Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

NameHurtBrain posted:

There's very likely a game in the SVR era where John Cena is as fast as Rey Mysterio, stronger than the Big Show, capable of taking more damage than the Undertaker.
imo it’s good that they went for realism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NameHurtBrain posted:

WWE Games didn't have stats in the way of the OVR system until HCTP. Firepro had them for a long time(I know they exist but I couldn't tell you the history), AKI games had a bit of a ratio system. There's other ways to do stats so that Rey Mysterio moves faster than Mark Henry, but Henry does more damage with the same move than Mysterio.

The OVR system I've always disliked because it seems dedicated to maintaining card hierarchy than emphasizing strengths and weaknesses. There's very likely a game in the SVR era where John Cena is as fast as Rey Mysterio, stronger than the Big Show, capable of taking more damage than the Undertaker.

It's a bit lame. It's like if Street Fighter decided that Ryu, being the poster boy, is better by design than Blanka, because gently caress you for liking Blanka. There are occasional characters who are worse on purpose, such as Dan or Sean, but they're the exception not the rule. A skilled Dan player is going to be able to beat an equally skilled player using a higher tier character regularly and achieve a much healthier W-L ratio than two equally skilled 2k20 players choosing to do a few matches of No Way Jose vs. Brock Lesnar.

Have you considered that if you are able to have fun with a WWE game it will destroy your verisimilitude?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
But both players would lose 100 times in a row to the ultimate crack smoking warlock.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

But both players would lose 100 times in a row

jesus WEP posted:

imo it’s good that they went for realism

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
2k22 GM Mode you if you try to book anyone to win two weeks in a row a pixelated Vince slides onto screen and yells at you

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Drakkel posted:

2k22 GM Mode you if you try to book anyone to win two weeks in a row a pixelated Vince slides onto screen and yells at you

Whoa there pal, what do you think you're doing? Didn't you mean to push Roman Reigns
PUSH ROMAN GOD drat IT OR YOU'RE FIIIIIIIIRED!
Game over screen.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
wrestlers should have ovr for ppl who want to do sims and efeds or have a single player challenge and be flattened for online/local multiplayer so ppl can play their favorites, everyone's happy

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

normal mode and fun mode

it should be possible for rey mysterio to vertical suplex brock lesnar if i want to do that

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

normal mode and fun mode

it should be possible for rey mysterio to vertical suplex brock lesnar if i want to do that

*like universe tournaments, fun mode is permanently greyed out*

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I wonder if the pods still always unlock in the exact same order in the Elimination Chamber.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

I wonder if tag matches still always end in a count out because your partner's legs are made of impenetrable steel beams.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

shiksa posted:

wrestlers should have ovr for ppl who want to do sims and efeds or have a single player challenge and be flattened for online/local multiplayer so ppl can play their favorites, everyone's happy
Legitimately, having a tuned and balanced set of 10(?) wrestlers for competitive online play, enabling CAW and the full roster for unranked online play, and shifting career mode to a FIFAesque system where you unlock set upgrades based on counting achievements so your playstyle determines your skill development seems like the optimal solution but will also please nobody soooooo

Eta: The ten wrestlers are different attires of Brock and Roman.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAw4zzL2VtE

Y'all got a spare 55 minutes for a Rumblethon highlights video?

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
That's the other element - the other 2K Sports games have OVR systems as well and 2K wants parity and WWE wants to be a real sport(except when its not?). Those games aren't E-sports either, and not every game should be. But utlimately...

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

normal mode and fun mode

Pretty much this. WWE games and other sports games too an extent, are too obsessed with forcing you into just being a simulation of the existing product. gently caress that. Sure, give us a mode where Brock just beats everyone forever because if some people want that, but also give us a mode that lets Carmella end up as WWE champion. If you have to have a stat system, maybe a randomization element where said WWE Champion Carmella gets a streak of Brock stats, so you end up with people having memories of their broadways of Sami Zayn vs. Carmella at the Main Event of Wrestlemania.

There should be an option of making it a playground. 60-man Royal Rumble, greater than the greatest? Should be an option. Want to turn the Royal Rumble into Aztec Warfare? Should be an option. Fondest memories are doing that in the AKI memories and it sucks you can't do that in more modern games. Intergender should be an option too, people want to play their faves, and with the fighting game analogy Chun Li isn't forced to only fight Cammy and Sakura.

Ditto for UFC games. Last time I checked, Openweight wasn't an option. gently caress you, Strawweight vs. Super Heavyweight freak show matches. Weight classes exist for a reason in real sports, yes, but my video game isn't about fair competition. It's about fun.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

NameHurtBrain posted:

Ditto for UFC games. Last time I checked, Openweight wasn't an option. gently caress you, Strawweight vs. Super Heavyweight freak show matches. Weight classes exist for a reason in real sports, yes, but my video game isn't about fair competition. It's about fun.

You actually have been able to do mixed and openweight fights for the last couple UFC games. It makes the physics-based collision real, real goofy, and if you look really closely you can see the character models forcibly changing size slightly when they go into grappling positions to make the animations work. In other words it's perfect.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I think one of the biggest issues with the 2K games, and the THQ games before that, is that they're so hyperfocused on creating a super realistic simulation of something that's choreographed to begin with. So you're trying to faithfully recreate something that isn't even real. It's like if Activision made a Call of Duty game but instead of playing a soldier in WW2 you're playing an actor portraying a soldier in a movie about WW2 but the gameplay still treats it like you're doing the real thing.

What made games like All-Stars fun is that they weren't trying to simulate the thing that wrestling is pretending to be, it was what wrestling looked like to your dumb childhood brain and turns out that's actually really fun to play.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The problem with THQ/2k isn't necessarily that it's trying to be a simulation- Fire Pro is pretty sim-heavy, but with concessions to gameplay in some key areas, and its mechanics emulate the flow of a match. The 2k games feel like they're trying to simulate some parts of a match but kinda do it the wrong way, like it's all surface.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

CarlCX posted:

You actually have been able to do mixed and openweight fights for the last couple UFC games. It makes the physics-based collision real, real goofy, and if you look really closely you can see the character models forcibly changing size slightly when they go into grappling positions to make the animations work. In other words it's perfect.

It will never be perfect unless they put Pride FC mode back in.

You can pry the copy of Undisputed 3 from my cold, dead hands.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

there will not be a ufc game as good as undisputed 3

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

STONE COLD 64 posted:

there will not be a ufc game as good as undisputed 3

This is fact. Doing career mode as a striker and signing over to PRIDE so you can just 12-6 knee and soccer kick your way to victory was so amazing. So was it announcing your style based on what you levelled up

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
There was so much weird customization poo poo in EA UFC 4 but its all locked behind dogshit micro transactions stuff, i was really thinking of doing a Kumite eFed until i saw that

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

projecthalaxy posted:

This is fact. Doing career mode as a striker and signing over to PRIDE so you can just 12-6 knee and soccer kick your way to victory was so amazing. So was it announcing your style based on what you levelled up

The game had the GOAT announcer Lenne Hardt doing the PRIDE intros. Goddamn that game was so good.

It’s absolutely insane how backwards we’ve gone in the quality of punchsport games. Not even rosy-colored glasses, I play them today and they’re better.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

https://twitter.com/tigerdriver9x/status/1494711482881351684?s=21

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:rubby:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wwe product..... bad?!!??!?!?!?!?!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The no 3/4 ways makes sense to some degree as that obviously adds more complexity than they probably want to have (you'd want a way to model who's feuding with who at least) but still lol.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
The GM mode also appears to be limiting starting rosters to only 8-10 wrestlers, so enjoy booking endless rematches, just like the real product.

And you need to buy powerups to be able to choose who wins the matches?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mF7ydVldnA

Here's a video that actually plays the draft and the first week

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In fairness that's kinda what it was like in the older games too. (And in Fire Promoter, actually)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/notKHRIS/status/1494723441035030530?t=-Ajd28e_lOy2BKaiX_VCkg&s=19

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

MDICKIE BUILT A GM MODE IN A CAVE!!
WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

The older games had more of an issue that the roster was so abysmally thin at the time they were making those games that you basically had to just book John Cena vs Randy Orton every single week

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The no custom brands thing was so obviously gonna be the case. They don't want people streaming AEW, GCW or New Japan in their WWE game

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

The no custom brands thing was so obviously gonna be the case. They don't want people streaming AEW, GCW or New Japan in their WWE game

don't see why when it would make them all look like poo poo due to the game underneath. might as well take em down with you

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

please dont gently caress up universe, that is all i ask. but you will. you always do.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Should have a special international mode where you can do WWE vs NOAH, with bonuses for the oldest main eventers you book.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

X JAKK posted:

MDICKIE BUILT A GM MODE IN A CAVE!!
WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!

2K is NOT MDickie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Should have a special international mode where you can do WWE vs NOAH, with bonuses for the oldest main eventers you book.

Trying to book Muta/HHH just gives you an auto error message as neither wants to lose