Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
OPera remains so cute in its shittiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It really is a shame that it appears a company can't survive in the tech world in 2022 without being exceptionally lovely.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Crain posted:

https://twitter.com/kane/status/1493305921614667777?s=20&t=rtiNySIQWYB-MYACDoH1Mg

What the ever loving gently caress is this performative bullshit?

Seeing the picture of the little device installed and then reading everything in the tweet up until purchasing carbon offsets, I fully thought it was leading to him saying something about he used that to bypass some computer poo poo that drastically improved fuel efficiency or something.

This is still pretty terrible.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Tuxedo Gin posted:

He essentially gave himself an 18 cent per gallon gas tax that goes towards carbon poo poo. I'd rather more tech people did that than the usual stupid poo poo they do with their money.

If it actually did anything. Other than throwing money away, carbon offsets are pretty universally a scam used by corporations to greenwash themselves. The vast majority of those "credits" are laundered through various companies and stem from people "promising" to plant trees. Assuming they even bother to plant the trees, they're still useless because they are just never going to catch up to the rate of emission we're at. Because, shocker, rapidly pumping a pollutant into the atmosphere is not going to be fixed by a very slow acting natural process. Strictly speaking, we already have "enough" trees in the world to account for capturing the carbon that is pumped out (at least at the levels that governments and industry admit to) and surprise surprise, we're still seeing global warming.

It's a loving scam and plugging a GPIO board with a grease monkey script to buy "credits" on your lovely old Jeep is nothing more than a techy, masterbatory fantasy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Carbon credits are great. I can buy an existing forest and pretend I'm carbon neutral because now existing de-carboning infrastructure is enclosed by my company. And then every year I get to reclaim the same forest when I recommit my promise not to clear-cut it down.
Well, at least until we have a bad year and I need the lumber to bolster profits so the line can go up.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Crain posted:

It's a loving scam and plugging a GPIO board with a grease monkey script to buy "credits" on your lovely old Jeep is nothing more than a techy, masterbatory fantasy.

Sure. But he's doing it to himself. That's still better than most tech poo poo where they attempt to inflict their tech cancer on the world. This is just a nerd with a dumb Raspberry Pi project.

Tuxedo Gin fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 15, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Climate town did a good video on this if people don't know how much of a scam carbon offsets are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIezuL_doYw

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HootTheOwl posted:

Carbon credits are great. I can buy an existing forest and pretend I'm carbon neutral because now existing de-carboning infrastructure is enclosed by my company. And then every year I get to reclaim the same forest when I recommit my promise not to clear-cut it down.
Well, at least until we have a bad year and I need the lumber to bolster profits so the line can go up.

If you never cut the forest then the trees will die and rot, releasing that carbon into atmosphere. So cutting it means being even more carbon neutral! :pseudo:

//sidenote: this is a big point of contest in EU right now, when national governments, forest industry, conservationists and everyone have their own ways of calculating what kind of forest economy model would be optimal. It doesn't help that some countries have practically zero wild forests left and some have lots and lots of them, but are also more reliant on forest industry. Protecting forests is the best choice for eco diversity, but on the other hand favouring the use of timber in house building would store that carbon for long & reduce the use of concrete. Then there's different ways of cutting forest, some of which are more efficient but again worse for diversity.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Some carbon offsetting is worthwhile/useful, but I doubt that project with a fancy API call is one of them.

Also, the majority of CO2 emissions are absorbed into the oceans, not trees. More trees still helps, but there's a vast difference between protected natural woodland and planting a bunch of lumber for harvesting.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

so if i'm reading this thread correctly, all browsers are now bad?

Vivaldi serves me well, and has stated that they won’t support crypto bullshit.

If you used opera in the past you will feel at home.

https://vivaldi.com/

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Crain posted:

I just pay a guy in Glasgow to screen shot various websites I sent to him via Western Union, print them out, and ship them to me via air mail so I can read them a few days later. Then to dispose of the pages I no longer need I toss them in three different Wendy's dumpsters.

rms alt detected.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Some carbon offsetting is worthwhile/useful, but I doubt that project with a fancy API call is one of them.

Also, the majority of CO2 emissions are absorbed into the oceans, not trees. More trees still helps, but there's a vast difference between protected natural woodland and planting a bunch of lumber for harvesting.

BRB starting a carbon offset company that partners with a saltwater pool installer that promises to plant oceans

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The day has finally come

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7063966896022146351

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Time to see just what the limits of that chat program are. Can I sit there just adding more things to the order till the AI over flows and my total goes to -1.175494351 E - 38 and I bankrupt the company?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
that is way slower than a person taking orders and i wonder how it would deal with higher levels of background noise

natural language processing and voice chat are going to be what replaces restaurant order takers but we are nowhere near that point yet

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That was kind of impressive that it picked up the right things from what he was saying, but maybe it is easier if you are only looking to detect and count a handful of key phrases instead of trying to transcribe arbitrary stuff.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Using a touchscreen would be faster and easier.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The 3G network shutdown will impact more than just phones

With AT&T's 3G network shutting down next week, and other carriers following suit later this year, a range of products require updates to continue working, including some home alarm systems, medical devices such as fall detectors, and in-car crash notification and roadside assistance systems such as General Motors' OnStar.

Just as many mobile carriers have urged customers to swap their older 3G iPhones, Android phones, e-readers and other handheld devices for newer models ahead of the shutdown, other businesses are urging customers to upgrade or replace some of the everyday products and services in their homes and cars before they drop connectivity.
If left unaddressed, the stakes could be high in certain cases. Millions of cars, for example, may no longer have the ability to contact first responders after a collision or receive updates such as location or traffic alerts for built-in GPS systems. Some vehicles, including Chevrolet, Buick and Cadillac, have software upgrades for drivers to connect their systems to a 4G network, but other models will reportedly lose this feature for good.

"A few million connected devices in the smart home space still need to be replaced, including my meter for my solar panels," said Roger Entner, analyst and founder of Recon Analytics. "Some companies started reaching out to their customers over the past 2 years informing them that service would soon shut off, but as of 6 months ago, many products still haven't gotten around to replacing them yet."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/15/tech/3g-network-shut-down/index.html

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Carbon offsets in principle are great, it's just that the regulations need to be written with recognition that they will be abused if possible. Currently there are so many loopholes that their impact is greatly diminished. For example one of the reasons biomass is so popular in Europe is that it is counted as carbon-free since the timber is harvested outside the EU. This is plainly an abuse. The laws should be written to encourage and reward people for planting and protecting forests, not buy them and cut them down.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kaal posted:

Carbon offsets in principle are great, it's just that the regulations need to be written with recognition that they will be abused if possible. Currently there are so many loopholes that their impact is greatly diminished. For example one of the reasons biomass is so popular in Europe is that it is counted as carbon-free since the timber is harvested outside the EU. This is plainly an abuse. The laws should be written to encourage and reward people for planting and protecting forests, not buy them and cut them down.

This will never happen, because that's the entire point.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Electric_Genie/status/1493685580328230918

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

BiggerBoat posted:

Remember Movie Pass? It's BACK!

https://twitter.com/CreldBrumple/status/1491881486190006281?s=20&t=BJNVPf3RrARI9oqgvwJAiA

https://fortune.com/2013/04/30/sony-patent-is-hilarious-terrifying/

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

that is way slower than a person taking orders and i wonder how it would deal with higher levels of background noise

natural language processing and voice chat are going to be what replaces restaurant order takers but we are nowhere near that point yet

I suspect the downfall will be foreign accents, and probably also correcting mistakes. Listening to keywords is easy, but figuring out statements like "I want the burger, the number 2, not the big mac, just a regular burger. But the whole meal, with coke." requires actually understanding the syntax. If the syntax/grammar is wonky because english is the person's fourth language, all bets are off.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

quote:

Doerr’s doctor scheduled an MRI scan to rule out a brain-stem tumor. But because an MRI’s intense magnetic fields can interact with the Argus II, MRI providers are instructed to contact Second Sight before performing any scans—and Second Sight wasn’t picking up the phone. Doerr eventually got a CT scan instead, which found nothing. “I still don’t know if I have a brain-stem tumor or not,” he tells Spectrum.

:stonklol:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Normal implanted medical devices aren't approved for MRI use and getting that approval is a pain in the rear end of designing them to pick up as little power as possible through the leads, testing them only for in specific field strengths, and going through a separate approval process. That's why the part that actually touches the brain for DBS IPGs is just wire and polyurethane and isn't directly attached to the device to allow for easy* replacement, keeping the leads in place.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I suspect the downfall will be foreign accents, and probably also correcting mistakes. Listening to keywords is easy, but figuring out statements like "I want the burger, the number 2, not the big mac, just a regular burger. But the whole meal, with coke." requires actually understanding the syntax. If the syntax/grammar is wonky because english is the person's fourth language, all bets are off.

Seems like the solution to that is just have one guy per 50 machines or whatever and have it direct unclear audio clips to him to either just hear the clip and seamlessly correct or have a button to break in and take over the speaker remotely. It doesn't matter if the system is 100% perfect if it covers the routine orders.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

Please don't fall for that trap. This isn't automated cars, this technology doesn't have to be perfect, just workable enough not to piss off too many customers. That's all it takes to justify the savings in removing human labor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Point and laugh

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1493640197732458505?s=20&t=z5P5k5hwtjIxqkk8Xk8Wbw

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
All the inconsistency of old-style laws, but without being able to use human judgement to interpret them, sign me up.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The problem here is that machines and people in a car in a drive thru are two very different and irreconcilable kinds of stupid. Systems like this are going to get rubber stamped with lots of "well the staff can intervene then or fix it at the window" and then dumped when that's half of all customers combined with franchise owners immediately shitcanning 1/3 of their staff once it gets pushed out. Failing that, it will be the impossible contradiction that is times versus upselling, to not rule out maliciousness on the part of the consumer.

Spent 15 years in the industry, all of this stuff has been tried over and over. Automated fast food looks like an automat, not a McDonalds. Some investors are about to get fleeced.

edit - I'll add that its intended purpose is one it will succeed at - being a cudgel to suppress wages and condition labor. I think that just makes hiring harder when they can just do data entry or gig work for a 50% raise and much better conditions but I'm not paid the 6 figures that consultants who think that stuff or the ones that give the "actually raises and money aren't what motivate people" are lol

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 16, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Long and short is: Code is Law is stupid, because Humans write the code, and someone can readily exploit the code. If you have nobody auditing the decisions made by a machine, you have zero accountability.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Freakazoid_ posted:

Please don't fall for that trap. This isn't automated cars, this technology doesn't have to be perfect, just workable enough not to piss off too many customers. That's all it takes to justify the savings in removing human labor.

restaurants, especially fast food, live and die on throughput. pissing off customers is the last thing you want to do during the lunch rush. this thing, like a lot of fast food automation, is being used to cover over shortages in labor, not as a permanent replacement. fast food is already heavily automated and has been for decades. you don't need to believe in the canard that automation will replace fast food workers because that is demonstrably not true right now - even with the rare video of a chatbot slowly grinding through a simple order. this thing isn't close to a replacement for a human and any restaurant who tries to put this into production to save a few bucks is going to find themselves at a horrible disadvantage as folks just drive by the long rear end line at your restaurant and go somewhere else

i guarantee you the alternative here is not between a chatbot and a worker, its between a chatbot and being closed for lack of workers. some of the most successful fast food franchises are those who employ a shitload of workers to guarantee peak rush capacity. like chick fil a or in n out, who have as many as a dozen people just working the drive thru to ensure it flows swiftly

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 16, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Is it really that difficult to take the touchscreen ordering thingies they already have indoors and put them within reach of vehicles??

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

TACD posted:

Is it really that difficult to take the touchscreen ordering thingies they already have indoors and put them within reach of vehicles??
Imagine how grody those things would get.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if exposure to the elements fucks with their function, which means they either become a financial burden with replacement/repair or a throughput nightmare without.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like a huge advantage of a machine ordering system is that it could inherently speak any language the software supports if they wanted to. Like that feels like a big deal. Being able to just roll up only speaking french or spanish or chinese and expecting to have a way to interact with a drive through. Ordering food in a language you don't speak is a charming magical experience like 8-10 times that grows extremely frustrating rapidly. Speaking to siri in your native language would be a thousand times easier for a lot of people that trying to pantomime "cheese burger" to a bored teen

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Kyte posted:

Imagine how grody those things would get.
Like gas station pump interfaces?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cheesus posted:

Like gas station pump interfaces?

Or ATMs

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The red button

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Speaking to siri in your native language would be a thousand times easier for a lot of people that trying to pantomime "cheese burger" to a bored teen

unable to edit contact dr pepper. here’s what I found on the web for cheeseburger *reads wikipedia*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TACD posted:

those touchscreens are pretty big, a couple feet tall, to accommodate all the icons necessary in a large enough size for people with limited vision to use. it would be difficult to mount them at a suitable height to be usable for people both in small cars as well as giant trucks