Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I've thought of the worst-case scenario for Funky Winkerbean's current Oscar arc.

Marianne has been nominated, and we get a week or two of her in disbelief that it's happened. Mason reassures her that Lisa's Story is Very Important. He calls Les and tells him it's in the running.
She's getting all geared up for the event, when she feels a pain in her chest. A doctor confirms that the cancer has returned, worse than ever. This is another week or two of strips.
Unable to make it to the event because of an emergency procedure, she gives her seat to Les, because after all, it's his story about his dead saint of a wife. When Marianne wins the Oscar for best Dead Wife Story, Les goes up to accept it on her behalf. He barely mentions Marianne's name and just talks about his dead wife. This takes another week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Considering that Les's proposal to Cayla was a walking tour of all the important locations in his relationship with Lisa, that scenario is depressingly plausible.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 6, 2000)

Janis, you didn't have to kill that poor cat

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 16, 1949)

Aleta is unfailingly amazing

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 16, 2022

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
the wise cartoonist bowed his head and solemnly spoke

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaA09JgP9S2/?utm_medium=copy_link

Breathed has decided to get money.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ain't the first time

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break

Old School Peanuts (May 14, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes ()

No Blind Alley today.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Blueberry gets a rude awakening, or Boudini? More like Judas...-ini..., or Red and Jim can hold a grudge with the best of them

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Poil posted:

Tackling the difficult issues of the youth with the understanding of a boomer.
Honestly this is probably the closest I've seen a boomer get to getting the concept of cultural appropriation right. (bearing in mind that half the internet doesn't know what it means either)

2018 Spiderman

Encyclopedia Brown's Wild Ride(and other 1979 comics)

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

:ohdear:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Dethany please you know so many people in newspaper comics, unite with them and just throw off your chains, seize the means of production I beg of you, you can even use those useless chumpwads from Intelligent Life if it ends all of this suffering.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

gently caress me, he's gonna be a loving mouse and we get a storyline where he learns empathy or some drat thing. He never asked for this in the first place!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

The Powerful Katrinka: 💪

Everyone else: 😳

Classic Kevin & Kell in: college life (November 7-13, 2005)

Rhonda's situation is actually pretty common, especially for neurodivergent people.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori is kink shaming birds.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

I don't know what it is, but something about the way words are bolded in Mary Worth comes off as odd to me. Rex Morgan does the same thing, but somehow it's less noticeable there.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

The Blime song is a song that's about dancing together that's extremely popular with the kids and since I work with kids it's etched into my brain forever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQQX_m4VEPc

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Holbrook seems like a super nice dude who is very accepting and on the right side of history regarding social issues but holy gently caress his characters and stories are just awful. I think catlord is right that he's going to have been turned into a mouse and will realize what it feels like to feel scared, defenseless, etc., and will learn empathy. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's the fact that he was turned into a human against his will and forced to work for magic DNA lady to get there. And the worst part is, she doesn't even say "I'm sorry, it was wrong of me to do this, I shouldn't have forced you to work for me," it's just "This isn't working out because you're too toxic." No poo poo! You do all this stuff to him and then have the nerve to be upset he's pissed off about it?

Wow, who would have guessed that Wilbur was the villain of this Mandrake story?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

No middle school girl is going to say she has to "keep her room tidy".

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mikl posted:

The Powerful Katrinka: 💪

Everyone else: 😳

I love the awakening the Powerful Katrinka has given to everyone in the room.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (April 7, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 7, 2000)

Garfield Classic (April 7, 1990)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

The Blime song is a song that's about dancing together that's extremely popular with the kids and since I work with kids it's etched into my brain forever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQQX_m4VEPc

Oh, these poor people.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bronzi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/15/02

Brenda Starr 3/7/48

"I have learned ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from being tied up and left to die by a con man."

Smokey Stover 3/24/46

Everyday Movies 11/5/34

Spoilered for 1934-ish depiction of a black man.

"Yas boss, business is pickin' up. Us fellers can tell it quicker than all those financial experts."

Bonus Ad! Whoever wrote this one deserves some kind of award for tortured rhyming.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 16, 2022

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Oct. 23, 1949)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (April 7, 2010)

Ah he wants an NFT.

Edit: I too feel with the norweigan parents, one of my boys had to have life saving surgery (patching a VSD and ASD) when he was a few months old. Not a fun christmas.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 16, 2022

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze via ArcaMax

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

I don't begrudge medical workers for doing this, because they need to have some way to keep themselves detached from the stress they're constantly under, but god drat it's true.

I laughed, although I don't think the outcome would have changed if it was an electric stove.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

This teacher rules.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 16, 2022

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Green Intern posted:

This teacher rules.

Right? I am in awe of the stuff he manages to pull. And he's never mean-spirited, he actually cares about his students.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hella yeah Aleta

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "37 - Jucika and the Asphalt Rascal"

Asphalt Rascal being slang for cat caller.

"38 - Jucika Loves Pets"

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Giant Days x Batman

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Daisy’s a lot more laissez-faire about this whole situation than you might expect. But she’s chilled out a lot since self-published Giant Days #3, you know? Maybe you don’t know. Just take it from me. I’m sure it’s nothing suspicious.

I wonder what Daisy picked up in panel three.

Also Allison updated his Scary-Go-Round website, which had been down for some time. Unfortunately he's not going to re-post his old comics, but it will act as a sort of hub for his various websites. It also has links to the start of all the Bad Machinery cases on GoComics.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

:haw:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "37 - Jucika and the Asphalt Rascal"

Asphalt Rascal being slang for cat caller.

This continues to be my favorite Non-English Comics slang

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

I wonder if Frank's neckbolts are metric or imperial.

The Family Circus

"Also, what's repentin'? Whitney's mommy says we should all be doin' that if we don't want to go to Hell."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, my elementary-age girls tell absolute horror stories about the bathrooms at their school.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Green Intern posted:

This teacher rules.

Makes me wonder what would've happened if Calvin had this teacher instead of Ms. Wormwood.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (September 26-28, 1918)

I just wanted to note how much I love the way The Powerful Katrinka's stength/muscles are never the butt of the joke, never mocked or put down, only marveled at or admired.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I like the idea of living through a Batman caper through the eyes of innocent bystanders. I’m sure it’s been done in official DC comics but it’s a cute set up.