Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I really want a copy of Marvin Sease's "Breakfast" where "Ate You for my Breakfast," and "Put Your Condom on Your Tongue," aren't all scratched out to a pit by a DJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Tempted on that Lovage reissue. I bought my copy the day it came out and it has seen some poo poo. It was a staple in my sets for years so its a little beat up. Now if they could also reissue JSBX Experimental Remixes.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Barry posted:

Both my favorite and least favorite thing about this thread is the endless impotent raging against capitalism by way of little discs of PVC

To be honest, this is every hobby related thread on SA. Internet fogies complaining about poo poo not costing what it used to.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

midge posted:

To be honest, this is every hobby related thread on SA. Internet fogies complaining about poo poo not costing what it used to.

I guess photography might be the one that's gone in the other direction, as digital means no more having to have a developing room at your house if you're serious to that degree.

It will, of course, still find ways to eat up every penny you have though.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

I guess photography might be the one that's gone in the other direction, as digital means no more having to have a developing room at your house if you're serious to that degree.

I think that's called the law of stuff.

Me, I'm just waiting for my thrift store albums to accrue monster value before selling. I figure these Herb Alpert albums are going to be worth hundreds of dollars one of these days. Of course we will have been dealing in hyperinflated money for a while and we'll be paying millions for automobiles routinely but it don't matter. None of this matters.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah you can dump that money into lenses! :buddy:

Or throw away money on film like an anachronistic nerd.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Man, throwing down a hundo versus waiting in line at 4 AM for the RSD release of just the OG Lovage album. How could I even choose :v:

Top-shelf Automator tho.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i waffled on it because what i really want is the Instrumentals on vinyl...

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Arcella posted:

Yeah you can dump that money into lenses! :buddy:

Or throw away money on film like an anachronistic nerd.

anachronistic nerds? In the vinyl thread? Perish the thought.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I did some research and there's people who collect the local label Slovenian polka albums. I guess Cleveland is the 3rd most Slovene populated city in the world.

I just want to go back in time and visit Tony's Polka Village.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I just want the original Sims soundtrack on vinyl. :smith: My heart will probably tear its way out of my chest due to crushing nostalgia, but I dammit, I want it.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Live Seeds, My Arms Your Hearse, and those two Voivod LPs are my must buys this year.

Now whether or not I'll actually be up early enough to cop them remains to be seen.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Welp finally something I really want. It's Live Seeds.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i didn't even notice the list was out, could someone link it please

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

hexwren posted:

i didn't even notice the list was out, could someone link it please

Web: https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

PDF: https://recordstoreday.s3.amazonaws.com/2022/2022_RSD_PUBLIC.pdf

interpunct fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 17, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'll be first to thank you for the link, and be the first to point out that they finally decided to rerelease the Rick Astley album with "the song" on it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

I'll be first to thank you for the link, and be the first to point out that they finally decided to rerelease the Rick Astley album with "the song" on it.

Despite the meme song, this is an absolutely fantastic 80s album. Don't pass it up, y'all!

I already own a copy of the original, so I'll be passing this one up. #ChannelingCPL593H

Edit: Ooh, the Kali Uchis and Tangerine Dream albums are tempting though.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 17, 2022

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i mean, I appreciate the link just as much, I'm just at work, so my opportunities to reply are limited

so for those of us talking about lovage, there's also the first handsome boy record up there as well

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

hexwren posted:

so for those of us talking about lovage, there's also the first handsome boy record up there as well

Modelling just sucks - they made me take off my top.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I think it was the talk about Endtroducing ITT that made me buy it again. Just got it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Barry posted:

Both my favorite and least favorite thing about this thread is the endless impotent raging against capitalism by way of little discs of PVC

I also care about things that matter if that does anything for you.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I went to order the Rosali album from discogs, and the seller said that if I spend $30, shipping would be free, but otherwise it would be $5. I wasn't about to do that, but there weren't any other new albums that I was interested in. But then I saw that they had a ton of used copies of very old albums on there for only $3 or $4 each. I hadn't heard the vast majority of them, but decided to grab a couple albums by Carole King, a couple by Elton John, one by The Who, and one by Roberta Flack. I ended up spending about $40 in all. Most of them are apparently in good shape, one or two say they might have sound or skip occasionally.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Which Who album?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Read After Burning posted:

Which Who album?

The full list:

Carole King - Writer
Carole King - Music
Elton John - Caribou
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection
The Who - Face Dances
Roberta Flack - Chapter Two

I'm going in blind with all of these, but looked up "best of" lists for each of the artists, and they all ranked middle to high on the lists I saw, although not necessarily in the top two or three. I figured I'd focus on when they were all still in the peak of their careers.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Normally RSD stuff doesn’t interest me but that Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio record looks neat; I just got their new Cold As Weiss album today.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nihonniboku posted:

The full list:

Carole King - Writer
Carole King - Music
Elton John - Caribou
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection
The Who - Face Dances
Roberta Flack - Chapter Two

I'm going in blind with all of these, but looked up "best of" lists for each of the artists, and they all ranked middle to high on the lists I saw, although not necessarily in the top two or three. I figured I'd focus on when they were all still in the peak of their careers.

Tumbleweed connection is good. The rest…?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I just saw this price tag and got sad. So now you all have to see it too.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Boinks posted:

I just saw this price tag and got sad. So now you all have to see it too.

I bought most of my classic rock stuff in the late 90's. A lot of it in the bargain bins. I'm always blown away when I see a Stones/Zep/Creedence for over $5

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sporklift posted:

I bought most of my classic rock stuff in the late 90's. A lot of it in the bargain bins. I'm always blown away when I see a Stones/Zep/Creedence for over $5

Yeah I bought a bunch of basically NM Iron Maiden records back then for a few bucks a piece, dylan records for $.99, stuff like that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WHO DARES SUMMON ME?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I now have a funk/soul/disco section, and I couldn't be more pleased.

I've almost completed my LTD/Jeffrey Osborne collection. :kiddo:

CPL593H posted:

WHO DARES SUMMON ME?

Read After Burning posted:

Despite the meme song, this is an absolutely fantastic 80s album. Don't pass it up, y'all!

I already own a copy of the original, so I'll be passing this one up. #ChannelingCPL593H

:ohdear:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Interesting article from The Guardian:

quote:

Record Store Day is harming, not helping, independent music shops like mine

Supply chain chaos and a worldwide vinyl shortage means the annual event that once saved record shops from extinction has lost its way

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/feb/17/record-store-day-independent-music-shops-vinyl-shortage

Can't help but agree in someway, but are a bunch of limited run releases really clogging up the supply chain?

Though maybe it would be a good experiment to forgo RSD next year and see what happens.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I noticed the article seems to focus on the UK specifically. Wonder if it's the same state in the US? The article made it sound like Brexit was an added factor for why it's difficult, so perhaps it's less bad here in the states?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Didn’t we lose quite a few pressing plants recently stateside? I'd imagine between that and backed up shipping, the situation here is pretty fucky too.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
More often than not the grumbles about record store day are that it forces shops to buy a lot of the lesser titles to get the ones people really want and they’re inevitably left with dead stock. It was designed to try to get people to go back to support local music stores but as it got bigger and more bloated the stores just get flippers who only show up for those limited releases.

It’s personally been disappointing because there hasn’t been anything I’ve wanted over the last few years, seemingly coinciding with the event getting bigger and bigger. It’s maybe been five or six years since I went out decently early.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 19, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I had guys who own stores telling me RSD is a pile of poo poo ten+ years ago. Once the big labels knew what a cash grab it could be they gave the finger to the indie shops.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Actually come to think of it, a couple of years ago I did have an employee of one of the local stores tell me the shop was thinking of bowing out of RSD because it's such a hassle holding the event and apparently doesn't help them drum up any more business. A lot of work for not much gain, but they're a smaller shop than the main one around here, and tend to have higher quality records at higher prices.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Actually come to think of it, a couple of years ago I did have an employee of one of the local stores tell me the shop was thinking of bowing out of RSD because it's such a hassle holding the event and apparently doesn't help them drum up any more business. A lot of work for not much gain, but they're a smaller shop than the main one around here, and tend to have higher quality records at higher prices.

Yeah I first became aware of this because I asked a record store guy if he'd gotten one of any of the Devo reissues Warner had put out then (it was 2010). I thought they were an RSD thing so I mentioned that. And then he went on a big rant about how for years and years the big labels ignored the indie shops and now all of a sudden then wanted him to sell their crap. His overall vibe from me asking about anything RSD related was like I'd burst in and called his mother a whore. In the years since I've heard plenty of negative things about RSD from my usual dealers.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

Yeah I first became aware of this because I asked a record store guy if he'd gotten one of any of the Devo reissues Warner had put out then (it was 2010). I thought they were an RSD thing so I mentioned that. And then he went on a big rant about how for years and years the big labels ignored the indie shops and now all of a sudden then wanted him to sell their crap. His overall vibe from me asking about anything RSD related was like I'd burst in and called his mother a whore. In the years since I've heard plenty of negative things about RSD from my usual dealers.

There's an even smaller shop in town that's does RSD but doesn't seem to advertise it much or get much in. I'm pretty sure the bulk of his business is the repair and maintenance of record players anyways. The biggest shop however is all in; presumably because they have the cash and name recognition locally to make it a big splashy event. They were big enough to get featured on the official website one year even. I nearly just forgot about the other place you can buy records at here, and they also do RSD, but they are primarily a guitar shop and not exactly hurting for business either. It does seem to paradoxically benefit the bigger local shops more over the real small hole in the wall type places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

A couple weeks ago, I discovered there's a SECOND record store downtown. It's a nice place and carries some city pop. :kiddo: I am cheering (my wallet is screaming).

I'll post pics of my finds later, it's mostly funk, soul, and jazz.

I have a vaporwave album and a hip hop beats album arriving later today. Music is dope, y'all. :unsmith: