Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

LGD posted:

that's the conventional wisdom, but imo after Arcane somehow worked no one should really have any more excuses
Arcane was made in-house, wasn't it? It's basically an entirely different ecosystem, separate from Hollywood or regular TV. Seems more likely that other game companies try something similar and we get "good" "adaptations" that way than it happening through Hollywood paying attention.

I wonder if that's gonna cause issues in the future, if a parallel system is created that starts muscling in on Hollywood's turf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

From the writer and director of "Raw" eh?
say no more I'm in

let me know what you think! and try to go in cold lol

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Arcane was made in-house, wasn't it? It's basically an entirely different ecosystem, separate from Hollywood or regular TV. Seems more likely that other game companies try something similar and we get "good" "adaptations" that way than it happening through Hollywood paying attention.

I wonder if that's gonna cause issues in the future, if a parallel system is created that starts muscling in on Hollywood's turf.

Riot contracted paris studio Fortiche, who did some of their better trailers

article about them here: https://www.cartoonbrew.com/studios/the-secret-to-arcane-studio-fortiches-success-its-owned-by-artists-211970.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB8TyLTD7EE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4

Durf has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Feb 16, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Durf posted:

Riot contracted paris studio Fortiche, who did some of their better trailers

article about them here: https://www.cartoonbrew.com/studios/the-secret-to-arcane-studio-fortiches-success-its-owned-by-artists-211970.html
I see, Not quite in-house, but certainly a connection to the existing production that doesn't exist when you just farm it out to a random Hollywood production company.

Obviously the solution is for Disney to buy out some gaming companies, and have Disney become integrated into game trailer/cutscene production to recreate this dynamic.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

let me know what you think! and try to go in cold lol

I read a one sentence synopsis and it's just the mom from pete and pete

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

if anyone wants to watch something completely batshit insane + original (+ entertaining!), TITANE is now streaming on hulu

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1494002251563630593

this is a movie where I truly truly did not like the film. hated watching it. performances and stuff are good just the storytelling loving sucks. but I noticed people either hate it like me or loving love it like some 'dress is white/blue' no middle ground thing. I felt it was very derivative of a few sources and never did I feel like I was watching a real story, never suspended my disbelief.

For example the scene where she has to break her nose. I've seen that scene so many times I instantly knew the beats. Dogtooth at least made it a little shocking this was just predictable brutality. scene after scene so predictable. of course I didn't know where the plot would go because it didn't 'go'. I think people who like it never watched a b-movie, or cronenberg body horror, before and now doing one is art I guess?

idk I feel its all very basic and while 'novel' in its specific blend of ideas none of them are 'original'

also my friend asked me if it's transphobic or not and honestly idk

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

also my dislike for it is almost certainly based on the incredible praise for its 'originality' and uniqueness that was absent when I watched it. and for winning cannes.

had i seen it knowing nothing flipping through netflix on night i'd probably say its fine, not great. Vincent's charisma kept me from leaving the theater

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Now microsoft can turn blizzard into a studio that makes animated content and retires their games.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

let Kojima finally drop the gaming pretense and just make a drat movie instead of 10 hours of cutscenes

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Durf posted:

let Kojima finally drop the gaming pretense and just make a drat movie instead of 10 hours of cutscenes

i "played" a half hour of death stranding last night and i definitely touched the controller twice.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
most of the time I spent in death stranding was making zipline networks

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

most of the time I spent in death stranding was making zipline networks

The most satisfying experience

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Antonymous posted:

also my dislike for it is almost certainly based on the incredible praise for its 'originality' and uniqueness that was absent when I watched it. and for winning cannes.
how annoying

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

taking a moment to appreciate how money heist is one of the biggest worldwide pop culture hits of the last decade but you would never ever know this if you were relying on the mainstream english language entertainment press for pop culture information

its called money heist dude

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Beyond its dumb title, money heist sucks anyway

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
is it a remake of Money Train

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

Mulaney and Sandberg are both funny actors with experience in two handers though. idk if you can call having a B tier standup and a third rate tv comedy lead starring in a comedy “stunt casting” especially in a post talking about Chris Pratt. how many people even know who John Mulaney is? I bet more people will recognize Spider Ham than Mulaney

okay okay I hope the chip and dales rescue rangers movie is very good

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

indigi posted:

is it a remake of Money Train

Actually it's a prequel to Money Plane which was inspired by early aughts hip hop single Money Jane

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

okay okay I hope the chip and dales rescue rangers movie is very good

oh I don’t think there’s any chance it will be good

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/netflix/status/1494024297882349571

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimesbooks/status/1493642558861463552

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/people/status/1494020771060015104?s=20&t=c3biFGD1KrS6KpIBoeqtpw

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

so loving mad 6666 isn't a sci-fi series

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im having trouble thinking of any good reason to call it that if its not supposed to have the same meaning as the other two

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

drat horror queefs posted:

Actually it's a prequel to Money Plane which was inspired by early aughts hip hop single Money Jane

where does hurricane heist fit into this timeline

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Bro Dad posted:

so loving mad 6666 isn't a sci-fi series

what the gently caress is it then

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Lib and let die posted:

The most satisfying experience

Ya if I replay it I’m only doing the beginning and huge mid section with all the highways.

Amelie loving sucks and that part on the beach was the ultimate test of enduring Hideo’s bullshit

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1493986604561707011?s=20&t=y7RgEcyUsRctbaqA2WTQSQ

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
And thus the popculture thread spreads itself thinner.

On one side, there are the movie dude that are forced to have opinion about Micky Mouse Flicks when they want to discuss the cinematography of some foreign flick;

and then you have the pop culture die hards that are starting to feel like they have to watch Yellow Stone, because Yellowstone is becoming 2020's Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and CSI/NCSI, catapulted with the cultural zeitgeist of harry potter, star wars, cape poo poo for the dying rural/boomer America.

Sure you might be saying all the "pop culture" stuff sells merchandise, but the real power of pop culture is its ability to guide people with massive voting/cash sway.
It doesn't matter how much money you spend on funco pops; the mythology of the small hardworking rural farmer is worth billions in government subsidies.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 04:05 on Feb 17, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

indigi posted:

what the gently caress is it then

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6666_Ranch

And it's owned by Taylor Sheridan, the colon through which all these ideas flow.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

And thus the popculture thread spreads itself thinner.

On one side, there are the movie dude that are forced to have opinion about Micky Mouse Flicks when they want to discuss the cinematography of some foreign flick;

and then you have the pop culture die hards that are starting to feel like they have to watch Yellow Stone, because Yellowstone is becoming 2020's Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and CSI/NCSI, catapulted with the cultural zeitgeist of harry potter, star wars, cape poo poo for the dying rural/boomer America.

Sure you might be saying all the "pop culture" stuff sells merchandise, but the real power of pop culture is its ability to guide people with massive voting/cash sway.
It doesn't matter how much money you spend on funco pops; the mythology of the small hardworking rural farmer is worth billions in government subsidies.

this is the thread for saying if you liked the movie you just watched

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
cattle ranching in 6666 AD would probably be rad as gently caress. airspeeders zoom through platforms high above the clouds, suspended by gravi-pulse engines. lightning clouds in the distance give off a faint flash; their methane-capturing nano-traps have reversed climate change and allowed bovine agriculture to survive into its 15th millennium. a lone airspeeder zooms over the five hundred kilometer wide platform of Neo Montana; the distinct smell of manure and musty straw fills the cockpit, even six hundred meters above the surface. finally the speeder slows, its nuclear reactor quietly thrumming as the landing pads make contact with the surface

I tried to end this with a joke but I don't know any Yellowstone references

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

this is the thread for saying if you liked the movie you just watched

This. Is. C-spam!
*Kicks you down a hole.*

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im trying to find something funny to watch and am getting annoyed because nothing thats supposed to be funny is actually funny its just kind of interesting at best but im not laughing

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

im trying to find something funny to watch and am getting annoyed because nothing thats supposed to be funny is actually funny its just kind of interesting at best but im not laughing

i really love smiling friends

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

can i suggest watching old WKUK compilations on youtube and/or antidepressants?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Storyliving: A place where all of your humanity is slowly cut away from you until you became a 2d construct used to tell a story greater than yourself, or as we like to call it, a CHARACTER!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

can i suggest watching old WKUK compilations on youtube and/or antidepressants?

why is whitest kids you know only available in disembodied youtube clip form did somebodys dog eat the contract that explains who owns the streaming rights

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

isn't this already a thing in Celebration, Florida? the name "storyliving" makes it sound like you're gonna be living in a star wars-themed apartment building or something but the concept art looks like a town with just General Disney Vibes, which is basically what Celebration is. sounds pretty hellish either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

they couldnt make celebration work as anything other than a retirement community and they sold it off iirc. this new thing is obviously aimed at all those reddit couples who have annual passes to disneyland