Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Blue Raider posted:

There’s a quote I read a while ago from somebody who I can’t recall that was something like Ernest Hemingway and Glenn Danzig are complete self-parodies. But occasionally those parodies are met with just the right occasion, and the results are incredible.

I’m expecting something like that with the Peacemaker.

That reminds of something somebody said about (pre-Trump) Rudy Guiliani. I'll paraphrase because I can't recall or be arsed to look it up online but it was something like: "Rudy treats every problem like it's a life-or-death crisis. On most days that makes him an rear end in a top hat. On 9-11 it made him a hero."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Thundercracker posted:

My speculation on how Peacemaker will get out of being the most wanted man in America is that the final mission will go completely tits up and the existence of Butterflies will be fully revealed to the world much to the chagrin of Amanda Waller.

For a hot moment Peacemaker will become the hero he always wanted to be except there's going be a twist of the knife.

He's the most wanted man in the County not in the Country.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
he (and his team) killed a senator, his family, 30+ people at a factory, and a bunch of cops, it's the country

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
https://twitter.com/dcsdoctorfate/status/1493619241530003458?s=21

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Everyone posted:

That reminds of something somebody said about (pre-Trump) Rudy Guiliani. I'll paraphrase because I can't recall or be arsed to look it up online but it was something like: "Rudy treats every problem like it's a life-or-death crisis. On most days that makes him an rear end in a top hat. On 9-11 it made him a hero."

My go-to example from fiction is Burt Gummer from Tremors, the insane prepper gun-hoarding rear end in a top hat who turned out to be awesome at killing graboids. :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

loving thrilled there will be a season 2, I love that this weird loving show absolutely seems to have struck the sweet spot and gotten so many people into it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

he (and his team) killed a senator, his family, 30+ people at a factory, and a bunch of cops, it's the country

Does that man have any bathing tips?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Things that would be amusing to see in the Peacemaker finale that I don't expect to actually happen:
-old guy shows up again to bother peacemaker or/and the butterflies.
-the veterinarians from last episode show up as last-ditch backup. as to how they find the team, "our mobile pet adoption RV has GPS tracking and auto-tweets out it's location, dumbasses"

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Kind of surprised that a nation wide man hunt wouldn’t pull in some b tier cape, especially if they’re pinning assassination of a senator on him.

Also what’s the over under on Cena hanging hog in season 2?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Warbird posted:

Kind of surprised that a nation wide man hunt wouldn’t pull in some b tier cape, especially if they’re pinning assassination of a senator on him.

Also what’s the over under on Cena hanging hog in season 2?

I bet more supes will show up season 2. Just like The Mandolorian it almost feels like a trial run of whether this kind of show can even work. Now its proved itself they'll be shoving fan service into it unless Gunn can say no.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I hope we get more Z level villains. Lets have Condiment King and Calendar Man show up. The highest tier person that should show up should be like a 13 year old Robin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

swickles posted:

I hope we get more Z level villains. Lets have Condiment King and Calendar Man show up. The highest tier person that should show up should be like a 13 year old Robin.

Entire episode dedicated to Robin and Judomaster beating the poo poo out of each other, ends when Judomaster discovers Robin is 13 and everybody yells at him for beating up a kid. Robin is horrified to discover Judomaster is an adult.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
They should put Batman in it so Chris can give him a piece of his mind, and have Batman just, like, lose it and pull a Goddamn Batman.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hell yea!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

They should put Batman in it so Chris can give him a piece of his mind, and have Batman just, like, lose it and pull a Goddamn Batman.

They should put Midnighter in it so Peacemaker can call him knockoff Batman before Midnighter clocks him saying "I'm not the Goddamn Batman!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Disney panicking and firing James Gunn was the best thing for superhero media.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Peacemaker seems like he would be a pretty decent guy if he wasn't so hosed in the head, and the show kinda backs that up.

Makes me think of the monstar catch up article.

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2016/11/monstars-where-are-they-now-space-jam/

quote:

He reads me headlines from Breitbart, InfoWars, and the Drudge Report and frequently asks if I’d like another beer. I always do. I decide that Bang’s okay, he just has a rotten soul.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

Mike Cernovich somehow managed to turn his biggest win into his biggest loss.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jerusalem posted:

Entire episode dedicated to Robin and Judomaster beating the poo poo out of each other, ends when Judomaster discovers Robin is 13 and everybody yells at him for beating up a kid. Robin is horrified to discover Judomaster is an adult.

:perfect:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Nefertitties" made me laugh way more than it should have :xd:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

swickles posted:

Calendar Man already got a cameo in The Suicide Squad :v:

https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status/1425851136469258242

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Calendar Man already got a cameo in The Suicide Squad :v:

https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status/1425851136469258242

He also shows up in all of the Batman Arkham games, so I'd argue he's more B-tier than Z-tier

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I want to say he was in the Long Holiday? The Long Halloween? They sorta treated him seriously, like he was a date-obsessed Hannibal Lecter.

Or wait, was that the Clock Guy? Are they the same person?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/n9uoRTA.gifv

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GreenMetalSun posted:

I want to say he was in the Long Holiday? The Long Halloween? They sorta treated him seriously, like he was a date-obsessed Hannibal Lecter.

Or wait, was that the Clock Guy? Are they the same person?

The Long Halloween has a killer who strikes on particular holidays, so they called him.... Holiday. Obviously people in the DC Universe aren't the most creative. When Holiday is eventually found and arrested, they end up sticking him in the cell across from Calendar Man, and the two just GLARE at each other while angrily reciting different holiday names at each other :allears:

I really liked TLH and Dark Victory, but man it very quickly became obvious that Jeph Loeb really likes writing basically the same story structure every time.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
The Long Halloween definitely has Calendar Man playing the same role Hannibal Lecter did in Silence of the Lambs.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Accurate.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Seen the intro so many times I immediately noticed the video was mirrored from Vig and Adebayo being on the wrong sides.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
SCABIES FOR ALL

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Well I guess that’s where the whole episode’s budget went. :stare:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't know if they really stuck the landing for this season, but they definitely have some hooks for the next one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am counting that as Chekov's butthole accomplished. :toot:

Holy gently caress those cameos.

That menacing smile that Robert Patrick had on in the final scene :ohdear:

Bring on Peacemaker season 2: Judomaster's Revenge!

Gonz posted:

Well I guess that’s where the whole episode’s budget went. :stare:

That was a really good scene.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Lol great ending episode

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
it's not a rumour.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Loved the episode, series was great, stoked for season 2. What a wonderful, wonderful surprise this show was.

Final scene Augie showing up and cackling with delight at his son desperately trying to ignore him while the leader of an alien species is reduced to eating the last of its food from the deck of his lovely trailer, all while Eagly mugs at the camera was perfect.

Also, Economos laying out the reason why he dyed his beard was just great, I love that the series gave a chance for these characters who are basically just background actors in the films to flesh out as actual people, and that they absolutely nailed it.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

That was a really satisfying ending, wrapped most of the plotlines up really well while leaving hooks for what should be a good season 2 as well.

gently caress you, Barry.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

yeah just a great ending to a great season. was very glad that the judomaster arc paid off

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
A completely hosed sleep schedule does come with a few perks it seems :getin: And yeah that was about as good a season ender that we could have hoped for.

Jerusalem posted:

Also, Economos laying out the reason why he dyed his beard was just great, I love that the series gave a chance for these characters who are basically just background actors in the films to flesh out as actual people, and that they absolutely nailed it.

Love how what could have been a one-off jokey reference to the actor not wanting to dye his beard for the movie turned into this season-long character arc with a proper payoff and everything.

e:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am counting that as Chekov's butthole accomplished. :toot:

That reminds me, I watched Slither the other night and it features an x-ray view of an alien parasite punching into a person's chest and burrowing up to their brain to take control. And that was in 2006.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Pretty good needle drop in this episode