Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

opengl128 posted:

this made me remember during the height of :rice: you could buy little 12v computer fans to stick in the intake being sold as electric superchargers, lol.

In a turn of events that I would have 1000% called bullshit on in the 1998-2004 timeframe, no-poo poo electric superchargers are now a real thing that actually makes sense to use in certain situations.

I still occasionally see cars with fake blowoff valve noises coming from a speaker behind the grille, so :rice: is alive and well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The arguments between the merits of fiberglass and carbon fiber still ring in my head.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Got it on the ground and took it for a short shakedown. Exhaust sounds great, the blowoff valve makes the right noises, and the supercharger has just the right amount of whine. Cooling system has some air in it, but that'll sort itself out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrYenko posted:

In a turn of events that I would have 1000% called bullshit on in the 1998-2004 timeframe, no-poo poo electric superchargers are now a real thing that actually makes sense to use in certain situations.

How and in what circumstances? Are they using a battery bank as a hybrid regen sink to recharge when less than a certain amount of engine power is being asked for and used for fill in/additional power temporarily under high loads? That seems super complicated, especially for engine management.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MrYenko posted:

So it’ll actually be able to get out of its own way now?

Nice!

Which flavor Honda is it? I know them by reputation, just not by sight.

It is a K24A out of a Japanese Accord, pretty much the same thing as the K24A2 that came in our Acura TSX version 1.0. It should make in the 220-225whp area with a 50* VTC gear and the necessitated header / intake manifold.
The car is currently TVS1320 supercharged and makes between 320whp and 360whp depending on pulley and tune I have flashed. It is a handful on track and would likely pop this season if I continued to run it.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'll take "pictures that made me wish I had an address outside of Maricopa county for $1000", Alex.

Mmm, yes, that would be convenient :) We will see what happens come renewal time.

BigPaddy posted:

I remember all the hype about the GT86/BRZ and how the aftermarket was going to support the engine. Had a guy at an old job who put in an electric supercharger on one and didn’t understand why I was laughing at him.

I mean, the support is there but the problem is that the motors tend to eventually pop on track, the stock transmission starts to get iffy above like 200lbft if you've got grip, and the stock ECU tuning is kind of a black box with vendor lock-in and weird quirks due to needing to keep the factory stuff happy.

I started moving around numbers in terms of the swap cost and what I'd have to sell off, it made sense so here we are. I should have kept my Miata.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 13, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Hm, or I managed to put the TB gasket on cockeyed? i reseated everything and there's no leak now. Just need to fill and burp coolant and brakes now :c00l:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

EvilBeard posted:

Got it on the ground and took it for a short shakedown. Exhaust sounds great, the blowoff valve makes the right noises, and the supercharger has just the right amount of whine. Cooling system has some air in it, but that'll sort itself out.

So it's making boost now like it should?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Motronic posted:

How and in what circumstances? Are they using a battery bank as a hybrid regen sink to recharge when less than a certain amount of engine power is being asked for and used for fill in/additional power temporarily under high loads? That seems super complicated, especially for engine management.

Pretty much. Having driven one, it sure does work though. Owning one outside of warranty would make for a wonderful project thread.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a19479730/nine-things-you-must-know-about-the-new-mercedes-inline-six/

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 13, 2022

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Motronic posted:

Audi has one to fill in torque before the turbos spool in the SQ7 TDI. Its a 9hp motor running on 48VDC from the 470wh hybrid (mild hybrid, as in “hybrid enough to be called a hybrid but we’re really just using it as an excuse for a 48v electrical system for the suspension”) battery. It also uses sequential turbos with fully-separated exhaust ports and exhaust valves on the high-boost turbo port that don’t open until needed. It’s a pretty ridiculous engine, and a pretty ridiculous vehicle. The electric supercharger is really just scratching the surface of the weird poo poo that thing does.

So ya, super complicated. :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lol, fill in for twin turbo boost lag. It's even more complicated/insane that I had imagined :)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

MrYenko posted:

I still occasionally see cars with fake blowoff valve noises coming from a speaker behind the grille, so :rice: is alive and well.

Seriously? The PO of my truck put on fake twopiece rims and I thought that was tacky (and I left them, because I'm cheap). But that's just sad,if you're putting a speaker under the hood at least have it make angry clown noises or something fun.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
OK so, refilled the coolant and it was fine for a minute. No heat, upper hose is hot, lower hose is still cold. Figure I have an air bubble behind the thermo....I did disconnect a lot of coolant hoses getting the manifold off. Best bet is to let it cool, run without the thermo until it burps, then reinstall? Or is there a better way?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

OK so, refilled the coolant and it was fine for a minute. No heat, upper hose is hot, lower hose is still cold. Figure I have an air bubble behind the thermo....I did disconnect a lot of coolant hoses getting the manifold off. Best bet is to let it cool, run without the thermo until it burps, then reinstall? Or is there a better way?

It can take a you've got to be kidding me amount of time for a Honda bseries to get up to 180+.

If there's a thing on the thermostat housing that looks like a brake bleeder nipple it is but for the cooling system. Crack that (carefully and not under pressure) to burp air.

Also rasing the front end with a jack can help convince the air that the radiator is the best place to go.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Panty Saluter posted:

I usually just let it warm up on stands or ramps so the fill is the high point in the system. Them keep filling when the tstat opens until full. Or use those slick no spill funnels that basically does it for you.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Well Torque put it at 220+ and coolant was backing up out of the filler so I decided to nix it. :v: I didn't think the car had a bleeder on the thermo but I will look for it, thanks!

e: normally this car is stupid easy to fill and burp so i got concerned. nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks it takes forever for the drat thing to heat up too. Although I had no heat? so maybe another issue

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 13, 2022

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

use those slick no spill funnels that basically does it for you.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Suburban Dad posted:

I usually just let it warm up on stands or ramps so the fill is the high point in the system. Them keep filling when the tstat opens until full. Or use those slick no spill funnels that basically does it for you.

Those things are the best $20 ever

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So it's making boost now like it should?

It appears that way. It was snowing and I have to route the boost gauge to make 100% sure, but side eyeing the gauge I saw it move and heard the BOV close.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

EvilBeard posted:

It appears that way. It was snowing and I have to route the boost gauge to make 100% sure, but side eyeing the gauge I saw it move and heard the BOV close.

gently caress yeah. Good news after the earlier scare.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i finally got the passenger window reinstalled in my car, so i could wash it and now i can street park it.

this is much less cool than installing a blower on an LS3 like above, but it means i can finally drive my car to work and stop relying on my truck, which really needs a rest and some maintenance.

this thing has been sitting under a tree for six months, the procedure has been much more involved than i initially thought. the glass came un-glued from the "shoes" that run in the tracks, and was monkey-hosed by the previous owner at least once before. it had at least 3 kinds of adhesive in it, when there was only supposed to be one, and one of those appeared to be hot glue.

anyway, now it is all re-glued and greased and seems to be working ok. amazing sometimes how much extra work it is to do a project right instead of just slamming it together

now i can close the 99999 tabs of information i had open for this, lol

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
You can also bleed a cooling system with a tool that uses shop air to create a vacuum in the cooling system prior to fill-up. Such a tool is the only way I have ever been able to fully bleed the cooling system on my SC400 and get good heat.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Seriously PPO? My van has been draining the battery overnight for a while. As I was loving up my dash to add a cutoff switch in the cabin I finally found the culprit; poorly installed GPS.

If you are going to install annoying poo poo at least put it on the right circuit, nearly stranded me half a dozen times.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

PBCrunch posted:

You can also bleed a cooling system with a tool that uses shop air to create a vacuum in the cooling system prior to fill-up. Such a tool is the only way I have ever been able to fully bleed the cooling system on my SC400 and get good heat.

I literally replaced the radiator on this car years back and had no issue on refill. I wasn't kidding when I said it's normally very easygoing

Chunjee posted:

Seriously PPO? My van has been draining the battery overnight for a while. As I was loving up my dash to add a cutoff switch in the cabin I finally found the culprit; poorly installed GPS.

If you are going to install annoying poo poo at least put it on the right circuit, nearly stranded me half a dozen times.

People love to hack in electrical poo poo. I think they grossly underestimate how badly you can gently caress it up

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

All on the Fit:

Installed an intake

Test-fit some wheels

And lowered the rear

The front was going to be lowered as well, of course, but the top nuts on both front struts were seized and the internal threaded rod broke one one of them so I just ponied up for two new KYB units and new top mounts and some new sway bar links while I was at it. So I’ll probably button it all up at the end of the week if everything shows up. I’ll probably order some KYB shocks for the rear soon as well, but the shocks back there are in great condition.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Raluek posted:

now i can close the 99999 tabs of information i had open for this, lol

Me armano!
Thank God Chrome (and Edge, because also Chromium) added tab grouping.

Panty Saluter posted:

People love to hack in electrical poo poo. I think they grossly underestimate how badly you can gently caress it up

Speaking of electrical poo poo and vans, buddy of mine was trying to get his Dodge van running to go get it inspected. He doesn't drive it much, if at all the last year - it's a backup vehicle (and basically storage, because van) - and it threw a CEL when he got it started. Turns out rodents had chewed wiring under the hood. Given what he said, I'm surprised it ran at all. Guess I'll be helping with that, since he's very bucks-down.
He's very against killing things, even when they're a nuisance, but I think this and the racoon in his attic put him over the edge. He shot the 'coon with a pellet gun after it evading trapping the 200th time in several years. It tore the poo poo out of his attic space. He's in the middle of a city, but has like a half acre back yard that's mostly wilderness, somehow, which seems to encourage critters.

edit: in new radio news, it's kind of pissing me off. Might get ripped out and go back to Amazon.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Heh, might have tripped over my own feet. I didn't fill the overflow until afyer I shut the car down and when i came back it was empty this morning. Pulled the lower hose and it had coolant. Started blowing heat quick this time

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Me armano!
Thank God Chrome (and Edge, because also Chromium) added tab grouping.

Speaking of electrical poo poo and vans, buddy of mine was trying to get his Dodge van running to go get it inspected. He doesn't drive it much, if at all the last year - it's a backup vehicle (and basically storage, because van) - and it threw a CEL when he got it started. Turns out rodents had chewed wiring under the hood. Given what he said, I'm surprised it ran at all. Guess I'll be helping with that, since he's very bucks-down.
He's very against killing things, even when they're a nuisance, but I think this and the racoon in his attic put him over the edge. He shot the 'coon with a pellet gun after it evading trapping the 200th time in several years. It tore the poo poo out of his attic space. He's in the middle of a city, but has like a half acre back yard that's mostly wilderness, somehow, which seems to encourage critters.

edit: in new radio news, it's kind of pissing me off. Might get ripped out and go back to Amazon.

Rodent spray is nice, if you don't want to splurge for the tape. I spray all my vehicles under the hood since I live up against a wooded area.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Edit: double post

I ordered the AN and EFI fittings I need to relocate the flex fuel sensor to a more hidden location. I can't wait to get this tuned.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 14, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Coolant good, brake pedal soft as shite. Bled all the lines and only a small improvement. So either it's a bench bleed and/or master cylinder replacement :mrwhite:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Took the C10 to get some exhaust work done because the previous butcher had the pipe bent over a chair or something and it hung stupid low. Anyway the entire system is different sizes and grade of pipe all welded together including to the headers so they wouldn’t touch it. Going to get some new headers and get a custom 3” side exit system done. They did a deal for me (like State Farm does I bet) and would give me a better price for putting stickers on the truck and letting them out pictures of it up on their website. We will see.

Today it is off to have the frame pulled back at the front, mount the front bumper, align the fender and door. Will also talk about paint for it since it is in that uncanny valley of looking crap but not ratty or patina’d.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The brake pedal is firming up on the Integra. Probably just need to re-bed the pads. Rotors still look lovely and there's some questionable squealing so it's probably pad and rotor time anyway. I was thinking some mild "better than stock" pads, maybe the Hawk HPS. Anything bitey at low temp, recommendations welcome

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Panty Saluter posted:

The brake pedal is firming up on the Integra. Probably just need to re-bed the pads. Rotors still look lovely and there's some questionable squealing so it's probably pad and rotor time anyway. I was thinking some mild "better than stock" pads, maybe the Hawk HPS. Anything bitey at low temp, recommendations welcome

How much dust will you tolerate? If it's a street car, I wouldn't put hawks on it personally. I had a car with HPS and HP+ and they will not keep your wheels clean for long.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
When I put speakers in my CR-V a few months ago, I noticed that the plastic clip on the latch end of the rod that connects the interior door handle to the latch was broken. It took me well over an hour of attempts to get the door panel and interior handle installed without letting the rod disconnect from the latch.

I wanted to put in some pretty big surface-mount aftermarket tweeters that won't fit in the stock location, so I took the door panel off again to explore places to drill the hole for the tweeters. So I ordered a new clip from the Honda dealer. Nine freaking dollars for a plastic clip roughly the size of a nickel. I would normally go junkyard for a part like this, but it takes a little while to get to, and I think I might break it while trying to get it out of the latch.

I have also discovered that draining well over a gallon of water out of my air compressor makes my cheapo sand blaster work much better. I've been blasting the 18" Dodge Charger wheels I put on my 93 Toyota Pickup when it isn't winter. The original finish on the wheels is shot around the edges with lots of corrosion. Chemical stripper didn't make a dent in the finish. I did everything I could reach with a braided wire wheel on an angle grinder and the sand blaster is getting the rest.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'm uh....not all that fussed about brake dust :v:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

A rear shock mount suddenly died on my E91.

Whoops. That is going to cost me. I thought to myself right before I hit braaaap braaapp, "this is ok to impact back on as long as I only use setting 1 or 2." So I accidentally flipped it to max power.

Oh well, I ordered the matching upgraded Bilsteins that are already on the front and a set of HR sport springs since I've got everything torn apart.

I abandoned the wagon after ruining the shock and tried to take some 20 year old tint off of the M3.

The side windows came off mostly fine.

But the back window did not cooperate and just screams pull me over right now. That is going to be extremely miserable to get off. Does anyone have any tips to get this stuff off without chopping through the rear window defroster? The tint separated and the base layer is still attached to the window in parts if it's not clear from the picture. I may just take it to a shop and have them do it.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 17, 2022

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ThirstyBuck posted:

. Does anyone have any tips to get this stuff off without chopping through the rear window defroster?

Only thing that consistently works after doing this job on a number of 25+ year old cars:
A box of razors, an amount of at least 91% isopropyl, and an afternoon. Razor and dab alcohol and pull as you go, giving the alcohol time. Razor around the defroster lines and try to pull over them.

Or pay someone else to do it.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Or pay someone else to do it.

Thanks I was afraid that would be the case. I used a heat gun and razor blades for the side windows. I am all but guaranteed to chop the defroster.

I’ll call around and get some quotes.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Do plastic razors work? They've been a lifesaver when I need to remove an old registration sticker

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ThirstyBuck posted:

Thanks I was afraid that would be the case. I used a heat gun and razor blades for the side windows. I am all but guaranteed to chop the defroster.

I’ll call around and get some quotes.

You can solder defroster line back together, it'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I had good results using a steam cleaner to heat up and pull it off. Also man is the thread title hitting home a bit too much.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 17, 2022