property of ducking, so I tried using an Up avoid in the middle of a rush and yeah it will avoid sweeps if you do that. Against Artist 1, you can further avoid her vertical attacks by making sure you rush to the side. I find that just hitting up+right+L1+L2 works to give me total incorporeality. If I time it good, sometimes I get a parry instead.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

signalnoise posted:

I felt it out more and I'm pretty sure that if you're playing it the way they intend, with the "dumb slowdown", timing is much easier not only because it extends time, but also because it forces the combat into a timing where your buffer is accurately timed to parry or dodge. Embrace the slowdown, calm down, always be slowing time down, and put in exactly one input for your buffer. Slowing the time down seems to also open up the timing window to the point that parries/avoids are silly easy to do. The best example I can show for how it works is the first fat guy and when it shows you how to avoid grabs. That prompt has some kind of mega slowdown that helps you find the avoid input and use it, but the timing is actually still the same, it's just dilated from the time slow. You aren't simply mistiming it, you're getting flustered by it. Stop thinking about it as a timing issue and start thinking about it as a prediction issue.

I might have to make an actual video to explain this because explaining it as music without an audio/video example is seeming impossible

I usually gently caress up dodging the grab on the first fat guy because of the slowdown.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I usually gently caress up dodging the grab on the first fat guy because of the slowdown.

And I'm telling you once you understand this about the game you won't miss that dodge ever again

If I explain this in terms of a music sequencer will that be a problem? I really need to get this hammered home because it matters so drat much, like the difference between when I'm playing to force reactions according to a rhythm and when I'm playing it like it's Final Fight or something is night and day

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
the slowdown is kind of annoying yeah
I have died to it doing exactly 1 dodge at the point in an enemy animation I usually would (a second enemy coming at me from behind) and then the slowdown has ended with me mid dodge and they've sped up and landed their killing blow

I 100% dodge that attack by doding at that point in their animation without the slowdown

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
despite this I am still playing this game after two playthroughs and (endgame spoilers) getting both endings

this game is so loving good

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I saw a streamer do a move where they could just knock a guy down with a batshot to the legs and I can't figure out how to do it......

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I saw a streamer do a move where they could just knock a guy down with a batshot to the legs and I can't figure out how to do it......

Hold triangle with a bat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Agnostalgia posted:

Hold triangle with a bat.

That isn't the one I was thinking off. He was doing a move that was almost hitting them in the feet and would knock them down with the bat......

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

mcmagic posted:

That isn't the one I was thinking off. He was doing a move that was almost hitting them in the feet and would knock them down with the bat......

Sweep?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Well the hold triangle move is the face slap but for bat. The bat version is a sweep, but with the same timing and basic combat purpose of ending a combo that is being blocked

It could be they just got their rear end handed to them and fell down, was there a camera change that would suggest it was a specific cool move

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

the slowdown is kind of annoying yeah
I have died to it doing exactly 1 dodge at the point in an enemy animation I usually would (a second enemy coming at me from behind) and then the slowdown has ended with me mid dodge and they've sped up and landed their killing blow

I 100% dodge that attack by doding at that point in their animation without the slowdown

Are you fully aware exactly how the slowdown works? Cause seriously I am telling you if you plan for it, it's good and helpful

Please everyone who has complaints about the slowdown, please stop for a sec and understand how it is good because the way this game does parries is not quite Sekiro, and you'll be at a massive disadvantage if you keep fighting that system that is designed to help you

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Well the hold triangle move is the face slap but for bat. The bat version is a sweep, but with the same timing and basic combat purpose of ending a combo that is being blocked

It could be they just got their rear end handed to them and fell down, was there a camera change that would suggest it was a specific cool move

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkuqEI5hAL8&t=113s

1:50 of this video. He hits the guy from the left and knocks him down with the bat. It's not a sweep or a heavy bat attack.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

mcmagic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkuqEI5hAL8&t=113s

1:50 of this video. He hits the guy from the left and knocks him down with the bat. It's not a sweep or a heavy bat attack.

It's the attack you get when you hold down heavy with the bat. Might need to unlock the backhand strike before you can do it though.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Got my first clear, ending at 65!

Yang is tough as hell and I wish I'd spec'd structure damage on parry on my shrines more.
And also that I'd practiced parrying more.
And also that I was better at parrying.

Incredible game. Think I'm going to do some runs of Stacks and Club just to grab the remaining moves I haven't unlocked, try and round out my detective board, then when I've got everything else sorted it'll be time to go for the Spare Bosses ending.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
There's a john wick mod, where is the ron van clief mod!!!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just beat the artist at 20 hoo that felt loving GOOD! Felt like I had her totally dialed in.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

It's the attack you get when you hold down heavy with the bat. Might need to unlock the backhand strike before you can do it though.

Confirm, that is the backhand strike on bats.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

On my third run through the game, and I'm 21 years old entering the fourth stage. One death so far because I was trying to style in the museum but fell off some stairs whoops.

For those struggling on Artist 1, I have a safe but slow strategy - Stay out of range and bait an attack by walking into range and dashing/running out. Once she starts an attack string she cannot stop it until the combo is complete, so hover outside her range and then dash attack/forward forward heavy to get in and get a safe combo. If she does her long attack where she spins her weapon vertically, just keep running away from her (you don't even need the camera to be looking towards her), she'll get tired eventually.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Confirm, that is the backhand strike on bats.

Ahh thats it. I didn't get that upgrade yet.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I took a break from work and before I knew it, I beat Sifu at age 23. 3 deaths. 1 due to carelessness on some stairs, second due to accidentally finding a way to skip some encounters in Stage 4 where I thought it was the area I was supposed to jump down to the boss - it wasn't, but it was close to it, I took a death and immediately started the boss fight so I'm going to try and see if I can reproduce the exact place I dropped down at and the third death was just a bit of carelessness against the lass boss, who is much more doable this time around because I'm more used to the fight.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

The last boss is going to give me a stroke. How the gently caress does anyone do this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Carmant posted:

The last boss is going to give me a stroke. How the gently caress does anyone do this.

Yeah he's very much a final exam. You'll eventually take it up a notch just by rote learning but he's loving hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Carmant posted:

The way I approach that fight:

First phase just be as aggressive as you can, just keep attacking him even if he dodges or blocks. When he does dodge your stuff he'll always do a counterattack. These counterattacks are way easier to dodge than his normal combos, you can just spam dodge on most of them, and give you a massive amount of slowdown if you dodge the final strike on each one, which lets you get some hits off. If he jumps back instead of counterattacking then 90% of the time he'll do the slide which you can high dodge

Second phase is much the same, except take some time to reposition if you're too close to the wall cuz he WILL gently caress you up and the camera will poo poo itself. This time when he jumps back he'll usually do his 4-hit weird attack where he flies at you. Devastating if it hits but get the timing down for the dodges and that's another free combo. If he does what looks like a charging animation for the backhand strike he'll read your button inputs and attack as soon as you push an attack button, so either keep your distance or attack and immediately hit block for a free parry