Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Played through the prologue last night and had an amusing thought today while reflecting on how the controls feel (very, very bad without exception so far) - this is the first game since Red Star for the PS2 where I've felt like analog sticks would actually improve the gameplay experience. I don't have a controller to test that theory, but as someone who's rejected several critically acclaimed console-original series solely on the basis of their poor MKB implementations, having an MMO of all things provoke that reaction is unexpected to say the least! Is the game actually a) playable, b) decent on a gamepad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Is there a good island token guide? I have for some reason decided getting enough island tokens for the turtle ship skin is my goal for when I'm waiting for reset, and google is flooded with clickbait blog bullshit right now

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
The game which I'm still exploring really goes off the rails after taking back the throne

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Good Citizen posted:

Is there a good island token guide? I have for some reason decided getting enough island tokens for the turtle ship skin is my goal for when I'm waiting for reset, and google is flooded with clickbait blog bullshit right now

This only goes to 20 idk if that's enough for the skin

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Good Citizen posted:

https://papunika.com/island-hearts/
Papunika is quite good for this stuff. It has maps with all the mokoko seeds and hidden quests etc for adventure tome completion too.

e: ^^^^ You get the skin for collecting 80 out of a possible 95 so it's a pretty long term goal and will take way longer than getting the 20 fastest ones for the skill point potion. A lot of the island tokens are gated behind daily quest progress, and some require 1000+ ilvl.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 17, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SkyeAuroline posted:

Played through the prologue last night and had an amusing thought today while reflecting on how the controls feel (very, very bad without exception so far) - this is the first game since Red Star for the PS2 where I've felt like analog sticks would actually improve the gameplay experience. I don't have a controller to test that theory, but as someone who's rejected several critically acclaimed console-original series solely on the basis of their poor MKB implementations, having an MMO of all things provoke that reaction is unexpected to say the least! Is the game actually a) playable, b) decent on a gamepad?

A friend of mine has played through level 40 or so last I checked using a gamepad due to his crippling boneitis. He said it's actually pretty great!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

explosivo posted:

A friend of mine has played through level 40 or so last I checked using a gamepad due to his crippling boneitis. He said it's actually pretty great!

I’m level 40 something and have been using the game pad almost exclusively. I’ll grab the mouse sometimes but it’s almost all gamepad use

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I saw this line and laughed too

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

MarcusSA posted:

I’m level 40 something and have been using the game pad almost exclusively. I’ll grab the mouse sometimes but it’s almost all gamepad use

I'm almost ilvl1000 and I only use my trackpad for inventory management and sailing navigation. I'm sure gamepad sucks for some classes but for sharpshooter it has been great

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
Got my sick new T1 purple gear, smashed my blue gear into it. Rad, set bonuses! Go to upgrade, oh no, 10% chance to fail upgrades. Clicked on my weapon to upgrade with the last of my mats, said out loud "This is going to fail" and it did. gently caress this game.
I've been enjoying my time for the most part, other than the stupid loving guardian HP sponges. And now the game is just laughing at me for the time I spent doing extra chaos dungeons. Kinda irritated now :(

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I went 1-50 on scrapper with an xbox controller only using m&k for inventory/menu management and it felt like I was playing streets of rage or some poo poo. It was great.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

acumen posted:

I went 1-50 on scrapper with an xbox controller only using m&k for inventory/menu management and it felt like I was playing streets of rage or some poo poo. It was great.

Thank you for this

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Rotten posted:

Got my sick new T1 purple gear, smashed my blue gear into it. Rad, set bonuses! Go to upgrade, oh no, 10% chance to fail upgrades. Clicked on my weapon to upgrade with the last of my mats, said out loud "This is going to fail" and it did. gently caress this game.
I've been enjoying my time for the most part, other than the stupid loving guardian HP sponges. And now the game is just laughing at me for the time I spent doing extra chaos dungeons. Kinda irritated now :(

It's best to accept that failing to upgrade is a huge part of the game. You will fail a lot, constantly, just all the time. Each time you fail it becomes more likely to succeed on that piece, so think of it as pissing mats into it until it is guaranteed to succeed, and if you succeed early, well that's just lucky.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's best to accept that failing to upgrade is a huge part of the game. You will fail a lot, constantly, just all the time. Each time you fail it becomes more likely to succeed on that piece, so think of it as pissing mats into it until it is guaranteed to succeed, and if you succeed early, well that's just lucky.

Yeah, at first I was pretty pissed, then realized they have mats in cash store, so that makes sense for a f2p.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Rotten posted:

Yeah, at first I was pretty pissed, then realized they have mats in cash store, so that makes sense for a f2p.

eh, it's just a part of the game, the gambling aspect is a big thing. The mats in the store are intended as a way to balance out the gold economy, since you can directly convert between blue crystals/golds/mats via the AH and currency exchange. Mari's secret store basically regulates the economy, eventually. I mean it's all hosed up on NA/EU right now of course, but that's what it does in Korea.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Lynx Winters posted:

For the folks like me who were confused where you get the 20 Class Engraving books, you get them from three side quests after the Luterra castle siege.

The big one is the quest chain Memories of Luterra, which you get from Theo who is standing behind the throne at the castle, look for the purple quest mark. The chain will get you 15 of the 20 books you need.

Aside from that, you get the rest from Knight To Be Remembered, at the PvP spot north of the castle entrance, which gives you three books for clicking on four statues.

After that, you unlock Song of the People, from a bard lady in town not far from the castle entrance. You get two books for clicking on some nearby people.

Once that's done you'll have enough to unlock one Class Engraving, and like other folks said you can equip it to both slots on your sheet to get the level 1 effect, or just save it for later because levelling isn't that hard without it.

I just spend 30 minutes looking into this, I only got the last 5 at level 30 and was confused.. It seems the first one with 15 books you're talking about is only available near the end of the main quest which is nowhere near the end of the Luterra castle siege when you can do the other two. You can't use it for leveling as you'll be pretty much 50 at that point I guess.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

My pets are named BunBun, PupPup, and CheepCheep. I have a theme going

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

My stronghold is the glorious castle of Armensux.

Because Armen sucks.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Plus it lets you use your pet to repair gear and access your stash in the field.
And the +1 rapport actions is presumably nice if you get the ignea token brainworms and are trying to max out npc rapport in a region to 100% its adventurer tome, since that's heavily realtime gated.
(You get a skill point potion for collecting 8 ignea tokens from 100%ing 8 continents so if you want to have an ~optimal build~ you will eventually need to suffer through that crap).

Fair enough I guess I could see that being useful later.

As a note to anyone who levelled a character to 26ish in order to pvp: You have to buy awakening shards from the general merchant in order to use your awakening skill

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm currently in the process of spelling out the word 'gently caress' with hedges on my stronghold

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What mats do you guys get on your alts from the Una quests? The good poo poo all seems bound.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Bussamove posted:

My stronghold is the glorious castle of Armensux.

Because Armen sucks.

Every time I see Armen's name I can't help but think of Armin Arlert from Attack on Titan.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

fadam posted:

What mats do you guys get on your alts from the Una quests? The good poo poo all seems bound.

The bound mats are still good so you can boost your alt's ilvl even while funneling other mats to main. Plus you get the roster XP and rep.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
I did my first abyss dungeon and whoa that was fun as gently caress and also people are really good at dying. Given that you can just respawn right outside the boss room it doesn't matter much.

Guardian bosses seem ok, it's kinda weird not seeing a healthbar but alright. Chaos dungeon is hilarious AOE fest, very good for blowing off steam. I hit :420: ilvl and noticed some jewelry in my inventory that would let me activate level 2 of my class engraving. :hellyeah:

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

These Abyss dungeons are probably too difficult. Insta-wipe mechanics with like 1.5 seconds to react to are a little ridiculous.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Streaming more Lost Ark tonight. https://www.twitch.tv/omgitsbees getting closer to affiliate status on Twitch too. :3:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Apparently this is a thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3TUT5F_e68

TLDR: If you powerpass an alt before your main has gone through their first awakening quest, the main automatically finishes their awakening quest, and instead, after talking the first person or whomever you need to talk to in your awakening questline, the quest automatically finishes. The game won't tell you, but you need to talk to Beatrice to get the items for your awakening. Nice speedrun strat but also buggy as hell. This happened to me, and I was completely confused.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Man the 460 abyssal dungeon is so painful with pugs. Just going to absolutely wreck so many people.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Rotten posted:

The honing system is absolutely horrible and I say that as someone who really, really likes this game and is currently about ~50 or so ilvl from tier 2.

It's horrible that it can fail, and it's horrible that you can spend real money to reduce the odds of it failing. The percent for failure keeps going up by the way so if you think 10% fail rate is bad, LOL you are in for a bad time.

I think this game is really good but the farther you get into it, the more harsh the fail mechanics and time sinks become, and I'm worried it's going to turn me off the game, and perhaps in general, turn off the western audience.

iirc gear has at least a 30% base chance to fail before you even get to tier 2.

e: by the way it really loving sucks that if your client crashes and there's a queue, it's not like WoW where it reserves your place for a few minutes. Even if you jump directly back in you are RIGHT back into the rear end end of a multi thousand person queue. That is probably extra fun if it happens in the middle of group content.

Taima fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 17, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Did some Chaos dungeons for the first time with my friend tonight and those are fun as gently caress and exactly what I wanted; repeatable quick dungeons with huge mobs of enemies to explode with your friends.

Bard fuckin' rules at this stage, goddamn.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Gamers are a fickle bunch.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Chaos dungeons are intentionally super casual, fast, and fun. It's only really worthwhile to do 2x a day though.

That's kind of your baseline content. Then you have guardian raids which are really easy initially and can get somewhat, kinda tricky later sometimes. Those are also capped at 2x a day.

Then you have Abyss Dungeons which aren't too bad but suck to pug (at least this early in the game) because a lot of people go into them without knowing the mechanics, and one person can and will wipe your entire party. You can do each Abyss Dungeon once per week. They are fairly short if you can do the mechanics, decidedly NOT short if you wipe a bunch.

Taima fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 17, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was going to ask about the 2x a day thing, I could tell there's a mechanic there to make it not worthwhile but it let us do it over and over and we were still getting honing mats so it seemed worth it?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah it still gives you stuff, but it's generally accepted (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that it's no longer "worth your time" in the sense that you should be doing the other group content, and islands.

Generally a day's work would look like:

- 2x progressively "harder" chaos dungeon (it's not hard)
- 2x progressively more difficult guardian raids, they are probably my favorite content because I love Monster hunter but YMMV
- Cap Abyss Raids
- islands, Tower, Cube when you have entrance, other incidental content you need to do like finishing the story.

That's not a hard order or anything, for instance you would typically run islands to get a good level to start abyss dungeons, but that's generally the overall plan

Taima fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 17, 2022

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Hemish posted:

I just spend 30 minutes looking into this, I only got the last 5 at level 30 and was confused.. It seems the first one with 15 books you're talking about is only available near the end of the main quest which is nowhere near the end of the Luterra castle siege when you can do the other two. You can't use it for leveling as you'll be pretty much 50 at that point I guess.

I did it before I even got my boat. The prince said something about talking to Theo, and then a proper mask appeared over Theo.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
made some good progress on my quest to get real pants, 50% there

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Taima posted:

The honing system is absolutely horrible and I say that as someone who really, really likes this game and is currently about ~50 or so ilvl from tier 2.

It's horrible that it can fail, and it's horrible that you can spend real money to reduce the odds of it failing. The percent for failure keeps going up by the way so if you think 10% fail rate is bad, LOL you are in for a bad time.

I think this game is really good but the farther you get into it, the more harsh the fail mechanics and time sinks become, and I'm worried it's going to turn me off the game, and perhaps in general, turn off the western audience.

iirc gear has at least a 30% base chance to fail before you even get to tier 2.

e: by the way it really loving sucks that if your client crashes and there's a queue, it's not like WoW where it reserves your place for a few minutes. Even if you jump directly back in you are RIGHT back into the rear end end of a multi thousand person queue. That is probably extra fun if it happens in the middle of group content.

The failures are definitely really bad in the upper part of even T1. They should have gone with it being guaranateed but a 5 or 10 item level increase at the top half of each tier instead of failures for the western audience. Only upgrading 1-2 items a day after funneling feels really bad.

Similarly, the knowledge transfers after Vern are completely worthless and there's no reason for them to even exist. The Vern Knowledge transfer is great. Skip leveling and get 302 gear. Fantastic! After that, they literally just let you skip 2-4 hours of story quests but you still have to grind out the gear on that character to even do the transfer. Really bad design.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Still working my way through the story and having just cleared Heart of Sceptrum in Arthetine, just, goddamn, I didn't expect it but I'm coming around on this whole Lost Ark story thing.

Not because the story is anything special really but I cannot help but be engaged by how completely balls-to-the-wall over-the-top this game can be sometimes. I got a sense of this manic creative energy lurking below the surface back in Anikka when they decided to add flashy intros before each fight in the tournament which was pretty goddamn extra but then you get to the next continent and it really kicks into high gear. While I'm still reeling from the thematic shifts of this game between medieval peasant misery simulator -> pirate adventure on the high seas -> kung fu tournament arc -> literally midgar from FF7 I walk into this dungeon and they hand me a straight up battlemech. Just riding a battlemech through a massive sci-fi landscape. I was breaking a castle siege 20 hours ago how did I get here???

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I still can't decide if I'm into the game or not between the slow kinda boring start and not being 100% sure on my first choice of Sharpshooter. I keep bouncing off after really short play sessions but that could also just be Me Problems rather than the game itself honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
nah, early game was a snorefest and i would feel sleepy after a 2hr session. after luterra castle things opened up to me a bit more and gave me motivation to blast past it, got a ship and now the world is my oyster theoretically, but in reality it's hiding the main quest and following the world quest theme park ride instead.

also, lol and lmao at another maintenance during OCE prime time