Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Is there any man in any branch of the entertainment world who isn't a horrible monster?

Weird Al.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Mister Kingdom posted:

Is there any man in any branch of the entertainment world who isn't a horrible monster?

I don't think they've found any horrorshows in Danny DeVito's past yet.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

The United States posted:

Getting all these old british dudes with beards who think they are magicians and wrote comics at some point confused

I'm trying to think of a British comic writer who I'd actually be surprised to find out was a wizard and I'm drawing a blank.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

He's done some cringey stuff but is genuine about it and people are forgiving.

The most recent thing was using "spastic" in a derogatory way in one of his songs. Was sincere in his apology and everyone moved on. Amazing what happens when you don't double down on poo poo and whine about cancel culture.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MariusLecter posted:

The most recent thing was using "spastic" in a derogatory way in one of his songs. Was sincere in his apology and everyone moved on. Amazing what happens when you don't double down on poo poo and whine about cancel culture.

It's like people who accuse you of saying something ignorant are satisfied when you've learned something. I don't get it!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I had a friend who was part of Warren Ellis's little circle of young women he would chat to on the internet and it gave me bad vibes even at that remove. Ugh.

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.

MariusLecter posted:

Give Pretty Fly for a Rabbi a listen. Maybe he apologized for it or got someone's blessing or some poo poo, but it's a rough listen.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yes there are actually lots especially when you get away from the British

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

thedangergroove posted:

Give Pretty Fly for a Rabbi a listen. Maybe he apologized for it or got someone's blessing or some poo poo, but it's a rough listen.

Much of that album ("Running With Scissors") is a bit oof. It was the album where he changed his appearance to be less goofy looking and I do believe there was some push to make him a bit edgier because its noticeably worse on it than the rest of his old stuff. Still, most of it can just be attributed to it being a different time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don’t really see an issue with Pretty Fly for a Rabbi. Growing up that was always the favorite of other Jewish kids. I assumed Al was one himself for a long time. There are definitely more offensive songs on RWS.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A quick search tells me it's "Minotaur Entertainment" now and looking at their photos, it's all funkpops.

I remember the three story store on Bourke Street. gently caress me that was awesome. Can't even find pictures of it now :(

Books in the basement, memorabilia and cards on the ground floor and comics and warhams upstairs. Everything a nerd needed.

A bit late, but for what it's worth while they have downsized a bit thanks to the pandemic, it's still a real good store with most everything you'd want from them. Ground floor has a lot of the 'pop culture' and anime/manga stuff, downstairs are all the comics and sci-fi/fantasy novels. I wouldn't say it's all Funko Pops, although naturally that's a display that grabs a lot of people. Personally I've found they have a pretty nice collection of more unusual gunpla than you'll find at Metro Hobbies, which is fun. I haven't seen them selling Warhammer and the like, but that might just be because I haven't looked.

I hope they do, though, because the pandemic kinda blew a lot of the physical gaming scene in Melbourne to bits. Both Goodgames stores closed up, which I know basically killed the Yu-Gi-Oh scene. I dunno Warhammer, but I can't imagine it's hanging in super well.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 06:45 on Feb 12, 2022

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can understand mixing up Moore and Grant Morrison since they both have that similar fourth wall introspective approach but Miller is so distinct from Moore.
This is hilarious since Moore hates Grant Morrison

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cleretic posted:

I dunno Warhammer, but I can't imagine it's hanging in super well.

The Hams aren't playing, but they're busily painting new armies. Games Workshop is making money with both hands because of pandemic-inspired hobby spending, new, returning, and current collectors are all spending mad cash. Scale models, gunpla, historical wargaming, and the like are all doing real well in mail order. We're going to have a geek renaissance when this poo poo is over.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Currently GW stock is valued at a higher rate than stock in British Gas. Which is bananas.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Cleretic posted:

A bit late, but for what it's worth while they have downsized a bit thanks to the pandemic, it's still a real good store with most everything you'd want from them. Ground floor has a lot of the 'pop culture' and anime/manga stuff, downstairs are all the comics and sci-fi/fantasy novels. I wouldn't say it's all Funko Pops, although naturally that's a display that grabs a lot of people. Personally I've found they have a pretty nice collection of more unusual gunpla than you'll find at Metro Hobbies, which is fun. I haven't seen them selling Warhammer and the like, but that might just be because I haven't looked.

I hope they do, though, because the pandemic kinda blew a lot of the physical gaming scene in Melbourne to bits. Both Goodgames stores closed up, which I know basically killed the Yu-Gi-Oh scene. I dunno Warhammer, but I can't imagine it's hanging in super well.

I'll have to have a look at the gunpla if I ever make it back across the Bass Strait. I like to make every couple years or so.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Elissimpark posted:

I'm trying to think of a British comic writer who I'd actually be surprised to find out was a wizard and I'm drawing a blank.

Mark Millar.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

mllaneza posted:

The Hams aren't playing, but they're busily painting new armies. Games Workshop is making money with both hands because of pandemic-inspired hobby spending, new, returning, and current collectors are all spending mad cash. Scale models, gunpla, historical wargaming, and the like are all doing real well in mail order. We're going to have a geek renaissance when this poo poo is over.

Oh yeah, I'm not talking generally how these companies are doing, I know they're flying pretty well. (I should know, over the pandemic I got into both Yu-Gi-Oh and gunpla). I was talking about local play spaces, specifically in Melbourne. A bunch of the central locations shut down, which is a real killer for physical games like TCGs. Doesn't matter how rad your deck is if there's nowhere to play it.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Feb 12, 2022

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

I've read enough of his stuff that I believe he must be a wizard to keep getting published and also have that same drek turned into multiple movies.

Cleretic posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not talking generally how these companies are doing, I know they're flying pretty well. (I should know, over the pandemic I got into both Yu-Gi-Oh and gunpla). I was talking about local play spaces, specifically in Melbourne. A bunch of the central locations shut down, which is a real killer for physical games like TCGs. Doesn't matter how rad your deck is if there's nowhere to play it.

I know a lot of M:tG players have moved to online play or switched to other online TCGs because recreating their physical M:tG collection online would be spending money twice for the same stuff.

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 09:03 on Feb 12, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jeff Loeb apparently lost his poo poo after his son died and everything he wrote turned into horrible edge that ended with everyone dying horribly, like the Ultimate Universe.

Woolie Wool posted:

Spot, the three-headed guardian of hell.

Hades has a dog called Spot, yes.

mllaneza posted:

GW had a change of CEO a while back and started actually doing stuff like market research, advancing the storyline, telling the Nazis to gently caress off and making new models that weren't just 'bigger, better Space Marines' and suddenly they can't keep the models on shelves.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Loomer posted:

I don't think they've found any horrorshows in Danny DeVito's past yet.

On the How Did this Get Made? episode about the film Deck the Halls, Andrea Savage talks about DeVito groping her.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

This is hilarious since Moore hates Grant Morrison

The way Morrison trolls Moore is also hilarious:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

GW had a change of CEO a while back and started actually doing stuff like market research, advancing the storyline, telling the Nazis to gently caress off and making new models that weren't just 'bigger, better Space Marines' and suddenly they can't keep the models on shelves.

On the flip side, they decided to pursue a "zero tolerance" approach to fan works using their art and this led to the end of stuff like If The Emperor Had A Text To Speech Device :(

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

oldpainless posted:

Yes there are actually lots especially when you get away from the British

Now that I think about it, I don't recall hearing anything bad about the guy in my avatar - Jeff Lynne of ELO.

Cue the horrible stories about Jeff Lynne...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AceOfFlames posted:

On the flip side, they decided to pursue a "zero tolerance" approach to fan works using their art and this led to the end of stuff like If The Emperor Had A Text To Speech Device :(

Yeah, unfortunately that's a new flavour of bullshit and overreaction from finally paying attention to things, especially since their own attempts at supplementary media have been mostly poo poo.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Mister Kingdom posted:

Joke answer: Terry Pratchett.

Real answer: Neil Gaiman, probably?

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

That channel hadn't released a video in months before GW announced their new policy. They also did not contact him to stop, demonetize, or de-platform him in any way.
Dude was just tired of doing it and used GW as an excuse to get even more money from nerds as they upped their Patreon donations in support.
The only videos that have actually been taken down or demonetized are ones by people that now make stuff for the Warhammer streaming service, or were skirting too close to portraying themselves as official works and not fan works.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dave Syndrome posted:

Real answer: Neil Gaiman, probably?

Both Neil and Warren Ellis used to brag about the contests they would have about sleeping with their fans.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Neil Gaiman married Amanda Palmer which if nothing else is a massive own goal

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Preem Palver posted:

That channel hadn't released a video in months before GW announced their new policy. They also did not contact him to stop, demonetize, or de-platform him in any way.
Dude was just tired of doing it and used GW as an excuse to get even more money from nerds as they upped their Patreon donations in support.
The only videos that have actually been taken down or demonetized are ones by people that now make stuff for the Warhammer streaming service, or were skirting too close to portraying themselves as official works and not fan works.

Hell, the only other fan animator I can think of that went down was Sodaz. And that wasn't due to GW but due to fans bullying him out for "selling out."

I think the TTS team had a lot of mixed feelings about their work, and I can see the fan policy spooking them enough to stop wrestling with those feelings and pull out. But frankly, if they weren't hit with the C+D already, there's no chance they would've been. They were way too notorious of a part of the fanbase to not be the first shutdown queued up. I think they would've been able to continue with next to no problems if they truly wanted.

But they were grown adults with families and bigger things to do trapped by their youthful passions and a shitton of mission creep. Maybe if they plotted things a bit more cautiously, they could've guided it to an elegant end with a few tactically written episodes. Instead, it felt like each episode got longer and added more hanging plot elements, not less.

Honestly, they remind me of TeamFourStar in a lot of ways. A goofy joke project blew up due to genuine passion, getting bigger and bigger until it collapsed under its own weight. At some point you have to ask how worth it continuing is when you're putting increasing effort into something you can never truly own, and could be taken away from you without notice.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Alaois posted:

Neil Gaiman married Amanda Palmer which if nothing else is a massive own goal

Neil Gaiman left his wife for a fan that mailed him nude photos and seemed genuinely shocked it did not work out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Can't imagine why a company with official designs like this would take an extremely aggressive approach to fan works after 2016.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 00:37 on Feb 13, 2022

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Rascar Capac posted:

On the How Did this Get Made? episode about the film Deck the Halls, Andrea Savage talks about DeVito groping her.

Oh drat

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just wanted him to be pure...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Bee posted:

Hell, the only other fan animator I can think of that went down was Sodaz. And that wasn't due to GW but due to fans bullying him out for "selling out."

I still see fan animations on youtube pretty often. And I'm pretty sure the guy who made Astartes didn't have any problems from GW. Except possibly their envy that a fan made something better than anything the company had ever put out.

Excuse me, going to rewatch it for the millionth time now.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Traxus IV posted:

Does the Dilbert guy count?

Scott Adams has always been crazy, there just used to be an editor or time delay between you and his glass-smooth brain.

ETA context: my favorite example is basically the back quarter of Dilbert Future. If you haven't read it, and can stand the Adamsian writing style, do so, because it starts with "The theory of evolution will be debunked in our lifetime, possibly by disproving the concept of linear time" and gets dumber from there. Dude's always been certain he's the smartest person in the room because he could install Windows 95 without help.

Neito has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Feb 15, 2022

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Neito posted:

Scott Adams has always been crazy, there just used to be an editor or time delay between you and his glass-smooth brain.

ETA context: my favorite example is basically the back quarter of Dilbert Future. If you haven't read it, and can stand the Adamsian writing style, do so, because it starts with "The theory of evolution will be debunked in our lifetime, possibly by disproving the concept of linear time" and gets dumber from there. Dude's always been certain he's the smartest person in the room because he could install Windows 95 without help.
I read two of his Dilbert prose books back in the 90s and I still remember a chapter where he set out to disprove gravity. Or, I guess, present an alternate theory that would explain everything just as well and it was hilariously obvious that he didn't understand anything about gravity beyond 'things fall down'.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

NorgLyle posted:

I read two of his Dilbert prose books back in the 90s and I still remember a chapter where he set out to disprove gravity. Or, I guess, present an alternate theory that would explain everything just as well and it was hilariously obvious that he didn't understand anything about gravity beyond 'things fall down'.

No, everything is just doubling in size every second. It makes sense.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

NorgLyle posted:

That was also Dilbert Future. He also basically was Hocking the Secret in the late 90s and JAQs about maybe willing his cancer to not be cancer.

Eta: iirc he even pulls the "you can't prove I didn't" about the later. Dude has been exactly this level of bullshit for like 30 years.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Man I'm glad Neal Adams is merely the kind of crazy where he doesn't believe in plate tectonics but is otherwise not a huge weird rear end in a top hat as far as I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Neito posted:

That was also Dilbert Future. He also basically was Hocking the Secret in the late 90s and JAQs about maybe willing his cancer to not be cancer.

Eta: iirc he even pulls the "you can't prove I didn't" about the later. Dude has been exactly this level of bullshit for like 30 years.

Is this like a FAQ about jelqing? Asking for a friend.