Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

You can apparently spare bosses instead of killing them to unlock a different ending.
Break their structure in their second phase, let them recover, then break it again

I've currently got a 21 year old run of stage 1, going to try and get that to 20 years old/spare boss!

Also for those of you who only browse via bookmarks, there's a Sifu thread here that's seeing some posting https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3992998

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What is this Age thing about Sifu? The OP doesn't explain anything about the game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Scalding Coffee posted:

What is this Age thing about Sifu? The OP doesn't explain anything about the game.

When you die you get revived a year older. If you die more than once without reducing your death counter (by defeating a difficult enemy or paying to reduce it at a shrine) you age progressively faster. If you die in your 70s it's game over.

Oh yeah also the older you are the smaller your hp pool becomes while your strikes become more powerful.

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 9, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't understand the Club boss. Are they trying to win an award for the most tedious fight? Having to repeat the same pattern dozens of times to get a tiny slice of damage in is annoying. Am I supposed to spec purely for Focus gain to get in powerful attacks? Do I have to try risking parrying to lower his structure?

Lobok fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 9, 2022

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
ok so day 1 progress for me is I've managed to beat stage 1 at age 20 a couple times, and I can get through club reliably around middle 40s. But I think I unlocked the secret code to his dumb rear end

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I can't wait to hit the point where I can go through the entire game kicking the poo poo out of all and sundry getting the W in old man mode.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

New character trailer for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge dropped.
It's Splinter, as everyone predicted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R0yCBJ5Qas

Guessing/hoping we'll get Casey Jones to round the group out.

The game looks great in motion, can only hope that it plays as well.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

For those who might be interested, pre-orders are up for Bitmap Books' new beat em up guide book Go Straight: The Ultimate Guide to Side Scrolling Beat 'Em Ups. Books start shipping out 25/02.
https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/products/go-straight-the-ultimate-guide-to-side-scrolling-beat-em-ups

I've got a couple of Bitmap's other books and they're gorgeous and well made. I've been waiting for this for ages since it was announced, very excited to see a genre that doesn't get a ton of focus/attention these days get some love and to find a few new games to try out of the write ups in the book.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 15, 2022

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Mode 7 posted:

For those who might be interested, pre-orders are up for Bitmap Books' new beat em up guide book Go Straight: The Ultimate Guide to Side Scrolling Beat 'Em Ups. Books start shipping out 25/02.
https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/products/go-straight-the-ultimate-guide-to-side-scrolling-beat-em-ups

I've got a couple of Bitmap's other books and they're gorgeous and well made. I've been waiting for this for ages since it was announced, very excited to see a genre that doesn't get a ton of focus/attention these days get the some love and to find a few new games to try out of the write ups in the book.

just came here to post this! Seconding Bitmap Books, I have their point n' click adventure games book and it's fabulous

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Lobok posted:

I don't understand the Club boss. Are they trying to win an award for the most tedious fight? Having to repeat the same pattern dozens of times to get a tiny slice of damage in is annoying. Am I supposed to spec purely for Focus gain to get in powerful attacks? Do I have to try risking parrying to lower his structure?

I found parrying to be easy enough to do the first phase without dying, and when he does the three horizontal swings you can avoid them with a down dodge so you don’t overload your structure.

For the second phase he extends his combos but will still frequently use the horizontal swings that can be punished. One thing that got me a lot was his shoulder charge-into-sweep. If you try to dodge down you get wrecked, but if you just block it’s fine. If you get used to the timing and can step over the sweep he’ll be even easier.

I beat Sifu with the good, spare all the bosses ending over the weekend and it really was an amazing game. I think I ended in my 40s with about half the skills permanently unlocked. The museum is a great stage for its visuals and presentation, but it is easily my worst for the full run. Thankfully you can go right to the boss but if you are trying to bank shine upgrades for the last two stages it’s a tough battle. There are some collectibles I’m missing and a key for one of the later stages is still greyed out, but I feel like I got the core experience rung out of it. Really solid, highly recommended.

e: one note about doing the non-lethal boss fights is that their structure will slowly heal based on their remaining health (like in Sekiro). But bosses also can vary their behavior to be more aggressive at lower health. If you can deal about a 1/3 of health damage it goes a long way to filling the stagger bar faster, and then once you stagger them once you can go a little more hard since the stagger bar will likely fill again before they run out of health.

I played through the whole thing before I realized there was a non-violent option, then I immediately went back through and did them again. There is a shrine upgrade that deals more structure damage on a successful parry and if I were going to start over I would have invested in it (the most expensive upgrade that requires a high level score) early so the last fight wasn’t so dicey.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 15, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LawfulWaffle posted:

I found parrying to be easy enough to do the first phase without dying, and when he does the three horizontal swings you can avoid them with a down dodge so you don’t overload your structure.

For the second phase he extends his combos but will still frequently use the horizontal swings that can be punished. One thing that got me a lot was his shoulder charge-into-sweep. If you try to dodge down you get wrecked, but if you just block it’s fine. If you get used to the timing and can step over the sweep he’ll be even easier.

The shoulder charge gets me a lot. In general with this game I need to get better at just straight-up guarding because I try to avoid every hit but some attacks just come out so quickly I am not fast enough to avoid, like his shoulder charge or his fully outstretched staff poke.

And that's the thing, he's not inherently super hard and he doesn't hit like a truck but because of the length of the fight he wears me down when I'm not perfectly avoiding or dodging. I have made it to the museum since then but I have to massively improve my Club run to have a chance to beat the game.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 15, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

River City Girls Zero is out now on the Nintendo eShop. Still "coming soon" to PC/PS4/PS5/XB1/XBS|X but with no date given yet for the digital version. A physical edition for PS5 is up at Limited Run Games and appears to be releasing later this year, so some time between now and then! :v

For anyone who hasn't been following it, this is a port of the SNES Kunio-kun game Shin Nekketsu Koha: Kunio-tachi no Banka which hasn't previously had an English release. It was the first appearance of Misako and Kyoko. The gameplay hasn't been changed, but the port adds a motion comic opening and ending, animated intro, and some new music by Megan McDuffee and DEMONDICE.

Launch trailer here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfARMx7RxSQ

I like Kunio-kun games well enough so I'll probably pick this up.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I listened to Mean Street earlier and it was pretty good. I assume the new music is just for the title and credits?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Man, how is Streets of Rage 4 so loving good?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mainly it seems because a lot of actual thought was put into how the mechanics work and make for a fun and interesting game. None of the systems feel perfunctory and there's a lot of choice with character selection and how you approach any given encounter. Even with all the recoloring going on with enemies, there is strong characterization in making each enemy feel unique. Stage design also helps a lot in terms of what groups of enemies they throw at you in each section, making none of it feel rote or like you're just doing the same thing over and over again. The weakest part in stage design, to me, seem to be one part where the stage has no vertical motion, but even that part is relatively short and can at least be excused that the developers were going for variety. Otherwise the only real issue I have is the fact that alternate moves are earned through the survival mode, which can be a bit random and feels pretty grindy because the only real progress is unlocking stuff-- which you don't even get to use or try out until the next time you play a mode.

Otherwise I feel like SoR4 was made by a team that not only liked the specific Streets of Rage series, but also Beat 'Em Ups in general and learned the lessons from the wide history of the genre on what makes a good and entertaining game.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Never heard of sifu until this thread. Looks awesome.

Why the gently caress is this not on Xbox!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Something that I think makes not just SOR4 but the entire Streets of Rage series superior for me is character. From the second game onwards they took an almost fighting game level approach to making the roster visually appealing, diverse and distinct without being so complex that you couldn’t still mash and have a good time. There are so many forgettable beatemups where your character is just a dude with no special moves or unique flavor whatsoever and it’s so lame compared to a game where you can play as a kid on rollerblades, a professional wrestler, and a scientist with robot arms. Even their basic combos communicate everything you need to know about the character such that everybody can see something cool. This is something that Lizardcube and co. completely picked up on in SOR4. Every single aspect of the character designs and animations give you something to identify with, for both the new and returning roster. Riot Grrl with a guitar, buff cop lady with grenades, even details like Axel’s beard all tell a little story. Streets of Rage totally gets that people want to embody characters instead of blank vessels, which is one reason why it’s always been a step above its contemporaries for me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mode 7 posted:

River City Girls Zero is out now on the Nintendo eShop. Still "coming soon" to PC/PS4/PS5/XB1/XBS|X but with no date given yet for the digital version. A physical edition for PS5 is up at Limited Run Games and appears to be releasing later this year, so some time between now and then! :v

For anyone who hasn't been following it, this is a port of the SNES Kunio-kun game Shin Nekketsu Koha: Kunio-tachi no Banka which hasn't previously had an English release. It was the first appearance of Misako and Kyoko. The gameplay hasn't been changed, but the port adds a motion comic opening and ending, animated intro, and some new music by Megan McDuffee and DEMONDICE.

Launch trailer here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfARMx7RxSQ

I like Kunio-kun games well enough so I'll probably pick this up.

Its...............gone?

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/river-city-girls-zero-switch/

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Probably the best place to ask this. How does Final Fight 1-3 stack up against Streets of Rage 1-3 or even things like Turtle in time which are among my favorite beat 'em ups? Thinking of picking them up if they're any good.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Probably the best place to ask this. How does Final Fight 1-3 stack up against Streets of Rage 1-3 or even things like Turtle in time which are among my favorite beat 'em ups? Thinking of picking them up if they're any good.

The Final Fight series is pretty rough, especially by 3 the lack of what they had the time/budget for were really showing through and with no Arcade companion versions it really feels to me like unrealized potential. Comparing directly to the SoR series, I think they lack overall in combat variety and comparing to Turtles in Time, you're not going to get as much visual flair. Even just using the SNES version and discounting the Arcade one.

I really like the original arcade game, and Final Fight 2 and 3 were fun enough for me to play through and occasionally I've gone back to play them again, but I'm not sure that they'd be quite what you're looking for.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Final Fight 1's graphics are way better than Streets of Rage 1's as FF1 was created for the arcade and SOR1 was created for the Genesis. That said, I feel that FF1 definitely feels like an arcade game in that it wants your quarters and it wants a lot of them. Enemies aren't afraid to swarm you in mobs of 8 (something consoles couldn't handle), kick you while you're down and have one or two punks stunlock you while the other four run you down. Or have their bosses murder you by spamming attacks with way too many i-frames. Being an early beat-em-up, you don't really have a large repertoire of options yet. The SNES version of FF1 was kind of infamous for not having two player mode and having one of the characters (and one stage and boss) removed. Contrast that to the first SOR, which looked way more primitive, but at least had two player mode and even team attacks and an alternative ending that required two players.

Final Fight 2 for the SNES felt less like a sequel (contrast that to SOR2, which was a massive evolution over SOR1) and more like an international mission pack. It played pretty much the same, you had the same moveset as before (except quick-but-weak-off-the-wall-kicker Guy was replaced by his sister Maki and balanced-unit-who-could-use-knives-as-melee-weapons Cody was replaced by Carlos, who noone's heard of ever since), except this time you did have two player mode and the boss who was cut from the SNES version of the first game, Rolento, was implemented into this game.

Final Fight 3 was to the first games what SOR2 was to SOR1. A massive upgrade in terms of features and playing style. I personally enjoyed the first SOR games more than the first two FF games, despite acknowledging FF1's impact on the genre, but the third game stands on its own quite well. It has both two player mode as well as 1 player mode with AI partner. It has alternative routes through levels. On level 3, for example, you can either take the tram to the junkyard and fight a boss there, or you can throw an enemy into the tram stop to destroy it, causing the tram to pass you by and making you walk to your destination through the harbor. Level 5 has doors in the background you can open by throwing enemies into them, which allow you to skip the last part of the stage.

Also, the movesets received a major upgrade. There's four characters now and all of them feel very different in terms of playing style. All of them can dash, do a quick hop back, have blitz attacks, special weapon combos, command grabs, running combo's, you can switch from a front grab to a back grab and use different throws and there's a SSF2T-like super meter that builds up as you hit stuff and when it's full you can unleash a SSF2T-like supercombo that's very likely to murder whatever it connects with. The game has a very SF2-like feel anyway. Guy has a hadoken-like palm strike that's triggered by quarter circle forward attack, Lucia has Chun-Li's rising bird kick that takes enemies up into the air if you can pull it's shoryuken-motion off and Haggar's super feels a lot like the Final Atomic Buster, if FAB also knocked down everything else on the screen.

Yeah, I had a lot of fun with the last game and feel it compares very well to TMNT:Turtles in Time and the later SOR-games.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 16, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thank you for the thorough reviews! I'll look into Final Fight 3 if anything. That multiple path thing sounds neat. The legit combo system may be a bit much for me to handle however, still I like the sound of it.

I'm also close to getting Fight 'N Rage on the Switch since it's available for a tenner, but I agree with the OP on the graphical style. It also seems way harder than I'm prepared for.

The only new beat 'em up I've played a ton of is Streets of Rage 4, which is pretty much perfect. I love how accessible the game is. It's very easy to play on lower difficulties and it gets harder but in very fair and reasonable ways. If you die, you know you messed up, not that the game was being cheap. It's a problem where I'm actively comparing every game to it, and if it doesn't hold up, then I don't want to bother. I can play SoR4 survival mode forever, it's so fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I’m really hoping that Shredder’s Revenge can bring it because I don’t want SOR4 to be the only good beatemup for another 10 years like SORR was.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Thinking about Final fight and SOR, has anyone tried Final Fight LNS? It was apparently made on the Open Beats of Rage engine, and I'm hesitant to try it because it looks like a huge MUGEN clusterfuck.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I’m really hoping that Shredder’s Revenge can bring it because I don’t want SOR4 to be the only good beatemup for another 10 years like SORR was.

It's already not because Sifu exists. :colbert:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

It's already not because Sifu exists. :colbert:

Sadly that seems to be on EGS only rn. But still, waiting a year is better than ten!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Something else to keep an eye on this year; Numskull Games have announced Final Vendetta releasing May 2022 on Steam, Switch, XB1/XBS|X, PS4/PS5. Physical editions via Limited Run Games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz7avU8Y4Xk

Doesn't seem to be doing anything particularly innovative but the pixel art is nice. Feels very Final Fight by way of SOR's art style.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Doing some digging, it's actually looking like a pretty packed year for the beat em up genre, particularly if River City Girls 2 sticks with its 2022 release date.

Jitsu Squad is March 8th (for PC, consoles are "later in 2022")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUiH4YCnG4M

I'm less excited about this one, the art is very stylish but the huge amount of sprites and effects going everywhere is giving me flashbacks to the bad parts of the most recent Battletoads. The devs touting bullet points like "500+ chain-combos" and "infinite juggles" makes me worry the enemies are going to be masses of very time consuming damage sponges.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Totally agree with the art comments on Jitsu Squad. It's so visually messy in action (even if the individual sprites look pretty great) and the player's character seems to get lost really easily, especially with what looks like costume switches for different moves.

For Final Vendetta the gameplay looks mostly fantastic, (those kickflips from Sancho and Sparks look a bit suspect) but that announcer is dire and the other graphics are of questionable quality. If the gameplay is good though neither of those things matter. Also shout out to the woman with no hips who forgot to wear pants.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

After being exposed to so much gorgeous SoR4 visuals, I'll be honest, I'm a bit put off by the normal pixel art of the turtle game.
It's a shame they didn't use the same art style really.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

After being exposed to so much gorgeous SoR4 visuals, I'll be honest, I'm a bit put off by the normal pixel art of the turtle game.
It's a shame they didn't use the same art style really.

They share a publisher, but it's a different studio making that game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Potsticker posted:

They share a publisher, but it's a different studio making that game.

Oh, I see. For some reason I thought it was the same developer. :downs:

In that case, I wonder what the SoR4 people are up to right now.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

They released Windjammers 2 very recently.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

With any luck, wresting Street Fighter VI from Capcom's grotesque claymation animators.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

KonvexKonkav posted:

They released Windjammers 2 very recently.

Nah, that was a different team again:

SOR4 was co-developed by Lizardcube (who did the Wonder Boy 3 remake) and Guard Crush Games (whose previous work was a goofy digitised sprite brawler/fighting game called Streets of Fury)

Windjammers 2 was the first game made by Dotemu's own internal team

Shredder's Revenge is by Tribute Games (lots of indie games, most famously Mercenary Kings, and their previous works before forming Tribute include the Scott Pilgrim game and the well-regarded GBA TMNT brawler from 2007)

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider

Mode 7 posted:

Something else to keep an eye on this year; Numskull Games have announced Final Vendetta releasing May 2022 on Steam, Switch, XB1/XBS|X, PS4/PS5. Physical editions via Limited Run Games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz7avU8Y4Xk

Doesn't seem to be doing anything particularly innovative but the pixel art is nice. Feels very Final Fight by way of SOR's art style.

I remember getting 1CC clears of Vendetta in the arcade back in the day with my last quarter after playing fighting games with the homies. I hope it has the fun items like buckets, bricks and shotguns.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider

Potsticker posted:

Thinking about Final fight and SOR, has anyone tried Final Fight LNS? It was apparently made on the Open Beats of Rage engine, and I'm hesitant to try it because it looks like a huge MUGEN clusterfuck.

I played a lot of FF LNS last year (maybe the year before that, who knows these days) and had a good time. If you like Capcom fighting games or other Capcom beat em ups then its pretty entertaining tearing things up with them and doing sick combos or broken stuff.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

ReVerve posted:

I remember getting 1CC clears of Vendetta in the arcade back in the day with my last quarter after playing fighting games with the homies. I hope it has the fun items like buckets, bricks and shotguns.

Not a sequel unfortunately, though if I remember right the devs did say they took some minor inspiration from Vendetta for their ground attacks

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They also took major inspiration from a ton of Neogeo sprites, from the looks of that trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Mode 7 posted:

Not a sequel unfortunately, though if I remember right the devs did say they took some minor inspiration from Vendetta for their ground attacks

drat, Vendetta had some pretty amazing interactions for a brawler