Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Talespin looks like loving garbage I can't believe they haven't rebooted it 20 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Talespin is a major inspiration for my "babu frik driving a small car" pitch. Say what you will about how creative it is or whatever, but character driving a vehicle is a proven formula

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

PostNouveau posted:

wtf is Talespin?

There was a third one of these shows?

Its the 1930's and Jungle Book flies a seaplane

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
As a kid Tale Spin was my favourite, then Duck Tales and then Rescue Rangers was a distant 3rd. Of the disney stuff.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

priznat posted:

As a kid Tale Spin was my favourite, then Duck Tales and then Rescue Rangers was a distant 3rd. Of the disney stuff.

Along with Darkwing Duck these are all apparently in some kind of shared continuity. The most recent Duck Tales has an episode with the kid in Tale Spin as a grown up loser running the failing sea plane business. The clips I've seen of it on YouTube kind of make me want to check it out to see if it's worth watching with the kids.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Darkwing Duck was my favorite of those duck shows, no contest

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
As a cool kid who watched nickelodeon and cartoon network and animes, the ducks shows and talespin already seemed like insane fever dreams. I was baffled to grow up and learn people were nostalgic for these things.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I was also a darkwing duck kid, but I think its appeal was very specific to that period and it's not adaptable to the current media ecosystem in the way talespin is. You couldn't do darkwing duck with babu frik.

...Or could you?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Mods No Masters posted:

I was also a darkwing duck kid, but I think its appeal was very specific to that period and it's not adaptable to the current media ecosystem in the way talespin is. You couldn't do darkwing duck with babu frik.

...Or could you?

You could do anything with Babu Frik

Lord of the Rings, Midnight Cowboy, Wrestlemania 38

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

X JAKK posted:

so it's the same show but with way more people saying the n word

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Coxswain Balls posted:

Along with Darkwing Duck these are all apparently in some kind of shared continuity. The most recent Duck Tales has an episode with the kid in Tale Spin as a grown up loser running the failing sea plane business. The clips I've seen of it on YouTube kind of make me want to check it out to see if it's worth watching with the kids.

Pfft call me when there's a gummi bears crossover. (and no I don't mean that stupid video game)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As a cool kid who watched nickelodeon and cartoon network and animes, the ducks shows and talespin already seemed like insane fever dreams. I was baffled to grow up and learn people were nostalgic for these things.

For kids who were too poor for cable, those after-school cartoons (the Disney Ducktales/Rescue Rangers/etc block and the later Fox animation block) were everything.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Gargoyles was the gateway to “adult” drama cartoons for a LOT of weirdos and theater dorks.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Victis posted:

That's not the one from Talespin

The one from talespin had like a turtleneck and parachute pants, idk what that one pervert is projecting about his cartoon fetishes

I remember watching the poo poo out of the talespin movie with cartoon bear milf, bart simpson bear kid that flies a little crescent board on the air like he's water skiing, and evil corporate fatcat (:dadjoke:) Shere Khan about a magical crystal and laser weapons.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sagebrush posted:

I though it was Talespin that had a fat pilot and a too-sexualized-for-a-kids-show squirrel woman, but then I realized on that show it's a fat pilot and a too-sexualized-for-a-kids-show bear woman.

A mom bear in a sweater and high-waisted mom pants, voiced by Sally Struthers.

So sexual!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i am upset with myself for knowing what each and every one of these disney cartoons mentioned are despite the fact i watched exactly zero of them as a child (nickelodeon/cartoon network kid). internet osmosis has poisoned my brain worse than lead did to boomers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

Gargoyles was the gateway to “adult” drama cartoons for a LOT of weirdos and theater dorks.

:hai:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

A mom bear in a sweater and high-waisted mom pants, voiced by Sally Struthers.

So sexual!

Good enough for fat slob Baloo, the dude who legit sings a dance number about having no worries, my spirit animal.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

X JAKK posted:

:actually:
it's the Jungle Book meets
Tales of the Gold Monkey

Which is Indiana Jones meets Only Angels Have Wings

Except with the sex offender from Seventh Heaven

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

With the popularity of superheroes it's really surprising Disney hasn't rebooted Darkwing Duck.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Also, Gargoyles was the greatest kids show of all time AND it starred Keith David, making it the best show of all time

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If I were baloo on talespin I would have been worried about loving world war 2. Jesus christ

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

For kids who were too poor for cable, those after-school cartoons (the Disney Ducktales/Rescue Rangers/etc block and the later Fox animation block) were everything.

In my town all this poo poo was on the Disney Channel, which cost extra on cable so we didn't have it.

It was all X-Men and Spider-Man after school at my house.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

mallratcal posted:

With the popularity of superheroes it's really surprising Disney hasn't rebooted Darkwing Duck.

Monkey’s paw curls, Frankie Muniz is tapped for the live action grim-dark revival to one of Disney’s satellite studios and gets insanely jacked on HGH for the roll. Screenplay by Rian Johnson, Directed by James Gunn.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

:unsmith:

I still think about the Rescue Rangers Cola Cult episode/song and watching Wild Wild Country as an adult made me laugh in hindsight

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

If I were baloo on talespin I would have been worried about loving world war 2. Jesus christ

Lmao

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I'm sad no one ever seems to remember Fluppy Dogs. You know, the one about talking dog creatures that has the same interdimensional crossing premise as Sliders.

Ripe for a reboot in the current multiverse obsessed media environment.

It being a thanksgiving special that was supposed to act as a pilot for a series that never materialized probably has something to do with it. But I remember those invisible doors and crystal keys.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sedgr posted:

I'm sad no one ever seems to remember Fluppy Dogs. You know, the one about talking dog creatures that has the same interdimensional crossing premise as Sliders.

Ripe for a reboot in the current multiverse obsessed media environment.

It being a thanksgiving special that was supposed to act as a pilot for a series that never materialized probably has something to do with it. But I remember those invisible doors and crystal keys.

I loved the gently caress out of that garbage.

E oops

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

SilvergunSuperman posted:

If a series can never just fuckin die, I am 1000% more onboard with Brendan Fraser continuing on as porky Indiana Jones than goddamn Christ Pratt

Spelunky movie

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

I wonder if Mike watched any of it, what with everyone on TNG seemingly being cast in it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Coxswain Balls posted:

I wonder if Mike watched any of it, what with everyone on TNG seemingly being cast in it.

There’s a panel discussion with some of the cast where they were like “a big part of why gargoyles rocked is because we were all friends and had great chemistry from TNG” it sounds like it was a real love fest.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

They only had pirates, capitalists, and stalinists as antagonists sadly

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CMA_Hudson/status/1493611059822931969

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This looks bad

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Someone mentioned they hired a lot of art designers that did the covers of the books to work on the movies, and that's the smartest goddamn thing I've ever heard

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The making-of documentaries the LOTR Extended DVDs came with are amazing. He amount of love and care put into every square inch of the production is ridiculous

https://youtu.be/mdaYOovyneI

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 16, 2022

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
arent people tired of the superheroes could be bad thing that's been trending for what seems like the last 2 years? same thing with action movies like john wick......is anyone excited for a john wick 7?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Victis posted:

They only had pirates, capitalists, and stalinists as antagonists sadly

You know as well as I do the Rebecca Cunningham listened to Charles Couglin every night.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Someone mentioned they hired a lot of art designers that did the covers of the books to work on the movies, and that's the smartest goddamn thing I've ever heard

Alan Lee and john Howe had done illustrated editions, calendars, paintings, etc for decades beforehand. They were huge parts of the design team, and John Howe is legit armor/swords nerd which is why all of the armor is functional, meaning the actors can move around properly in it.

Like John would go take blunt practice swords into the parking lot with other designers and spar to blow off steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I never really liked Darkwing Duck in that whole duck block.

It is surprising they haven’t tried to do a Tale Spin reboot.