Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Majorian posted:

As far as NATO is concerned, he's demonstrated pretty conclusively that most of the alliance does not want to be dragged into a war with Russia, which is why countries like Ukraine will never be allowed in.
This is a weird take. NATO members don't want to be dragged to the defense of... a non-member for which they have zero obligation to defend? That doesn't sound like a surprise and is certainly not a win for Putin. If anything, the resolve major NATO members have shown despite the complete lack of obligation is heartening. Germany especially has been aggressively targeted by Russian soft power for decades to shift its domestic incentives against confronting Russia, but has still made serious commitments to imposing costs on Putin's belligerence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

This is a weird take. NATO members don't want to be dragged to the defense of... a non-member for which they have zero obligation to defend? That doesn't sound like a surprise and is certainly not a win for Putin. If anything, the resolve major NATO members have shown despite the complete lack of obligation is heartening. Germany especially has been aggressively targeted by Russian soft power for decades to shift its domestic incentives against confronting Russia, but has still made serious commitments to imposing costs on Putin's belligerence.

Moreover both Macron and Scholz have now had direct experience of trying to talk to Putin and then having a bruising press conference straight afterwards where they got pretty badly treated. Even if national policy of diplomatic engagement remains the same, it just matters that the people at the top had a terrible experience, know the guy on the other end of the table isn't going to deal with them honestly, and probably don't want to do it again.

e: this is not the kind of suggestion that gets made unless allies were happy to say it

https://twitter.com/MarkUrban01/status/1493978369993719809

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 16, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Alchenar posted:

Moreover both Macron and Scholz have now had direct experience of trying to talk to Putin and then having a bruising press conference straight afterwards where they got pretty badly treated. Even if national policy of diplomatic engagement remains the same, it just matters that the people at the top had a terrible experience, know the guy on the other end of the table isn't going to deal with them honestly, and probably don't want to do it again.

e: this is not the kind of suggestion that gets made unless allies were happy to say it

https://twitter.com/MarkUrban01/status/1493978369993719809

Oh good battleground in eastern Europe.

Lol cool it's about time we relitigate the fulda gap.

You see. Ukraine is the sick man of Europe who must be cleaned of the infectious "pro Europe" sentiment.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 16, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Alchenar posted:

In any case I think the whole border >< elections issue over Minsk is shadowboxing. Putin's real endgame objective is obviously an autonomous region that will reliably return a Moscow client and which constitutionally holds a veto over Ukrainian membership of NATO. That's probably the legal guarantee he keeps asking someone to offer him.

I think you are right overall, and of course that's not going to be accepted by any actually Ukrainian government. The order stuff matters insomuch that even the sort of things that would be acceptable are political non-starters w/o more than promises from Russia since no one in Ukraine will believe those.

Edit: it would also determine whether the MPs are chosen by Putin or Akhmetov, and those are not the same, even considering Akhmetov's... questionable loyalties.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 16, 2022

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the US has been acting much more assertively in NATO over the past decade or so and stoltenberg is very much Washington's man. i wouldn't read too much into it other than that.

i agree with the earlier point that one imagined form of the kind of guarantee that putin wants is a ratified minsk accord amounting to a basically pro-russian regional veto of ukrainian NATO membership. another guarantee could simply take the form of NATO saying "sorry the books are closed for eastward expansion". NATO has shown itself in principle unwilling to do this for various reasons, and is seizing on the ukrainian situation to try and make itself more relevant and to increase support for its otherwise unpopular budget demands. a russian all-out invasion of ukraine would be, as mentioned earlier, both incredibly stupid objectively and very out of step with how putin's government has tended to deploy its hard power in the past.

there's no good guy here, just competing imperial interests and a really awkwardly placed and unstable ukraine in the middle, being fought over both by foreign powers and its own incredibly venal upper class. i have a fair amount of sympathy for zelenskij, who's got a really bad hand, but that's about it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just as a quick thing, but I saw this posted elsewhere and wanted to ask folks here if there is any truth to it?

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1493939541710974982?s=20&t=NghImyNSf51Sl3CJYSxY9A

Does this mean that there is a disdain for a variety of western media outlets in Ukraine or just amongst the people at the top of the government atm? Or is it just a personal opinion sort of thing.

Sorry to drop it in, but I figure that other people here will know more than me just trying to google things willy nilly.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I don't think this turned out well for Russia, but there's no reason why pushing things to the brink like this wouldn't also hurt Ukraine. It's just a matter of how much the monetary costs of "responding to troop buildup on borders" end up being for the smaller guy.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Josef bugman posted:

Does this mean that there is a disdain for a variety of western media outlets in Ukraine or just amongst the people at the top of the government atm? Or is it just a personal opinion sort of thing.
Many outlets in free Western media have a tendency to play up stories that will get them views and it's absolutely likely that it's deterred foreign investment and tourism in Ukraine. This doesn't mean that the underlying story is wrong, just that it would be vastly better for Ukraine if the crisis were unfolding entirely behind closed doors. One of the points of Putin's saber rattling is to show that he can inflict serious economic damage on Ukraine without actually invading. But the facts on the ground are still that he does have an invasion force amassed and waiting for his word, so the blame ultimately lies with him—excess noise in some media outlets is just an inconvenience.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Welp, looks like Putin won.

https://eurovisionworld.com/esc/ukraine-alina-pash-withdraws-from-eurovision-song-contest-2022

quote:

Ukraine: Alina Pash withdraws from Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Alina Pash won the Ukrainian selection Vidbir 2022 just five days ago. She should have represented Ukraine at Eurovision Song Contest 2022 with the song "Tini Zabutykh Predkiv", but not anymore.

Alina has just issued a statement on her Instagram, where she announces her withdrawal from Eurovision Song Contest 2022:

quote:

I am a citizen of Ukraine, I follow the laws of Ukraine, I try to bring the traditions and values of Ukraine to the world. What this story turned out to be is not at all what I put into my song.

I am an artist, not a politician. I do not have an army of PR people, managers and lawyers to resist all these attacks and pressure, hacking my social media accounts and threats. And neither do I have them to resist the completely unacceptable wording that people use without the situation and forgetting the dignity of all Ukrainian citizens.

I don’t want this virtual war and hate. The main war now is the foreign one which came to my country in 2014.

I don’t want to be part of this dirty story anymore. With a heavy heart, I withdraw my candidacy as a representative of Ukraine in the Eurovision Song Contest. I am incredibly sorry.

We will contact UA:PBC and sign all of the necessary documents.

On a side note, I want to thank everyone who supports me and helps me, who listens to my song and the important message, and not gossip about me. Thank you!

The story continues with you and it is up to us to decide what it will be ❤️

Let's unite! Now it is more important than ever! 💛🇺🇦💙

The statement comes after the Ukrainian broadcaster UA:PBC refused to sign the agreement for her to represent Ukraine at Eurovision Song Contest 2022, while they are investigating a trip she made to Crimea in 2015, an area Russia seized control of in 2014.

In Ukraine, there are strict rules that must be followed if people wants to visit the Crimean peninsula. Traveling to Crimea is only allowed with a permission and via Ukrainian checkpoints. It is illegal to travel to Crimea via Russia.

The documents required for her to travel to Crimea were published in Ukrainian media, after which the Ukrainian State Border Guard Service stated that they had not issued the documents, raising questions about the legitimacy of the documents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz6aQLKyBHc

This was his 9-dimensional chess play all along. Not to exclude Ukraine from Nato or from European Union. But from European Song Contest!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Josef bugman posted:

Just as a quick thing, but I saw this posted elsewhere and wanted to ask folks here if there is any truth to it?

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1493939541710974982?s=20&t=NghImyNSf51Sl3CJYSxY9A

Sorry to drop it in, but I figure that other people here will know more than me just trying to google things willy nilly.

All this drama (according to Ukraine) is making their economy turn to poo poo. Evidence for that is hard to show, their currency has lost a portion of its value (we're talking .38 to USD to .36). I'm not aware of any hard numbers on the economic situation other than that. It doesn't take an economist to know that it is undoubtedly hurting tourism and foreign investment but at the same time, not like winter is the big season for trips to the Black Sea.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

War hysteria in Western media caused Western investors to pull out, and contributed to the economic damage that Ukraine is suffering. So there's definitely some truth that Western media sensationalism assisted in achieving Putin's objectives, if that's what he wanted all along. You can defend this by saying the Russian military operations were indistinguishable from a real prelude to invasion. But yeah, Western media coverage, as far as I'm aware, has not given sufficient attention to the possibility that this was/is an exercise in brinksmanship, rather than proof that Putin has completely lost it.

And sure, things aren't over yet. but there's a lesson there.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

I haven't seen any polling, so I can't say, but do keep in mind that only the younger generations are likely to engage in English-language media. Now, objectively, a lot of reporting is worth disdain for reasons partly related to the above complaint. You're probably quite familiar with bothsideism and overlove of authority figures from more domestic issues, but in case of Ukraine it's exacerbated by people w/o context parachuting in when it's in big news and making total fools of themselves, and then just repeating claims that would make anyone with a clue keel over in laughter.
Or, you know, like what happened yesterday, misquoting the Ukrainian president because they apparently didn't have anyone with even partial understanding of the language to check.

Those who are actually on Kyiv beats are usually way better, and Chris in particular is pretty good.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Big if true?

https://twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1493875669809442816

Exercises are scheduled to end in four days right?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

There’s growing popular disdain for western media, he’s absolutely on point there. Western media also is much more efficient at moving international investors than Russian morning special propagandists.

Not sure if the math on financial losses checks out, but currently Ukraine is probably eating more in economic damage than any sanctions imposed upon Russia thus far, in relative terms over similar time period.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 16, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ronya posted:

Big if true?

https://twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1493875669809442816

Exercises are scheduled to end in four days right?

So they're going to cross the Ukrainian border by then? Big indeed!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

the US has been acting much more assertively in NATO over the past decade or so and stoltenberg is very much Washington's man. i wouldn't read too much into it other than that.

Yeah, it's also helpful to remember that it was the then-NATO Secretary-General who promised that Ukraine and Georgia would join NATO someday in the first place - even while existing NATO member-states were already loudly shouting "no they won't!"

Incidentally, de Hoop Scheffer is now saying "don't blame me for this!"

quote:

Nato’s Ukraine pledge, given at a stormy summit in Bucharest, represented a messy consolation for supporters of Kyiv’s membership — led by then-US president George Bush — who were defeated in an attempt to get the alliance to agree on beginning the country’s formal admission procedure.

“In retrospect, when I look back at this now, for Nato a reconfirmation of the open-door policy would have been preferable . . . but that’s easy to say now,” said de Hoop Scheffer, a former Dutch foreign affairs minister.

“Nato’s in a bind because we’ve told Ukraine you can enter the house but you’re not allowed on the porch,” he continued. “Compromises are ugly . . . and Nato is living with that compromise ever since.”

quote:

“For the foreseeable and the unforeseeable future they’ll not become a Nato member. And I think the whole group around that table in Bucharest knew this,” he said. “It was already clear then that in the eyes of the opponents [of Ukraine’s membership] it was until hell freezes over. There was no time limit whatsoever.”

One wonders why he made the promise in the first place, if it was so clear that the alliance wouldn't be able to fulfill it even back then.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

OddObserver posted:

I haven't seen any polling, so I can't say, but do keep in mind that only the younger generations are likely to engage in English-language media. Now, objectively, a lot of reporting is worth disdain for reasons partly related to the above complaint. You're probably quite familiar with bothsideism and overlove of authority figures from more domestic issues, but in case of Ukraine it's exacerbated by people w/o context parachuting in when it's in big news and making total fools of themselves, and then just repeating claims that would make anyone with a clue keel over in laughter.
Or, you know, like what happened yesterday, misquoting the Ukrainian president because they apparently didn't have anyone with even partial understanding of the language to check.

Those who are actually on Kyiv beats are usually way better, and Chris in particular is pretty good.

Western media and in particular cable news were talking like an invasion was imminent two months ago when it wasn’t even remotely possible for Russia to be ready. American hawks have been creaming themselves for Russia to do an Iraq to the point it seems like they’re trying to will it into existence via op-eds to the point some of the dumber liberal hawk types are believing their own bullshit. Putin is reckless and ruthless but I don’t think he’s dumb enough to actually launch a real invasion, there’s basically no way Russia comes out ahead long term. Russia is far too weak and can’t afford to do an Iraq like we could.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Western media and in particular cable news were talking like an invasion was imminent two months ago when it wasn’t even remotely possible for Russia to be ready. American hawks have been creaming themselves for Russia to do an Iraq to the point it seems like they’re trying to will it into existence via op-eds to the point some of the dumber liberal hawk types are believing their own bullshit. Putin is reckless and ruthless but I don’t think he’s dumb enough to actually launch a real invasion, there’s basically no way Russia comes out ahead long term. Russia is far too weak and can’t afford to do an Iraq like we could.

They've had the forces in place for an attack since as early as November - the scale of what the could prosecute has only been steadily increasing.

The media is ghoulish and hysterical but for different reasons.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Putin is reckless and ruthless but I don’t think he’s dumb enough to actually launch a real invasion, there’s basically no way Russia comes out ahead long term. Russia is far too weak and can’t afford to do an Iraq like we could.

As I said to others, I sure hope you're right, but it's not a very comforting thought to rely on if one cares about Ukrainians. For me in particular it's iffy since I am aware of just how much racist contempt nationalist Russians[1] can have towards abilities of Ukrainians, and the ability of politicians to drink their own koolaid.
Like would you necessarily think in 2001 that Dick Chenney would be dumb enough to do an invasion w/o planning for the aftermath? After all he is also evil, not stupid.

The fact of the matter is the troops are there, the equipment is there, and only one man truly knows if they'll attack or not (if that man has even made up his mind!)

[1] and also Russian "liberals".

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I remember reading pretty much the same takes after Euromaidan, i.e. "Russia would never invade Ukraine. Are you insane? This is all just a huge misunderstanding that will surely clear up soon". Arguably, they didn't gain much by doing an invasion back then either. Crimea and the Donbas warlord states are a huge financial drain and the Russian economy suffered greatly from the aftermath. And it still happened.

And I don't think it's beyond Russia's ability to occupy and pacify the land bridge to Crimea. Nobody forces them to go all the way to Kyiv.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Also people I think overestimate the difficulty of potential occupation since they forget that there are a lot of cops in Ukraine, and plenty would be happy to collaborate. ACAB very much applies.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

https://mobile.twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1493983509635080194
RIP that pavement

Also RIP Ukraine ig

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OddObserver posted:

Also people I think overestimate the difficulty of potential occupation since they forget that there are a lot of cops in Ukraine, and plenty would be happy to collaborate. ACAB very much applies.
Yeah, wasn't a large part of the reason the occupation of Iraq was such a mess that America completely toppled the existing power structure of Iraq? As opposed to just replacing the top and letting the Iraqi institutions keep working. If all you're looking for is compliance, you can probably get a lot more of the "right" locals on your side.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Russia has lingual and cultural similarities to Ukraine that America did not have with Iraq and may have already infiltrated Ukraine institutions extensively. I bet that Russia's could occupy Ukraine and snuff out any resistance and wouldnt suffer a horrible Iraq-style insurgency.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

there's no good guy here, just competing imperial interests and a really awkwardly placed and unstable ukraine in the middle, being fought over both by foreign powers and its own incredibly venal upper class. i have a fair amount of sympathy for zelenskij, who's got a really bad hand, but that's about it.

Yeah, he's played that terrible hand about as well as anyone could - and he's going to be rewarded very poorly for it:

https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1493965620135800834

OctaMurk posted:

Russia has lingual and cultural similarities to Ukraine that America did not have with Iraq and may have already infiltrated Ukraine institutions extensively. I bet that Russia's could occupy Ukraine and snuff out any resistance and wouldnt suffer a horrible Iraq-style insurgency.

I think the insurgency might not be as widespread, but it would be considerably better-funded and better-armed, thanks to the U.S., than the Iraqi one was.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 16, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Zelenskyi promised to be a one-term president, so there's at least one election promise he's likely to keep.

I don't think Poroshenko's ES attracted any Zelenskyi voters, though. You can see that other nationalist-adjacent parties have lost a lot of support, as Poroshenko managed to galvanise his audience amidst the criminal investigation against him. Meanwhile pro-Russian-adjacent and centrist politicians like Muraev, Razumkov, and Medvedchuk were the ones to profit from loss of confidence in Zelenskyi. A notable exception is Sharyi, and I imagine it has something to do with his and Murayev's weird beef.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
After Russia is pushed out of Eastern Ukraine, what should be done so that area feels more unity to greater ukraine instead of russia?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Mr Hootington posted:

After Russia is pushed out of Eastern Ukraine, what should be done so that area feels more unity to greater ukraine instead of russia?

Ethnic cleansing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ethnic cleansing.

You think the ethnic Russians should be relocated or depopulated?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Raise pensions.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Rebuilding of infrastructure, proper political representation in the region, easing off on language laws, repatriation program for refugees and amnesty for most rebels.
If Poroshenko comes back to power you can kiss most of it goodbye because he would go head first into the swamp and do insane poo poo of throwing meat to his base.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Mr Hootington posted:

You think the ethnic Russians should be relocated or depopulated?

Oh, sorry, I read that as what would happen in the hypothetical Ukraine regained control of the separatist regions.

As for what should happen, Ukraine would just have to somehow become a wealthier country than its neighbors rather than the economic embarrassment it is now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Rebuilding of infrastructure, proper political representation in the region, easing off on language laws, repatriation program for refugees and amnesty for most rebels.
If Poroshenko comes back to power you can kiss most of it goodbye because he would go head first into the swamp and do insane poo poo of throwing meat to his base.

So no realistic solutions to the situation beyond letting it breakaway.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 16, 2022

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I don't know if the Daily Beast is a reputable source, but one of their correspondents is saying that Wagner mercenaries who have regularly been killing civilians in Central African Republic are being withdrawn from that country.

https://twitter.com/PhilipObaji/status/1493984585989902342

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

I don't know if the Daily Beast is a reputable source, but one of their correspondents is saying that Wagner mercenaries who have regularly been killing civilians in Central African Republic are being withdrawn from that country.

Any news on what's going on with Putin's personal biker gang?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wagner's already been in Ukraine before. So they'd be returning.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

So no realistic solutions to the situation beyond letting it breakaway.

Once Russian advisors/leaders pack up and the cashflow stops it would go back into Ukraine near-instantly because it is not really a self-sustainable region and turning into permanent hellhole like Transnistria is not a fate that people still left there would prefer.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

From what i heard Its the opposite. Veterans refuse to get involved with this poo poo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ethnic cleansing.

I am going to cleanse your posting ability, if you try to make another edgy joke involving ethnic cleansing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

There's been a bunch of reports of wealthy businessmen leaving the Ukraine for fear of invasion which makes sense because nobody wants to do business in a state about to rolled by tanks. All these expectations of war can only have a negative effect on the economy. Helpfully, the US is proposing that the Ukrainian government take out some loans to fix it.