Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
40$ is pretty cheap if you learned your lesson to never buy games again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well, if Games Workshop and Warhammer have anything to teach here, it's that putting out 1,000 licensed games a year is bound to make a great one somewhere, sometime, by the law of monkeys on typewriters if nothing else. I await an excellent Robotech game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Viper915 posted:

Talk to me about Radlands. My FLGS just got copies in, and I'm curious about the game. This completely flew under my radar, and the reviews I can find are hard to parse between multiple editions. SVWAG was lukewarm about it, suggesting something like rift force was a better buy. The theme is slightly more interesting to me than generic MTG-style fantasy, but does this have legs or is it a flash in the pan?

Aside from adding "it has no legs, don't buy it" to those who have said so, Roxley said in the FAQ to the KS campaign that they had no plans to expand it -- which implies that it was not built with expansion in mind. So even though they acknowleged there that they could expand it, there is (for me) added mistrust about the quality of such an expansion they didn't account for in the design.

Gorgeous product, fantastic components, Quite Bland game.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Llyranor posted:

40$ is pretty cheap if you learned your lesson to never buy games again.

No such luck, just backed Mind MGMT and Verdant. It's me I'm the sucker.

At least orbital is new enough and well-reviewed enough that I could probs flick it off for what I paid for it.
Then it's some other suckers problem

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have yet to be burned by a Kickstarter game, and I backed almost 25 projects in the past two years.

I attribute this success to impeccable judgment and gaming taste.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

PRADA SLUT posted:

I attribute this success to impeccable judgment and gaming taste.

Please stop trying to wind up the board game thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

potatocubed posted:

Please stop trying to wind up the board game thread.

I also haven't been burned on a boardgame Kickstarter, but unlike Prada I'm not a dick.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
you can't be burned by a game that doesn't get played :)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Well I did I back Darkest Dungeon so I may need to edit that post in a few months.

Though, it seems like development is.. good?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I was going to make a comment about how I haven't been burned, but then I realized that only 20% of my Kickstarter boardgames have been delivered, so I don't really know.

1. Blood on the Clocktower
  2. Oath
  3. Stationfall
  4. Shikoku 1889
  5. MIND MGMT

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I’ve had a great track record of great to milquetoast MWEs - I feel like I’m gonna be burned by either 1860 or 89 somehow.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I was burned on the steamforged dark souls game but at least it was an okay beer and pretzels game

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I haven’t been too burned on kickstarters because I learned early on that you have a narrow window to immediately flip anything for your pledge amount minus shipping. Sometimes even more than your pledge if FOMO was high. I made a few bucks on a full D-Day Dice pledge because of that.

Probably the worst one was 2 Rooms and a Boom because like everyone backed it off of SUSD hype and I couldn’t sell it. I think I still got $10 for it at gencon though.

Gosh kickstarter sucks

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I'm still waiting on Medeira COLLECTOR'S EDITION™ that's in production hell but beyond that I've had flawless victories with boardgame KS/crowd funding. But now I've gone done cursed it so here we go.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I brought into the Planet Apocalypse expansion kickstarter and I very much regret that. I don't even have the base game anymore

Also got Hel and Primal that could be future regrets but eh whatever

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The fake boardgames created by GPT-3 algorithms are really entertaining

https://www.gwern.net/GPT-3-nonfiction#board-games

quote:

At this year’s Spiel des Jahres, the 2020 board game award was given to a revolutionary new board game which has invented an entire new genre to itself. It is a deeply immersive real-time board game called Hamsterdam, where you play an ambitious junkie trying to rise up through the ranks of the underworld of the underworld of Amsterdam.

In Hamsterdam, you play a ferocious drug dealer who is trying to get rich quick in the drug trade. Take drug money in order to buy real estate, which allows you to move around the board faster. Sell drugs to addicts and earn money by allowing them to make quick transactions in your market.

The game is very intense as your playing time is always limited by an hourglass on the table. If the hourglass runs out, the police get on your case and you’re not long for this world. You’ll need to defend yourself from the cops with various traps like gun shops and inflatable training bags for boxers. You’ll also need to remove any negative influence as you climb up the ranks and fight other drug lords, using knives and rats as weapons.

“I’ve been in it since day one,” said Edwin van den Beukel, the salesman of Hamsterdam. “It’s very violent and that’s why it’s a success. There’s something special about the smell of drugs. You know it when you’ve been in the game for a while. For the only thing that counts in Hamsterdam is winning. Anything goes as long as you’re the last man standing.”

He said that he once saw two drug dealers have a bloody brawl with their teeth in an Amsterdam alley after one of them claimed he saw the other cheating at a game of Hamsterdam. One of the dealers later died of his injuries.....

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also, check out:
The Doctor Who Game: The Game Where You Play Doctor Who
What the World’s Most Successful Fake Town Feels Like
I’m a Pokemon…Am I a Pokemon?
The Worst Game Ever Made
Erotic Fan Fiction Featuring Nicolas Cage

Goldmansack
Sep 3, 2004

I tend to be very selective with my KS and haven’t yet been completely burned , although I have had a few that took WAAAAAAAY longer than anticipated to deliver. A short list of minor horror stories include:

Siege the Citadel being delivered in 2021 (KS was in 2016 and scheduled for 2017)

Kicking Bios: Genesis before I knew how large of a piece of poo poo Eklund is (sold at GenCon in 2019 for about my KS investment)

Still waiting on Sentinels of Earth-Prime from 2017 (lol don’t even really think I’ll play it)

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I've only backed a few things on KS, and have yet to be burnt BUT have yet to have any that I have backed get to or pass their markers unreasonably. I did buy someone's Sine Tempore all in pledge for 300NZD (800NZD if I'd gotten it from KS) and then sold it for 500 cause it was poo poo so that was a win.
So far i've only backed personally:
Frosthaven
Everdell Complete Collection& Big Box
Mind MGMT
Beast
Viscounts of the West Kingdom (all in for the 3 games in the series)

I did do a 1 dollar pledge for FInal Girl and the board game tables playmat but have yet to decide on that. And I'm in a group buy for Verdant & Cascadia.
I don't think any of these are particularly dodgy yet so I'm happy. I learnt second hand on that Sine Tempore to avoid games that are basically all expensive minis though, so that was a win.

In other BG news, finally got around to trying out Terraforming Mars, having only come into contact with Ares Expedition at a local game club. It was a 3 player game and I am... not sure which I prefer. I really liked how much easier Ares was to learn and grok, and it was a certainly shorter game but TM felt like there was more choice in what I could do. It was VERY long though and AP in one person I could imagine would make that length go wayyyyy up.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Control Volume posted:

The Doctor Who Game: The Game Where You Play Doctor Who

My idea of a best game that will never exist is a Dr.Who licensed tragedy-looper reboot where you're trapped in a time loop trying to solve it before the mastermind player fences you + the other players in for good.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

golden bubble posted:

The fake boardgames created by GPT-3 algorithms are really entertaining

https://www.gwern.net/GPT-3-nonfiction#board-games

That’s literally the plot of The Wire season 3 (4?)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

My only bad Kickstarter was Living Planet, and I mostly don’t like it for trying to be something other than “Archipelago in Space”

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Ohhh I thought we were posting about kickstarters that went bad because of fulfillment or lies or Darth Vader style "altering of agreements".

I've backed plenty of poo poo I wasn't thrilled with ultimately and it is not a coincidence that most of these are MWE. My latest is Arkwright the Card Game, which I didn't hate but I was less than impressed with. The production quality on it was also so-so and it's the first time I've ever cracked a KS game and been dealing with missing pieces and improperly cut boards.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I have a few vague Kickstarter regrets. I probably wouldn't buy Catacombs again given that it's more fiddly to set up then I'd like from that sort of game and Import/Export is difficult to get to the table and has all the Jordan Draper drama that goes along with it.

Pax Pamir, Root and Wavelength more than make up for their shortcomings though. The rest are games I'm happy to own but don't feel like vital additions to my collection yet. Maybe some can force their way in though since I do really like March of the Ants and Smartphone Inc but they need more plays first.

MIND MGMT might lure me back to Kickstarter because it looks very cool, but it's also ridiculously expensive (easily over £100 in the end) so I'll probably just wait and see if I can pick it up for half of that at retail.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It’s already out retail

Might not be in stock anymore because of the SUSD curse

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
It has been out of stock in the UK for ages, not just since the SUSD review. When I say "wait for retail" I mean wait for it to be restocked. I assume that will be done alongside this Kickstarter reprint.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Only thing I ever backed was the PnP version of Villages and Quests of Valeria + expansions. Pretty neat games!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Bad Kickstarters, huh? Guess who backed the Divinity Original Sin board game two years ago, which has now changed beyond all recognition, including the designer being fired and slapped with an NDA, and still hasn't got any indication of ever being finished?

Also I can't get a refund because I no longer have the credit card I paid with. Awesome stuff!

Apparently they'll refund to a PayPal account with the same address that you backed with, but several people have said that they requested this and their pledge was cancelled but no money showed up.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I specifically keep a ks lemon on my shelf as a reminder not to get too committed about any particular project on there. I've learned since then and haven't backed anything I've seriously regretted. only once did someone flat out screw me on something and I've learned a lot since then on spotting red flags

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The thing about Kickstarter is mostly just people not thinking of it like a preorder. You're funding a project that might fail or just not turn out his how you would have hoped. There's definitely good Kickstarter games but people are right to be skeptical of them because they just don't exist yet.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i've only backed two bad kickstarters, right at the beginning of the the ttrpg presence on the platform: pirate world and Project: Dark (which still gets updates and a perfect mix of rabidly angry and sycophantic replies)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Through kickstarter I have discovered some creators whose work gels with me so much that anything they make is an instant purchase/pledge/preorder for me.

Then again I was also flat out lied to on another project & they for all intents and purposes stole my pledge with afaict zero repercussions.

So I guess it's impossible to say whether KS as a whole is good or not :v:

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Interested in both of those sentences and what they relate to tbh.
I've certainly seen a lot of horrorstories and train wrecks in slowmotion so I try to be cautious. There are some things that I very nearly click all in on before taking a breather and thinking on it more (Too Many Bones, Marvel Zombies etc). My go-to tends to be back for a dollar and see how it all shakes out in the following weeks/months of pledge manager to get a feel for how things are going

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Back for a buck is my M.O. I will back a huge project for a buck just to ride the wave with no intention of buying, just to get updates pushed to my email and be informed.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Oh wait I was burned on a kickstarter where the lead writer of an RPG supplement got in a car crash and was in a coma for a few months, then was saddled with so much medical debt that they were homeless, and then later passed away.

And every update there were still assholes asking for the loving thing/refund of their $20 pledge in the comments. America!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Quote-Unquote posted:

Bad Kickstarters, huh? Guess who backed the Divinity Original Sin board game two years ago, which has now changed beyond all recognition, including the designer being fired and slapped with an NDA, and still hasn't got any indication of ever being finished?

Also I can't get a refund because I no longer have the credit card I paid with. Awesome stuff!

Apparently they'll refund to a PayPal account with the same address that you backed with, but several people have said that they requested this and their pledge was cancelled but no money showed up.

I had no idea this was such a disaster. I actually saw the playtest version of it in person with the original designer at a local con before everything went crazy so this was way back either before the KS or right after it launched? For me a licensed KS is an immediate red flag.

If you know more about what's going on I'd love to see a write-up.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

FulsomFrank posted:

I had no idea this was such a disaster. I actually saw the playtest version of it in person with the original designer at a local con before everything went crazy so this was way back either before the KS or right after it launched? For me a licensed KS is an immediate red flag.

If you know more about what's going on I'd love to see a write-up.

From what i understand, Larian felt the original game was too complex and they wanted something simpler that would appeal to more people. Not sure how true this is, when you consider their video games.

But anyway, the original designer has been slapped with an NDA so there are only rumours.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Thinking on it I've only backed Kickstarters from sources that had a proven track record fulfilling their goal: I backed several projects by one of my favorite bands where the goal was "put out an album like we've done a half dozen times before but this time we add some special poo poo" , Frosthaven which is obviously a follow up to a previously wildly successful campaign that has evolved into a successful business, and more recently an a 4th art book in a series where 3 previous ones had successfully been fulfilled. Previously I would be terrified to back someone's first video game or whatever, but even a board game can have a ton of considerations that people don't realize when they go from "creating mockups in my basement and playing with my friends" to "printing 10,000 copies and managing shipping delays and whoops, one of the vendors we hired to do one specific thing just closed up shop and we don't know the business well enough to navigate how to fix this".

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

My only bad kickstarter was from a goon. She was selling tarot cards with neat art. I actually missed the kickstarter and got in on indiegogo just afterwards but it looks like the project got ghosted on all fronts, aside from a message from one of the artists saying they couldn't reach the creator either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I backed the Robocop statue for Detroit, and while the statue is finished, it still hasn’t found a home.

Apart from that it was just gloomhaven and frosthaven.

Don’t kickstart board games.