Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bathtub Cheese posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzLtF_PxbYw

US foreign policy looking very desperate and Newman-like these days as the semi-periphery pushes back against their chronic obsession with neocolonialism and undermining the sovereignty of weaker nations using underhanded forms of political, military and economic duress

....what the hell does this have to do with Russia demanding Ukraine, a country who is independent of them, immediately submit to their whims? What does that have to do with stationing multiple divisions immediately on Ukraine's border as a threat? Or Russia invading in 2014 in Donbass and annexing Crimea? Are these not colonialism?

Where's the US forces pushing this neocolonialism you are talking about in Urkaine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

It's also potentially (but not necessarily) indicative of media consumption. Moscow-oriented media sticks with the pejorative usage, so folks who are quick to downplay Russia's belligerence while centering complaints about the West and Ukraine will often go with the language they hear most.

Yes yes, you've nailed it on the head. There's a secret media cabal spreading lies at the behest of the Russians, and they can be spotted by their use of the word "the".

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

A bizarre number of CHUDS are overtly adopting the narrative that Ukraine was drifting toward the EU and being corrupted or forced to adopt more friendly LGBT attitudes. Ergo, Putin needs to liberate the country to restore Christian rights. It's not particularly new, but it's still weird to see offline.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Grammarchist posted:

A bizarre number of CHUDS are overtly adopting the narrative that Ukraine was drifting toward the EU and being corrupted or forced to adopt more friendly LGBT attitudes. Ergo, Putin needs to liberate the country to restore Christian rights. It's not particularly new, but it's still weird to see offline.

Chuds and the Russian government have basically the same stance on everything.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bathtub Cheese posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzLtF_PxbYw

US foreign policy looking very desperate and Newman-like these days as the semi-periphery pushes back against their chronic obsession with neocolonialism and undermining the sovereignty of weaker nations using underhanded forms of political, military and economic duress

I would generally prefer for youtube links to include a brief summary of what the video is and says in addition to the "please try to add a little cogent commentary" requirement, which you admittedly passed in this case. It's unreasonable to expect people to watch a video to have any idea what you're talking about.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grammarchist posted:

I mean, the EU does tend to push back on a lot of anti-LGBT stuff (this is happening with Poland and Hungary iirc). So for once, CHUDs not wrong, but also: on the side of the oppressors. So still wrong.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I would generally prefer for youtube links to include a brief summary of what the video is and says in addition to the "please try to add a little cogent commentary" requirement, which you admittedly passed in this case. It's unreasonable to expect people to watch a video to have any idea what you're talking about.

This is also a good general practice because it's impossible to know in advance if a video is blocked in some countries or just won't display any title or graphic because the rights holder blocked it playing on other platforms, which are cases where someone is extremely likely to just scroll past it

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

CommieGIR posted:

....what the hell does this have to do with Russia demanding Ukraine, a country who is independent of them, immediately submit to their whims? What does that have to do with stationing multiple divisions immediately on Ukraine's border as a threat? Or Russia invading in 2014 in Donbass and annexing Crimea? Are these not colonialism?

Where's the US forces pushing this neocolonialism you are talking about in Urkaine?

Crimea voted for annexation and the US funded and aided the overthrow of Ukraine's democratically elected government in 2014. The US sells lethal aid to a government allied with the home-grown fascist squadristi like Azov battalion who are proud of their heritage as Nazi collaborators. Said illegitimate government has abrogated the human rights of communists throughout the country by banning symbols and political parties.

The US has also furnished credit to this illegitimate government through international financial institutions. These means (arms sales and international credit) both are used to redistribute the wealth of a targeted nation such as Ukraine into American hands.

The US has no legitimate role or interest in the region whatsoever and escalation with Russia is an existential threat to humanity as a whole. Why should anyone take the tendentious framing of the issue from a government employee seriously?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Europe or the EU is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more friendly towards minority and LGBTQs than Russia. Granted, not perfect.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, the EU does tend to push back on a lot of anti-LGBT stuff (this is happening with Poland and Hungary iirc). So for once, CHUDs not wrong, but also: on the side of the oppressors. So still wrong.

This speaks more to the west/east divide in the EU. Eastern EU countries tend to be more homophobic, mysognystic, and authoritarian. So naturally they align more with Russia and American conservatives.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Crimea voted for annexation and the US funded and aided the overthrow of Ukraine's democratically elected government in 2014. The US sells lethal aid to a government allied with the home-grown fascist squadristi like Azov battalion who are proud of their heritage as Nazi collaborators. They have also furnished credit to this illegitimate government through international financial institutions. These means both are used to redistribute the wealth of a targeted nation such as Ukraine into American hands.

The US has no legitimate role or interest in the region whatsoever and escalation with Russia is an existential threat to humanity as a whole. Why should anyone take the tendentious framing of the issue from a government employee seriously?

They voted for Annexation AFTER Russia had already annexed them. This is straight up post hoc validation. Also: Are you going to vote against the people who just rolled armored trucks into your country to overthrow them?

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Crimea voted for annexation and the US funded and aided the overthrow of Ukraine's democratically elected government in 2014. The US sells lethal aid to a government allied with the home-grown fascist squadristi like Azov battalion who are proud of their heritage as Nazi collaborators. They have also furnished credit to this illegitimate government through international financial institutions. These means both are used to redistribute the wealth of a targeted nation such as Ukraine into American hands.

We discussed this: Putin regularly also employs Nazis. See again: the Wagner Group, who are active in the Donbass. Are you suggesting the entirety of Ukraine is supportive of the Azov battalion, therefore Putin is justified? Man, I hope Putin notices all the US Nazis he effectively supported as well.

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Your right! Which is why the US openly said they would likely not openly oppose a Russian invasion of Ukraine. Imagine that.

But the US isn't the one staging multiple divisions on the border of Ukraine or banging war drums to get their way, is it?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 17, 2022

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Sorry, forgot they weren't embedded in the page. A road apple of a forum.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

They voted for Annexation AFTER Russia had already annexed them. This is straight up post hoc validation. Also: Are you going to vote against the people who just rolled armored trucks into your country to overthrow them?

We discussed this: Putin regularly also employs Nazis. See again: the Wagner Group, who are active in the Donbass. Are you suggesting the entirety of Ukraine is supportive of the Azov battalion, therefore Putin is justified? Man, I hope Putin notices all the US Nazis he effectively supported as well.

Your right! Which is why the US openly said they would likely not openly oppose a Russian invasion of Ukraine. Imagine that.

But the US isn't the one staging multiple divisions on the border of Ukraine or banging war drums to get their way, is it?

Why should we care about Putin or Russia if the US has no legitimate role or interest in the region other than Ukraine being a lucrative market for arms sales and international development loans? Do you think US involvement is keeping Russia out? If so, how?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Why should we care about Putin or Russia if the US has no legitimate role or interest in the region other than Ukraine being a lucrative market for arms sales and international development loans? Do you think US involvement is keeping Russia out? If so, how?

Ukraine is an independent country who, shockingly, doesn't want to be invaded by Putin or annexed. Strange that you are making this about the US rather than the actions of Russia using threats of military force against its immediate neighbor.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Why should we care about Putin or Russia if the US has no legitimate role or interest in the region other than Ukraine being a lucrative market for arms sales and international development loans?

That's a good question, why even discuss this? Very few people here will be personally affected if Putin invades Ukraine, maybe it's weird to be concerned about the welfare of people thousands of miles away

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

CommieGIR posted:

Ukraine is an independent country who, shockingly, doesn't want to be invaded by Putin or annexed. Strange that you are making this about the US rather than the actions of Russia using threats of military force against its immediate neighbor.

"The US should not get involved" is a valid argument on its own merits and you should address that rather than the argument you imagine to be in the poster's head.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

The US is using this as a geopolitical wedge and escalating the situation past the own stated desires of the Ukrainian government. The US's role is more than germane, they're the prime mover in this dustup in their broken promise to end NATO and their support (financial, diplomatic, and logistic) color revolutions installing pro-NATO governments all along Russia's border. Why should Russia tolerate US meddling in countries so close by, encircling the country with hostile governments that took power in violent coups funded by the US?

Bathtub Cheese fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 17, 2022

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Because Putin bad

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but the market is having a bad time with all beating war drums

https://twitter.com/SalehaMohsin/status/1493340579467509765

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

"The US should not get involved" is a valid argument on its own merits and you should address that rather than the argument you imagine to be in the poster's head.

We're not involved. The poster is specifically, for some odd reason, bringing the US up. Because arms shipments at the request of Ukraine? In the face of a possible invasion?

Somehow this is a neocolonialism, versus Putin pretending Ukraine is not a country and should be a Russian satellite state. Which is actual colonialism.

Bathtub Cheese posted:

The US is using this as a geopolitical wedge and escalating the situation past the own stated desires of the Ukrainian government. The US's role is more than germane, they're the prime mover in this dustup in their broken promise to end NATO and color revolutions installing pro-NATO governments all along Russia's border. Why should Russia tolerate US meddling in countries so close by, encircling the country with hostile governments that took power in violent coups funded by the US?

What is the stated goals of the Ukrainian government? Willing to bet one of them is "Not be invaded by Putin because he feels his neighbor, an independant state, should be under his control."

Bathtub Cheese posted:

The US is using this as a geopolitical wedge and escalating the situation past the own stated desires of the Ukrainian government. The US's role is more than germane, they're the prime mover in this dustup in their broken promise to end NATO and color revolutions installing pro-NATO governments all along Russia's border. Why should Russia tolerate US meddling in countries so close by, encircling the country with hostile governments that took power in violent coups funded by the US?

Uh, the "color revolutions" where actually just the fall of the Soviet Government. And for the most part we were actually opposed to adding a lot of Eastern Bloc countries to NATO. They went far, far out of their way to get NATO membership.

So, let's be clear here: you are arguing that Putin is an innocent actor being manipulated by NATO and the US and that's why he's gotta steadily annex and overthrow neighboring governments with military force because...for some reason, seeking EU membership is colonialism but military overthrow and annexation of your neighbor is not?

Which by the way, we've openly stated, multiple times, directly to Putin that Ukraine is not going to be added to NATO. And even the EU is, at best, a couple years off. What sort of threat is Ukraine presenting that Putin needs to stationed multiple divisions, easily 100,000+ men, on his neighbors border? At this point you are just saying Putin is an easily manipulated idiot who cannot resist responding with military force to his neighbors.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 17, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

slave to my cravings posted:

Because Putin bad

I'm just gonna issue a general reminder that white noise posting, repeating catchphrases, etc is discouraged. You are welcome to make any argument you like in D&D (as long as you are willing to support it) but we would like discussion to be more substantive.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Uh, the "color revolutions" where actually just the fall of the Soviet Government. And for the most part we were actually opposed to adding a lot of Eastern Bloc countries to NATO. They went far, far out of their way to get NATO membership.

I think he's referring to the coup in 2014, not the collapse of the USSR.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Charliegrs posted:

This speaks more to the west/east divide in the EU. Eastern EU countries tend to be more homophobic, mysognystic, and authoritarian. So naturally they align more with Russia and American conservatives.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Europe or the EU is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more friendly towards minority and LGBTQs than Russia. Granted, not perfect.

It's quite telling that Ukraine gets better scores in surveys for LGBT-friendly policies and legislation than Poland. But they are still miles better than Russia, where any kind of activism for equal rights can and will be taken as propaganda to minors and you end in court. In Ukraine Pride marches are possible, thanks to brave people who know their rights and are not taken back by threats.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

We're not involved. The poster is specifically, for some odd reason, bringing the US up. Because arms shipments at the request of Ukraine? In the face of a possible invasion?

Somehow this is a neocolonialism, versus Putin pretending Ukraine is not a country and should be a Russian satellite state. Which is actual colonialism.

I'd say promising to help rebuild their economy from the ongoing panic damage + the invasion if it does happen through predatory loaning is indeed neocolonialism.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think he's referring to the coup in 2014, not the collapse of the USSR.

Which was still a military invasion with marked Russian units. Which the 'vote to annex' didn't happen until afterwards in Crimea. And a vote held by a country notable for having what basically amounts to a president for life who jails most of his opposition. And violently murders the others. In other countries.

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'd say promising to help rebuild their economy from the ongoing panic damage + the invasion if it does happen through predatory loaning is indeed neocolonialism.

Agreed, but invading your neighbors to get your way is also a colonialism. And again, the US is not the one actively threatening direct military force.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 17, 2022

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Conspiratiorist posted:

The claim is that the US has no "legitimate role or interest in the region." What are the bounds of a legitimate role or interest? Are "legitimate interests" a case of adjacency? What's the arguments for this claim?

Off the top of my head there are two very large examples of events isolated to Eastern Europe eventually involving the United States in very impactful ways. Russia has holidays for both of them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Why should Russia tolerate US meddling in countries so close by, encircling the country with hostile governments that took power in violent coups funded by the US?

Ukraine has a democratically elected government. Russia is 100% in the wrong if it decided to take it over as it would feel better if Ukraine just did exactly what Russia wants it to do.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Russia got the US involved by listing demands of NATO and then acting dismissively of European leaders because they do not represent the largest NATO power and so can't speak for NATO. Which is to say Russia made it very clear they want to negotiate but only with the US.

Beyond that, while a war in Ukraine will have minimal effect on the US it will affect US European allies quite a lot which is enough reason in itself to care. It shows your allies you are invested in them and they can count on you. Declaring you don't give a poo poo because it doesn't affect you personally is terrible diplomacy.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Nenonen posted:

It's quite telling that Ukraine gets better scores in surveys for LGBT-friendly policies and legislation than Poland. But they are still miles better than Russia, where any kind of activism for equal rights can and will be taken as propaganda to minors and you end in court. In Ukraine Pride marches are possible, thanks to brave people who know their rights and are not taken back by threats.

LGBT protections are mostly just weaponized idpol at this point and entirely unrepresentative of how a country actually governs Israel comes to mind here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Which was still a military invasion with marked Russian units. Which the 'vote to annex' didn't happen until afterwards in Crimea. And a vote held by a country notable for having what basically amounts to a president for life who jails most of his opposition. And violently murders the others. In other countries..

Are we still talking about Ukraine? I have no knowledge of Russians invading Ukraine att. In fact, the democratically elected government that was ousted was trying to establish closer ties with Russia, why would they try to get rid of them?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"The" Ukraine is incorrect because it implies there is only one Ukraine in existence, but according to Everett's Many Worlds theory there's an infinite number of Ukraines throughout space-time

Therefore the correct toponym is "A" Ukraine

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Mr. Putin can have half an Ukraine, as a treat.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

https://sledcom.ru/news/item/1656580?fbclid=IwAR1iWVW40g9V6z_ynIWRGjhYffpeWRcHYVy0ZwLBOLdVEmmnVfIwE47wWZc

Russian Investigative Committee opening an investigation into the mass graves in Donbas.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Now that some hawks are starting to finally acknowledge that this war isn't actually going to happen we can think about how decades from now all the guns, positive press, and training we gave the brave Mujahideen warriors of the Azov Battalion will have no long term negative effects for either the politics or people of Ukraine or the surrounding regions and will never blow back. Thankfully there's no precedent I can think of that might hint about the outcome.

Also I wonder what the US alt-righters think about Azov battalion because Russia's reactionary anti gay stuff, footsie with white nationalism and Wagner Group used to get them all hot and bothered and now they're the jewish controlled opposition or something against the brave Azov volunteers that are willing to be even more on the nose than ever like the Wagner Group dude or whatever.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 17, 2022

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Now that some hawks are starting to finally acknowledge that this war isn't actually going to happen we can think about how decades from now all the guns, positive press, and training we gave the brave Mujahideen warriors of the Azov Battalion will have no long term negative effects for either the politics or people of Ukraine or the surrounding regions and will never blow back. Thankfully there's no precedent I can think of that might hint about the outcome.

The war in the east started by Russia might be the precedent you're looking for. You don't have to make people guess.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

https://sledcom.ru/news/item/1656580?fbclid=IwAR1iWVW40g9V6z_ynIWRGjhYffpeWRcHYVy0ZwLBOLdVEmmnVfIwE47wWZc

Russian Investigative Committee opening an investigation into the mass graves in Donbas.

"Oh man, all these mass graves in a warzone that we helped create. Surely this is the justification we need to continue the invasion of Donbass and we just happened to find these recently rather than the past 8 years we've been in Donbass".

Also love that you are linking us to a Russian Government Investigation Department.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Shes Not Impressed posted:

The war in the east started by Russia might be the precedent you're looking for. You don't have to make people guess.

Are you trying to reference Crimea, Chechnya, or Georgia? I mean I think I made it pretty obvious that I was referencing Afghanistan in the 80's but I didn't think I needed to spell the joke out that much.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Also I wonder what the US alt-righters think about Azov battalion because Russia's reactionary anti gay stuff, footsie with white nationalism and Wagner Group used to get them all hot and bothered and now they're the jewish controlled opposition or something against the brave Azov volunteers that are willing to be even more on the nose than ever like the Wagner Group dude or whatever.

Yes, the current government in Ukraine is very similar to the that of the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan, just as oppressive, just as lacking in popular support, and just as likely to collapse and form a power vacuum once the occupying Soviet army leaves.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

You gotta hand it to these Russians they sure know how to hate the gays

Man I love these EE takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Yes, the current government in Ukraine is very similar to the that of the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan, just as oppressive, just as lacking in popular support, and just as likely to collapse and form a power vacuum once the occupying Soviet army leaves.

Oh dang, well I guess then there can be no negative outcomes from supporting the most insane bloodthirsty reactionary faction in an unstable country to own the Russians because the analogy isn't perfectly exact.